Is Luminae over-rated or under-rated?

mfs2k

15 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- Does your wife know she has a twin living in Canada ??

There's a great topic for you to post: ( My Wife Reminds Me --- Cruise Edition )  -- should bring lots of discussion pages.  

That bread discussion preceeds my ordering the french onion soup, which I learned about in Blu that you can have every day--the upside of close tables where its actually nice to meet different folks. But also nice to have some privacy, except when, as a couple,  you run out of new things to discuss. Then you appreciate the close tables.It woudl be tacky to bring our Ipads to dinner and play a computer game at dinner which we do at home durign our "happy hour".

The offset to all the dining on board, is  when at sea you can have 2 a day workouts.

TMI

12 minutes ago, SueMo said:

Last week on the Edge we were offered the same three bread selections every day for dinner.  Midway through the week I actually asked the assistant server if they had anything different but she said no.  However, I am like the above poster--I do not need bread, problem solved for me, too!

need and want are two different things.

I like the  crust on many breads to the point I will just eat the crust

In the past for breakfast I get a smoked salmon plate a few times a week and a mini bagel--

I never asked if they had full size bagels, (forget everythign bagels) notwithstanding glares from my wife, who does look out for me,

but, as long as we are on topic of special orders,  does anybody know if they make full sized bagels on board? Just never thought to ask.

Edited by HMR74

2 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

need and want are two different things.

I like the  crust on many breads to the point I will just eat the crust

In the past for breakfast I get a smoked salmon plate a few times a week and a mini bagel--

I never asked of they had full size bagels, notwithstanding clars from my wife, who does look out for me,

but, as long as we ar eon topic of special prders,  does anybody know if they make full sized bagels on board?

I thought they were full sized in OVC...

bon appetit and bon voyage

5 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I thought they were full sized in OVC...

bon appetit and bon voyage

I was thinking about that as I typed. However, I am not a big fan of the  buffetts because I just do not like the tumult of being there, whether  searching for my meal, kind of like being on a treasure hunt,  or the too much action at the tables. Which is why I like the specialties and Blu and Luminae.

KISS method  and it allows me to relax and enjoy the meal.

Edited by HMR74
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Oville said:

My biggest issue with Luminae is the lack of veggies and salads.

Been in 2 different Luminaes since July 2022 and they accommodated DW's desire for salads every lunch (except port days) with grilled chicken on a fresh bed of salad. In the evening we had a standing order of a plate of cooked vegetables (for 3) broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus ( white or green), or bok choy, always 3 kinds. Reading all the "they don'ts" in these posts make us think we must have been treated really 'special' from the rest ? I wonder why ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

KISS method  and it allows me to relax and enjoy the meal.

LOL--- That's exactly what that " Old F--t " with the 32yr old I keep referring to was thinking every day before meals !!  My crystal ball tells me , the 32 yr old was thinking more of the Rolex watch he bought for her than the KISS method. 

( And besides---- If you want a good bagel--- go to Montreal ).

• Haha 1

If you're looking at the standard fare of chicken, steak, fish and veggies meals, you may find the offerings in the Luminae as oft-putting.  They have things like squab, duck confit pastas, etc.  I love their offerings.  But, I've seen more than one person in the Luminae order from the standard MDR offerings every night.

As always, it's about expectations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- That's exactly what that " Old F--t " with the 32yr old I keep referring to was thinking every day before meals !!  My crystal ball tells me , the 32 yr old was thinking more of the Rolex watch he bought for her than the KISS method. 

( And besides---- If you want a good bagel--- go to Montreal ).

Been to the Montreal Bagel place that I think you are referring to,  on I think north side of a big park. Many years ago.

Could have been Quebec, but I think it was during the Montreal Jazz Festival.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

If you're looking at the standard fare of chicken, steak, fish and veggies meals, you may find the offerings in the Luminae as oft-putting.  They have things like squab, duck confit pastas, etc.  I love their offerings.  But, I've seen more than one person in the Luminae order from the standard MDR offerings every night.

As always, it's about expectations.

That sounds great. I find dining on a cruise is the perfect time to try something different. If it isn't to your taste, you can ask for another entree or whatever - no problem, so for me, try 'it'. I've also done the 3 or so appetizers because that gives a good variety.

