Not another dress code thread

bitob

I think thar Cunard takes the dress code seriously and doesn't give job to someone on work experience. Hence is cognizant of the meaning of the words on its website. 

Daytime , "Wear what you are comfortable with" it's meaning is absolutely clear , no rules in day.  People can judge the Lady in the swim suit, but she followed the rules. Anyway  in my biased opinion anywhere with a tray, is not a restaurant,  no different to Macdonalds. 

As for jackets,  Jackets  optional is here to stay. Does a Jacket make you look smart. Heck no, 

Only good dress code is gala nights, I'd vote for more

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lissie said:

No I'm not - be sensible! I pretty sure you have  to wear some clothes at all times ... 

I'm not saying I've never worn a swimsuit inside QE - but what I will say I have always worn  EITHER underwear or a swimsuit plus something of the top ... You figure it out. 

I have a tankini that I've worn to a number of night clubs too (not on QE) - its black, has spaghetti straps - and anyone seeing it with a skirt and a dressy shoes would assume that it was  a top - but I bought it in the swimsuit aisle and I wear it in pools too. Don't assume swimgear is single purpose. My partner's swim shorts are also gym shorts - same deal - can't tell the difference. 

Then, don’t say things like:  “there was ZERO dress code in ANY area before 6:00 PM”’

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Then, don’t say things like:  “there was ZERO dress code in ANY area before 6:00 PM”’

Wear what you like before 6pm, thus there is effectively no dress code before 6pm ,  which could be expressed as zero dress code. 

Which is however completely different  to a code of zero  dress before 6pm.

• Like 1

Just now, Windsurfboy said:

Wear what you like before 6pm, thus there is effectively no dress code before 6pm ,  which could be expressed as zero dress code. 

Which is however completely different  to a code of zero  dress before 6pm.

Thank goodness for that.

Just a note to mention that swimwear is one item where there is a stated dress code before 6pm, at least in "dining areas". Quoting from the (in)famous "What to pack" page:

"Swimwear isn’t permitted in indoor dining areas, so if you are planning to visit your stateroom’s main restaurant for breakfast or lunch, be sure to factor in time for a quick change in your stateroom. Alternatively, enjoy complimentary room service or a drink brought to you on your sun lounger as you while away the hours at sea."

There was a "Daytime wear" section in some older daily programmes, but I'm not finding that in recent daily programmes others have contributed to this forum.

One can pick holes in many guidelines if closely studied.

I would have thought not permitted in indoor dining areas was the focal point of the directive. Kings Court is an indoor dining area even if not specifically mentioned in the supplementary advice.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 6:00 PM, bluemarble said:

Here is the wording for the dress code as listed in recent daily programmes posted by other contributors to this forum. This is since the resumption of service this past summer when jackets became optional for gentlemen on the Smart Attire evenings. Each evening is one of these two categories, Gala Evening (formal) or Smart Attire.

"Gala Evening.

Dinner jacket, tuxedo, or dark suit with regular tie or bow tie for gentlemen. Evening or cocktail dress, smart trouser suit, or formal separates for ladies.

Smart Attire.

Gentlemen, every night we request you wear trousers with a collared shirt; jacket and tie is optional. Ladies, blouses and skirts or stylish trousers and dresses are welcome."

Hello All

We were on QM2 for the Holiday Cruise and dress code was okay. We were   on the QM2 for two weeks beginning Feb 22. 

I started reading this and did not take the time to read any further.

What we saw with our own eyes, no guessing

Gala Nights: First two there was a mix of tuxedos and more suits than usual, some no ties!!!

Women in gowns and simple dresses that I would not consider "dressy". The ambiance was gone, gone, gone

The third gala night, for some reason, most passengers were dressed as in the past. 

The last formal night, a man was sitting next to me in the theatre in khakis, sneakers and golfer shirt, no jacket, obviously no one stopped him coming in

Other than Gala nights:

For the first few evenings (at sea) most men were without jackets. A good number did wear them, very few ties

The first port night, I don't want to mention other cruise lines, but QM2 was no different. It was shocking to see dozens and dozens of men in Caribbean shirts (similar to Hawaiian shirts) of course, not tucked in. Obviously, they read the dress code in the daily program and bought the shirts first chance they had. Many others were in "cotton pants" not "smart trousers" and as far as "collared shirts" they were in golfer shirts, also lots of short sleeve shirts, that could have used an iron! There were jeans/sneakers and now and then a jacket worn over this. This continued for the rest of the cruise. 

