"LIVE" Ruby Princess, February 25 - March 12, SF to Fort Lauderdale. Panama Canal!

K.T.B.

I'm starting this thread just a bit early as we prepare to get going soon.  As I type this, my wife and I will be picked up to go to the airport in about 36 hours.  This is our not only our first Princess cruise, but our first 15 day cruise!  It's also our first vacation since Dec. of 2019!  So we're definitely excited and anxious for this cruise!

I hope to post pictures and comments often!  Regardless, I'll definitely will give an overview of this cruise once I return.  :classic_smile:

Here's our itinerary for this cruise!  My liver is already complaining about the four consecutive sea days. :classic_tongue:

Day & Date

Destination

Duration

Fri, 02/25/22

San Francisco, California

– 4:00pm

Check In Begins At 12:30

Sat, 02/26/22

At Sea

Sun, 02/27/22

At Sea

Mon, 02/28/22

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

8:00am – 5:00pm

Tue, 03/01/22

At Sea

Wed, 03/02/22

At Sea

Thu, 03/03/22

At Sea

Fri, 03/04/22

At Sea

Sat, 03/05/22

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

7:00am – 7:00pm

Sun, 03/06/22

At Sea

Mon, 03/07/22

Fuerte Amador, Panama (for Panama City)

7:00am – 6:00pm

Tue, 03/08/22

Panama Canal Full Transit New Locks

6:00am – 4:30pm

Scenic Cruising

Wed, 03/09/22

Cartagena, Colombia

10:00am – 5:00pm

Thu, 03/10/22

At Sea

Fri, 03/11/22

At Sea

Sat, 03/12/22

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

7:00am  

• Like 7

5 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Congrats on your milestone anniversary! Thanks for “taking us along” and enjoy your cruise! 

Thank you!

Yeah, this is our third attempt at a Panama cruise.. The first one, on Island Princess in May of '21 which I had booked booked in late '19, I cancelled 'cause of you-know-what and I knew it wasn't going to happen.  The second one, on Celebrity Millennium on Oct. of '21, I cancelled because, at the time, I was unsure of vaccines, etc., and if there would be any cruising at all!  (It did go and apparently only 1 reported virus case!)  So I ended up booking this cruise in Oct. of '20! 

BUT, before all of that, we had originally wanted to do this itinerary for our 20th.  However, if you look at my signature, you saw what we did instead.  At that time, it was cheaper to do a cruisetour plus a few added days in Seattle than it was to do the Panama cruise.  Ironically, this cruise is cheaper than that trip in 2016.... 

So it's been a VERY long wait for us and, yes, we're extremely excited for it!

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 2

Ah yes, nothing like a little drama 24 hours before we're supposed to fly out....

I had booked my flights through EZAir.  I'm flying out tomorrow.  I check out my flight on the AA app and my flight is gone.  Long story short AA cancelled it because they showed it wasn't ticketed.  I know for a FACT it did show as ticketed (on their website and the app) as of Sunday when I was checking things out in preparation for the trip. By the way, this was strictly AA, not EZAir.

My rebooked flight is with United now and 1st class (only thing they had left) and we'll be arriving 30 minutes earlier. 

I did get in touch with EZAir/Princess and I'm getting refunded on my cancelled flight.  Also, and this is an FYI to those with flights with AA, they're apparently doing this to others.  Cancelling and/or changing flights at the last minute.  So if you have an AA flight, be aware!

In the end it's all good, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn......  I do NOT need this!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Ah yes, nothing like a little drama 24 hours before we're supposed to fly out....

I had booked my flights through EZAir.  I'm flying out tomorrow.  I check out my flight on the AA app and my flight is gone.  Long story short AA cancelled it because they showed it wasn't ticketed.  I know for a FACT it did show as ticketed (on their website and the app) as of Sunday when I was checking things out in preparation for the trip. By the way, this was strictly AA, not EZAir.

My rebooked flight is with United now and 1st class (only thing they had left) and we'll be arriving 30 minutes earlier. 

I did get in touch with EZAir/Princess and I'm getting refunded on my cancelled flight.  Also, and this is an FYI to those with flights with AA, they're apparently doing this to others.  Cancelling and/or changing flights at the last minute.  So if you have an AA flight, be aware!

In the end it's all good, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn......  I do NOT need this!  