But so many who think they are 'meat and potatoes' find it fun to try 'whatever that is'. Be adventurous.....or just enjoy and stick with your standards. Thats what is nice about all of it. 

den

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

That sounds great. I find dining on a cruise is the perfect time to try something different. If it isn't to your taste, you can ask for another entree or whatever - no problem, so for me, try 'it'. I've also done the 3 or so appetizers because that gives a good variety.

But so many who think they are 'meat and potatoes' find it fun to try 'whatever that is'. Be adventurous.....or just enjoy and stick with your standards. Thats what is nice about all of it. 

den

old saying: when you go out to a restaurant, order something  you cannot easily make at home.

none of the bland but grand stuff on a cruise.

MDR's used to be more like bland not so grand, but it appears the new MDR concept on E ships mixes that up.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Been in 2 different Luminaes since July 2022 and they accommodated DW's desire for salads every lunch (except port days) with grilled chicken on a fresh bed of salad. In the evening we had a standing order of a plate of cooked vegetables (for 3) broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus ( white or green), or bok choy, always 3 kinds. Reading all the "they don'ts" in these posts make us think we must have been treated really 'special' from the rest ? I wonder why ?

Was this on an E-Class ship?  My only complaint is salads are offered and entrees pretty much come without vegetables.  Not real health eating.

27 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

Been to the Montreal Bagel place that I think you are referring to,  on I think north side of a big park. Many years ago.

Could have been Quebec, but I think it was during the Montreal Jazz Festival.

How about a bialy?

1 minute ago, peanut head said:

How about a bialy?

Bialy, Feh. not the same. But wife and daughters love them.

There is a limit to what restaurants at sea can do in terms of "Sku's for the meal ingredients.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SueMo said:

Last week on the Edge we were offered the same three bread selections every day for dinner.  Midway through the week I actually asked the assistant server if they had anything different but she said no.  However, I am like the above poster--I do not need bread, problem solved for me, too!

This week same issue ever night the same bread. So we asked can we have something else and they said yes just tell us what you would like. So we will see what happens.

3 hours ago, Oville said:

Was this on an E-Class ship?  My only complaint is salads are offered and entrees pretty much come without vegetables.  Not real health eating.

Edge and Equinox. Yes, the entrees came with few vegetables that appeared more garnish, so we ordered a plate of more vegetables, next night we ordered same only a double order on the vegetables, and on the third night onward we had a standing order of a plate for 3 on the vegetables. Whatever vegetables that the kitchen had already prepared that went with other entrees. The plate we shared always had 3 types. The salads were always crisp and DW loved their croutons, she stated they were not bag variety. She had a choice of topping with salmon or chicken. Thousand Island or Caesar. Daniel Boulard's tangine chicken was better than the chef's version  of Morrocan chicken (I had both different cruises). All in all we had 6 1/2 weeks of Luminae cuisine since July 2022 and it has been the best cruising ever. When we return to Celebrity it will be on the E Class for only one reason, we hate getting into crowded elevators even in the best of times. S -class deck 3 to deck 11 cabin, stairs are too much for us in our waning years.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Daniel Boulard's tangine chicken was better than the chef's version  of Moroccan chicken (I had both different cruises)

What is the Tangine Chicken, all I have had or seen is the Moroccan chicken which was horribly over cooked and tasteless both times I tried it. Not at all impressed with Chef Boulard.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

What is the Tangine Chicken, all I have had or seen is the Moroccan chicken which was horribly over cooked and tasteless both times I tried it. Not at all impressed with Chef Boulard.

Yes, Yes. Tangine I must be spelling it wrong. Did not take menu or food pictures (only my desserts did I bother to photograph). As I have often stated food is very personal and if one eats the same thing day after day when at home Everything on my cruise in the Retreat is exceptional, especially the desserts. I have 2 more pounds to lose before our next cruise in 10 days, no sugar until then.

I guess I like over cooked.....

Edited by morpheusofthesea

7 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Reminds me of a Buddy Hacket story. For most of his adolescent years he always complained about his stomach upsets, until he entered the army. Army cuisine cured him.

The Moroccan chicken has been the only bad meal I have had in Luminae on our two Retreat cruises. Overcooked means it was too dry to enjoy. Sorry, but that is my opinion and I do not think I would bother eating in one of his restaurants if this is one of his signature dishes.