I will not dare to discuss the ladies attire on non gala nights

Till Cunard removes "jacket and tie are optional" the dress code will continue to decline.

Those of us that cruise Cunard for the ambiance, had better start contacting Cunard about the jacket optional. I don't mind no ties, but the jackets do make a difference.....and then perhaps, the ladies attire would also improve.

...and please "don't shoot the messenger", me

We are returning to QM2 on March 27th and hopefully things will improve

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Does a Jacket make you look smart. Heck no, 

Well, I had planned to go open neck some nights and a waistcoat without jacket on another couple.

However, both of us have improved our weight significantly since we last cruised, and particularly in the last year. So we photographed each other with my phone trying on the clothes we plan to wear. A few seconds later the photos appear on my PC screen. I then compared my planned outfits with what my wife will wear on the same night. In almost every case where I'm not wearing a jacket, collar and tie, I look a right scruff beside the picture of my wife in her outfit. Therefore I will be wearing jacket, shirt and tie every night. The waistcoat can stay at home and be replaced by a few extra ties.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Exlondoner,

You would as shocked as I was when we were on our first sailing on the QM2 and went to lunch in the Kings Court. Don't remember what day # it was.

This lady, yes lady, for real came walking into the Italian location in KC with a One Piece Swim Suit, a Private Bathrobe (not ship's supplied) and yes, yes a Rubber Swim Cap and pair of bath slipper.

Well the rest of the story, honestly. Walked in and picked up some stuff at various counters. Everyone watching, passengers and staff including Restaurant Manager. Well she finished picking up selections on a tray and then proceeded to the Deck 7 Staircase in the rear outside deck.

All at a awl...... I think staff was so shocked that they did not want to start something in Mid Lunch time and just wanted her to leave. Didn't look like she was ever going to sit.

Everyone passengers and staff just looked at each other amazed. I wish I had a phone to take a pictures of this.

As  dedicated Cunarder to Cruise Critics........ It Did happened......lol

Can't believe I'm the first to proffer the line 'that was no lady...'!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, D&N said:

Well, I had planned to go open neck some nights and a waistcoat without jacket on another couple.

However, both of us have improved our weight significantly since we last cruised, and particularly in the last year. So we photographed each other with my phone trying on the clothes we plan to wear. A few seconds later the photos appear on my PC screen. I then compared my planned outfits with what my wife will wear on the same night. In almost every case where I'm not wearing a jacket, collar and tie, I look a right scruff beside the picture of my wife in her outfit. Therefore I will be wearing jacket, shirt and tie every night. The waistcoat can stay at home and be replaced by a few extra ties.

Do you plan your outfits for every night?

I never know what I'll wear until I rummage in the wardrobe.🙂

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Do you plan your outfits for every night?

Yes, we plan pretty much everything. We never go to the kitchen and say what would you like for lunch. We know what is planned before we shop. We can of course make changes to the plans.

There's close to 9 metres of packed rails in the wardrobes. We don't have space for my wife to take around 100 potential outfits so have whittled that down to what we agree are the best for evening wear and lunches. Many of the separates can be swapped giving more choice.

Incidentally if we go out for lunch at home, that is as a preference to dining because transport is easier. We're perhaps slightly more casual than in evenings, but we still dress differently than we would staying in.

1 hour ago, Queen of the Queen said:

Hello All

We were on QM2 for the Holiday Cruise and dress code was okay. We were   on the QM2 for two weeks beginning Feb 22. 

I started reading this and did not take the time to read any further.

What we saw with our own eyes, no guessing

Gala Nights: First two there was a mix of tuxedos and more suits than usual, some no ties!!!

Women in gowns and simple dresses that I would not consider "dressy". The ambiance was gone, gone, gone

The third gala night, for some reason, most passengers were dressed as in the past. 

