NCL pulling visits to St Petersburg

dmsw00

2 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Ulsteinvik, you need to actually look at the NCL web site. It has been updated. They are selling Baltic cruises with 2 sea days in place of SPB.

they are working at other ports, give them more time.

Getaway will go to visby for example at one of these see days.

Just now, susiesan said:

Ulsteinvik, you need to actually look at the NCL web site. It has been updated. They are selling Baltic cruises with 2 sea days in place of SPB.

It seems you don't know what I am saying. They removed SPB since yesterday from the homepage. But they will put in new ports soon. You can't expect that the replacement ports are already on the homepage today.

• Like 4

On 2/24/2022 at 11:32 PM, Lindysu said:

I am Australian and I am really annoyed and peeved at this move by NCL. The only reason I booked on the cruise was St Petersburg. I am not due to cruise until August. Surely NCL can wait and see what pans out in the interim before cancelling. As another poster pointed out, the Ukraine is nowhere St Petersburg. By the way, the whole world is not American. Plenty of other nationalities cruise too! I don't think I'll be booking with NCL again. I vote with my feet!

If NCL is going to St Peterburg we don't go off. The people accept him as a leader. No money off my will go there anymore. Tallin is much nicer then St Petersburg

• Like 3

On 2/24/2022 at 5:32 PM, Lindysu said:

I am Australian and I am really annoyed and peeved at this move by NCL. The only reason I booked on the cruise was St Petersburg. I am not due to cruise until August. Surely NCL can wait and see what pans out in the interim before cancelling. As another poster pointed out, the Ukraine is nowhere St Petersburg. By the way, the whole world is not American. Plenty of other nationalities cruise too! I don't think I'll be booking with NCL again. I vote with my feet!

Just wondering how being American relates to NCL canceling St Petersburg?  You better start using those feet because many other lines have announced the same.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, susiesan said:

NCL had no choice but to cancel SPB, all the lines are and they are all scrambling to find other ports, there are only so many slots.I've done this cruise and it was so port intensive I would have been fine with the sea days. You sound so angry at the cruise line through no fault of theirs that if you are not in final I'd cancel as you're going to let this ruin the cruise for you.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, susiesan said:

What NCL has done on all of their 2022 Baltic cruises is just drop St. Petersburg and have those 2 days be sea days. I looked at the revised itinerary for my Aug. 16 Dawn cruise. Original itinerary was:

Stockholm-Helsinki-SPB-SPB-Talinn-Klaipedia-Gdansk-Warnemunde-Copenhagen-sea-Amsterdam

new itinerary is:

Stockholm-Helsinki-sea-sea-Talinn-Klaipedia-Gdansk-Warnemunde-Copenhagen-sea-Amsterdam

NCL is not subbing ports, they are just adding sea days. They are not even lowering the price to compensate. This is unacceptable. It appears NCL didn't even try to rearrange the schedules to add ports they just put in sea days and kept the cost the same.

Read your contract, all the T&C's are there.  Lot more to worry about in the world right now than susiesan not getting the exact cruise she wants

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 3

No, no new ports added. SPB days now sea days. The new itineraries are on the NCL web site today. And the price is still the same as if going to St. Petersburg or 2 other ports. I am very disappointed in NCL for taking the easy way out.

Take a lovely land trip to SPB

They could put a note on saying the sea days are temporary until substitute ports are arranged. Because they are selling these revised cruises now tells me this is the way they will be run. But keeping the price the same for those of us already booked is wrong. I have not made final payment yet, mine is due April 15, and I will need some major enticements from NCL, a discount, an upgrade, to keep me from cancelling this cruise.

LOL, good luck with your "major enticements" please report back and let us know.  

• Like 2

I think we need to rethink all European cruises for now .Putin has threatened Sweden and Finland if they dare to join NATO ....i.m not sure what his intent is but hes dangerously close to creating a situation in Europe which could ultimately escalate to all Nato allies resulting in WW 3 ..which would be catastrophic for all

Russians must put a stop to his craziness ...if he lost his army where would he be 

is anyone in Russia strong enough to stop him 

to me all this reminds me of 1918 ...Spanish flu and WW1 

we have Covid .....and going towards  WW3 .....dreadful thought ..i pray not I think  cruising will suffer greatly with all this uncertainty 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Con5421 said:

If NCL is going to St Peterburg we don't go off. The people accept him as a leader. No money off my will go there anymore. Tallin is much nicer then St Petersburg

Yeah - the problems of First World people look ridiculous considering a democratic country in Europe is being invaded and about to be annexed or government overthrown.

