Canada Releases Guidelines for Return of Cruise Ships

milolii

13 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

I think I might just do a land trip in UK instead of my NE Canada Cruise.  It would be much simpler - no test required.

Our next cruise is on Emerald Princess doing a British Isles in and out of Southampton, so we are delighted with no test!  However, we will need the test provided by Princess to return home to Canada.  We don’t really care if we test positive because they can’t deny us entry and will just tell us to go straight home and quarantine.  Nooooo problem!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

Yes that length of quarantine is out of step.  Canada must not have been out of the pandemic stage yet...

And the odd thing is that the entry requirements for fully vaccinated travelers (and according to the new cruise regs, everyone is to be vaccinated) stipulate that a 10-day isolation/quarantine is required.  So, why are they slapping 14 on cruisers?  Their own regulations conflict - and it isn't the first time.

5 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Sure!  Hope this helps, but please read over the above link to familiarize yourself with the requirements.

You must submit info on the app 72 hours before arriving in Canada

You will need to submit contact info in Canada (your ship),  vaccination proof, pre-entry Covid test results, your travel history, your quarantine plan should you test positive (questions about where you will stay) and you may put multiple people on one submission.  Really just a bunch of questions along with your vaccinations and test results.  I’m Canadian, so a bit less complicated and I can’t be denied entry.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the info! We're from the US.  I wonder what we need to have as a quarantine plan if we test positive at the terminal prior to boarding. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Thank you so much for the info! We're from the US.  I wonder what we need to have as a quarantine plan if we test positive at the terminal prior to boarding. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions? 

Someone on these boards said that Princess will send you to a hotel and assist with changing your flights.  They will pay a predetermined amount for food and lodging.  I would think your travel insurance, if you have coverage for Covid, will reimburse you for your new flights.  It’s all such a pain, right!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Someone on these boards said that Princess will send you to a hotel and assist with changing your flights.  They will pay a predetermined amount for food and lodging.  I would think your travel insurance, if you have coverage for Covid, will reimburse you for your new flights.  It’s all such a pain, right!

Thanks! PAIN is right. We set sail from Vancouver May 11. I wonder if there might be positive changes in requirements by then. I keep hoping. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wendellman said:

So if a US passenger tests positive at disembarkation in Vancouver, do they have to quarantine in Vancouver for 14 days before they can go to (YVR) airport and return to US?

You can’t fly into the US after testing positive.  You need a negative test to board the flight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1965 said:

Thanks! PAIN is right. We set sail from Vancouver May 11. I wonder if there might be positive changes in requirements by then. I keep hoping. 

I have my fingers crossed for all of us!

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Our next cruise is on Emerald Princess doing a British Isles in and out of Southampton, so we are delighted with no test!  However, we will need the test provided by Princess to return home to Canada.  We don’t really care if we test positive because they can’t deny us entry and will just tell us to go straight home and quarantine.  Nooooo problem!

No, but they can deny you boarding the flight back home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

For your May 7 cruise you need a molecular test 72 hours prior to embarking, which would be May 4 OR an antigen test within one day of embarking, which would be May 6.  You will need to use ArriveCAN app before arrival in Canada.  The exact same applies to disembarkation.  I assume Princess will arrange your test either onboard the day before or in the terminal when you disembark.  Again, don’t forget the ArriveCAN app before you get back to Canada.  Hope this helps.

If you do a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage, you'll need to have a PCR test WITHIN 72hours or an Antigen test WITHIN one day of the scheduled departure. I emphasize the word WITHIN because it's the important timeframe you need to consider.

Let's use an example - if the ship departs on Saturday, then the EARLIEST PCR test you could do is on Wednesday. And the EARLIEST Antigen test you could do is on Friday, not BEFORE that. 

If you fly from US to Canada on Friday, you could do Antigen test on Friday morning (maybe using eMed 15-min test) and use the same result for both entering Canada and for boarding the ship.

