Laundry questions

Cruise Suzy

6 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

QUERY: We are on the Rotterdam in July.  Can we purchase the unlimited laundry package in advance of the cruise or do I have to waiting until arrival on the ship?  I would like to purchase in advance on-line or by calling HAL.

From my previous post (#17)

Already Booked -> Cruise Activities -> Gifts & Indulgences -> Packages

15 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

You must purchase the laundry package for the entire cruise - $7/day ($9/day in Europe)

HAL's laundry package is a bargain, compared to Celebrity! Last month on the Millennium they had a "laundry bag challenge" one day:

"Pack as much laundry as you can in a paper Celebrity laundry bag, without tearing the bag, and all items will be washed and folded for only $49.95." 

😮

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Please excuse my ignorance; I’m an experienced cruiser but am about to embark on my first ever HAL cruise. 

The Unlimited Laundry Package is listed as including wash, dry, and fold. If I send items that would usually be pressed and hung (such as button up shirts) will they charge me for pressing or just return them folded. I wasn’t planning on purchasing the pressing package. 

3378A3B5-35A9-4DD9-972C-9DC48C492859.png

@Sparky74 Each time you send clothes to be laundered, there is a place to choose "folded" or "on hangers". If choosing "folded", everything will come back folded. If choosing "on hangers", some items (socks, underwear) will still be returned folded. We find it somewhat interesting that if we choose "on hangers", DH's undershirts come back on hangers rather than folded. Shirts with buttons come back ready-to-wear if "on hangers" is selected.

• Thanks 2

As many have said :  the laundry package is the best deal on HAL and works very well.  In july we got on NS with two full suitcases of clean clothes for a 12 day cruise.  We then spent 4 days in Amsterdam before boarding the Rotterdam for a 14 day sailing......with all of those dirty clothes.  We spread out the cleaning over the first 3-4 days ( sent in 2 bags every morning and generally had them back by end of day!) and then sent a few items every day.  Went home with all clothes cleaned and ready to put back into drawers at home.  i think it was about $100 for the 14 days!

Buy the package and dont think about it!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Please excuse my ignorance; I’m an experienced cruiser but am about to embark on my first ever HAL cruise. 

The Unlimited Laundry Package is listed as including wash, dry, and fold. If I send items that would usually be pressed and hung (such as button up shirts) will they charge me for pressing or just return them folded. I wasn’t planning on purchasing the pressing package. 

There is no need to purchase the laundry package before you board the ship.  In your closet, you will find a blue laundry bag and laundry list clipped to a pants hanger.  Fill out the list and check the box for the unlimited package.  If you have any special instructions, you can write them by the items.  You can turn in laundry in the morning and evening by leaving the filled bag on your bed for your Room Steward.  It is my experience that laundry turned in at breakfast time is returned the same day with evening turn-in returned the next morning.  Note that laundry cannot be turned in the day before disembarkation. 

If you do not check the hanger or folded box on the laundry list, everything with the exception of undershorts/panties, socks, and handkerchiefs will be on hangers.  A new laundry list and bag will be included with your returned laundry. Every item on hangers will have a laundry tape that should be removed before moving items into your closet.  Failure to do so will give you a very itchy feeling when you wear the item of clothing.  After the first laundry return, you will know where to look for the tape.

Ask your Room Steward for extra laundry bags and lists so that you can have the next bag ready without waiting for returned laundry with new bags/list. By turning in laundry both morning and evening, you will have everything in your suitcase hanging unwrinkled in your closet. 

I pack for four days with mix & match items and save a lot of luggage space that I can devote to souvenirs.

• Like 1

My question really is, if I have the unlimited (wash and fold) laundry package and send button up shirts, will they send them back folded (I’m OK with that) or will they press them and charge me it.

If they’re going to press my shirts anyway and charge me for it, I may as well buy the unlimited pressing but I’m happy to iron my own shirts. I presume there’s an iron and ironing board in the guest laundries on the Eurodam. 🤷‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

My question really is, if I have the unlimited (wash and fold) laundry package and send button up shirts, will they send them back folded (I’m OK with that) or will they press them and charge me it.

If they’re going to press my shirts anyway and charge me for it, I may as well buy the unlimited pressing but I’m happy to iron my own shirts. I presume there’s an iron and ironing board in the guest laundries on the Eurodam. 🤷‍♂️

The Eurodam does not have self-service laundry and no irons are available for passenger use.

Shirts/pants will be steamed for about 4 seconds and placed on hangers.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0693.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0692.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The Eurodam does not have self-service laundry and no irons are available for passenger use...

I wonder why I thought HAL had guest laundries. 🤷‍♂️

I’m trying to watch the pennies. This trip is a bit of a splurge but we’ve not been able to cruise in Australia for a couple of years. Alaska is expensive but who knows if we'll ever get back again. We usually book an inside guarantee but have sprung for a balcony this time. 😱

I'll just pay the extra for unlimited pressing. It’s not much in the grand scheme of things but I’m aware that all the little things add up. I think it will be worth it. 

Thanks everyone for your helpful information and advice. 

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

I'll just pay the extra for unlimited pressing.

If you send items out to be washed, they are also pressed. If you need pressing only, then you need to pay extra for the pressing package, but then you don't need the laundry package. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smarks said:

I have the Zuiderdam booked for 35 day cruise.  Do they run specials on laundry for long cruises ?  Thanks.

No specials that I have ever heard of. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are three choices for laundry....pay per piece (that would add up quickly!)....single bag full ($20)....or unlimited for the cruise for $7 per day per cabin. ($9 in Europe?).

As others have said, it's a good service!

~Nancy

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

There are three choices for laundry....pay per piece (that would add up quickly!)....single bag full ($20)....or unlimited for the cruise for $7 per day per cabin. ($9 in Europe?).

~Nancy

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

Thank You Nancy for that info.  I think I will  pack for 7 days and have laundry done just once a week.  I would love unlimited but that would be almost $500 for laundry for two.  Ouch.  Something to think about.  Thanks Again.

31 minutes ago, smarks said:

Thank You Nancy for that info.  I think I will  pack for 7 days and have laundry done just once a week.  I would love unlimited but that would be almost $500 for laundry for two.  Ouch.  Something to think about.  Thanks Again.

The $7/day is per cabin not per person. So, for a 35 day cruise, it would be up to $245. Someone else posted on the thread that the cost for their 31 day cruise was $186. 

Can you request that the Laundry Services people wash certain clothing in cold water only and hang the pieces up to dry? Every top I own requires this kind of care (to avoid shrinkage and color loss), and I would otherwise waste a lot of vacation time doing it myself in the room. That’s why it’s too bad the Westerdam doesn’t have self-laundry facilities.

2 hours ago, smarks said:

Sorry for my mistake.  I was figuring laundry for 2.  I'm so used to doing everything per person.  It is a great laundry deal.  I will be adding it to our cruise.  Thanks for the replies everybody.  Haven't been on Holland since 2012.

• Thanks 1