Trivia on Sky Princess

Veranda View II

Just off the Sky yesterday.  The two assistant CDs (Oz from Honduras and Maria from Serbia) we saw hosting trivia seemed to try to make it fun, not cut throat.  There was a morning and afternoon general trivia and a themed trivia in the evenings (TV show Friends, Broadway, Science, etc.)  

29 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

It depends a lot on the players. Some times there are participants who take the gave very seriously and argue about the answers.

And all that just to try and win a cheap Princess branded prize. 🤔🤔

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

And all that just to try and win a cheap Princess branded prize. 🤔🤔

what do you mean "just"????

We are a casual trivia couple who attends maybe one trivia game per cruise.  We don't generally join with a group.  We have yet to win a trinket, in fact we have yet to come even remotely close, but when we do, we will mount that trinket on some form of pedestal and tell everyone on Cruise critic over and over about how much better life is now that we have won that prize!

Until then, humbly yours,

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

14 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

what do you mean "just"????

We are a casual trivia couple who attends maybe one trivia game per cruise.  We don't generally join with a group.  We have yet to win a trinket, in fact we have yet to come even remotely close, but when we do, we will mount that trinket on some form of pedestal and tell everyone on Cruise critic over and over about how much better life is now that we have won that prize!

Until then, humbly yours,

Don

Sorry if you misunderstood my post... 

I meant the people who argue about the answers with the staff..

I won a coaster once. 😉😉

I just saw a post on Facebook in a Princess group where somebody was complaining about people using Google to win in trivia. We never play trivia, but I'm curious as to what people here think about that. It's sort of like using Google to solve crossword puzzles, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

I just saw a post on Facebook in a Princess group where somebody was complaining about people using Google to win in trivia. We never play trivia, but I'm curious as to what people here think about that. It's sort of like using Google to solve crossword puzzles, isn't it?

Using any electronic means to get an answer for trivia is cheating in my opinion.  Why bother even going if you're going to do that?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The assistant cruise directors last week on the Regal were great at watching for people using electronic devices. The only problem was that many of the passengers had been on the ship for several previous cruises. For one trivia, the winning team had a perfect score, and second place was four points behind. 

The repeats were especially evident in the evening trivias. I think they have fewer of them prepared. And I recognized a couple of trivias from my cruise in December on the Caribbean Princess. They must pass them around. 

6 hours ago, paul929207 said:

Most of the time the person running the game will say No Electronic Devices. That doesn't necessarily stop cheaters.

agree just like speed limit signs on highways do not make people go the limit or slightly over.

When we tell kids not to touch something, that is what they want to do.

I do not ever play trivia on any ship, but I go to just listen and watch which is quite entertaining in itself.

One time on a Celebrity ship, the Hotel director asked CD if he could do the trivia and also made up all the questions.  Was quite good too.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

That's a symptom associated with people that have lost their inability to relax and enjoy the simpler things in life.  I love trivia but only for fun...plus helps me learn a few useless facts to throw out during conversation with my grandkids. LOL!!!  

• Like 2

In the more distant past I have written and co hosted with a staff member some trivia quizzes. The quizzes were written to be easy. What I found was that teams that generally dominate throughout the cruise did not do so when the questions differed from the often repeated cruise trivia questions. Usually different winners with high scores. 

• Like 2

I don't see why they cannot make up 52 different sets of trivia questions on the various topic areas.  sure, reuse some questions maybe 3/4 mths later, but not the full set.  I think they are just lazy.  I would have had the teams composing new trivia questions during the pause.

I was actually at a trivia on the Golden (I believe), where one couple had kept all the quizzes they had done for many years in a big book. They looked up the answers to many of the questions. I believe sometimes they could find the exact quiz in their book. 

They were not very popular, and I think in the end they were told not to bring their book to trivia anymore.

5 minutes ago, RMMariner said:

I was actually at a trivia on the Golden (I believe), where one couple had kept all the quizzes they had done for many years in a big book. They looked up the answers to many of the questions. I believe sometimes they could find the exact quiz in their book. 

They were not very popular, and I think in the end they were told not to bring their book to trivia anymore.

I always question what satisfaction someone could get from that sort of behavior.  We only cruise once a year (8-10 days) and going to a Trivia Game would be great to do well...but not because we already knew all the answers!  🙂 

People do repeat trivia games so they can appear like they know absolutely every useless fact known to man?

OMG! This is so hilarious. I needed this thread right now.

We saw trivia happening several times on the Enchanted last month, but it didn't appear to be anything formal. Everyone was just shouting out answers, so no actual scores were being kept. This was in Princess Live.

People never cease to amaze me. The things people do to give themselves a false sense of..... well, I'm not sure exactly what sort of good feelz can be achieved by  cheating at trivia on a cruise. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmkub said:

People do repeat trivia games so they can appear like they know absolutely every useless fact known to man?

OMG! This is so hilarious. I needed this thread right now.

We saw trivia happening several times on the Enchanted last month, but it didn't appear to be anything formal. Everyone was just shouting out answers, so no actual scores were being kept. This was in Princess Live.

People never cease to amaze me. The things people do to give themselves a false sense of..... well, I'm not sure exactly what sort of good feelz can be achieved by  cheating at trivia on a cruise. 

Cheers!

Agree with you 100%. I watched a trivia contest on a CB cruise once and I couldn’t believe the competitiveness and how serious some people are. It was obvious they had seen some of the questions before 

• 2 years later...

I am a competitive trivia player too.  The actual prize is not why I play (i give them away to kids onboard). But I like to test my mind.  That is why most amateur sportmen compete in games...to test the limits of their skill.   My mind is my particular skill.

• Thanks 1