"LIVE" Ruby Princess, February 25 - March 12, SF to Fort Lauderdale. Panama Canal!

K.T.B.

Shared this to my personal social media, but thought some might get a kick out of it here, so pardon my copy paste if it translates badly here.  I'll attempt to edit to make it CC friendly.

Yesterday DH and I did something we haven't done in a very long time.

We went full Princess Patter.  Now we haven't done any of this stuff in a long time, but with a ton of sea days ahead of us, I decided I wanted to just fill up our day with all these crazy activities I was sure we'd be the only ones attending.  To my shock, and with a sense of awe, a ton of other people also attended these events. 

Now we didn't get to everything I marked as a possibility, but we made as many as we could.
Started with the Origami craft activity.  Folding paper is apparently hard, as our activity director kept having to stop the demonstration to help all of us out. 
Then I went to the Ladies pamper party and "won" a "free" consultation and a 50.00 gift certificate to the spa.

Then hit Games Under the Stars and placed 2nd in the Tagalong race.
Next was the ring toss game in Explorers Lounge. I was on my way to a respectable 3rd place, but got smoked by an 80 year old who looked like he could drop and give me 50 without breaking a sweat. (Fred, if you're reading this, congratulations)
Next up was darts in the Wheelhouse Bar.  This one made me nervous as they were using actual darts and the dartboard was hung on a wooden wall.  I somehow managed to land all my darts on the board, but DH took 2nd and won a medal.  
Now I could have gone on all afternoon with these crazy activities, but it was formal night, and I had made reservations for 5:50 in Sabatinis. 

I know it's not a favorite of many people, but we purposely asked for a slow leisurely dinner, and spent 3 hours eating and drinking fantastic food and wine.  Will definitely go back once more before end of cruise.

Today we all have to Covid test again.

20220226_223457.jpg

20220226_113403.jpg

20220226_145526.jpg

20220226_190138.jpg

20220226_193347.jpg

20220226_203342.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

Shared this to my personal social media, but thought some might get a kick out of it here, so pardon my copy paste if it translates badly here.  I'll attempt to edit to make it CC friendly.

Yesterday DH and I did something we haven't done in a very long time.

We went full Princess Patter.  Now we haven't done any of this stuff in a long time, but with a ton of sea days ahead of us, I decided I wanted to just fill up our day with all these crazy activities I was sure we'd be the only ones attending.  To my shock, and with a sense of awe, a ton of other people also attended these events. 

Now we didn't get to everything I marked as a possibility, but we made as many as we could.
Started with the Origami craft activity.  Folding paper is apparently hard, as our activity director kept having to stop the demonstration to help all of us out. 
Then I went to the Ladies pamper party and "won" a "free" consultation and a 50.00 gift certificate to the spa.

Then hit Games Under the Stars and placed 2nd in the Tagalong race.
Next was the ring toss game in Explorers Lounge. I was on my way to a respectable 3rd place, but got smoked by an 80 year old who looked like he could drop and give me 50 without breaking a sweat. (Fred, if you're reading this, congratulations)
Next up was darts in the Wheelhouse Bar.  This one made me nervous as they were using actual darts and the dartboard was hung on a wooden wall.  I somehow managed to land all my darts on the board, but DH took 2nd and won a medal.  
Now I could have gone on all afternoon with these crazy activities, but it was formal night, and I had made reservations for 5:50 in Sabatinis. 

I know it's not a favorite of many people, but we purposely asked for a slow leisurely dinner, and spent 3 hours eating and drinking fantastic food and wine.  Will definitely go back once more before end of cruise.

Today we all have to Covid test again.

20220226_223457.jpg

20220226_113403.jpg

20220226_145526.jpg

20220226_190138.jpg

20220226_193347.jpg

20220226_203342.jpg

Sounds like a very fun day! Thank you for sharing your activities and photos. 

• Like 3

Today was a beautiful day at sea, and a great day to be on the pool deck.  The Neptune pool was heated and warm, and multiple people were enjoying it and the hot tubs. 

But something happened that put a damper on the day, and made me seriously question Princess' capability in an emergency.

This afternoon an elderly lady tripped and fell on the stairs from the Neptune pool on the Lido deck leading up to deck 16.  She was bleeding from her head and multiple people went to her aid while I dialed 911 on the yellow emergency phone located on the pool deck.  

The phone was NOT answered by medical, as I was questioned by the switchboard and then told they would connect me to medical. The following is NOT an exaggeration, or an embellishment on the story in case some would think that to be the case.  I literally waited on hold for 4 minutes for medical to pick up the phone after being transferred.  This is the conversation  word for word.

Medical, how can I help you?

Hi, a passenger fell on the stairs at the Neptune pool and is bleeding.  

Do they need to come down to Medical?

No, you need to come and help the passenger.

Ok, where is the passenger?

On the stairs at the Neptune pool.

