Meravilgia mid cruise grades.

M2ice

11 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

To note, DH is reporting that the food is universally lousy. 

Time for the ship's Executive Chef to be fired.  That is the position that determines the dining experience for the guests.  

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Time for the ship's Executive Chef to be fired.  That is the position that determines the dining experience for the guests.  

Not necessarily.  If his/her hands are tied by corporate with a very low cost of goods per guest meal served then there's not much they can do.  Most of this is controlled by higher ups.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 9:41 AM, M2ice said:

Embarkation C   Only 700 on board so pretty easy

Ship   B+

Ocean Key A-

Cleanliness C+

Food  D at best

Cabin  C

Staff  C+

Overall management  C-

Website (before leaving)  F

Not sure what you are looking for in a cruise if you give these grades for this ship.

Embarkation on any line is the same cluster F, worse now with covid, when I went on a couple months ago with twice as many people as you had we got on very quickly and easily.
Ship, cabin, cleanliness and staff are all A's for us. Never been on a cleaner ship than this one was.

Food I gave a B, its European by design so it is different from what you get on US based like Carnival.
Ocean Cay is a b-/c at best, I know its new but it still needs a lot of work to make it a destination.

Website and pre-cruise customer support are utterly pathetic and aren't even worthy of a grade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paphillyguy said:

For how long?  What are the plans for her when she is there?

My understanding is that it is for 4-6 weeks, most of crew going over with her and they will be cleaning, etc., ship’s interior is in really excellent condition, dry dock will mainly address the ‘underneath’ parts we cannot see. Some of the crew thought they would be sailing Europe for a few months then returning to Caribbean but not sure of the accuracy of that. 

12 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Not necessarily.  If his/her hands are tied by corporate with a very low cost of goods per guest meal served then there's not much they can do.  Most of this is controlled by higher ups.

Maybe yes or no.  No knowledge of what the Executive Chefs for MSC are allowed to do with corporate recipes.  On HAL, these Chefs have the ability to "tinker" with these corporate recipes.  Some of these Chefs are much better "tinkerers" than others.  That is one of the reasons one will read on the HAL Message Board about the inconsistency of the cuisine that cruisers experience.  

There was not a single dish that I ate on Meravigilia that I did not enjoy.  The most different pasta dish was a Ravioli served with a Pesto Sauce.  "Green Ravioli".....Hummmm, I thought when it was served.  It was delicious.  

• Like 1

Never had issues with MSC website. It really isn't necessary to use it a lot to book anyway. Confused by all the complaints about it. Customer service has always been great for me also. So, I read this stuff with much confusion. I guess we all reserve cruises differently. I never use a website for a fill booking process. Other time on the site is for little stuff so it doesnt really take much time. Interesting. 

On 3/1/2022 at 7:50 PM, rkacruiser said:

Everyone has their opinion. No need to fire when there is such a range of opinions about the food. 

On 2/23/2022 at 9:23 PM, GA Dave said:

Opinions are like a large sphincter in the general vicinity of the gluteus maximus.  Everybody has one.  My opinion is that Meraviglia is a ship that I love so much that I have already cruised on her twice and have two more already scheduled.

I'll agree with Dave. Been on her twice since October 2021 and sailing again on her in 2 weeks and again in October 2022. I'm slipping in a Seashore sailing in June to check out the larger Yacht Club to see if I like the bigger version.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 8:35 AM, Morgsmom said:

To note, DH is reporting that the food is universally lousy.  It was Caribbean menu last night and nothing looked good so he ordered the always available Fr Onion Soup (C-), Caesar Salad (D), Chicken (C-) and Fries (cold, F).  Said it was all nasty. To note we ARE foodies; we love love love food. 

However Bar Staff are A+ and after one day knew his name and welcomed him back.

As far as your husbands report of food being universally lousy it reminded me of a couple leaving the buffet on the "Mera" 2 yrars ago on a 13 day cruise ...he said theres nothing but hamburgers & cold pizza"...well I'm not a buffet person but on the 13 day cruise I had most meals in the buffet - the variety was quite extensive with basics like hot dogs etc, pizza & salads to cutting boards w every type of meat, sushi, every type of ethnic food  you could think of that was constantly rotated - I even had Guac & chips at cocktail hour on the aft deck.  if I ever needed anything I simply asked for it & got it very quickly.

It was a carib cruise I was travelling solo  so I didnt want to dress up for the dining room so the buffet gave me the opportunity to be casual....loved it.

Surely people should cruise on Seaboourn or Silversea if they expect 5 star food experinece,  MSC has a good product all around at very reasonable price points.

As far as foodies -I have friends that call themselves that - one friend loves truffle oil on EVERYTHING - I find it gross & every restaurant she picks I find overrated.  I love good quality food, travelled a great deal & know the difference between fads & 

I'm in Florida / Ft Lauderdale for a few months & except for a couple of very good restaurants here - the only good thing I can say about restaurants / food here is that

there is ALOT of them.  I've lost weight here simply because the food is so unappetizing.

One point I totally agree with is the bar staff is exceptional - as is 99% of the staff & officers onboard(I've been sailing w MSC for the last 10 years or so & on cruise ships since the early 1970's).

It will be interesting to see what your second cruise on MERA will be like in March.

