Just back from Edge, thoughts on quarantine process

beerrun

We just returned from what began as a fantastic sailing on Edge.  We had nearly cancelled due to concerns with Omicron and as such consumed all the info available from relevant CC posts.  With case counts down and masks off we decided to roll the dice (our 4th cruise since the restart).

I developed a bad sore throat on night 5 and as such decided to be tested for Covid on the morning of day 6 so as to not infect fellow passengers if positive.  Medical performed the test in my cabin and stated that if it is negative I would be isolated in my cabin for 24 hours followed by another test.  A positive test would have had us moved to a "covid cabin".  I was aware of this policy, however had forgotten about the 24 hr hold with negative test.  We typically sail in inside cabins (40+ times without incident) as was the case for this sailing.  The initial test came back negative which began the 24 hr lockdown in my rapidly shrinking inside cabin.  Guest services called multiple times to check in (to make sure I was indeed isolating in the cabin I'm sure) and provided stream internet package, free movies, and room service menu extending to dining room.  Turns out inside cabins work for me as long as I can leave when I want.  Lock me in and it's full blown panic attack time (my first).   After what seamed like 6 days they returned and took a second negative test which released me back into the wild.

WHAT I'D DO DIFFERENT:

1.  Inside cabins are dead to me until the pandemic is over.  

2.  Bring aboard 2 Covid tests per person, only call medical after 2 positive results

3.  Before calling medical, throw on a N95 mask and find some fresh air away from fellow passengers ( I called after having already been in the cabin for 10 hrs).

4.  Bring tablet to stream content on Netflix etc.  The movies onboard are limited and we only enjoyed 1 of the 10 we tried.

My wife voluntarily isolated with me (she is the best!)  Medical asked if she had any symptoms- I reported that she did not.  With that they had no further interest in her condition and she was not flagged as a close contact.   To me that is bizarre and counter productive to reducing spread onboard.  I only heard the captain report 1 Covid case last week but based on all the coughing onboard I'd guess a mass testing would have resulted in many positive cases.

All in all it was a great cruise but I'll be more prepared next time just incase I'm in the "1% positive group" that we all hope to avoid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am very grateful that you did the responsible thing and called Medical to be tested after the onset of symptoms. I fear that a lot of people in that situation would just ignore their symptoms to avoid the situation you were in with having to isolate for 24 hours.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks for the report.  Did you receive any compensation for your time of quarantine?

Yes, bringing your own test is a good suggestion.

We did not ask for or receive any compensation for the time in quarantine.

• Like 1

Case counts are down but still above pre-Omicron levels.  I would not remove a mask when inside public spaces or around people, even if it's now allowed.  It's still contagious and asymptomatic people can spread it, too.  I feel like the relaxing of mask mandates is too early, especially in this type of environment.  Too easy to get stuck in your cabin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks for the report.  Did you receive any compensation for your time of quarantine?

Yes, bringing your own test is a good suggestion.

Really you expect compensation? If you get the flu on board or any other ailments, no compensation!

With the transmission rate of Omicron it should be assumed that all persons within a single cabin would have the same test result.  Not always the case I understand but this would be the most likely result.  Certainly likely enough to test her.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

Really you expect compensation? If you get the flu on board or any other ailments, no compensation!

It's a legitimate question. Right now, if you do test positive and are moved to a quarantine room for the remainder of your sailing, you receive a pro-rated refund for your time in quarantine. It's not unreasonable to be curious if something similar is done for those isolating while awaiting test results.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

It's been common on Celebrity even with Noro prior to Covid that if you are restricted to your cabin they provide FCC for the prorated cruise fare for that time.  They should have been provided 1 days worth for 1 passenger.  I believe with Covid it's actually spelled out in their policy if testing positive.

What I did find strange though is the 1 day isolation when not testing positive and no known close contact.   Did they test for influenza and other respiratory ailments?  The new CDC rules have some text about that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

It's not unreasonable to expect compensation when the ship confines you to your cabin.

12 minutes ago, beerrun said:

With the transmission rate of Omicron it should be assumed that all persons within a single cabin would have the same test result.  Not always the case I understand but this would be the most likely result.  Certainly likely enough to test her.

Celebrity has a pre-determined list of requirements to warrant testing someone. You checked one of the boxes by presenting yourself with symptoms. Your wife didn't check any of the boxes.

It really is that simple.

14 minutes ago, beerrun said:

Not necessarily  even with Omicron the vaccine has about a 40% efficacy against infection (70% if boosted with in the last 4 months)  so if both vaccinated about a 1 in 3 that they would not develop infection, if Boosted about a 2 in 3 that they would not.

Cruise with Confidence spells out that they provide compensation for suspected cases.  FCC is mentioned, I would probably have wanted one days worth of OBC.  The lines offer some compensation to protect themselves and as well as the passengers.  If there were no Cruise with Confidence plan many would not think of booking cruises.

Many instances of compensation being provided because of various quarantine events.  Many in the form of goodwill gestures of OBC; seems to help the honor system work 🙂

To be technical Cruise with Confidence policy benefits end 48 hrs prior to boarding and doesn't have anything to do with testing positive for covid.

This policy is what covers you or a member of your traveling party testing positive up to 14 days prior to the sailing through disembarkation.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

The OP's circumstance seems to be a grey area as they didn't test positive but the 1 self reporting passenger was FORCED to isolate so precedence would say they were entitled to 1 day's prorated cruise fare for the 1 passenger.  The spouse who chose to isolate with them (probably a responsible choice in my opinion) would not get anything (also precedence).

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

To be technical Cruise with Confidence policy benefits end 48 hrs prior to boarding and doesn't have anything to do with testing positive for covid.

This policy is what covers you or a member of your traveling party testing positive up to 14 days prior to the sailing through disembarkation.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

The OP's circumstance seems to be a grey area as they didn't test positive but the 1 self reporting passenger was FORCED to isolate so precedence would say they were entitled to 1 day's prorated cruise fare for the 1 passenger.  The spouse who chose to isolate with them (probably a responsible choice in my opinion) would not get anything (also precedence).

5th paragraph under the denial of embarkation or reboarding; QUARANTINE ....  covers this case the way I read the the policy it specifically covers DURING the voyage.  I hate reading policies.

Thanks for the info.  We are leaving on Reflection in a few days.  We have aft balcony cabins (3 couples) and we are all bringing two tests per person just in case one - or all of us -  start to feel symptoms.   We are leaving nothing to chance.  Actually, one of my greatest fears is that some cleaning product or scent will start me sneezing - it happens to me in certain hotel chains - and people will think I have covid!

• Like 1

Every report I have read where someone contacted Medical with symptoms or was determined to be a close contact there was a initial test and if it was negative they were quarantined in their cabin until a 2nd test 24 hours later was done.

If the 2nd test was negative they were cleared and could enjoy the cruise, if positive they were moved to isolation.  

What the OP described is what others have reported.

• Like 1