Main Dining Room Since Covid...What Changes To Expect?

We have been on several cruises, but haven't been since pre-Covid. We always dine each evening in the MDR...always the early seating...and was wondering exactly what has changed since Covid. Do they still sit strangers together at the tables, or keep everyone separate? I assume the staff will all be wearing mask...has that changed the atmosphere and the fun of the MDR? Can everyone still group together at the doors, waiting to be allowed in? Any replies about these questions, or info about any other new changes will be very much appreciated!

1 hour ago, hillbillycruisers said:

We have been on several cruises, but haven't been since pre-Covid. We always dine each evening in the MDR...always the early seating...and was wondering exactly what has changed since Covid. Do they still sit strangers together at the tables, or keep everyone separate? I assume the staff will all be wearing mask...has that changed the atmosphere and the fun of the MDR? Can everyone still group together at the doors, waiting to be allowed in? Any replies about these questions, or info about any other new changes will be very much appreciated!

Yes, everyone still groups together.  You can use the Hub or ask for a paper menu

Anytime dining is the best. I think rcl should take lessons. Click the button you are ready when you are outside the door and almost right away you get a table number you show and walk in and someone shows you to your table. There is a button to slide if you want to share a table, but mixed results. Dinner not always others who want to share. Lunch better luck. 

• Like 1

Since March 1st no mask required for guests indoors. Staff still all wear them. People still wait outside to be seated. If you have your time dining they let you know when your table is ready and you walk straight in. Not sure when you are cruising but we were on the Vista last week and each meal took close to 2 hours. Yours may be quicker if you have early dining and if they have added more staff.

I think you will find it very much the same as before.  Our most recent cruise was about 4 weeks ago, and people were still wearing masks then, but that was about all that was different.  Yes, large groups still accumulate outside the dining room and staff still perform their song/dance routine in the dining room.  It's a happy/fun atmosphere.

We had YTD and the tables were as close together as always.  

Our family of 4 almost always gets put with a group at a big table. It doesn’t go over well with the 2 introverts in our family. We always have to go get it changed. We cruised last month and this time they had us at a private table all to ourselves.  I noticed almost everyone was at tables with just their immediate family. There were lots of tables of 4-5 people (that were obviously family) around us. I saw several tables with big groups but the way they were so loud and chatty it was obvious they were cruising together as a group. I don’t they’re putting strangers together as much as they used to. 

The groups were gathered outside waiting to get in every day. There was always a waiter at the entrance dispensing hand sanitizer to all who entered. The waiters wore masks the whole time. But it was still very lively and festive like always. We had a waiter with a beautiful voice that sang to us every evening at the end of the meal. He had the microphone and walked around singing to the whole restaurant. It was really fun. 

Be prepared to beg for bread. A server allows you to point at a full basket, puts your selection on the plate, and promptly disappears with the basket. You might need to wait for the bread to cool off completely before butter shows up. 

The breadbasket is no longer on the table, a server brings it and you make your selection (if you want two pieces ask then, they don't bring it back around). No table clothes at all even on elegant night. Menus are on the Carnival Hub App (even for the bars) but I did see paper ones so you can ask for one. The Hub App can be used to make reservations for ATD and for brunch, breakfast or lunch in the MDR and it lets you know when your table is ready. We had to mask up walking to table but it is my understanding that is now optional.

6 hours ago, trbarton said:

Can I get the same table/wait staff each night & if so how do I do that?

Thanks!

Tom😀

Yes, you just need to ask to be seated in their section. Not a problem whatsoever, may have a few extra minutes wait.

7 hours ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

Have they put the sides back on the menu yet? I much prefer mashed potatoes with my salmon (even teriyaki) than stir fry noodles.

NO they haven't (at least as of my Feb 7th cruise on Valor).  And I'm with you, that was one of my few  gripes with the dining room.  I assume you could ask your server for whatever side you wanted though, as long as it was available that evening.  

ALSO, there's a "trick" to avoid the nightly gaggle of people outside the dining room waiting to get in - get there a few minutes after the doors open.  You'll walk right in with no wait and won't miss a thing.

