Is Luminae over-rated or under-rated?

mfs2k

23 minutes ago, markeb said:

But then it wouldn’t be Cruise CRITIC 😃!

It let me start the edit, but not post it!

That was intended to be funny, but it's a little too flippant! I think people have legitimate questions and comments and criticisms. I do sometimes think criticism flows too easily, especially online. I'm guilty of it too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

On most ships (not E-class) you can order the more "familiar" MDR food in Luminae -so no grumpy face 😫.  On Edge and Apex just ask the waiter for the every day selections -so no grumpy face😫.  If you pay for a suite and feel the Luminae selections sound unfamiliar or are too "foody" and not to your taste,  there are a lot of dining alternatives on these ships.  Nobody should feel locked in to any specific dining venue.  So no grumpy face 😫 is ever needed on your vacation😀!

That's only if you KNOW that the MDR selections are available to order and that's not the case on E-Class ships. I have already explained that it IS NOT the policy for Luminae to offer any additional food choices UNLESS the guest asks. Other dining room menus ARE NOT, I repeat are not supposed to be given out without the guest asking for them. If alternative menus are being given out without prompting from guest that's being done solely by the individual server or Luminae host who worries that the existing menu is too limited and preemptively mitigating the issue to garner better ratings.  

We already have a poster on this thread that doesn't feel comfortable to ask alternatives and only orders what's in the menu presented to them. The only way to properly mitigate this issue is to have the main Lumniae menu have a permanent always included section. TBH I don't see this happening since it would be an admission that the existing menu isn't adequate. Luminae is supposed to operate as a Specialty Restaurant for Suite passengers. I don't know of any Cruiseship Specialty Restaurant that has an  alternative selection beyond what's offered. 

I disembarked last week from the Reflection in Retreat Class, my second experience in a suite. I will write up my own post on experience but I can tell you that if you don't ask, then what you see is what you get. If you go into Luminae, look at the menu and then order from it exactly as listed, no Server is going to go on asking if you want something else, or if you want it changed, or if you want it different. And to be honest that's how it should be. If I give my order for a starter without alteration and I order the entree also without alteration I don't need the Server to ask any more questions or give me any more suggestions. If I ask the Server to alter a dish or that I'm not happy with what's being offered that night then it should be the Server's job to offer suggestions and alternatives.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, markeb said:

It let me start the edit, but not post it!

That was intended to be funny, but it's a little too flippant! I think people have legitimate questions and comments and criticisms. I do sometimes think criticism flows too easily, especially online. I'm guilty of it too!

No, not you???

LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 1

We find the ambience in the Luminae makes the food taste better. We are so pleased to be back on board we don't need to bring our rose-colored glasses. Reading the posts on most of the other premium cruise line sites on CC to get a 'feel' for their suite life. Find many complain about the food as well. Funny though, yesterday Oceania came out with 180 day around the world cruise and it sold out in a record time of 30 minutes. (So much for the 'food' critics, not).

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kwokpot said:

That's only if you KNOW that the MDR selections are available to order and that's not the case on E-Class ships. I have already explained that it IS NOT the policy for Luminae to offer any additional food choices UNLESS the guest asks. Other dining room menus ARE NOT, I repeat are not supposed to be given out without the guest asking for them. If alternative menus are being given out without prompting from guest that's being done solely by the individual server or Luminae host who worries that the existing menu is too limited and preemptively mitigating the issue to garner better ratings.  

We already have a poster on this thread that doesn't feel comfortable to ask alternatives and only orders what's in the menu presented to them. The only way to properly mitigate this issue is to have the main Lumniae menu have a permanent always included section. TBH I don't see this happening since it would be an admission that the existing menu isn't adequate. Luminae is supposed to operate as a Specialty Restaurant for Suite passengers. I don't know of any Cruiseship Specialty Restaurant that has an  alternative selection beyond what's offered. 

I disembarked last week from the Reflection in Retreat Class, my second experience in a suite. I will write up my own post on experience but I can tell you that if you don't ask, then what you see is what you get. If you go into Luminae, look at the menu and then order from it exactly as listed, no Server is going to go on asking if you want something else, or if you want it changed, or if you want it different. And to be honest that's how it should be. If I give my order for a starter without alteration and I order the entree also without alteration I don't need the Server to ask any more questions or give me any more suggestions. If I ask the Server to alter a dish or that I'm not happy with what's being offered that night then it should be the Server's job to offer suggestions and alternatives.

Yes understood.  You have posted this type of comment on several occasions.  I do not have a disagreement with it.  But isn't that why we come to Cruise Critic?  So people in suites dining in Luminae will know the secret of asking their waiter for the alternative choices off menu?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mikewomb said:

We have always been very pleased with Luminae. I would say to us, it is the best food at sea. 

Overall,  I would say the same but we haven't cruised on any of the luxury lines, known for their known excellent cuisine. 

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Which ones are those ?

We have cruised on Seabourn which I like, but the food isn’t anything special. Crystal which is out of business had the worst food I have ever had. Regent I have a vague memory, and Silversea was very poor. 

3 hours ago, lovrccl said:

We are on Edge now. The first night we ate in Luminae they told us right away we have the option of ordering things that weren't on the menu. Salmon, chicken, steak. These are available each night along with the menu. 