Where is that?

On deck 15.

Ok, but where? Is it forward, or midship.

It's in the midde by the pizza and ice cream pool.

Ok, but which one?

I don't know, aren't you supposed to know where that is?

I just got here, I don't know where it is.

Then they said they were coming.

At that point I let everyone know medical was coming.  I also spotted the F&B Supervisor surveying the situation  and approached him and relayed to him the unbelievable conversation I'd just had and told him that was completely unacceptable and he needed to relay to leadership what had just occurred.  

Thankfully a paramedic was nearby and had come to the ladies assistance.  He gave medical his assessment, and she was taken away in a wheelchair.

He then had to tell the staff that they needed to clean the blood off of the stairs.  This should should have been attended to as soon as the passenger was removed, and not have to tell the staff to do it.

I am extremely disappointed at how this whole situation was handled and hope the F&B supervisor relays this up the chain of command.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Today was a beautiful day at sea, and a great day to be on the pool deck.  The Neptune pool was heated and warm, and multiple people were enjoying it and the hot tubs. 

But something happened that put a damper on the day, and made me seriously question Princess' capability in an emergency.

This afternoon an elderly lady tripped and fell on the stairs from the Neptune pool on the Lido deck leading up to deck 16.  She was bleeding from her head and multiple people went to her aid while I dialed 911 on the yellow emergency phone located on the pool deck.  

The phone was NOT answered by medical, as I was questioned by the switchboard and then told they would connect me to medical. The following is NOT an exaggeration, or an embellishment on the story in case some would think that to be the case.  I literally waited on hold for 4 minutes for medical to pick up the phone after being transferred.  This is the conversation  word for word.

At that point I let everyone know medical was coming.  I also spotted the F&B Supervisor surveying the situation  and approached him and relayed to him the unbelievable conversation I'd just had and told him that was completely unacceptable and he needed to relay to leadership what had just occurred.  

Thankfully a paramedic was nearby and had come to the ladies assistance.  He gave medical his assessment, and she was taken away in a wheelchair.

He then had to tell the staff that they needed to clean the blood off of the stairs.  This should should have been attended to as soon as the passenger was removed, and not have to tell the staff to do it.

I am extremely disappointed at how this whole situation was handled and hope the F&B supervisor relays this up the chain of command.

You were not imagining how bad things could be.....I had a similar experience and that is when I learned that the medical staff on a cruise ship is not even really equivalent to what you would expect at a good walk-in clinic.   According to maritime law cruise ships are not required to have a doctor onboard but only someone with medical training and this is another way for them to cut cost while charging high prices for treatment.

Consumer Reports did an extensive review of best medical practices on cruise lines and it was not pretty.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/04/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-medical-care-on-cruise-ships/index.htm

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, txjim09 said:

We took a test today, no word of additional.  Depending on who you talk to, either 1700 or 1900.  Guest lecturer said half occupancy.  One of the staff stated future cruises would have a higher load

Thanks! When we were on our recent cruises, I always found Customer Service was a good source to find an accurate passenger count.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Wow...   that medical incident is shocking to hear!

In several of the recent Ruby threads, there seems to be a recurring theme about the slim buffet.  WTH?!  Please let us know if it improves?  Also, could someone please post the hours of the Thermal Suite?  Many thanks!

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, has anyone found out yet how many passengers are on the cruise? Also, have you heard if everyone still has to take another antigen test before the ship will be allowed to pass through the Panama Canal?

DH is doing a series of B2Bs on the Ruby Princess.  Here are the numbers he received from Emerson, the Loyalty and Events Coordinator on board, last week. The first cruise listed is the 2/10 Hawaii cruise; the second is the current cruise. 

45D1FFD8-DF86-4F3D-B96D-7541C1D0DB19.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

DH is doing a series of B2Bs on the Ruby Princess.  Here are the numbers he received from Emerson, the Loyalty and Events Coordinator on board, last week. The first cruise listed is the 2/10 Hawaii cruise; the second is the current cruise. 

45D1FFD8-DF86-4F3D-B96D-7541C1D0DB19.jpeg

Wow, thats a big jump for our Hawaii cruise,  I hope they are upping the food and drink stocks.  LOL

20 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, has anyone found out yet how many passengers are on the cruise? Also, have you heard if everyone still has to take another antigen test before the ship will be allowed to pass through the Panama Canal?

20 hours ago, txjim09 said:

We took a test today, no word of additional.  Depending on who you talk to, either 1700 or 1900.  Guest lecturer said half occupancy.  One of the staff stated future cruises would have a higher load

They announced via the PA that it's just over 1,700.  

And an apology to all, I was hoping to post many more pictures, but I'm having difficulty in doing any type of posting. I'm having the same issue on my phone and my tablet with both CC & FB.  I'll definitely keep trying though!

EDIT: It took me 3 tries to get that posted,  by the way.

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2