Laundry questions

Cruise Suzy

Have been gifted with OBC which we decided to use for the unlimited laundry package during next week's cruise. Just want to be sure I understand a couple things.

1) When the stewards pick up the bag, I hope they leave another for you to use. Otherwise, we'd have to wait for the bag to be retuned which rather negates the idea.

2) Disembarkation is on Sunday morning. Can laundry be turned in on Friday morning - or is Thursday night the last time to do this? I'm sure the stewards could tell us.

We've not had a problem with being able to pack enough clothes as we drive to the port, but it will be nice not to have a lot of laundry to sort/wash/dry/fold as soon as we return.

Thanks for input.

The bag is a cloth bag and it really holds a lot. You can cram a couple of days laundry in one pretty easy. We usually had the bag full in the morning and give it to the room steward when they clean up the room. It comes back either that day late in the afternoon, or the next day.

They do not leave a new bag. I don't believe we could dirty enough clothes to fill a bag daily. But that's just us.

If disembarkation is Sunday then the last morning you can give them laundry is Friday morning.  

• Like 1

So we have become big fans of the laundry service.....and the benefit of lite luggage.

On day 1, we ask the room steward for extra laundry forms and bags.  You get a bag back in the basket when the clean clothes come back but that's sometimes not quick enough for us when we have more to send. Get more bags on day 1. 

We send out laundry every day.....We leave it on the bed...usually in the morning before the room steward comes by (and sometimes twice a day)......It is usually back that evening or the next morning....We send out on  day 1 also with our pre cruise dirty clothes!

I do believe Friday morning would be your last chance to send dirty clothes out for a Sunday debarkation. 

For us, this is one of the best deals at sea......and this will be an even better deal when we reach 4 stars and the price drops to zero.  

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, lcand1923 said:

I put on a t-shirt last week that I hadn’t worn in a while.  On the seam was the laundry tag from my last HAL trip.  It brought a smile to my face.  Finding those laundry tags is a real treat!

Same here...they are all over our clothes....some clothes even have tags from 2 different cruises!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We cruised this past October and they have changed the laundry tag system. On some of the clothes where there is no label to attach the laundry tag they used the plastic things through the fabric and I ended up making a small hole in a couple of undershirts. You need to keep scissors or nail clippers handy. I didn't care for the new system. 

9 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We cruised this past October and they have changed the laundry tag system. On some of the clothes where there is no label to attach the laundry tag they used the plastic things through the fabric and I ended up making a small hole in a couple of undershirts. You need to keep scissors or nail clippers handy. I didn't care for the new system. 

I hope you left a strongly worded comment in your after cruise survey.  That is not good. 

You may turn in laundry twice a day, morning and evening. 

On my first two cruise days with twice-a-day laundry turn in, I have all of my wrinkled clothes laundered. If you have not requested evening turn-down service,  your Room Steward will not be coming into your room, so I would hang the evening laundry bag on your room door handle when you go to dinner.

You may turn in laundry on a Friday evening if you are disembarking on Sunday morning and it should be returned on Saturday morning.

My two December and January cruises on Nieuw Statendam and Nieuw Amsterdam did not use the plastic pins as mentioned above but used the tape system that I have experienced over a number of years.

• Thanks 1

The benefit of having the full laundry package is that you can send things out as they get 'dirty'. Even one item at a time.

I used to iron most clothing before packing but with the package I send it all for pressing when I unpack.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OVgirl said:

The benefit of having the full laundry package is that you can send things out as they get 'dirty'. Even one item at a time.

That was the part I loved on a hot, humid Caribbean cruise. Come in from the day and hit the showers and dress for dinner. Put the day clothes in the bag and send it off for the magic to happen. It would be back by the time I went to breakfast the next day. 
Always had a closet full of clean clean clothes! 

I discovered that with very little in the bag it seemed to come back faster than when I sent a full bag. 
Send a little at night, and it was back early the next morning. When I sent a full bag, it might take until the next evening. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Can you buy the laundry package before boarding or only once onboard?

thanks!

Either---your choice. But it seems to be easier, and takes less time to purchase it on board. When filling out the invoice just mark it you want the unlimited package. 
Since you have to complete the invoice anyway, and you have to mark your purchase selection, why bother to do it in advance? 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

Is it possible to just send out a couple items for pressing/dry cleaning without purchasing the package?  Sorry for my lack of knowledge regarding HAL policies, but have not cruised on this line in many many years.

HAL has a bag you can fill as described by @dogo88 above.  It is around $20 per bag

Edited by Mary229

4 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

QUERY: We are on the Rotterdam in July.  Can we purchase the unlimited laundry package in advance of the cruise or do I have to waiting until arrival on the ship?  I would like to purchase in advance on-line or by calling HAL.

You can purchase prior to booking under "Gifts & Indulgences" on the HAL website for your booking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1