"LIVE" Ruby Princess, February 25 - March 12, SF to Fort Lauderdale. Panama Canal!

K.T.B.

@K.T.B. Hope by now you are in SFO!  We were booked on American and not so lucky.  Flight got cancelled today through DFW so we drove 2 hrs to NC to catch a flight out today to find it cancelled as we were checking in and now rescheduled for tomorrow arriving at 8:40 pm!  I am exhausted trying to get there.  Was glad to see the Princess phone # to call for travel delays but in the end the girl at the airport today quickly got us the last 2 seats for tomorrow because of all of the cancellations today.  I think everything on AA on the east coast going through DFW today and tomorrow have been cancelled.  @txjim09 hope you make it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joy_K said:

@K.T.B. Hope by now you are in SFO!  We were booked on American and not so lucky.  Flight got cancelled today through DFW so we drove 2 hrs to NC to catch a flight out today to find it cancelled as we were checking in and now rescheduled for tomorrow arriving at 8:40 pm!  I am exhausted trying to get there.  Was glad to see the Princess phone # to call for travel delays but in the end the girl at the airport today quickly got us the last 2 seats for tomorrow because of all of the cancellations today.  I think everything on AA on the east coast going through DFW today and tomorrow have been cancelled.  @txjim09 hope you make it!

I am so sorry to hear of your travel delays. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. We've always cruised on the West Coast and live in California so we never had travel delays but we are seriously considering moving to Tennessee in the future so evidently we will need to be prepared for travel headaches if we move. Good luck - hoping you see the Golden Gate Bridge in your rear view after you pass under it on the cruise!

Thank you for starting this thread.  Thank you to all who are sharing travel nightmares.  I hope all of you make it to San Francisco and get on the Ruby in time for a relaxing trip through the canal.  It's a good thing this transit has so many sea days.

✈️  🚢  🌎

• Like 1

Thanks for doing this KTB,  We get on the Ruby next time its back in San Francisco so we are excited to watch your journey through the canal.  Its a wonderful experience of an engineering phenomena.  We will be following along closely.  Once again thanks for taking the time from your vacation to share with us. Bon Voyage! 

Drew

Pre-boarding testing was pretty efficient if somewhat backed up.  Many, many cruisers were unaware that this was a requirement for our cruise.  

There is a very large TA hosted group onboard.  800+ passengers.  

Dining reservations fully booked almost every night until 8:30 pm, and 30+ minute wait at 6:30 for Anytime Dining.  Only 2 of the 3 dining rooms are open.

The buffet dinner selection was in one tiny section on one side of the buffet only.  When I inquired if this was the whole selection, the buffet manager thought it would be a good time to tout how they also had pizza and hamburgers on the pool deck as an additional dinner option. 😒

Hoping this is all first day kinks that will smooth out.  In the meantime made reservations for Sabatinis tonight because it's the first formal night, and I have a hunch the dining room situation won't improve just yet.

Sailaway was beautiful weather, and so far the seas have been really smooth.

20220225_162719.jpg

20220225_163822.jpg

20220225_163849.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Pre-boarding testing was pretty efficient if somewhat backed up.  Many, many cruisers were unaware that this was a requirement for our cruise.  

There is a very large TA hosted group onboard.  800+ passengers.  

Dining reservations fully booked almost every night until 8:30 pm, and 30+ minute wait at 6:30 for Anytime Dining.  Only 2 of the 3 dining rooms are open.

The buffet dinner selection was in one tiny section on one side of the buffet only.  When I inquired if this was the whole selection, the buffet manager thought it would be a good time to tout how they also had pizza and hamburgers on the pool deck as an additional dinner option. 😒

Hoping this is all first day kinks that will smooth out.  In the meantime made reservations for Sabatinis tonight because it's the first formal night, and I have a hunch the dining room situation won't improve just yet.

Sailaway was beautiful weather, and so far the seas have been really smooth.

20220225_162719.jpg

20220225_163822.jpg

20220225_163849.jpg

We will be with that TA group on the April 30th cruise to Alaska.  They do a wonderful job, free transportation to and from cruise terminal and free gifts onboard.

• Like 1

Re: Dining room reservations:

Sadly we were two of the unlucky ones denied boarding thanks to a positive Covid-19 test for my wife.  For what it is worth, using one of the U.S. Government supplied tests when we got home, she tested negative when we got home.  Not sure what to think, but for now the good news for some lucky person reading this.

We had a reservation for two, every night at 6:30 in the Botticelli Dining room for both Panama Canal cruises, 2/25 and 3/12.  I am going to delete our reservations right now.  Hopefully some good can come out of our misfortune.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Re: Dining room reservations:

Sadly we were two of the unlucky ones denied boarding thanks to a positive Covid-19 test for my wife.  For what it is worth, using one of the U.S. Government supplied tests when we got home, she tested negative when we got home.  Not sure what to think, but for now the good news for some lucky person reading this.

We had a reservation for two, every night at 6:30 in the Botticelli Dining room for both Panama Canal cruises, 2/25 and 3/12.  I am going to delete our reservations right now.  Hopefully some good can come out of our misfortune.

It’s easy to be a Monday morning quarterback but I would have insisted on a PCR test as a follow up. I twice tested positive in antigen tests given while on the Emerald Princess. Both times, a PCR test yielded a negative result and I was able to continue my vacation unimpeded. I hope your wife continues to feel well, and am very sorry for the loss of your vacation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

It’s easy to be a Monday morning quarterback but I would have insisted on a PCR test as a follow up. I twice tested positive in antigen tests given while on the Emerald Princess. Both times, a PCR test yielded a negative result and I was able to continue my vacation unimpeded. I hope your wife continues to feel well, and am very sorry for the loss of your vacation. 

They would absolutely NOT retest. Believe me, I tried.  I was nice, I was belligerent, to no avail.  How could my wife test positive and me not? We are practically attached at the hip.  Especially the last week.

This will be my last comment, it is history, we're moving on and planning our next cruises. 

ps she shows no symptoms. 

Edited by 2 cruises a year
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

They would absolutely NOT retest. Believe me, I tried.  I was nice, I was belligerent, to no avail.  How could my wife test positive and me not? We are practically attached at the hip.  Especially the last week.

This will be my last comment, it is history, we're moving on and planning our next cruises. 

That’s very discouraging. I anticipate that same thing might happen to me while trying to board the Ruby Princess in four weeks. 

10 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

ps she shows no symptoms. 

So sorry to hear that!!!  Damn....  😢

• Thanks 1