The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

23 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I am doing this reluctantly.  Every time I attach this file, I get criticized like crazy.  Folks hate that I provide a gratuity on day one. I had someone say I was unbelievable rude to do this approach. So since you asked for it, I will provide it with an explanation.

The support you have here is overwhelming. You are way too nice for it, but if anyone has a problem with your methods, refer them to me. I don't mind telling them where to stick their criticism.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, CTnewcruiser said:

I was wondering about the luggage tags - are the Haven tags supposed to be different?  We booked our trip very last minute and planned to just use the downloaded ones, but they don’t say “Haven” or “Priority” or anything, just “Lime.”  

Lime is the section of the ship. Room number will get them there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

so all the decks below deck 14 on the Joy, forward facing Haven suites have normal sized balconies? 

No, Joy has PrivaSea on deck 13 (like most of the BA/BA Plus ships). Escape has it on deck 14.

For Joy, go lower than deck 13 (you can't go above 13 since deck 14 is the bridge).

• Like 1

@Sthrngary I liked your letter and find it very thorough and well done. I am in year 32 as an educator - saw you had been one. There is magic when you walk onto a ship and turn off the decision brain.  Our first Haven experience is March 2922 on the Breakaway. I am so excited. Thank you for your help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Thank you for sharing , It gives me some ideas as to how to compose my letter to our butler 😄 I have a draft started of everyone's likes/dis-likes and snack requests, I must admit I am surprised , and pleased by teenagers request for fruit and granola bars VS candy 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sthrngary!!  (Anyone else, you can ignore this post unless you are very bored)
Because of your last thread we bid on the Haven for our TA on the Escape and your history (43 cruises) made me think about & summarize our history.  Fortunately, I have a website for our record and not much else to do until we leave in April. 
We have a lot in common starting with inside cabins and moving on up as we got older.  We are mid 70s about 10 years ahead of you.

After cruising in the 90s (think “Love Boat” vibe) my Mom’s situation kept us mostly at home until 2011.
Through 2020 we did 23 cruises but many were B2B which I still counted as 1 each.  Most of these were booked to connect with extended land tours (Usually OAT) or on our own. I have 5 speeding tickets (Slovakia, Hungary, France) as documentation. Yes, I paid them. We prefer to stay out a long time once we fly somewhere.  So our total trips are nearly 50 since 2011.

COVID changed all that. Feb 2020 we got 1 in before the world shut down (1 week in Easter Island for the annual Tapaki Rapa Nui Festival followed by 2 weeks around S America on the Star.
Now it looks like “on our own” is thing of the past. Better for us to stay in somebody’s bubble.

2021 December on the Windstar Wind Surf was great. 
Our first “luxury” experience.  We booked another

2022 (2 trips planned – really 5 B2B)  Hope we get our Haven bid accepted – 65 days total

2023 (2 trips planned – really 7 B2B) 90 days total!

Thank you again!
Eileen
www.brigs.us/portfolio

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BklynBorn47 said:

Thank you Sthrngary!!  (Anyone else, you can ignore this post unless you are very bored)
Because of your last thread we bid on the Haven for our TA on the Escape and your history (43 cruises) made me think about & summarize our history.  Fortunately, I have a website for our record and not much else to do until we leave in April. 
We have a lot in common starting with inside cabins and moving on up as we got older.  We are mid 70s about 10 years ahead of you.

After cruising in the 90s (think “Love Boat” vibe) my Mom’s situation kept us mostly at home until 2011.
Through 2020 we did 23 cruises but many were B2B which I still counted as 1 each.  Most of these were booked to connect with extended land tours (Usually OAT) or on our own. I have 5 speeding tickets (Slovakia, Hungary, France) as documentation. Yes, I paid them. We prefer to stay out a long time once we fly somewhere.  So our total trips are nearly 50 since 2011.

COVID changed all that. Feb 2020 we got 1 in before the world shut down (1 week in Easter Island for the annual Tapaki Rapa Nui Festival followed by 2 weeks around S America on the Star.
Now it looks like “on our own” is thing of the past. Better for us to stay in somebody’s bubble.

