Shorts in MDR

hoss23

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

Then why not travel with them instead of Princess?

I do !

But I like Princess as a cruise line. I just think that shorts in the MDR are a no no. 

How difficult is it wear trousers for two hours when eating in the MDR, and show a resemblance of common courtesy ?  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I do !

But I like Princess as a cruise line. I just think that shorts in the MDR are a no no. 

How difficult is it wear trousers for two hours when eating in the MDR, and show a resemblance of common courtesy ?  

Common courtesy?

In the United States you mean?

That went the way of the Dodo bird a long time ago!

Sad state of affairs!

• Like 1

People, just compare cruising to flying.

Remember when everyone used to get all dressed up when getting on a flight?

Those days are long gone.

Same applies to cruising in general, coz there still are some exceptions where

dress code is still observed.

1 hour ago, Britter16 said:

If I go to a restaurant with linen tablecloths I dress differently than when I go to a patio. 

On an Alaska cruise there is a lot more causally dressed people maybe because they pack heavier, warmer clothing that weighs more and could cause luggage charges. It’s a good excuse but I’ve still seen tuxs on formal night there.

My cousins would never wear baseball hats at the kitchen table let alone a dining room, so crass.

Last Alaska cruise I went on people were more formally dressed than what is being described here.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

There is nothing fancy about a sports coat.

I guess that depends on ones perspective.  DH is an auto mechanic (retired) by trade, and rides one of his several Harley Davidson motorcycles for enjoyment.  For him, (just a little tongue in cheek) dressing up is wearing a new Harley t-shirt. 🙂  I am able to get him in a long sleeved dress shirt and trousers for formal night, and a collared shirt other nights, but I know he just does it for me.  So yes, for him, a sports coat would be fancy.  And uncomfortable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

IMHO the classic Navy Blazer with crisp grey slacks, white dress shirt and a tie is still pretty fancy. It isn't a tux but I've attended many weddings in that garb, in fact my sister decided to get married at age 62 and I walked down the aisle with and gave her away dressed in my favorite Navy blazer.

Excellent  very classy - is there a Regimental Badge on the breast pocket?

While I would not wear any shorts in the MDR during dinner, I do not care that much if others do.  Older cruisers will likely still give a stink eye, but unless the wait staff says anything, go ahead.  

Just never plan on cruising some of the luxury brands or really "old style" cruising like Cunard.  Wearing shorts on formal nights can get you kicked off the ship.

4 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

It is very confusing for someone new to Princess.  Some threads people say you signed on the dotted line when you bought the cruise and agreed to all of Princess' policies and then the same people say to ignore other Princess policies in other threads.  Just a wee bit helter skelter if you ask me?   Sounds like the buffets may be way less stress to deal with in regards to dining.

Please do not be confused. Everything Princess puts out on the subject are RECOMMENDATIONS and recommendations ONLY. 

Dress RECOMMENDATIONS do not equal a dress CODE in any way shape or form. 

Be comfortable. You are on vacation. 

While there are some dinosaurs around here who will wail endlessly about the need for coats, ties and heaven knows what else,  they are simply repeating the Princess recommendations. If you choose to go that route, do so happily. If you’d rather be comfortable, then by all means, do that. 

Once you board the ship and take a seat in the MDR, you will see the vast majority of your fellow passengers dressing comfortably. At that time you and only you can determine what’s right for you.

Have a wonderful cruise.  

32 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Please do not be confused. Everything Princess puts out on the subject are RECOMMENDATIONS and recommendations ONLY. 

Dress RECOMMENDATIONS do not equal a dress CODE in any way shape or form. 

Be comfortable. You are on vacation. 

While there are some dinosaurs around here who will wail endlessly about the need for coats, ties and heaven knows what else,  they are simply repeating the Princess recommendations. If you choose to go that route, do so happily. If you’d rather be comfortable, then by all means, do that. 

Once you board the ship and take a seat in the MDR, you will see the vast majority of your fellow passengers dressing comfortably. At that time you and only you can determine what’s right for you.

Have a wonderful cruise.  

This is a quote from the Princess dress code site directly from the Princess WEB site -

"Smart casual:  "Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or trousers with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, trousers and shirt or poloshirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in the restaurant."

Does that sound like a "recommendation" to you.  My point which I have stated previously is that the Princess clearly and unequivocally states on their WEB site that shorts are unacceptable and yet they ignore their own requirement while on board.  By the way, if I can ignore the no shorts requirement, why can't I wear swimwear in the MDR.   How about going barefoot.  They don't even address that  and I will bet that if I come in barefoot, they will ask me to put on shoes.

