The 3% Club

Your pictures of your first night are wonderful.  I support people dressing up. Please consider giving your group a new name that doesn’t have political connections; 3%ers has a negative connotation.

• Like 1

Just now, 0106 said:

Your pictures of your first night are wonderful.  I support people dressing up. Please consider giving your group a new name that doesn’t have political connections; 3%ers has a negative connotation.

Uh Oh....Canada just joined the 3 percent club.....I think I am in good company now

image.thumb.png.be0d2f57205c4b3f43aca2808eb8c095.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agree to disagree about the importance of names.

Wonderful service last week.  Hope it is excellent for you too.  If you have a female server at the Seaview pool named Jrom ( sorry for the spelling) please tell her Tina & Jonathansaid hi.

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My first tux was a quality, name name brand suit that fit well.  The formal wear shop had to order it.  The size of the jacket needed to be different than the pants.  Tux #2 was a JC Penney tux that I decided I ought to have as a spare before my world cruise in case Tux #1 got messed up for whatever reason.  Much less expensive; material quality was OK as was the fit.  But, not as good as Tux #1.  Tux #3, being made of fine quality material and tailored to my dimensions:  very comfortable.  One regret in ordering it, though.  The liner of the jacket:  I could have made a better choice.  I was too conservative in the pattern that I chose.  

Being a second sitting diner, I might be that person in the deck chair not far from you.  

I enjoyed reading about the history of your formal gear.  Since the conversation turned towards, "What's old is new again," I'll mention that The Best tuxedo DH had was from his grandfather circa 1950.  It fit like a glove, and when DH wore it, it was very au courant.  That suit was beautifully made -- nothing like it now.

After the moths finally found that one, it was a downward spiral.  We are currently at a nice black suit with a white shirt.  

• Like 2

In order to avoid confusion with the Environmental Group - The Three Percent Club - I am changing the name of our meeting to The Inside Cabin's "Tuxedo Junction"  - So for those in the know - the code phrase will be - "Meet me at the Junction"   Or "Are you going to the Junction"   The exact location and time of the "Junction" will be a closely guarded secret and shared with only those who in the the Club...

Plus we now have our own theme song,   So the next meeting of "The Inside Cabin's Tuxedo Junction" will be held on the Zuiderdam at 4:30 in the Ocean Bar, March 14th

Shhhhhhh-don't tell anyone - it's a secret!

Hope to see other Tuxedo Junctions appear throughout the fleet!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nothing as comfortable as wearing a 100% wool tux on a Caribbean cruise in August when it is 90+ degrees.😁 My one tux went to Goodwill once the cruise industry did away with mandatory formal dress night. My suits and sport coats followed after I retired in 2020, whether it is called Gala night or evening Chic (Celebrity) I will be in nice slacks and a button up shirt, no matter the cruise destination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Nothing as comfortable as wearing a 100% wool tux on a Caribbean cruise in August when it is 90+ degrees.😁 My one tux went to Goodwill once the cruise industry did away with mandatory formal dress night. My suits and sport coats followed after I retired in 2020, whether it is called Gala night or evening Chic (Celebrity) I will be in nice slacks and a button up shirt, no matter the cruise destination.

Hi, Terrydx,

Thank you. I retired in 2011 and relegated my Tux, white Dinner Jacket, Suits, Sport Jackets to Goodwill. I did keep one suit for weddings (not many of them any longer) and funerals (way too many of those).  Stay well.

Jim

1 hour ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Terrydx,

Thank you. I retired in 2011 and relegated my Tux, white Dinner Jacket, Suits, Sport Jackets to Goodwill. I did keep one suit for weddings (not many of them any longer) and funerals (way too many of those).  Stay well.

Jim

The last funeral I attended no one wore suits or coats, it was last year and held outside with 107 degree temps.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jeh10641 said:

Hi, Terrydx,

Jim

I essentially did the same 10 years ago after retiring. I kept one suit.  The rest...suits, jackets, dress shirts, ties, cufflinks, dress shoes, whatever all went to a charitable organization.  Had three passes at clearing out the closet.

As luck would have it even our daughters wedding a few years later was casual.  On a warm sandy resort beach.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 12:20 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

Corsets don’t have to be uncomfortable if they fit correctly. Mine are actually comfortable. You just have to be willing to “perch” if it’s a long one ( like from the teens). Bustles, too, not necessarily uncomfortable. They typically collapse when you sit down. Having said that, I have no intention of bringing any of my pre-1930s historical clothing onboard. And yes, more than one of my 1930s velvet  dresses have attended a HAL formal night.

Nice! Dh and I (and the kids) do Medieval, Renaissance, and Pirate cosplay and have always wanted to do a Halloween cruise just so we can bring our garb. We look pretty slick when we get rigged up. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2