Federal government to end pre-arrival COVID testing for travellers entering Canada

koolforkatz

18 minutes ago, broberts said:

I contest the characterization of "small number". Pretty much anyone over 70; cancer patients undergoing chemo, radiation and other therapies; and a host of other health conditions that don't otherwise require isolation from society.

I don't have a solution. What is needed is a rational discussion of what should be done. Simply writing these people off because we want to get on with our lives is to my mind selfish. So to is paying lip service to their situation by suggesting it's only a few people or that they deserve extra TLC.

Given how easily spread Omicron is (almost as bad as measles) there's really not much you can do for people at risk other than tell them to take the precautions needed to protect themselves. I'm not unsympathetic to their plight but I just don't know what you expect. The majority of Canadians are well protected with vaccines and can go on with their lives. If you're suggesting that we should keep travel restrictions in place, I think you need to actually look at the science at how ineffective they really were. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, NWT Cruiser said:

Bebe08 - Ironically we just cancelled a cruise out of FLL and replaced it with an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver.  

I'm also doing an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver on May 28th.  Are either of you doing the 14 night Princess cruise on the "Royal" ship?  

Frances (NWT Cruiser)

We are doing a 7 night Celebrity cruise.

34 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

Not to belabour this but what is the solution? The science and the professionals in the Public Health domaine have taken us this far and now have green lighted the opening up of society. Short of cocooning ourselves for years to come, I am not sure what you are expecting of Govt or society. The economy has to function or we will be compounding our problems. 

Yes, as they have done several times before, only to be slapped down when hit with the next wave. Right now, we are witnessing the possible beginning of new wave in Europe, but North Americans continue to clamour for greater relaxation of the rules, even though events in Europe throughout the pandemic have been excellent predictors of future events here. So let's continue opening up, but with caution.

As I've said previously, I think that the majority of Canadians agree on what needs to be done; it's over the pace of change where the difference of opinion lies. There are those who would throw all precautions to the wind and pretend that the pandemic is over, while there are others who would be happy continuing with the precautions that existed at the height of the worst phases of COVID. Fortunately, both provincial and federal governments have taken a measured approach throughout, moving a bit too quickly for some and a bit to slowly for others, but generally meeting the approval of Canadians IMO.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, as they have done several times before, only to be slapped down when hit with the next wave. Right now, we are witnessing the possible beginning of new wave in Europe, but North Americans continue to clamour for greater relaxation of the rules, even though events in Europe throughout the pandemic have been excellent predictors of future events here. So let's continue opening up, but with caution.

As I've said previously, I think that the majority of Canadians agree on what needs to be done; it's over the pace of change where the difference of opinion lies. There are those who would throw all precautions to the wind and pretend that the pandemic is over, while there are others who would be happy continuing with the precautions that existed at the height of the worst phases of COVID. Fortunately, both provincial and federal governments have taken a measured approach throughout, moving a bit too quickly for some and a bit to slowly for others, but generally meeting the approval of Canadians IMO.

I know what you are saying but if we cant continue with 90% vaxxed (in BC) how do we continue?
Are you suggesting that they are bowing to pressure?

I dont like to look at stats from other countries unless they are fully disclosed. For example the surge in Hong Kong is due to a vaxx rate of just 22%. Europe I have no clue what their vaxx rates are.  
I do know that when I contracted Covid it was extremely mild, like a light. cold. I also recognize that it is not the same for everyone, but vaxxed persons have way milder symptoms. I believe in masking and also vaxx passports. I have no issue with either and I will continue to mask in high traffic areas. This is what I meant by taking personal responsibility to help mitigate whatever you can.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

I know what you are saying but if we cant continue with 90% vaxxed (in BC) how do we continue?
Are you suggesting that they are bowing to pressure?

I dont like to look at stats from other countries unless they are fully disclosed. For example the surge in Hong Kong is due to a vaxx rate of just 22%. Europe I have no clue what their vaxx rates are.  
I do know that when I contracted Covid it was extremely mild, like a light. cold. I also recognize that it is not the same for everyone, but vaxxed persons have way milder symptoms. I believe in masking and also vaxx passports. I have no issue with either and I will continue to mask in high traffic areas. This is what I meant by taking personal responsibility to help mitigate whatever you can.

