Nassau for first time - recommendations, please!

joyandjerry

Walk to Fish Fry. It's a local area with mini restaurants and food trucks selling beer and seafood. Get some conch fritters and a local beer. It's about a 20 minute walk along the water or a five minute ride on the #10 bus. Very reasonably priced.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

Thanks so much to all for your suggestions! We try to be independent whenever possible. Rather than stay on the ship, I would like to see what an area has, as I cruise for the ports. As far as aggressive vendors go, they can't be any worse than Colombia! 🙂

No one is worse than the vendors/peddlars in Cartagena.   

Here is a place I found to be very interesting and my family will be going here in a couple days as our cruise on Anthem leaves on Sunday March 20th.  

https://cliftonheritage.net/about-park/

We are excited to explore the park, learn about the history as well as snorkeling to see some underground artwork along with a plane from James Bond Movie and a boat from Jaws movie. 

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

oh my yes I do agree.  I got in their face sort of yelled and a couple police walked over and just glared at me.

Our tour guide never tried to step in and help.  I mean we paid for a tour and they interrupted during the guide's talk.  If they had left us alone until the guide was done talking, some would have bought more.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mets123 said:

Walk to Fish Fry. It's a local area with mini restaurants and food trucks selling beer and seafood. Get some conch fritters and a local beer. It's about a 20 minute walk along the water or a five minute ride on the #10 bus. Very reasonably priced.

I looked at a map - is that on Bay Street, past Junkanoo Beach? Sounds interesting.

8 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

After at least six cancelled cruises, we are to sail 25 March on Enchantment, and one of the ports is Nassau. The reviews I have read have been mixed. We enjoy active excursions, not shopping, and like to see historical structures and natural beauty. I have a walking tour from GPS My City, but many comment the area is not safe. Walking and exploring are fave activities, and I would like to see Queen's Staircase and the Parliament Buildings, etc. Blue Lagoon was mentioned, as was Pearl Island (prefer less commotion). But we have done dolphins/stingrays, etc. at other ports. Also, we are not "lay on the beach" types, and wonder if Pearl Island is worth it after visiting Coco Cay the same cruise.

Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Stay on the ship!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

Thanks so much to all for your suggestions! We try to be independent whenever possible. Rather than stay on the ship, I would like to see what an area has, as I cruise for the ports. As far as aggressive vendors go, they can't be any worse than Colombia! 🙂

By the way the pier in NAssau is undergoing some remodeling so unless it’s finished by now you will see a lot of construction. 

Thanks ever so much to all for the help! I should have specified that "stay on the ship" is not really what I was asking. I wouldn't want to miss an oppportunity to see a new place. So many said that about Freeport, also. We had a great time there twice. One must get away from the port area. The first time with a tour/dolphin experience and the second with a kayak tour through the mangroves.

In Cartagena, our fabulous (private) tour guide, Dora got rid of pesky sellers in a hurry. They seemed to know her and stayed away.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Marie51 said:

By the way the pier in NAssau is undergoing some remodeling so unless it’s finished by now you will see a lot of construction. 

far from finished but i do like that they moved the vehicle lane to the one side so no worries about hitting people. 

I, too, have never been to Nassau and appreciate the recommendations.  For those who recommend just staying on the ship, I wish that you would have explained why you feel that way.  If I choose to walk around the port on my own, what specific historical/entertaining sites are within walking distance--I am active and not afraid to walk around?

On 3/18/2022 at 6:40 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Here is a place I found to be very interesting and my family will be going here in a couple days as our cruise on Anthem leaves on Sunday March 20th.  

https://cliftonheritage.net/about-park/

We are excited to explore the park, learn about the history as well as snorkeling to see some underground artwork along with a plane from James Bond Movie and a boat from Jaws movie. 

We're going to be visiting Clifton in May! It looks absolutely lovely, and if you book through the park, they pick you up at the terminal, drive you to the park (which is on the other end of the island), give you lunch and a tour, and give you time to snorkel or explore. Lots of history about the settlement of the Bahamas and a beautiful sculpture garden. It's quite affordable, too.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:55 PM, peanut head said:

For those who recommend just staying on the ship, I wish that you would have explained why you feel that way.  

Because back in the day when most people visited Nassau for the first time you either went to the Straw Market or Atlantis.  The Straw Market can be full of annoying vendors and Atlantis can be very expensive.  Both of these areas can be very off-putting to people and leave a sour taste in their mouths when you compare Nassau to other ports of call.

2 hours ago, mehitabel74 said:

We're going to be visiting Clifton in May! It looks absolutely lovely, and if you book through the park, they pick you up at the terminal, drive you to the park (which is on the other end of the island), give you lunch and a tour, and give you time to snorkel or explore. Lots of history about the settlement of the Bahamas and a beautiful sculpture garden. It's quite affordable, too.

Yes, we are booked to go there this Thursday.   They are picking us up at the British colonial hilton.

I'll let you know how it goes, we are excited😃

Just left Nassau on Saturday. Had a great laid back day. Got off the ship and walked towards Senor Frogs and up the hill to McDonalds. My daughter had to have some nuggies.. Got food and headed up the hill to the John Watlings Distillery. The pina Colado drinks were amazing.  Bought a couple of bottles to take back home. Walked downhill and stopped at several stores on Bay Street, the straw market, and Senor Frogs. Never felt unsafe at all!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Letting all the haters and those who helped me know we enjoyed our visit last week, which was perfectly safe. Walked on our own to Parliament House, Queen's Staircase, churches, Bay street, Straw Market, Pirates Museum, Fort Fincastle and stopped and talked to many helpful, friendly locals that are very proud. (The church organist was a dentist who unlocked it and gave us a tour!) When one gets away from the touristy areas, it is much more enjoyable.  Approach anyone well dressed and they are eager to help.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, SNJCruisers said:

There's a brand new Margaritaville resort that offers day passes.  You can get them bare bones or including credit for food/drink.  I would research them directly as well as through third party vendors.

Saw a YouTube video from Parodeejay when they were there and the place looks nice, especially the lazy river.

When I contacted them directly via email they directed me to the resortpass site to buy passes. 
I’m not sure if you can get the food included pass anymore. 

i bought though resort pass and we very much enjoyed our visit there. 

On 3/18/2022 at 10:14 PM, Marie51 said:

it is not. 

On 3/18/2022 at 9:14 PM, Marie51 said:

it is not. (Comment by 1kaper)

1kaper, I was there a week ago today and there is indeed a lot of construction about the pier area. It does not impede the walk from the pier. The workers have a huge area torn out. They stated they are building a convention center, hotel and restaurant.

Edited by joyandjerry
add quote

On 3/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, SNJCruisers said:

There's a brand new Margaritaville resort that offers day passes.  You can get them bare bones or including credit for food/drink.  I would research them directly as well as through third party vendors.

Saw a YouTube video from Parodeejay when they were there and the place looks nice, especially the lazy river.

Can you book directly from their website? I don't see an option.

2 hours ago, sthrnbll said:

Can you book directly from their website? I don't see an option.

I emailed the hotel to ask and was told to book through Resort Pass.  I did with no issues.