Edited by terrydtx

13 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes, Yes. Tangine I must be spelling it wrong. Did not take menu or food pictures (only my desserts did I bother to photograph). As I have often stated food is very personal and if one eats the same thing day after day when at home Everything on my cruise in the Retreat is exceptional, especially the desserts. I have 2 more pounds to lose before our next cruise in 10 days, no sugar until then.

I guess I like over cooked.....

I had the Tagine Chicken on the Edge and it was excellent and flavourful. I just had it on the Reflection it it was a mess, one of the few real misses in Luminae on the Reflection. It was served in broth with the Couscous brought in a separate bowl. The chicken was flavorless because of how they prepared it. On the Edge it was tasty and had a good spicy hotness to it.  The picture below is the hot mess from the Reflection.

PXL_20220303_005717419.jpg

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I had the Tagine Chicken on the Edge and it was excellent and flavourful. I just had it on the Reflection it it was a mess, one of the few real misses in Luminae on the Reflection. It was served in broth with the Couscous brought in a separate bowl. The chicken was flavorless because of how they prepared it. On the Edge it was tasty and had a good spicy hotness to it.  The picture below is the hot mess from the Reflection.

That is the way I remember it on the Equinox last year, prepared about the same way. We will be on the Reflection in August and I can see not to waste my time trying it again. Has anyone tried the Daniel Boulud Appetizer, Chilled ginger and carrot veloute with prawns, is it any good?

After reading the description in the Celebrity app this dish is called : Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Saffron", so whether it is Tagine or Moroccan chicken it is the same dish.

Edited by terrydtx

43 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

That is the way I remember it on the Equinox last year, prepared about the same way. We will be on the Reflection in August and I can see not to waste my time trying it again. Has anyone tried the Daniel Boulud Appetizer, Chilled ginger and carrot veloute with prawns, is it any good?

After reading the description in the Celebrity app this dish is called : Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Saffron", so whether it is Tagine or Moroccan chicken it is the same dish.

I also tried it a few years ago since my last cruise. Dry and tasteless and would not waste my time trying it again either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

At one point it was sous vide, which is usually the best way to cook chicken as long as you add some flavoring and sear it, but this was probably sous vide and frozen prior to being brought on board.  No idea if this is still the case.

image.thumb.png.aab16a99f10fa58e577c729124c2c99c.png

We have loved Luminae.   And we have loved Blu.   And even on some busy tired evenings we've had some wonderful dinners in Oceanview.   You know, if you're out all day in the sun until 5 pm or so and you're exhausted, all you want is something simple and casual.   We don't cruise to "get our money's worth" on food.   We have even been known many many times to skip lunch or breakfast altogether!! We have had packages on cruises where we only ate in specialties.   However, we *do* love fine dining and great food and beverage - and we haven't been disappointed on any cruise except for just a couple missteps.  

Back to Luminae:   they want you to be happy and customizing is easier there because of the size and number of people compared to other dining venues.   One night I really didn't want anything but a big plate full of lettuce with some grilled chicken on it.   I knew they had both in the kitchen.   I asked for it with vinaigrette on the side and it was perfect.    Other times I've preferred a larger amount of broccoli (for example) rather than just a garnish, and they gave me a great serving of it.    I often ask them to change things like the great Luminae chicken and waffles - I ask for ONE waffle and ONE chicken.   Don't like to waste food.  

If it's a really special request, it would be courteous to make that early in the day or even the night before. 

We had a special request one time in Murano.  It was on a cruise where we used our OBC to just eat in the specialties as we had booked a concierge room and we have never been fond of the MDR.   So on our third evening in Murano, we got to talking to the head chef and he told us where he was from.  We asked him what HE loves to cook and eat and he told us.  It was a rice and beans dish and had some grilled vegetables.   We told him we would be honored if he'd prepare it for us two nights later.   He did!   It was so great.  He even sat with us a bit and we got to know more about his family.   It was so special.  

Little things like that really make us miss cruising.   We haven't been on a ship since Feb. 2020 and have no plans any time soon as we're full time caregivers for my 100 year old dad living with us.   But one day we'll step on board again.   We'll be ready, that's for sure!!!!  

• Like 3