Shorts in MDR

hoss23

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

It’s interesting how unpredictable it can be. We were on the Emerald for a 10 day Panama Canal cruise in January and I saw a number of men wear shorts into the MDR and very few tuxedos on formal nights. This 14 day Caribbean is the opposite. I haven’t seen shorts in the dining room but there were quite a few tuxedos and long dresses on formal night.

Could be more people figured worth it to take the dress-up clothes for a longer voyage (unless you are really on B2B 7-nighters).  But there is the Circle Caribbean for 14 nights straight if that is running right now.

13 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

“Pants” mean something completely different in the U.K. so all this talk of wearing them in the main dining room has created a mental image that I really don’t need in my head.

As an aside, we left England in 1967, before it was referred to as 'UK' 🙂 Pants was always an alternative to Trousers. Men wore Long Pants Boys wore Short Pants. I have been trying to get my head around the current slang use of 'Pants'

10 hours ago, caribill said:

In the 1990s, Princess that three types of dress for dinner.

Five evenings on a 7-day cruise were smart casual.

One evening was semi-formal which meant suits or sport coats (and tie) for men.

And one evening was formal which meant formal wear was expected, but dark colored suits for men was acceptable.

As Benjamin Franklin once famously said, "Eat to please thyself, but dress to please others".

The world has changed since he said that. And has also changed since the 1990s.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Could be more people figured worth it to take the dress-up clothes for a longer voyage (unless you are really on B2B 7-nighters).  But there is the Circle Caribbean for 14 nights straight if that is running right now.

Yes, it’s the 14 night. I’ve always noticed Caribbean cruises tend to be less formal than Europe, for example but you could be right about longer cruises being more conducive to packing formal wear.

Longer cruises do get a different demographic though, especially during the school year. I’d be much less likely to pack formal clothing if I were traveling with kids. 

One thing about Cruisecritic - it's a lot like day time soap operas.  You can quit watching for years but when you tune back in you haven't missed a thing.  I haven't spent much time on CC the last few years (until we booked a cruise for this fall) but the arguments on threads like this, pro and con, remain the same 🙂  Some of the names are even the same 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

As an aside, we left England in 1967, before it was referred to as 'UK' 🙂 Pants was always an alternative to Trousers. Men wore Long Pants Boys wore Short Pants. I have been trying to get my head around the current slang use of 'Pants'

England is still England. The U.K. is the collective term for the home nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Here  in Scotland “pants” are undergarments, hence the mental image. Trousers are the term for outerwear, long or short.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2022 at 9:25 AM, Tedferg said:

England is a constituent part of the UK and the whole has been referred to as the UK for a few hundred years.

In England I never heard the word pants used for anything other than underpants. One of my first jobs in England in the 1960s was in a mens clothing store in outer London. Trousers it was. Pants is what one wore under ones trousers unless one decided to go commando so to speak. I had friends from all over the UK and lived in different parts of England and pants always referred to the under garment.

Shorts were what boys 12 and under wore to school.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:20 PM, VAWCB said:

I was on Emerald last week and sat in Club Class dining area of DaVinci’s.  On at least two nights two couples came in with both guys wearing shorts AND baseball caps.  As I was leaving I asked the head waiter (Giovanni) why the dress code wasn’t being enforced.  He said that after Covid Princess is just glad to have passengers back and weren’t going to do anything to annoy them.  I thought that was a lousy answer.

I totally agree with you. It’s all about the money not annoy everyone.

Tony

1 hour ago, Lucky TGO said:

I totally agree with you. It’s all about the money not annoy everyone.

Tony

And the heavy reliance on tips can’t incentivise the crew to enforce any rules.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, Eglesbrech said:

England is still England. The U.K. is the collective term for the home nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Understand, just that English friends and family now use the term 'UK' 

I am still confused by the term Pants; I understand it is derogatory but not clear why.

Edited by Tedferg

On 3/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Here  in Scotland “pants” are undergarments, hence the mental image. Trousers are the term for outerwear, long or short.

I have long known that "pants" referred to undergarments in other places. Of course you also have "bum bags" whereas in the US they usually use a different term. 😁

On 3/3/2022 at 4:39 PM, Eglesbrech said:

In that case, "liar, liar pants on fire" takes on a whole new meaning.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have long known that "pants" referred to undergarments in other places. Of course you also have "bum bags" whereas in the US they usually use a different term. 😁

Yes I know the one you mean and that word is never used in polite company here. First time I heard someone use it I nearly choked on my drink.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

And the heavy reliance on tips can’t incentivise the crew to enforce any rules.

Why would any crew member, including a supervisor,  want to jeopardize their rating by annoying an passenger is a mystery. It's easier to turn a blind eye to anything & keep a good rating. 

I'll simply add my actual experience on Grand sailing of February 3rd 2022.

It was a 10 day sailing to Mexico.  I saw a few (5 - 20) men in shorts every evening in the MDR.  One person in CC wore shorts every night (well, at least all 8 of the nights we ate in the MDR, can say for sure the other two nights).  I've seen shorts in the MDR all of our most recent 8 or so Princess sailings, can't honestly say I've ever seen or heard of any enforcement by staff.

2 minutes ago, jondfk said:

I'll simply add my actual experience on Grand sailing of February 3rd 2022.

It was a 10 day sailing to Mexico.  I saw a few (5 - 20) men in shorts every evening in the MDR.  One person in CC wore shorts every night (well, at least all 8 of the nights we ate in the MDR, can say for sure the other two nights).  I've seen shorts in the MDR all of our most recent 8 or so Princess sailings, can't honestly say I've ever seen or heard of any enforcement by staff.

Unless you see a person walking to their table wearing shorts it's impossible to detect once seated. Why it's so troublesome to some people is a mystery, other than that they're breaking the "rule". 

The same people have no problem with shorts at breakfast or lunch.

Life is to short to get excited over such things. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Why would any crew member, including a supervisor,  want to jeopardize their rating by annoying an passenger is a mystery. It's easier to turn a blind eye to anything & keep a good rating. 

Not sure what you mean by “rating” (new to Princess) but wouldn’t this theory also apply to the passenger annoyed by shorts/hats/etc?  Either way, it seems someone is going to be annoyed.