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Menus are on the Carnival Hub App (even for the bars) but I did see paper ones so you can ask for one. The Hub App can be used to make reservations for ATD and for brunch, breakfast or lunch in the MDR and it lets you know when your table is ready. We had to mask up walking to table but it is my understanding that is now optional.

Does the HUB app show the MDR dinner menus for each day beforehand so that one can decide if they want to eat in the MDR or go to a specialty restaurant?

We cruised in October on Freedom and November on Horizon and had no trouble with butter or bread. You can always ask for more. I started cruising in 2009 (not really that long ago) and the bread was always served by the Assistant Waiter. I requested a side of Mac n cheese and received it. 

5 minutes ago, Californian said:

Wonderful!  Will the menus be available before the cruise or do we have to wait until we are on board?

A few folks have posted menus online, but that's the only way to see them before you board.  You won't be able to access the hub app until you're on the ship.

4 hours ago, groundloop said:

NO they haven't (at least as of my Feb 7th cruise on Valor).  And I'm with you, that was one of my few  gripes with the dining room.  I assume you could ask your server for whatever side you wanted though, as long as it was available that evening.  

ALSO, there's a "trick" to avoid the nightly gaggle of people outside the dining room waiting to get in - get there a few minutes after the doors open.  You'll walk right in with no wait and won't miss a thing.

I wish they would bring the sides back. They are kind of foolproof. If they have any of the potato varieties on nights where I end up with the fish or the steak I will survive. 

The bread is always tricky for my group because we all always want the same one and there are usually only 2 per variety in the basket. We’re used to having to ask for more sunflowers or cranberry bread.

1 minute ago, trbarton said:

Does Carnival allow you to pick your dinning room prior to your cruise or is it pre-arranged by Carnival before you arrive?

Tom😀

Your dining room is assigned to you when completing your booking.

On the Carnival Panorama in January our table for 2 was only about 4" from the next table for 2.  Basically it was like having a long table for 8 with 4 small tables so close together you nearly bumped elbows with your neighbor.  The wait staff had to walk around the perimeter to serve you as there was not enough space in between.  Fortunately we were on one of the ends but still we felt very cramped. Our experience on the HAL Koningsdam in October was much more enjoyable with room for the wait staff to easily walk around all the tables in the room regardless of size.  It made for a far better dining experience.

• Like 1

We were on the Conquest this week. We had anytime dining. Each night, when the 7:00 comedy show ended, we put in our table request via the app. By the time we walked to the dining room, the table was always ready. On the last night, there was an issue with the app, so we gave our cabin number to the hostess and still didn't have a wait. We were always done with dinner before 9:00, in plenty of time for the 9:30 show.

As others have said, no bread basket or water left on the table, but there was only one night when my water glass was empty. Wait staff was masked. Few, if any, guests wore masks anywhere. The week started off with a distinct minority of people wearing them indoors (including ourselves), but hardly any were wearing by the end (again, including ourselves).

We were a party of two, seated every night at a table for two or by ourselves at a table for four. If another two top was close, it was generally empty the entire time, or the guests were finishing up as we arrived, or we were finishing as they arrived. 

Wait staff still did "show time" each night. It had been five years since our last Carnival cruise, and I was happy that the songs, with the exception of course of the final night's Leaving on a Fun Ship, had changed. 

One difference I noticed was having to order dessert at the same time as appetizers/dinner. No big deal, but we always forgot to order our coffee at the same time, so we always had to wait a few minutes for it. 

2 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

One difference I noticed was having to order dessert at the same time as appetizers/dinner. No big deal, but we always forgot to order our coffee at the same time, so we always had to wait a few minutes for it. 

Thanks very much for the info regarding YTD.  I also appreciate your reminder to order coffee.

23 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Anytime dining is the best. I think rcl should take lessons. Click the button you are ready when you are outside the door and almost right away you get a table number you show and walk in and someone shows you to your table. There is a button to slide if you want to share a table, but mixed results. Dinner not always others who want to share. Lunch better luck. 

Good for you , we love RCL second sitting. No clicking, pressing or need to be shown to table. Turn up on time your table is ready and same wait staff that learn your preferences. Table number is printed on your card .