The last formal night, a man was sitting next to me in the theatre in khakis, sneakers and golfer shirt, no jacket, obviously no one stopped him coming in

Other than Gala nights:

For the first few evenings (at sea) most men were without jackets. A good number did wear them, very few ties

The first port night, I don't want to mention other cruise lines, but QM2 was no different. It was shocking to see dozens and dozens of men in Caribbean shirts (similar to Hawaiian shirts) of course, not tucked in. Obviously, they read the dress code in the daily program and bought the shirts first chance they had. Many others were in "cotton pants" not "smart trousers" and as far as "collared shirts" they were in golfer shirts, also lots of short sleeve shirts, that could have used an iron! There were jeans/sneakers and now and then a jacket worn over this. This continued for the rest of the cruise. 

I will not dare to discuss the ladies attire on non gala nights

Till Cunard removes "jacket and tie are optional" the dress code will continue to decline.

Those of us that cruise Cunard for the ambiance, had better start contacting Cunard about the jacket optional. I don't mind no ties, but the jackets do make a difference.....and then perhaps, the ladies attire would also improve.

...and please "don't shoot the messenger", me

We are returning to QM2 on March 27th and hopefully things will improve

You must let us know your findings of your cruise in March

6 hours ago, Queen of the Queen said:

Other than Gala nights:

What's a "golfer's shirt" ? Is it what I'd call a polo shirt e.g. something like this https://www.roddandgunn.com/nz/the-gunn-polo  I did wonder about those. I don't see an issue with a short-sleeved hawaiian shirt though - that fits the smart casual  dress code. 

Daytime . 

It seems swimwear is allowed anywhere in the ship except dining areas. Not something that I will be taking advantage of  , but those are the rules.

You are certainly allowed to walk back to your cabin in swim wear to change. Something that I will do as I go for my early morning swim. 

Oh how things have changed since my first questions less than 5 years ago , when told (wrongly) by diehards if I wanted to wear shorts would have to eat in "canteen"

Smart attire. 

Even though it may be allowed I don't see a Hawaiian shirts as smart evening wear 

I have just received a leaflet from Cunard with regard to my next cruise. There is a photo of a group of people obviously having dinner in the  dining room and the man is depicted in a long sleeve shirt and no tie.  And the message is therefore that a jacket is no longer required as long  as you are smartly dressed, as is stated in their advice on what to wear.

3 hours ago, Mostonian said:

I have just received a leaflet from Cunard with regard to my next cruise. There is a photo of a group of people obviously having dinner in the  dining room and the man is depicted in a long sleeve shirt and no tie.  And the message is therefore that a jacket is no longer required as long  as you are smartly dressed, as is stated in their advice on what to wear.

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!

Yesssss!!!!. Cunard has given up the battle of tradition in the name of filling all their fleet. But we that know the difference can still raise the level of ambiance by wearing a tie, dress shirt, fine trousers and a jacket and the ladies can do their part though they seldom do let down to the level of the men who think "smart attire" is a clean T.

Smart Attire Dress Code

Having read many posts and Cunard’s information on the dress code.  One has reached the conclusion it’s the taste mindset of the poster that determines the direction of travel.  

On one side a Casual will set their limits in accordance with an interpretation of Cunard’s dress code minimums as being in good taste.  While those seeking to uphold Cunard’s dress code traditions feel the Cunard minimums interpretation by Casuals are perceived as being in poor taste. 
The gulf between taste mindsets will always remain.

2 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Yesssss!!!!. Cunard has given up the battle of tradition in the name of filling all their fleet. But we that know the difference can still raise the level of ambiance by wearing a tie, dress shirt, fine trousers and a jacket and the ladies can do their part though they seldom do let down to the level of the men who think "smart attire" is a clean T.

“Smart” is a very stupid word to use when trying to discuss appropriate clothing. 

It is so highly subjective as to be pointless — some posts here refer to a tee shirt as being part of a “smart” outfit.   Yeah … sure, if it is under a dress shirt (perhaps with a necktie) and that dress shirt is under a jacket (which on a formal night would at least match the trousers).

"Smart" in this context is a word that sounds meaningful until you ask yourself what it actually means.  But here's another question:  why would I wear a floor length gown if the men are in shirtsleeves?  As @D&N said, he looked a right scruff next to his wife in her gowns, and conversely I expect she looked like she had begun to lose her marbles.

• Like 2