Small Cutbacks Noticed

tawlaw1526

1 hour ago, WAvoyager said:

But is anyone paying more these days to go on a cruise?  They’ve practically been giving them away to get the industry restarted.  One things are more stable, we’ll see what cutbacks have returned.

Close in pricing is very low, but the cruise I have booked for next year is at the highest per day rate I have ever paid (and is not with the Plus package).

As you say, we will need to see what, if any, cutbacks are restored, but I expect the answer will be very few of them.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 12:05 PM, Louby-Lou said:

We noticed the same on Regal in September.  I miss the 'always available' steak in the DR and was surprised that baked potatoes are no longer available in the buffet (I like one at lunchtime with salad).  When I asked for one in the buffet I was told (by one of the chefs) that they don't do them but 'it would be a good idea'. I pointed out that this was the first Princess ship I had been on that didn't have them and the chef just shrugged his shoulders and walked off!

2 nights ago they had a "cowboy steak" AT dinner. It wasn't bad. 

Last night it was 3 small slices of flank steak which was pretty good. Small but good. The waiter realized it & offered to get a second plate which wasn't really necessary. 

53 minutes ago, caribill said:

Close in pricing is very low, but the cruise I have booked for next year is at the highest per day rate I have ever paid (and is not with the Plus package).

As you say, we will need to see what, if any, cutbacks are restored, but I expect the answer will be very few of them.

I hope not - otherwise, I think Princess will have a really hard time competing with the other premium lines.  

given all of the challenges, while I’m disappointed with the reports of thin steaks, and limited beef options, it won’t prevent me from continuing booking with Princess … for now.  I think things like this are the new normal for the next 6-12 months.  But if it goes beyond that, and is limited to Princess, I know I’ll be looking elsewhere.

7 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I agree that the debate part is healthy. The mocking not so much.

It's a sign of the times. There's so much fighting over nonsense these days, and not just about cruising. It makes me sad.

Some of the complaints do make my eyes roll, but I try never to mock someone's personal proclivities. We all have preferences that would make others think, "*****?"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

That's a very rational take.  The only part that I believe you left out is that if their prices (albeit for close in sailings) remain crazy low while others have jacked them up, I'm assuming that you'll be seriously looking at Princess as well, if not solely.

Possibly.  But I personally don’t target budget to standard travel options very often.  Especially for cruises, I’m really only interested in premium products, and I’m willing to accept the cost trade off.

if Princess were to cut in room amenities, but maintain higher quality food and common facilities, I would be fine with that.  But cutbacks in the ships, food, or service would move me away - regardless of price.

“Crazy low” might be an exception, but there are cruise lines I won’t even look at because their focus is on low fares.  I only have so many vacation days available - not worth saving a few bucks and missing out on the premium experiences on those vacation days I do get to use.  (For me only - everyone has different values, wants, needs)

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

That's a very rational take.  The only part that I believe you left out is that if their prices (albeit for close in sailings) remain crazy low while others have jacked them up, I'm assuming that you'll be seriously looking at Princess as well, if not solely.

Bottom line is how bad before a cruise gets so bad you won't go even if free

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

Possibly.  But I personally don’t target budget to standard travel options very often.  Especially for cruises, I’m really only interested in premium products, and I’m willing to accept the cost trade off.

if Princess were to cut in room amenities, but maintain higher quality food and common facilities, I would be fine with that.  But cutbacks in the ships, food, or service would move me away - regardless of price.

“Crazy low” might be an exception, but there are cruise lines I won’t even look at because their focus is on low fares.  I only have so many vacation days available - not worth saving a few bucks and missing out on the premium experiences on those vacation days I do get to use.  (For me only - everyone has different values, wants, needs)

Once you bring premium product  as a benchmark you have to start comparing at the higher cabin levels.

For cruises this is suite class etc. whatever that is called on the line

or higher end ships.

Princess is not premium product at entry level cabins it's mass market

3 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Once you bring premium product  as a benchmark you have to start comparing at the higher cabin levels.

or higher end ships.

Even booking an inside cabin, you still get the same food, use the same pools, etc. so I’m not sure I agree.  (Pre-pandemic, I wouldn’t have considered Princess in an inside cabin to be the same as Costa cruises for example).

Definitely, Princess isn’t Crystal or Cunard, but they’ve always aimed towards more of the premium end and not the budget end of the scale.

40 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

Even booking an inside cabin, you still get the same food, use the same pools, etc. so I’m not sure I agree.  (Pre-pandemic, I wouldn’t have considered Princess in an inside cabin to be the same as Costa cruises for example).

Definitely, Princess isn’t Crystal or Cunard, but they’ve always aimed towards more of the premium end and not the budget end of the scale.

Crystal and Cunard are not in the same category

Princess has not been premium, stuck mid range alongside RCI NCL Celebrity MSC P&O... on value just different market/demographic.

Most lines now distinguish between cabin grades with on ship product.

You don't get the same food or spaces if in suites where the premium product starts.

1 hour ago, youngkona said:

The robe option is missing from mine. I traveled in Nov. and it was there but for my upcoming July cruise it is not: image.thumb.png.c4a12f9ce72559851d28975a0b5a2ce6.png

It really doesn't matter. Just ask your steward for a robe. I never ask for one because they usually seem to be made to fit people smaller than me. They would be fine for the Filipino crew members but not so much for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Thrak said:

It really doesn't matter. Just ask your steward for a robe. I never ask for one because they usually seem to be made to fit people smaller than me. They would be fine for the Filipino crew members but not so much for me.

