Onboard Enchantment February 17-25, 2022

rafinmd

38 minutes ago, erewhon said:

@rafinmd Roy, thank you for your reports.

Hope you will have a successful visit at Port Canaveral.

25 minutes ago, BND said:

They were in PC today and are on their way to CC.

@erewhon it was originally supposed to be tomorrow but got moved today because there was a conflict with Charleston (yesterday's original port so they moved Canaveral up a day and we visit Charleston on the way back.

Roy

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

To clarify... the buffet is closed every NIGHT or just the first night? I tried to tell those on the 2/25 enchantment cruise about the closure, but they just want to argue with me about it. 

For the Feb. 5th-17th cruise it was closed every night

• Thanks 1

Definitely every night this cruise.

Day 3, Saturday, February 19, 2022, Port Canaveral, Florida

I have not done well lately sailing from Baltimore to Port Canaveral.  My last time was in March 2017 (my other time with Bobby as CD) and that time we dropped a lifeboat in Charleston and were several hours late arriving in Florida.  It was only an hour today and actually worked well for me this time.

My brother lived just south of Canaveral, and his daughter Amanda near Orlando.  We had planned on a little meeting and when we were late I delayed my pickup from 11AM to noon.  I think our arrangements worked quite well as I had just gotten to the meeting area about 11:55 when Amanda drove up.  The plan was for lunch at “Rising Tide” restaurant which was just about a quarter mile from Terminal 1 on the way to the Exploration tower.  Turns out the restaurant opened at noon so an 11AM arrival would have been awkward.

tide.jpg

In about 5 minutes Roger’s widow and second wife Adrienne joined us.  We enjoyed a very nice  lunch although my Roasted Chicken was delicious but more than I could manage for lunch.
thetable.jpg

lunch19.jpg

An interesting feature of the restaurant is that the chandeliers are created from recycled space shuttle parts.

recycled.jpg

After lunch I transferred to Adrienne’s car for a visit to Cape Canaveral National Cemetery, about 25 miles north of the port.  Roger died 2/14/21 (I was unable to attend the funeral due to medical issues and covid) and Amanda felt it was too close to the anniversary for her to handle,  

The cemetery opened in 2016 and is filling rapidly.  Roger’s grave is in the 3rd row back and we placed a few flowers at the base and said some prayers.  His first wife Pam is buried beneath him with her inscription on the back of the stone.   I was back on the ship about 4.

roger.jpg

Sunset was about 6 and perfect.   

dusk0219.jpg

I find 7:30 dining a bit too late and have moved my reservation starting Sunday to 6.  The featured Saturday entertainment was comedian George Kanter, I cheated a bit and sat in on about the first 20 minutes of the show before dinner.  He was good but I don think really great.

kanter.jpg

Another great dinner, this time the garden salad, Lamb Shank, and Apple Blossom A La Mode..  We left the port during dinner and were about 2 miles offshore when it ended.

dishes19.jpg

I did not really accomplish a lot after dinner.  I did go up to Park Café for a couple of Oatmeal Raisin cookies as my bedtime snack.  I slept very well for the night.  Sunday morning was very cloudy and windy and I walked around the bow on deck 10 at sunrise but there was nothing to see.

My parting shot will be a salute to our veterans (especially submariners) and the dignified
atmosphere of our National Cemeteries.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Roy,

It seems that the arrangements to visit Roger's grave worked out. and the visit brought you some comfort.

Glad that you seem to be enjoying the cruise, and have been able to make changes to your dinner schedule. Food looks good, the lamb shank is one of my favorites.

Mary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This ended up longer than I expected so I'll break it up a bit

Day 4, Sunday, February 20,2022, CocoCay Bahamas(before lunch)

It was quite windy most of the day.  The Saturday closure of the WJ was apparently due to maintenance of the skylight which required protective coverings over much of the room, and it was back open for breakfast and lunch as usual.