For better or worse in our complex Canadian system of federal, provincial and territorial division of powers and jurisdictions, the feds have a say in who enters the country and under what conditions. Consequently, the legislation governing entry is applied equally across the country. Whether or not this is right is open for debate, but that's a political issue and not one to be discussed on Cruise Critic.

If BC vaccination numbers are ahead of locations elsewhere in Canada, be thankful that your risk is lower than in those other regions. In the mean time, be patient as other jurisdictions try to catch up. And keep up the good work with your personal steps for mitigation, and example of what we should all be doing IMO.

• Like 2

Just a comment my problem with the quarantining is with the length of time to quarantine. Here in canada no one is required to quarantine 10 days. Is the suggestion that when you get covid in another country it is worse? I find the policy borderline racist.

22 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Just a comment my problem with the quarantining is with the length of time to quarantine. Here in canada no one is required to quarantine 10 days. Is the suggestion that when you get covid in another country it is worse? I find the policy borderline racist.

What are you talking about?

20 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Quarantine provisions for those entering Canada are federally determined and do not in all cases call for a period of 10 days. Quarantine provisions for Canadians who catch COVID with no travel involvement - the overwhelming majority of cases - are determined at the provincial/local level. This screen grab from Ottawa Public Health shows provisions for quarantine periods of up to 20 days.

2028230325_ScreenShot2022-03-17at8_46_32PM.thumb.png.6a0a7a8a3ce4f412c4a22ffb0e2fdb15.png

Guys,

Let's not squabble about the past. As the English would say, "Make hay while the sun shines." We have the opportunity to sail again. I've 3 cruises booked this year; possible a fourth. Two out of Vancouver. 

Let's rock!

• Like 8

Not a cruising question but anyone know what the current requirements are for two fully vaxxed adults entering Canada with a four year old who is not eligible to be vaxxed? Does the child need to quarantine on arrival? Tried to google on the GOC site but that lead to many unhelpful links. TIA

35 minutes ago, dawnvip said:

Thank you for this link. Curious as it mentions pre arrival Covid testing but that’s not even required anymore. Appreciate your help! 

22 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Thank you for this link. Curious as it mentions pre arrival Covid testing but that’s not even required anymore. Appreciate your help! 

Actually, until April 1 pre arrival testing is still required. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

You have an interesting situation, the no testing rule is for fully vaccinated travelers. You are travelling with a child unable to be vaccinated. I wonder if anyone even thought about this eventuality (we are talking about the Government). I hope you get the answers you need with some official weight from the government.

45 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

You have an interesting situation, the no testing rule is for fully vaccinated travelers. You are travelling with a child unable to be vaccinated. I wonder if anyone even thought about this eventuality (we are talking about the Government). I hope you get the answers you need with some official weight from the government.

Follow the link provided by @dawnvip in post #113 to a GOC web page titled "COVID-19: Requirements for fully vaccinated travellers and unvaccinated children less than 12 years of age". 

Some people appear to have a Pavlovian-like negative response to government endeavors.

Just now, broberts said:

Follow the link provided by @dawnvip in post #113 to a GOC web page titled "COVID-19: Requirements for fully vaccinated travellers and unvaccinated children less than 12 years of age". 

Some people appear to have a Pavlovian-like negative response to government endeavors.

Not my problem just my 2 cents on someone else's problem. I really don't have a horse in this race.

There seem to be several people on this board who have a Pavlovian-like need to post sarcastic responses and replies. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Not my problem just my 2 cents on someone else's problem. I really don't have a horse in this race.

There seem to be several people on this board who have a Pavlovian-like need to post sarcastic responses and replies. 

?

• Like 1

I just wanted to add i noticed while booking shore excursions on royal caribbean it says if you have an unvaccinated child you can only go on royal caribbean excursions if you want to go ashore.

Edited by latebuyer

On 3/20/2022 at 12:31 AM, broberts said:

I did follow the link as well as some additional reading and looks like we’ll be ok. As long as the child is unable to be vaccinated and is traveling with fully vaxxed adults then she’s ok without arrival testing. Thanks everyone for the links and suggestions. 

• Like 3