Solarium pool on Hawaii cruise

drakes2

8 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I can't wait for this cruise in April but so disappointed in Celebrity's shore excursions offerings. We have an overnight in Maui & Hilo and there are literally very few excursions to choose from. Since we tender in Lahaina we can't even do Road to Hana. Very disappointed 😞  Looks like a beach day in both those islands. 

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall they were not docking in Lahania for Maui anymore but somewhere that stars with a K. I don't remember the name.  

6 minutes ago, mauimary said:

There’s even more cars in Kuhului!  Just be sure to book before you leave home. 

I just got off the phone with a Celebrity agent. As of today the ship is still tendering in Lahaina and we are free to explore all islands on our own. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

It rains pretty much every day on the Hilo side of Hawaii.   Be sure to bring a light poncho as umbrellas are awkward when you are touring.   The paths can be slippery so bring good walking shoes.   Wouldn’t plan a beach day in that area.

Thank you I did not know that. I will add a poncho to my list of travel items to purchase.  I think the only beach day planned is in Maui.

17 hours ago, nikel said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall they were not docking in Lahania for Maui anymore but somewhere that stars with a K. I don't remember the name.  

Is this accurate? I've looked at itineraries for both April and September on the X website and both specifically say Lahaina.

44 minutes ago, AndyCapn said:

Is this accurate? I've looked at itineraries for both April and September on the X website and both specifically say Lahaina.

Yes Eclipse is tendering in Lahaina. 

Lahaina is perfectly situated for renting cars or taking taxi or shuttle out to Whalers Village.  Kaanapali Beach has the best promenade for just strolling or taking in a restaurant.  Very nice beach too.  Lahaina has a number of fun restaurants including one right across from where the tender docks. Pioneer Inn Bar snd Grill. A fav breakfast place of ours.  Lahaina is fun funky place to stroll in the evening. 

On 3/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, drakes2 said:

The park is still open but operating under a modified schedule. Celebrity is not offering this tour but I found it with an independent operator. 

i will do the same cruise in September. can you tell me what tour is going to the National Volcano park.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, saphir said:

i will do the same cruise in September. can you tell me what tour is going to the National Volcano park.  Thank you.

Not sure if I can mention the name on here but they are partnered with a very large US based travel agency.  Been in business many years and never had a guest miss the ship.  Excellent reputation and are highly recommended. 

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

Lahaina pier is having work done but from what I have read we (Eclipse 4/23) are still scheduled for Lahaina not Kahului. If it is changed we will seriously consider canceling.

Someone on this board mentioned we are docking at the other port on the other side of the island also we have to do ship sponsored excursions.  I just booked a luau yesterday the first night in Lahaina and sure hope I don't have to cancel it. It will be a huge disappointment together with the fact Celebrity is not offering Road to Hana either.   The rep I spoke to said this is not true. 

As others have said, renting a car in Hilo is pretty simple, and the drive to Volcanoes National Park is pretty easy. In fact, with an overnight, you can drive a lot of the island, Hilo and Kona sides.

If you're going to Kilauea, do it as early in the morning as you can. The trade winds tend to blow in later morning and the clouds start covering the top of the volcano. It's clear back in the valley, usually, but it can be pretty amazing how fast everything disappears!

And big ditto on the poncho. "Liquid sunshine" is a frequent occurrence throughout the islands...

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:23 AM, drakes2 said:

I will be on an 11 night cruise to Hawaii next month on the Eclipse departing from Vancouver, Canada.  As the first 5 days are sea days wondering if the Solarium pool will be warm enough to swim in before getting to Hawaii?  

It's heated to bath water temp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

As others have said, renting a car in Hilo is pretty simple, and the drive to Volcanoes National Park is pretty easy. In fact, with an overnight, you can drive a lot of the island, Hilo and Kona sides.

If you're going to Kilauea, do it as early in the morning as you can. The trade winds tend to blow in later morning and the clouds start covering the top of the volcano. It's clear back in the valley, usually, but it can be pretty amazing how fast everything disappears!

And big ditto on the poncho. "Liquid sunshine" is a frequent occurrence throughout the islands...

One of the top highlights of a Hawaii cruise is doing a self drive trip from Hilo to Volcanoes National Park and doing the Chain of Craters Road drive to the very end of the Island. I've done this three times from a cruise port stop and it never gets old. Just stunning natural beauty all around.

The other MUST DO is driving to a Black Sand Beach and seeing the wondrous Giant Turtles. 

We did both and it wasn't an issue timewise even accounting for renting and returning the car on a Hilo port stop that lasted from 9am-6PM.

IMG_20191002_140001.jpg

IMG_20191002_114514.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mauimary said:

Lahaina is perfectly situated for renting cars or taking taxi or shuttle out to Whalers Village.  Kaanapali Beach has the best promenade for just strolling or taking in a restaurant.  Very nice beach too.  Lahaina has a number of fun restaurants including one right across from where the tender docks. Pioneer Inn Bar and Grill. A fav breakfast place of ours.  Lahaina is fun funky place to stroll in the evening. 

An alternative to renting a car from a car rental agency when tendering to Lahaina ( The car rental offices are a bit away from the downtown Lahaina dock) is to rent via Turo. That's what we did the last time we tendered into Lahaina. There was someone renting through Turo that was just a few blocks walk from the tender port. It worked out we and saved alot of time and hassle instead of going to the major car rental offices, which we have also done in the past. 

Edited by kwokpot

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Someone on this board mentioned we are docking at the other port on the other side of the island also we have to do ship sponsored excursions.  I just booked a luau yesterday the first night in Lahaina and sure hope I don't have to cancel it. It will be a huge disappointment together with the fact Celebrity is not offering Road to Hana either.   The rep I spoke to said this is not true. 

There is construction at the Harbor in Lahaina but we are still on the schedule https://hawaii.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Lahaina - Maui 

Covid restrictions are schedule to go away, so I cant think of any reason that we would be limited to ship excursions.

• Thanks 2