I have been to Coco Cay several times but not since the dock was opened.  I think the last time was in 2017 on Grandeur of the Seas.  While my room faced out to sea in Port Canaveral here it was facing towards the dock and about 7:30 I saw us sliding alongside the Freedom of the Seas as we approached.  It is BIG.  

atcoco.jpg

A disappointment on this cruise has been the internet.  Royal brags about the speed of their internet but I have found it glacial.  My church has been streaming their services since July and I was hoping to attend remotely today.  I had been hoping with most people off the ship and in a public area I would be able to get my service but it was not to be.  I went up to the Solarium about 10:15 packed and ready to go ashore at the end of the service but when I tried the stream there was absolutely no chance.

I had heard there was wifi on the island as well and left just after 10:30.  I arrived at a shaded bench about 10:50 and was able to “sort of” follow the service on my IPAD although it was mostly just listening since I had to hold the IPAD up to my ear.  Even with the Island’s wifi there was so much buffering and delay that the service ended for me about 20 minutes after the actual end.

On the way to my bench I did pass what must be the tallest waterslide I have ever seen; it appeared to be about as tall as the Freedom.

tallslide.jpg

I not a beach person but did take a couple of wide loops around the island.  Many of the venues now carry a surcharge but I did see a couple of nice looking free beaches.   I think the first one I noticed was called Chill Beach.  Lots of loungers free and a nice looking swimming area.  The dock structure that is the outer perimeter is a paid beach area with a separate entrance.

chillbeach.jpg

The other one I thought looked really attractive was Harbor Beach.  It is quite close to the dock.

harbrbh.jpg

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Day 4, Sunday, February 20,2022, CocoCay Bahamas (continued)

There are a number of places to get lunch on the Island, a couple with a surcharge but mostly free, The one where I stopped was quite close to the dock and only half open but still very un-crowded even with 2 ships in port.  There were a number of stations and I opted for basic beach food.  There was some chicken that looked really nice but I opted for a burger (sans bun) and corn on the cob.  While I was eating a passenger from the Freedom approached me who had noticed me listening to the service and indicated his internet was horrible as well.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2022/02/lunch20.jpg

When I at Coco Cay in 2017 I thought I had seen work on the pier in process in the distance but was apparently mistaken.  The straw market (stalls where locals sell their wares for cash) was quite close and appeared to be in the original place.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2022/02/straw.jpg

As I got closer to the pier I got a good view of Freedom and Enchantment together.  My goal for an ocean ship is about 50K to 70K GRT and while bigger than that at 81K GRT is in the ballpark, While I’m sure there would be good points to the 156K GRT Freedom I am thankful that this time I am on Enchantment.  I also noted in the photo what I assume was the original tender landing, based on the cut on the rocks and what appears to be the original tender platform. I was back on board around 2.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2022/02/muttjeff.jpg

It was mostly quite a quiet afternoon on board.  I am something of a sailaway addict and wanted to watch Freedom leave.  I think their all aboard was 4:30 and ours extended to 5 or 5:30.  I went on deck (first 10 and later 5) and watched as hordes of people returned, and 3 trains of airport baggage style carts came back with laundry, cooking gear, and other supplies and fork lifts loaded them on the 2 ships.  There were many stragglers and the last passengers arrived a little past 5.  The Freedom was just starting to move as I headed to the dining room,

I think I will return to 7:30 dinner, They are apparently not allowing strangers to share a table and while I was seated with Ruel and Alan it was a large table.  I felt it was a bit unfair to deny others access to that table.  I chose the Arugula and Radicchio salad, Chicken Parmesan, and Strawberry Ice Cream.

dishes20.jpg

Since covid broke out my congregation has been doing a fellowship period on Zoom, currently at 7PM.  I hadn’t expected to be able to join but with my door propped open and my video shut down I was able to at least chat with them for a while.

I slept well again, waking just after 5.  It is a pretty calm morning and I was able walk 30 minutes on the jogging track and the sun rose above the clouds about 15 minutes after actual sunrise,

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2022/02/dawn0221a.jpg

My parting shot today will be a word of thanks to Carnival Cruise Lines for home porting a ship in Charleston on Saturdays.  Our original itinerary was Charleston (Sat), Port Canaveral (Sun), Nassau(Mon), and Freeport(Tue).  When the conflict with Carnival happened we had to shift our itinerary, making Charleston last and replacing Freeport with Coco Cay.  Thank you Carnival for my chance to get back to Coco.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

In Port Canaveral did you dock within walking distance to restaurants (Fish Lips)?