I was already hesitant to go on a cruise to St Petersburg because of the Russian actions against LGBTQ+ people in their country.  There is no way any of my money will ever go to support their economy after conquering one of their neighbors.  

• Like 6

On 2/24/2022 at 7:44 PM, Turtles06 said:

And BTW, the name of the invaded country is not “the Ukraine.”

To say "The Ukraine" gives energy to Putin as it used to refer to Ukraine as a region, therefore "the Ukraine."  Try to get over the habit of putting "the" in front of Ukraine. It is a sovereign country, not a territory belonging to Russia. It is still hard for me as that is what some people mistakenly used to say, and still do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

To say "The Ukraine" gives energy to Putin as it used to refer to Ukraine as a region, therefore "the Ukraine."  Try to get over the habit of putting "the" in front of Ukraine. It is a sovereign country, not a territory belonging to Russia. It is still hard for me as that is what some people mistakenly used to say, and still do.

Don't want to be disrespectful but we still say The Netherlands.

I agree about the inconsistencies, but a study of it provides some reasons. You can research it. Linguistically, it is very interesting. Still, we now say "Ukraine."  Like I said, I was raised with "The Ukraine" so it is a tough habit to break, but I always stop and apologize, fix it, explain why, and move on.

• We don’t say “the Iceland” or “the Greenland”, so why do we say “the Netherlands”?
  • It is no longer acceptable to refer to “the Ukraine” and “the Ivory Coast”, yet it’s correct to refer to “the Netherlands” and “the United States”.
  • Why is it officially “The Gambia” and “The Bahamas”, but not “The Netherlands” or “The United Kingdom”?

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

It should remind you of 1936-1939.

Hitler invading the Rhine Land, Austria, Sudetenland, Czechoslovakia.

Read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. 

I decided what is going during the first few days of the war is like the "Phony War of 1939." England and France made an agreement with Poland that they would come to their aid if German invaded. On Sept 1, 1939, German rolled into Poland and England and France declared war on Germany. 

But then, they did NOTHING except drop flyers over Germany so their people knew how evil Hitler was. The Phony War went on for about nine months. Google it to learn more.

Sort of like what Europe is doing right now, with the notable exception of Poland and some former eastern block countries who has a well deserved reputation of being brave.  They are mobilizing to help the refugees and working side by side with the American forces. 

So, this has started out to be the PHONY WAR of 2022. Fortunately, there are signs that Germany and some other European countries, who are SO compromised by Russian oil and gas issues, have started to help. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

I decided what is going during the first few days of the war is like the "Phony War of 1939." England and France made an agreement with Poland that they would come to their aid if German invaded. On Sept 1, 1939, German rolled into Poland and England and France declared war on Germany. 

But then, they did NOTHING except drop flyers over Germany so their people knew how evil Hitler was. The Phony War went on for about nine months. Google it to learn more.

Sort of like what Europe is doing right now, with the notable exception of Poland and some former eastern block countries who has a well deserved reputation of being brave.  They are mobilizing to help the refugees and working side by side with the American forces. 

So, this has started out to be the PHONY WAR of 2022. Fortunately, there are signs that Germany and some other European countries, who are SO compromised by Russian oil and gas issues, have started to help. 

The phony war of 1939 was commonly referred to as the "Seitzkreig".  

I am 100% in support of NCL's decision.  It is aligned with US, European, and worldwide efforts to penalize Russia for its actions.  Even if one man is primarily to blame, many others have aided or at minimum failed to oppose the needless invasion of Ukraine.

I would not want one American cent of my money going to Russia at this point.

Happily, I did visit STP many years ago on an NCL Baltic capitals cruise.

• Like 7

I think with the sanctions over Russia that the U.S. and the US have decided on and will decide on no cruise line will be able to dock at any russian ports. Most businesses with russia will be prohibited(apart from some basic and really important ones) and so the cruise lines won`t have any other choice than cancelling Russian ports.

So the decision from NCLH was very wise cause by deciding it so quickly they will be able to secure berth space at the alternative ports in the baltic. Cause without St. Petersburg most other ports in the baltic will become very crowded.

Edited by CruiseMH
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

So the decision from NCLH was very wise cause by deciding it so quickly they will be able to secure berth space at the alternative ports in the baltic. Cause without St. Petersburg most other ports in the baltic will become very crowded.

Let's hope that NCLH beat the rush to find space at alternative ports. All Carnival brands have now announced they are not going to SPB this year.

2 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Let's hope that NCLH beat the rush to find space at alternative ports. All Carnival brands have now announced they are not going to SPB this year.

I see a couple of nice and relaxing sea days in your future.