If you fly from US to Canada on Thursday and do the PCR test on Wednesday (within 72-hrs of boarding the ship), then you may use the same result for both entering Canada and for boarding the ship. If you do Antigen test, then you may have to do it twice - one before flying to Canada and another one on Friday (or later) to board the ship on Saturday.

image.thumb.png.7c66cff40f44a0980431a159f508439c.png

18 minutes ago, 1965 said:

My guess is there will be an amended version of the app for cruisers but I have used a hotel address as my quarantine plan numerous times upon entry to Canada and it’s been accepted every time.  My suggestion would be to find an acceptable hotel in the area and enter that address.  If you are required to quarantine (paid for by Princess) and go somewhere else then you can amend the information at that time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

And the odd thing is that the entry requirements for fully vaccinated travelers (and according to the new cruise regs, everyone is to be vaccinated) stipulate that a 10-day isolation/quarantine is required.  So, why are they slapping 14 on cruisers?  Their own regulations conflict - and it isn't the first time.

The 14 days is not just for cruisers; it’s for everyone entering Canada and has been a requirement since they re-opened the border.  This most definitely requires an update.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

The 14 days is not just for cruisers; it’s for everyone entering Canada and has been a requirement since they re-opened the border.  This most definitely requires an update.

Not quite.  10-days if someone who is fully-vaccinated comes in positive or tests positive at the border if randomly selected.  14 days is for the unvaccinated.

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not quite.  10-days if someone who is fully-vaccinated comes in positive or tests positive at the border if randomly selected.  14 days is for the unvaccinated.

It is still 14 days on the ArriveCAN app for the fully vaccinated:

0994F679-B5DA-450C-BDA7-248EBEE85A33.thumb.jpeg.f43b7122d13ac38bf6f7d6fef9fa3b0a.jpeg

20 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It is still 14 days on the ArriveCAN app for the fully vaccinated:

0994F679-B5DA-450C-BDA7-248EBEE85A33.thumb.jpeg.f43b7122d13ac38bf6f7d6fef9fa3b0a.jpeg

I can't help it if the government isn't updating the App.  Here is latest info from government Canada website:

Positive arrival test, symptoms, or exposure after your arrival

Monitor for symptoms for 14 days after your arrival.

If a fully vaccinated traveller or unvaccinated child under 12 years of age tests positive:

If a parent, step-parent, guardian, or tutor a child has travelled with experiences symptoms or tests positive:

If a person you travelled with develops symptoms or tests positive, you must begin a 14-day quarantine period starting from your last exposure to the person.

You must provide proof of your test results, if asked, to any federal, provincial, territorial or municipal government official or peace officer.

Edited by Steelers36

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I can't help it if the government isn't updating the App.  Here is latest info from government Canada website:

Positive arrival test, symptoms, or exposure after your arrival

Monitor for symptoms for 14 days after your arrival.

If a fully vaccinated traveller or unvaccinated child under 12 years of age tests positive:

If a parent, step-parent, guardian, or tutor a child has travelled with experiences symptoms or tests positive:

If a person you travelled with develops symptoms or tests positive, you must begin a 14-day quarantine period starting from your last exposure to the person.

You must provide proof of your test results, if asked, to any federal, provincial, territorial or municipal government official or peace officer.

Looks clear as mud to me.  Well done, Canada. 👍

• Like 1

I would think that if us citizens tested positive but were asymptomatic at the Canadian ports of disembarkation, (which are very close to the border where land tests are not required) the cruise lines should just load everyone up on a sealed bus, drive across the border, and get flights home from the closest domestic airport.  Since there is no testing on domestic US flights what's the difference.  Obviously, if you are coughing up a lung, you should quarantine - although I get the feeling the Canadian govt doesn't want sick Americans quarantining in Canada.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I would think that if us citizens tested positive but were asymptomatic at the Canadian ports of disembarkation, (which are very close to the border where land tests are not required) the cruise lines should just load everyone up on a sealed bus, drive across the border, and get flights home from the closest domestic airport.  Since there is no testing on domestic US flights what's the difference.  Obviously, if you are coughing up a lung, you should quarantine - although I get the feeling the Canadian govt doesn't want sick Americans quarantining in Canada.

What?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Oh HELL NO!@@!! My actual words wouldn't be allowed. 

If on a cruise ship then quarantine us onboard until we reach final destination, turn us over to local health dept, let us drive home if close, or put us up under CRUISE WITH CONFIDENCE.  DO NOT put an asymptomatic or symptomatic person on a plane 

My cruise begins and ends in SF. Others begin and end in LA, Seattle, NY .... do-able.

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2