This is not new and has been around for quite some time.

1 minute ago, Oville said:

My biggest issue with Luminae is the lack of veggies and salads.

I also had that issue until I asked for a garden salad with ranch dressing when ordering my meal.  Our waitress did not blink and eye and my salad was delivered pre-entre.  

I have found that it does not necessarily have to be on the menu to request.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There seem to be several easy things Celebrity could do to improve some guests experiences, especially those they know are newcomers….

List the everyday items on the menu so guests know they exist.

Perhaps offer a few additional sides (garden salad, broccoli, jacket potato), again listed on the menu.

Ensure on S and M class the waiters inform guests that the MDR menu is also available.

In the longer term I am sure most suite guests would be happy to fill in a detailed questionnaire indicating what they like about Luminae but also the opportunity to say how it could be further improved. Even from this one post it would seem that Luminae is seen as an important part of the whole suite experience but that it does have some issues for several guests.

Personally the suggestions I would make would be to….

Refresh and expand the entree choices.

Address the balance of dishes re vegetables.

Offer an occasional special ‘dish of the day’. We have been on cruises where Oceanview has managed to offer fresh fish from a port stop, surely once or twice per cruise Luminae could manage this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Offer an occasional special ‘dish of the day’. We have been on cruises where Oceanview has managed to offer fresh fish from a port stop, surely once or twice per cruise Luminae could manage this?

Those are some great ideas and I think most here would agree. The entree choices need to be recycled at least annually. The Special Chef Boulud Moroccan Chicken is on the menu every night and IMO nothing to write home about.  Surely Boulud has more than just this signature dish that can be changed 2 or 3 times a week? The Everday items we all know are available, should be on the menu like they are on the MDR menus. I can understand how offering a fresh fish from a port stop could be logistically impossible but at least have a regionally inspired dish from the country of the port stop that could be sourced before the cruise departs.  These are all ideas that we should bring up in our post cruise surveys.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

One new issue not yet discussed is the set up on Beyond, where the Luminae location becomes an attraction, and slightly better than on Apex.

That set up probably means a true separate kitchen, but thats my guess. However, if an evenings choices in Luminae are not our favorites we can always order a plain beef, ( or Chicken or fish)  veggie and starch, or head over to Blu. 

even the 4 MDRs on E class are spruced up to give the better ambiance.

i feel that the quality of the basic food, beef, chicken and fish, in Luminae and BLU are more of restaurant quality than MDR, and the other part is preparation, and I do believe the staff in L or B on balance are the better skilled. After the first day they know your particular “habits”, which I screw up on as I switch between  3 pre dinner drinks, but the waitstaff smiles and we do too. 

I do sometimes yearn for the bread basket in MDR, but my wife reminds me I do not need bread, problem solved.

The Retreat has several amenities besides larger cabins and then the bathrooms. The lounge right there is interesting as well as the outside covered tables, which I will use late night if I want to snack and browse internet.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mikewomb said:

We have cruised on Seabourn which I like, but the food isn’t anything special. Crystal which is out of business had the worst food I have ever had. Regent I have a vague memory, and Silversea was very poor. 

That is good to know, I had heard from friends who cruise with Regent and Silverseas and they always rave about the food. For us Celebrity Retreat and Luminae is all we need for added luxury.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Oville said:

My biggest issue with Luminae is the lack of veggies and salads.

Interesting comment,  I have thought the same on occasion.  But you can order at least a Caesar salad from the "hidden" daily options.

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

There seem to be several easy things Celebrity could do to improve some guests experiences, especially those they know are newcomers….

List the everyday items on the menu so guests know they exist.

Perhaps offer a few additional sides (garden salad, broccoli, jacket potato), again listed on the menu.

Ensure on S and M class the waiters inform guests that the MDR menu is also available.

In the longer term I am sure most suite guests would be happy to fill in a detailed questionnaire indicating what they like about Luminae but also the opportunity to say how it could be further improved. Even from this one post it would seem that Luminae is seen as an important part of the whole suite experience but that it does have some issues for several guests.

Personally the suggestions I would make would be to….

When we sailed Edge (2019) the Luminae menu was delivered to us every night with a second paper menu with the every day selections.  I guess not any more.

52 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

I do sometimes yearn for the bread basket in MDR, but my wife reminds me I do not need bread, problem solved.

We love the Luminae bread selections brought to the table by one of the assistant waiters.  We enjoy the crispy flat breads and the various selections.  I am a fan of the breakfast version and love the green pistachio roll!

2 hours ago, HMR74 said:

LOL--- Does your wife know she has a twin living in Canada ??

There's a great topic for you to post: ( My Wife Reminds Me --- Cruise Edition )  -- should bring lots of discussion pages.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

We love the Luminae bread selections brought to the table by one of the assistant waiters.  We enjoy the crispy flat breads and the various selections.  I am a fan of the breakfast version and love the green pistachio roll!

Last week on the Edge we were offered the same three bread selections every day for dinner.  Midway through the week I actually asked the assistant server if they had anything different but she said no.  However, I am like the above poster--I do not need bread, problem solved for me, too!