If you get one before it has been through the laundry, it will be plenty large. 🙃

6 hours ago, insidecabin said:

or higher end ships.

In my opinion, Princess is absolutely not a Premium product.  The food is terrible and they seem to cut corners everywhere.  

7 hours ago, WAvoyager said:

Definitely, since Princess is still in business and Crystal went bankrupt and out of business last month.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, caribill said:

Definitely, since Princess is still in business and Crystal went bankrupt and out of business last month.

Yes, but they really established themselves as a standard for luxury cruises, so I thought people would understand the intent of my comment.  Not sure I understand yours?

Crystal didn’t go out of business because of their ships, service or reputation.  They were just the victim of stupid (highly leveraged expansion plans, and not enough contingency planning)

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

Perhaps. I have never seen one that hadn't been through the laundry. As a "person of girth" no robes I have seen would work for me.

• Like 1

The robes never work for me because they are too big--and heavy.  I'm not that tiny, but they seem to swallow me, like I can't even lift my arms!  I never order them--my DH has probably never worn a robe in his life--and if already in  the cabin I request they be removed.  

Aren't we all differnt?!

9 hours ago, WAvoyager said:

Crystal didn’t go out of business because of their ships, service or reputation.  They were just the victim of stupid (highly leveraged expansion plans, and not enough contingency planning)

More so the actions of their parent and not the company (Crystal) themselves. Genting Hong Kong went bankrupt.

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, Coral said:

More so the actions of their parent and not the company (Crystal) themselves. Genting Hong Kong went bankrupt.

Yes, I wasn’t saying they went out of business as a result of actions specifically at Crystal, just responding to the thought you couldn’t use Crystal as a benchmark because they were out of business.

Genting HK was too focused on an industry which was impacted by the pandemic, and they were too highly leveraged.  Bad combination when you have to try to ride out a multi-year impact to tourism and an even worse impact to cruising.

4 minutes ago, WAvoyager said:

Yes, I wasn’t saying they went out of business as a result of actions specifically at Crystal, just responding to the thought you couldn’t use Crystal as a benchmark because they were out of business.

Genting HK was too focused on an industry which was impacted by the pandemic, and they were too highly leveraged.  Bad combination when you have to try to ride out a multi-year impact to tourism and an even worse impact to cruising.

I LOVED Crystal. I was planning on sailing 2x this year (one river, one ocean)..... Some of the best food I have ever had EVER was on my river cruise with them. Service simply amazing.

Edited by Coral

Interesting comments . Downgrades wise I'm leaning to the much ado about nothing especially in these times . Service on land hasn't been great and by and large they didn't go through a complete shut down like the cruise industry did . Some will whine that since they are paying $ they shouldn't notice any changes .x  All in, my upcoming cruise is a surprising bargain . I wish housing, restaurants, service pros and pretty much everything else had kept prices and availability like this beleaguered industry has . None of the comments I have read particularly concern me especially Princess vs the competition .

x Not referring to OP

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Discovery Princess inaugural cruise.  We definitely noticed cutbacks; some we didn't care, others we did.

We were fine with the once a day room cleaning; we often tell our steward no nightly turn down anyway.  I did notice no bar soap; I'm not a body wash person, but managed.  

The most noticeable cutbacks were in food quality and quantity.  This is something that probably we disliked the most.  No beef at all one night.  No longer a steak on the anytime side of the menu.  Portions definitely smaller, although this I personally don't mind, as by the time I get to the main course, I'm pretty full.  No baked potatoes, even on prime rib night.  

The prime rib was pathetic.  We did come late (8:50) and they realized how awful our 1/4" well done dried out prime rib was and really attempted to make it better.  The waiter, head waiter, etc. all came over, concerned.  At that point we were pretty full anyway and didn't care.

Lobsters were laughably small and tasteless.  No seconds offered, but that was ok since they were awful.   No roll basket on the table, offered one and one pat of butter.  They would give you more if asked.

Buffet food was good to pretty bad.  No more freshly made waffles, etc.  One quarter of a soft waffle, obviously warmed up.  Little variety and few special dishes.  I enjoyed the International Cafe more, and after a few attempts ate little at the buffet, except for breakfast.-

Service overall was excellent, although there were not enough servers in the buffet.  If you cannot serve yourself, there should be more than 2 or 3 people behind the counter.  Drink service in the buffet was really bad the first day--I saw several people quite angry, and we waited quite a while ourselves--but it did improve as the cruise went on.

Entertainment was spotty and mediocre.  Some of the singers who performed around the ship were good.  Only one production show, Rock Opera, which was great, but I expect two shows.  Covid related? on the cast?  Other acts were ok, but that's it.

I loved not getting all the advertisements in our room!  The Medallion worked fine, although we didn't use it much as we seldom order anything.  It was handy for getting into the room and off and on the ship.  

Surprisingly little to no extra events for the inaugural cruise, unless we missed something.  Boarding was chaotic.  Check in fast and easy, waiting for the shuttles to take us to the other dock was long and trying.  I think they finally ordered extra buses and then it speeded up a lot.

It was a good but not fantastic cruise.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We just got off the Discovery Princess inaugural cruise.  We definitely noticed cutbacks; some we didn't care, others we did.

Thank you for an extensive review . Your points are well observed . I'd mention that , as you noted , it was the inaugural cruise . If there is no improvement after a couple more cruise, that would be reason for concern .

• Like 2