2021 December on the Windstar Wind Surf was great. 
Our first “luxury” experience.  We booked another

2022 (2 trips planned – really 5 B2B)  Hope we get our Haven bid accepted – 65 days total

2023 (2 trips planned – really 7 B2B) 90 days total!

Thank you again!
Eileen
www.brigs.us/portfolio

@BklynBorn47That is one heck of a story.  Thank you for sharing.  I am sure you will get your Haven Bid and have a nice time.  Let me know how I can assist.  

Cruise well.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2022 at 12:26 PM, Sthrngary said:

Prior to going on your cruise, you will have to go online to do a digital check in.  As the cruise gets closer, you will choose your check-in time which will link you to having a reservation for the port covid test.  They will send you a barcode.  Print it or download it to your phone.  I did both.  I hope that helps.

Cruise well.

Are you not aware of the fact that there will no longer be port testing effective March1, 2022  and that passengers will be required to have completed their testing before arriving at the port? 

14 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Are you not aware of the fact that there will no longer be port testing effective March1, 2022  and that passengers will be required to have completed their testing before arriving at the port? 

Some of this info could be obsolete soon as protocols are changing rapidly, sometimes back and forth, so gotta cut some slack here. It's the passengers responsibility to check to see what sort of protocols will be in place at the time of sailing. 

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Some of this info could be obsolete soon as protocols are changing rapidly, sometimes back and forth, so gotta cut some slack here. It's the passengers responsibility to check to see what sort of protocols will be in place at the time of sailing. 

I could not agree with you more.  My best example was going to the Bahamas in August.  The rules changed every week.  If I did not go to the CruiseCritic.com blog for that brand, I would have been lost.  My posting was the experience I had recently.  Who knows if it will be the same of different even with the announcement of March 1, 2022. Thank you for your comment.

Cruise well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I am aware and maybe should have included that.  On this issue, it is so fluid.  I just wanted folks to know what the current situation was.  So hard to not write something like this when by the time you have written, it is obsolete.  I did the best I could for the tough topic of every changing rules.

Cruise well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I could not agree with you more.  My best example was going to the Bahamas in August.  The rules changed every week.  If I did not go to the CruiseCritic.com blog for that brand, I would have been lost.  My posting was the experience I had recently.  Who knows if it will be the same of different even with the announcement of March 1, 2022. Thank you for your comment.

Cruise well.

Yes, AND the rules/protocols can even change once you are onboard and have set sail - this happened to us in August 2021 

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Sthrngary, for your lengthy work in putting together these informative posts.  We will be utilizing much of the information provided in our upcoming cruise.  Also, thank you for taking the high road in responding to......detractors.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gary,

I am SO glad you created this new document.  My husband and I will be in a two-bedroom Haven on the Encore August 14-21, 2022.   I would never have been able to get him to read your excellent first article.  This one, however, is perfect.  I printed it out (only 12 pages) and he will gladly read it as we approach our cruise.   Thank you so very much for doing all this work for us.

Have a fabulous cruise in December and I hope your wife wins the championship!!!   Kathy  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, I would like to say thank you, Gary, for taking the time to create a guide like this for Haven first-timers to try and help them get the most out of their experience. (You have done what NCL should do.)  I recognize that it takes a generosity of spirit and a lot of time to put something like this together and I'm sure you are going to help many people through your efforts.

That said, I would like to add that it is the responsibility of every cruiser to do their own research. What Gary has put together is HIS experience and opinion and his post should be taken in that spirit.  As someone who has cruised in the Haven many times, I have a different experience, opinion and approach to Haven cruising.  It doesn't mean I am a "detractor", and I am not going to use Gary's thread to list where we differ (if I want to share my opinion on how to best experience the Haven, I would/should take the time to put my own thread together!)

The bottom line is that everyone should keep in mind that they are reading ONE person's opinion and advice. It should be considered as ONE reference in your cruise preparation,  along with other research you will do. And you SHOULD do other research!  Read other passenger reviews, thoroughly read through the NCL site  when it comes to critical things like Covid guidelines, etc. and use your own good judgment! 😊

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Your post were my go to when I booked my first Haven suite on the Getaway.  The information you provided was perfect and I still refer to your post when I have questions.  Thank You!!