Added to Covid Test very stressful , we are booked with EZAir...Southwest which is unusual Reno to Los Angeles to SFO ...hope no extra drama for us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Hi, K.T.B sorry to hear about your flight woes.  We'll be on this voyage as well and will follow along. (A boarding group, yea!)

My flight from DAL is Wednesday which now has freezing rain/snow in the forecast!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, txjim09 said:

Hi, K.T.B sorry to hear about your flight woes.  We'll be on this voyage as well and will follow along. (A boarding group, yea!)

My flight from DAL is Wednesday which now has freezing rain/snow in the forecast!  

Thankfully my woes have been resolved, albeit in an expensive way.  And tomorrow the temp for the Chicago area is going to be in the mid-20's, but NO precipitation of any kind.  We got that today...  All I know is that in about 31-ish hours my wife and I will be in San Francisco!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Thankfully my woes have been resolved, albeit in an expensive way.  And tomorrow the temp for the Chicago area is going to be in the mid-20's, but NO precipitation of any kind.  We got that today...  All I know is that in about 31-ish hours my wife and I will be in San Francisco!

Deep breaths!  We're gonna cruise!  

Okay.. Princess is trying to give us heart attacks before we even board!

Just got an email with the Subject line :

Booking #XXXXXX: Super important boarding info!

I don't know how many more "emergency" emails I can take from this cruise.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Okay.. Princess is trying to give us heart attacks before we even board!

Just got an email with the Subject line :

Booking #XXXXXX: Super important boarding info!

I don't know how many more "emergency" emails I can take from this cruise.

After the last 2 days I've had, I am SO glad I saw your post before I checked my email!!  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

My heart breaks for you that you are flying first class LOL. Maybe my heart is breaking for your wallet. Enjoy your flight. All the frustration will go away while you are enjoying first class service. Enjoy the cruise. And thank you for starting this. We are hoping to book a Panama cruise for 2023 so it will be helpful to hear all about your adventures.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 7:25 PM, K.T.B. said:

My liver is already complaining about the four consecutive sea days. :classic_tongue:

Day & Date

Destination

Duration

Mon, 02/28/22

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

8:00am – 5:00pm

Tue, 03/01/22

At Sea

Wed, 03/02/22

At Sea

Thu, 03/03/22

At Sea

Fri, 03/04/22

At Sea

Sat, 03/05/22

Puntarenas, Costa Rica

7:00am – 7:00pm

Yeah, it's really too bad that San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua was cancelled for 3/04/22, resulting in four straight days At Sea.

Edited by Robbie555

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Wow...that's a lot of sea days and lack of ports.  Enjoy your cruise.  Is the Ruby repositioning somewhere?

45 minutes ago, Robbie555 said:

Yeah, it's really too bad that San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua was cancelled for 3/04/22, resulting in four straight days At Sea.

And then returning to San Francisco in the exact reverse order.  Then 15 days R/T to Hawaii with nine sea days, 10 if you include Ensenada as a sea day as they are only there for four hours from 5:00pm to 10:00pm.

There are quite a few B2B passengers San Francisco to FLL and back, and some B2B FLL to San Francisco to Hawaii and back to San Francisco.

Lots of relaxing time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coopco said:

My heart breaks for you that you are flying first class LOL. Maybe my heart is breaking for your wallet. Enjoy your flight. All the frustration will go away while you are enjoying first class service. Enjoy the cruise. And thank you for starting this. We are hoping to book a Panama cruise for 2023 so it will be helpful to hear all about your adventures.

Yeah, while 1st class is great and all, it's an extra grand I wish I didn't need to spend....

2 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

On our flight right now

Great!  Not so lucky here, got notification at 8 this morning that our flight was cancelled due to weather.  Southwest at DAL is running a reduced schedule but the best Alaska (our booked carrier)  could do for us out of the DFW area was Saturday.  Quickly looked at options on AA, UA and DL but availability today was very limited and Thursday is predicted to be worse, weatherwise.

Alaska did have an early Thursday departure out of Austin which, given the fact that Wednesday DFW flight options were filling or cancelling, we took.  Could not get a reasonable flight to AUS (strange given the high frequency of this run) so hopped on one of the upscale busses.  No road issues at all and I can strongly recommend Vonlane busses.

Will loose the cost of a night at the Riu in SF but that's what insurance is for.  

See you all on the ship!

• Like 5