Assuming you docked at terminal 1 I think it would be somewhere around 3/4 mile.  Exploration tower is 1/2 mile.  Rising tide is very nice and 1/4 mile but does not sit on the water.

For reference, the one lap around the jogging track is 1/4 mile.  If you dock at one of the other terminals there is NOTHING nearby.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

In Port Canaveral did you dock within walking distance to restaurants (Fish Lips)?

Where she docks depends on what other RCI ships are there - most of the time she docks at one of the far terminals where there's nothing within walking distance.

54 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Where she docks depends on what other RCI ships are there - most of the time she docks at one of the far terminals where there's nothing within walking distance.

Thank you. Where Oasis docked in October we were able to walk to Fish Lips. 

Roy, I can understand your disappointment at not being able to share a dining table.  Are you doing Anytime or Set dining?  (I'm guessing Anytime.)  When we were aboard last week, the two of us did Late Dining, and were given a round 8-top, with one solo lady also at our table, with one place between us. One night a man from Anytime, who had asked to be seated with others, was also added to our table. He did state that at Anytime, they are not allowed to seat solos with others.

Would you be comfortable committing to traditional (early or late) dining?

1 hour ago, LorraineP said:

Looks to me like about 50/50.  You can go to the Port Canaveral schedule:

https://www.portcanaveral.com/Cruise/Cruise-Lines-Schedules

and click the link at the top of the page to get a pdf of the terminal assignments,

Roy

57 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, but Enchantment many times visits on turn around days for other ships which are already at that terminal. 

If you are interested, there is a published schedule for where ships are going to dock at Port Canaveral (https://www.portcanaveral.com/getattachment/Cruise/Cruise-Lines-Schedules/CPA-Website-Schedule-Feb-Apr.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US).  For example, next week's Enchantment trip will be at the far end pier (CT10) while the Adventure will be at the regular Royal pier (CT1).  (Map of the Port Canveral:  http://www.michelledance.com/Map-PtCanaveralCrTerminal.pdf)

Jim

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, u09495 said:

I want to join the cruise critic on board group

Are you onboard now?  I don't think anything "Cruise Critic" is happening for the rest of the cruise but I hear rhere's a facebook group meeting by the rock wall at 2PM one of the remaining days.  I don't really know since I don't do facebook.

If it's a future sailing you need to go to your roll call:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/172-enchantment-of-the-seas-roll-calls/

Roy

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Roy, I can understand your disappointment at not being able to share a dining table.  Are you doing Anytime or Set dining?  (I'm guessing Anytime.)  When we were aboard last week, the two of us did Late Dining, and were given a round 8-top, with one solo lady also at our table, with one place between us. One night a man from Anytime, who had asked to be seated with others, was also added to our table. He did state that at Anytime, they are not allowed to seat solos with others.

Would you be comfortable committing to traditional (early or late) dining?

I actually started out as traditional early dining and would normally do that.  I switched this time because I wanted to be on deck 5 which is only for the fully vaccinated.  My other thought was with the WJ closed there would be very limited options if I could not make at my assigned time.  I am also giving Chops a pass this time because it does not require vaccinations.

The limited dining options are a bit of a disadvantage but it's a price I'm willing to pay for the safest possible time at sea.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Sounds like you were docked at terminal 1.    From the PC schedule it appears most RCI ships will be at T1 unless a homeported RCI ship is in that day.   We're scheduled to be at T1 on EN on April 16th.  There will be 4 other ships in PC but no other RCI ship and the others are all on their turnaround day as PC is their homeport.

Edited by BND

55 minutes ago, BND said:

Sounds like you were docked at terminal 1.    From the PC schedule it appears most RCI ships will be at T1 unless a homeported RCI ship is in that day.   We're scheduled to be at T1 on EN on April 16th.  There will be 4 other ships in PC but no other RCI ship and the others are all on their turnaround day as PC is their homeport.

On my Enchantment 3/25/22 cruise looks like on 3/28 we are docked in CT5, not within walking distance to restaurants.