Edited by TSUmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pcakes122 said:The bottom line is that everyone should keep in mind that they are reading ONE person's opinion and advice. It should be considered as ONE reference in your cruise preparation,  along with other research you will do. And you SHOULD do other research!  Read other passenger reviews, thoroughly read through the NCL site  when it comes to critical things like Covid guidelines, etc. and use your own good judgment! 😊

I could not agree with this more.  I found the info Gary provided in the original thread to be incredibly helpful and am grateful for the time and effort.  However, we are onboard now, and our experience has been quite different from what we expected.  

I’m planning on writing up my thoughts after we disembark in order to share another perspective.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ElizaSTN said:

I could not agree with this more.  I found the info Gary provided in the original thread to be incredibly helpful and am grateful for the time and effort.  However, we are onboard now, and our experience has been quite different from what we expected.  

I’m planning on writing up my thoughts after we disembark in order to share another perspective.

Thank you for your kind words.  I personally would love to read your review.  Much appreciated.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

First, I would like to say thank you, Gary, for taking the time to create a guide like this for Haven first-timers to try and help them get the most out of their experience. (You have done what NCL should do.)  I recognize that it takes a generosity of spirit and a lot of time to put something like this together and I'm sure you are going to help many people through your efforts.

That said, I would like to add that it is the responsibility of every cruiser to do their own research. What Gary has put together is HIS experience and opinion and his post should be taken in that spirit.  As someone who has cruised in the Haven many times, I have a different experience, opinion and approach to Haven cruising.  It doesn't mean I am a "detractor", and I am not going to use Gary's thread to list where we differ (if I want to share my opinion on how to best experience the Haven, I would/should take the time to put my own thread together!)

The bottom line is that everyone should keep in mind that they are reading ONE person's opinion and advice. It should be considered as ONE reference in your cruise preparation,  along with other research you will do. And you SHOULD do other research!  Read other passenger reviews, thoroughly read through the NCL site  when it comes to critical things like Covid guidelines, etc. and use your own good judgment! 😊

@pcakes122Your above post is one of the best I have read in a while.  The bottom line is we all should do our due diligence and take accountability for our research. One persons opinion is just that, their likes or interpretation. I hope everyone takes your advice. Well Done.

Cruise well.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ElizaSTN said:

Maybe post any issues right now and others MAY be able to help you resolve them and you can enjoy your cruise much more.

• Like 2

Thank you Sthrngary and everyone who has contributed to these wonderful Haven threads. I've learned so much (and yes, read all 1500+ posts on the first thread). We cruised in the Haven on Breakaway in Feb 2020 and had a wonderful time. I could use some advice about which ship has the "best" Haven (thoughts on the best courtyard and sundeck spaces, hot tubs and snack and bar services)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarionH said:

Thank you Sthrngary and everyone who has contributed to these wonderful Haven threads. I've learned so much (and yes, read all 1500+ posts on the first thread). We cruised in the Haven on Breakaway in Feb 2020 and had a wonderful time. I could use some advice about which ship has the "best" Haven (thoughts on the best courtyard and sundeck spaces, hot tubs and snack and bar services)

Thank you for the complement.  Your question of which Haven is the best is a tough one.  If I had to choose it would be the Encore or the Bliss.  The Joy would be a strong third. As you know I just sailed on the Joy and had a wonderful time.  The Encore and Bliss are newer ships.  They are designed very similar. I choose the Joy because it was also the same size as the Encore and Bliss however it was less expensive to be in the Haven.  

The courtyards are all nice but I rarely spend much time there.  I prefer the Haven Sundeck because it is outside and has two huge Hot Tubs.  I personally think it is nice to have a Suite in the Courtyard however if the price is right, I am all in to a Haven Suite on different decks. 

The snacks that are brought every day are nice, not great but nice.  After the first few days, you realize you are eating to much and the snacks don't get eaten.  I hate waste.  The bar service is my favorite on the ship and the Bartenders in the Haven Bar know their stuff.  

I hope that helps.

Cruise well.

• Like 1