9 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

As far as your husbands report of food being universally lousy it reminded me of a couple leaving the buffet on the "Mera" 2 yrars ago on a 13 day cruise ...he said theres nothing but hamburgers & cold pizza"...well I'm not a buffet person but on the 13 day cruise I had most meals in the buffet - the variety was quite extensive .

It will be interesting to see what your second cruise on MERA will be like in March.

Just to note, there was less than 1/4 of the buffet set up due to the small # of PAX.  The offerings were extremely limited according to him and the variety was not extensive.  Keep in mind that Pre-Covid there were massive salad bars and other such offerings; now you are restricted to Caesar salad or a few arrangements.  Thus, he felt both the variety and quality lacking.

Times they are a' changin'.....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

.It was a carib cruise I was travelling solo  so I didnt want to dress up for the dining room so the buffet gave me the opportunity to be casual....loved it.

Since when did you have to dress up to eat in the MDR? You can be causal on the entire ship. 

Enjoy! 

20 hours ago, blueslily said:

Everyone has their opinion. No need to fire when there is such a range of opinions about the food. 

Agree that the opinions of cuisine varies widely.  In my experience, it is the Executive Chef on a ship that has control of what his/her other Chefs/cooks do in his/her Galley.  

6 hours ago, Oxo said:
9 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

.It was a carib cruise I was travelling solo  so I didnt want to dress up for the dining room so the buffet gave me the opportunity to be casual....loved it.

Since when did you have to dress up to eat in the MDR? You can be causal on the entire ship. 

Enjoy! 

Don't know what happened to my reply. However, you don't need to dress up anymore on most Cruise Lines. They have gone to Dress your Best, Chick Night, or whatever.

You can go into any venue dressed casual. See it all the time even on the NEW NAME Formal nights. LOL

Enjoy your meal in the MDR dressed Casual.

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Agree that the opinions of cuisine varies widely.  In my experience, it is the Executive Chef on a ship that has control of what his/her other Chefs/cooks do in his/her Galley.  

Ok.  with the range of opinions about food, the suggestion to fire the EC seems inconsistent with data. That was my only point. Have a good day. 

Badly under cooked pork.  Hard green tomatoes in the Greek salad and items left off the plate that are listed as included on the menu are not items of taste or preference.   They are quality control and who ever is in charge needs to be replaced.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Oxo said:

Don't know what happened to my reply. However, you don't need to dress up anymore on most Cruise Lines. They have gone to Dress your Best, Chick Night, or whatever.

You can go into any venue dressed casual. See it all the time even on the NEW NAME Formal nights. LOL

Enjoy your meal in the MDR dressed Casual.

Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

What I meant is that I would never go into any  dining room in shorts.... in the buffet I could eat anytime in shorts & a polo shirt......even in the evening.  I no longer bring a tuxedo & dinner jackets - only a black suit...but to see men dressed in shorts & t shirts & baseballcaps is just rididculous... at any restaurant.  

I still preferred being in the lido while in the carib in winter when its cold/rainy /snowy in NYC!!!

22 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Just to note, there was less than 1/4 of the buffet set up due to the small # of PAX.  The offerings were extremely limited according to him and the variety was not extensive.  Keep in mind that Pre-Covid there were massive salad bars and other such offerings; now you are restricted to Caesar salad or a few arrangements.  Thus, he felt both the variety and quality lacking.

Times they are a' changin'.....

Again interpretation here....the buffet was /is huge on this ship & runs both sides of the ship - even if they shut down half of it there would still be plenty of good options. With prices & passenger loads being so low its understandable for the cuts.  

You cant even get a bad hotel in Florida w all meals for what MSC is charging now.

Any pics????

16 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Again interpretation here....the buffet was /is huge on this ship & runs both sides of the ship - even if they shut down half of it there would still be plenty of good options. With prices & passenger loads being so low its understandable for the cuts.  

Any pics????

NO pics, but please note that while "huge" in the past; it was not on this sailing. 

26 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

NO pics, but please note that while "huge" in the past; it was not on this sailing. 

Morgansmom.

There are three planters in the atrium that have palms planted in them.   The points on the leaves are very sharp and hang over the planter into the walking area.   My wife got poked in the face,  it this case it was minor but they are a hazard.   Pointed it out to two employees and was wondering if your HD knows if they are still there.

1 hour ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

What I meant is that I would never go into any  dining room in shorts.... in the buffet I could eat anytime in shorts & a polo shirt......even in the evening.  I no longer bring a tuxedo & dinner jackets - only a black suit...but to see men dressed in shorts & t shirts & baseballcaps is just rididculous... at any restaurant.  

I still preferred being in the lido while in the carib in winter when its cold/rainy /snowy in NYC!!!

K, people do wear shorts in the MDR.

Dress code is out to sea! 

On 3/2/2022 at 1:44 PM, cellfree said:

My understanding is that it is for 4-6 weeks, most of crew going over with her and they will be cleaning, etc., ship’s interior is in really excellent condition, dry dock will mainly address the ‘underneath’ parts we cannot see. Some of the crew thought they would be sailing Europe for a few months then returning to Caribbean but not sure of the accuracy of that. 

I saw that they end the Caribbean in early April and then resume in the Med around mid May until returning to the Caribbean in mid October