Perhaps they should change the verbiage on their WEB site or else perhaps we can feel free to ignore any of the other suggestions, recommendations or requirements on the WEB site.  

I may be sounding picky but I believe that if you have a written rule you should either enforce it 100% or not have the rule at all.  I will also add that even if I wanted to wear shorts in the MDR which I don't, my wife would not let me.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Well, its supposed to be a fine dining establishment. There's always the buffet, that on most nights, serves the same food. There's always Carnival and NCL too that have much more relaxed dress codes.

When I go to the MDR I don't think its asking too much for people to at least give it an effort to treat it like its a nice sit down restaurant. 

They have to draw the line somewhere. 

And who decides where to draw that line. Princess has decided already. So if their decision is not to your liking then there is always Cunard and a few other lines that might meet your standards.  By the way the buffet does not serve the same food as the MDR especially on dress up nights. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

Imho

because the cruise line advertises smart casual and some formal nights, discloses smart casual and some formal nights prior to the booking and the passenger books with full knowledge and implied agreement.  This makes it unacceptable.   In other words…you agreed prior to sailing. 

And if what I agreed to is not enforced or is not the reality on the ship who is in violation of the implied agreement?An agreement, to be viable, must be held in compliance by both parties or it is invalid.  This makes it acceptable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I do !

Very difficult for some.

• Like 1

Currently on the Enchanted I haven't noticed any signs indicating the dress code like they used to post in past years. 

Maybe their just leaving it up to the people to make there own decisions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Currently on the Enchanted I haven't noticed any signs indicating the dress code like they used to post in past years. 

Maybe their just leaving it up to the people to make there own decisions?

On Caribbean Princess in December, there was signage and it was enforced as I witnessed gentlemen in shorts being refused entry to the MDR.

We’re on the second b2b on the Enchanted, and we’ve seen too many passengers wearing shorts in the Capri dining room. We’ve seen dressier shorts, casual shorts, and totally sloppy shorts in club class. As far as we can tell there isn’t a maitre D’ in the dining room &  if there is one, he’s good at hiding. 

12 hours ago, julie3fan said:

I guess that depends on ones perspective.  DH is an auto mechanic (retired) by trade, and rides one of his several Harley Davidson motorcycles for enjoyment.  For him, (just a little tongue in cheek) dressing up is wearing a new Harley t-shirt. 🙂  I am able to get him in a long sleeved dress shirt and trousers for formal night, and a collared shirt other nights, but I know he just does it for me.  So yes, for him, a sports coat would be fancy.  And uncomfortable.

I struggle to understand why wearing a coat would be uncomfortable unless it was the wrong size! So many shirts, trousers and jackets are made using stretch material these days too.

With items such as sun glasses, mobile phones, key cards/medallions a jacket holding such items would be far more comfortable to wear compared with bulging trouser or shirt pockets!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bgwest said:

You are good at this, Don. 
Yes, it does. Precisely like a recommendation. Because it is. 

Post #219 will provide you with a perfect summary. 
Good job @Potstech!

Dinosaurs will be dinosaurs. 🦖

Please provide information from the Princess website that states it is a recommendation.

3 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Please provide information from the Princess website that states it is a recommendation.

Please read the applicable portions of the Princess website. It is there you will find your answer. And for emphasis please reread post #219. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

I struggle to understand why wearing a coat would be uncomfortable unless it was the wrong size! So many shirts, trousers and jackets are made using stretch material these days too.

With items such as sun glasses, mobile phones, key cards/medallions a jacket holding such items would be far more comfortable to wear compared with bulging trouser or shirt pockets!

Because you struggle to understand does not mean others do not. Beside carrying multi items there is really only one reason to wear a coat and that is to stay warm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

On Caribbean Princess in December, there was signage and it was enforced as I witnessed gentlemen in shorts being refused entry to the MDR.

There enforcement of the dress rules doesn bother me either way as long as it's a relaxed one.

We prefer the newer ships which they usually put in the Caribbean.

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Please read the applicable portions of the Princess website. It is there you will find your answer. And for emphasis please reread post #219. 

I think it's up to the Captain or matire D' to figure out if they want to really enforce their rules.  I've seen folks blocked from access the MDR for not appropriate attire and I've seen kids in messy t-shirts and shorts get in.  It's up to the ship.  Just don't get to out of sorts if they do decide they don't want you wearing shorts in the MDR.  With them trying to get back to normal, I'm sure they are willing to bend a few rules here and there for now.

Edited by scooter6139