Full Capacity

2 minutes ago, FlGoodShips said:

According to my NCL Consultant from Miami office...no time soon.

They have not been given a date.

Thanks - I wonder if the date comes from CDC or otherwise. Either way, I'm so happy to finally be back cruising later this year!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ottawa_Cruiser said:

Does anyone know when NCL plans on returning to full guest capacity onboard their fleet?

An analysist from JP MOrgan asked Frank Del Rio this very question in an official earnings call QA last summer. This is his response. To the best of my knowledge there have been no modifications to this policy. 

image.png.dea4d1bd82e70afd8fb499f7b7c53359.png

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-nclh-q2-2021-earnings-call-transcript/ar-AAN1Kgb?ocid=uxbndlbing

Notice the word "Trying". If NCL could sail with more passengers, they would. Consumer demand has not returned. 

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

An analysist from JP MOrgan asked Frank Del Rio this very question in an official earnings call QA last summer. This is his response. To the best of my knowledge there have been no modifications to this policy. 

image.png.dea4d1bd82e70afd8fb499f7b7c53359.png

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-nclh-q2-2021-earnings-call-transcript/ar-AAN1Kgb?ocid=uxbndlbing

Notice the word "Trying". If NCL could sail with more passengers, they would. Consumer demand has not returned. 

I do not understand this capacity issue.  I have not heard of anyone being denied a booking because the ship is already half full.   Do you really think the cruise line would deny another paying guest?  And I have not seen a sold out on any current cruisers offered.  Or maybe the cruise lines are waiting for a full capacity special rates.  But wait I am already getting solo rates from many cruise lines for Mexico this season.  I have taken six cruises in five months.   All booked one to two weeks out.   Even able to pick my cabin.  Cruising again next week on the Bliss on a good solo rate.  Would have been great if I could have used two cruise next certificates for my balcony.  Stupid recent policy change.👎

My opinion is that a lot people just are not ready to cruise.  Or cruisers would be jumping at current prices.  Even Alaska prices are reasonable.  But who knows what Canada is going to do. The cruise lines are taking credit for monitoring the capacity.  Makes them look good to the CDC.   When people feel it is safe to travel to a cruise without any restrictions, that is when ships will start filling up.✌️

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

I do not understand this capacity issue.  I have not heard of anyone being denied a booking because the ship is already half full.   Do you really think the cruise line would deny another paying guest?  And I have not seen a sold out on any current cruisers offered.  Or maybe the cruise lines are waiting for a full capacity special rates.  But wait I am already getting solo rates from many cruise lines for Mexico this season.  I have taken six cruises in five months.   All booked one to two weeks out.   Even able to pick my cabin.  Cruising again next week on the Bliss on a good solo rate.  Would have been great if I could have used two cruise next certificates for my balcony.  Stupid recent policy change.👎

My opinion is that a lot people just are not ready to cruise.  Or cruisers would be jumping at current prices.  Even Alaska prices are reasonable.  But who knows what Canada is going to do. The cruise lines are taking credit for monitoring the capacity.  Makes them look good to the CDC.   When people feel it is safe to travel to a cruise without any restrictions, that is when ships will start filling up.✌️

I have not heard of NCL doing it, but RCL did: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6673/

2 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

I have not heard of NCL doing it, but RCL did: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6673/

Cancelling cruises are a different topic.  And that was how many months ago.  And it was about covid concerns, not capacity.  And there are still a lot of ships out there that still haven't restarted.  That means more cabins to fill.✌️

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Mr. Del Rio was scheduled to give some kind of webnar presentation about 90 minutes ago.  Have not seen what he said as of yet.  I would guess somewhere 3rd or 4th quarter for full capacity.

I'm looking for the webnar. Do you have a link? I googled and nothing came up. Perhaps he is discussing how to hedge oil reserves? I also suspect they will dilute more shares soon, but one never knows. 

PS: I highly doubt cruising will be back to pre-pandemic capacity by the end of 2022. As if covid wasn't enough, families are getting hit hard with the highest inflation rates in the history of the USA.  Even with pent up demand and relaxed covid restrictions, analysists report that 2022 travel bookings remain low.

20 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm looking for the webnar. Do you have a link? I googled and nothing came up. Perhaps he is discussing how to hedge oil reserves? I also suspect they will dilute more shares soon, but one never knows. 

PS: I highly doubt cruising will be back to pre-pandemic capacity by the end of 2022. As if covid wasn't enough, families are getting hit hard with the highest inflation rates in the history of the USA.  Even with pent up demand and relaxed covid restrictions, analysists report that 2022 travel bookings remain low.

I got an email from Norwegian on Tuesday inviting to a Vitual Event held earlier today about the Sail Safe program.  I did not sign up for it so do not know what was going to be said.  Hopefully in a few hours more should come out of that discussion.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

I got an email from Norwegian on Tuesday inviting to a Vitual Event held earlier today about the Sail Safe program.  I did not sign up for it so do not know what was going to be said.  Hopefully in a few hours more should come out of that discussion.

I found a summary here. More sales pitch...

NCLH & SailSAFE Chairman Provide Second Pandemic Update | TravelPulse

2 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Cancelling cruises are a different topic.  And that was how many months ago.  And it was about covid concerns, not capacity.  And there are still a lot of ships out there that still haven't restarted.  That means more cabins to fill.✌️

You are missing my point.  Please read the article and the comment that I was responding to.

I heard on our recent dawn cruise that once the masks are removed, which is now, NCL would be looking at full capacity within a couple of months. 

However will they get full capacity? Many are still cautious about cruising, and numbers will build slowly. 

on our Feb 20th Dawn there was approximately 1,100 pax onboard. Up from around 850 on the first cruise in January. 

Deck 4 is exclusively for quarantine purposes.  

I am planning on posting a review shortly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

I was booked on one of the RCL cruises that paused bookings during the Omicron surge.  RCL did not accept new booking on some cruises for a few weeks, then as the omicron wave decreased, they re-opened bookings again.  They continued to sell cabins until usual closing time a couple days before cruise.  We sailed at about 65-70% capacity on my sailing.  The paused seemed a temporary, cautionary measure on select cruises during the surge.

At least at my closest port, other cruiselines are currently offering lower base fares than NCL.   Those lower headline fares may be drawing business away from NCL right now.  

• Like 1

My family and I sailed on Holland America January 2nd Nieuw Statendam Caribbean voyage from Port Everglades. The hundred thousand ton vessel normally holds twenty seven hundred passengers at double occupancy. With all berths full it can hold thirty three hundred passengers. Our ten day sailing had sixteen hundred passengers scheduled to board. On the Thursday before our sailing the CDC announced that even fully vaccinated passengers shouldn’t sail and the numerous cancellations on air flights caused the ship to sail with only six hundred thirty eight passengers. When we arrived at the terminal to check in at 12:30PM it looked like a ghost town. I felt bad for all the passengers that didn’t sail.

Some people haven't sailed due to Covid concerns.  Hopefully, they are feeling more comfortable as the numbers drop.

Some people didn't book due to mask rules.

Now that masks are optional on US sailings, hopefully they will come back.

Some people didn't sail to NCL's vaccination policy especially as it pertains to children.  Now, that NCL had changed it's 100 percent vaccination policy, those people will come back.

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

Sorry, but were you alive in the 1970's and 1980's?  Today's inflation is nothing compared to then.

thank you. My bad. I stand corrected. I just looked it up. Todays inflation rate of 7.65% is much lower than the 70s. I was born in 1969 so this is the highest Inflation rate I remember. 

• Thanks 1