Are most ships at or close to capacity now/ or soon??

I’ve  seen so many recent cruise videos and  on some it looks like 50% capacity. On others like at  Carnivals Sailabration he ships looked full.. 

anybody have news on this?

Wondering if my Alaska cruise will be full in July. 

Just now, ajoneen said:

Read through some of the live threads or other ship specific threads - folks provide passenger numbers in them. The trend is upward and by July it could be pretty full.

I was on Independence of the Seas last week and it was their first “full” capacity cruise.  I was told at guest services there were 3900 passengers out of 4300 capacity.  They were not staffed for that.  Service was poor and lines everywhere, especially in the Windjammer!

• Thanks 1

Was just on symphony and allure. They say full capacity by May. The passenger numbers do not matter. I would rather a full ship with full staff than what we had on Allure. We had 4000 passengers but not near as much staff to handle it. So who cares if the ship is full? When the staff can’t handle the load it is crappy 

• Like 2

On the Enchantment now and at the loyalty event they announced there were about 1200 crown and anchor members on board.  Thats almost half capacity with just that.  I havent asked how many total passengers there are on, but it feels like its pretty close to capacity (2700).

It's spring break season. March and April both have spring break passengers since the dates for spring break vary during those 2 months. 

Then, that leads into summer vacation season. 

Similar to what happened during the Christmas holiday season. 

Was on Harmony on the March 6th sailing. Captain Johnny said passenger count was 4000. Was told in the Diamond lounge passenger count was actually 3982. That was about 77% full. The problem was the crew count was only 1100 of the approximate 2300 normal crew count or less than 50%.  Many of the crew were new and not quite up to their full potential. 
the crew was not allowed of the ship and were definitely overworked. 

One person in our group became Sick the last night from what appears to be food poisoning. Several members on the FB rollcall reported similar problems. One of the families went to the doctors after disembarking and was diagnosed by a doctor as viral. Another member remarked that there were similar problems the previous week.  We did have rough seas the last night but the member in our party who was sick was not from rough seas. 

I feel the overworked short staff was contributing to the food poisoning. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stealthdog said:

On the Enchantment now and at the loyalty event they announced there were about 1200 crown and anchor members on board.  Thats almost half capacity with just that.  I havent asked how many total passengers there are on, but it feels like its pretty close to capacity (2700).

Did you feel they had staff to handle that number?  We board on Friday.  Is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day? TIA

2 hours ago, Rockn Robin said:

Was on Harmony on the March 6th sailing. Captain Johnny said passenger count was 4000. Was told in the Diamond lounge passenger count was actually 3982. That was about 77% full. The problem was the crew count was only 1100 of the approximate 2300 normal crew count or less than 50%.  Many of the crew were new and not quite up to their full potential. 
the crew was not allowed of the ship and were definitely overworked. 

One person in our group became Sick the last night from what appears to be food poisoning. Several members on the FB rollcall reported similar problems. One of the families went to the doctors after disembarking and was diagnosed by a doctor as viral. Another member remarked that there were similar problems the previous week.  We did have rough seas the last night but the member in our party who was sick was not from rough seas. 

I feel the overworked short staff was contributing to the food poisoning. 

We were on HOTS for a b2b Nov 28 and Dec 5.  First week there were 2400 onboard, second there were about 4100.  We never had any issues with food or service either week.   We're getting ready to board EN in 13 days for  20 days (b2b) and are not the least bit concerned.  No one has reported staffing issues and there were just two live reports for the 5 Mar 12-night cruise.

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Did you feel they had staff to handle that number?  We board on Friday.  Is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day? TIA

I think overall they have enough staff.  I had a late boarding time so ate lunch at home before heading to the port.  I think the MDR was open on embarkation but didnt stop by there.  Ive been eating at MDR every meal since (did Chops last night) and the service is plenty.  I tried Windjammers today because its a port day and its a hot mess in there.  I dont think its a service issue in there, but rather a space issue.  It doesnt seem big enough for the amount of passengers I saw today.

9 minutes ago, Funbobby68 said:

Anyone on navigator, we board next week curious to know what the capacity is this week 

Just off the Navigator where the capacity was 53%. Was told next week will be 2,400 and they will keep easing up to 75% over the next month.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

I think overall they have enough staff.  I had a late boarding time so ate lunch at home before heading to the port.  I think the MDR was open on embarkation but didnt stop by there.  Ive been eating at MDR every meal since (did Chops last night) and the service is plenty.  I tried Windjammers today because its a port day and its a hot mess in there.  I dont think its a service issue in there, but rather a space issue.  It doesnt seem big enough for the amount of passengers I saw today.

EN has always had that issue because when they stretched it and added cabins, they didn't increase dining space.   WJ just isn't big enough for a full ship and hasn't been since the stretch.  We pretty much avoid WJ on EN except for grabbing lunch to go.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BND said:

EN has always had that issue because when they stretched it and added cabins, they didn't increase dining space.   WJ just isn't big enough for a full ship and hasn't been since the stretch.  We pretty much avoid WJ on EN except for grabbing lunch to go.

I agree that the WJ is too small for the number of passengers after "the stretch."  Another problem area is the theatre.  

34 minutes ago, Stealthdog said:

I tried Windjammers today because its a port day and its a hot mess in there.  I dont think its a service issue in there, but rather a space issue.  It doesnt seem big enough for the amount of passengers I saw today.

If the WJ is not large enough on a port day that is not good news. It will be a zoo on embarkation. I think we will check out the MDR if we can.  We have an 11:30 time slot.

In the past both Grandeur and Enchantment would have a BBQ set up on the deck [on some sea days] to encourage sunbathers to grab lunch and eat outside.  That really helped.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

8 hours ago, ajoneen said:

I’ve  seen so many recent cruise videos and  on some it looks like 50% capacity. On others like at  Carnivals Sailabration he ships looked full.. 

Wondering if my Alaska cruise will be full in July. 

I certainly hope every ship will sail as full to capacity as possible, this industry needs and deserves it.  I for one am so sick of the "how many on board" posts, jeez get over it, does it matter.  If you want to cruise then just book and find out how many once you sail.

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I for one am so sick of the "how many on board" posts, jeez get over it, does it matter.  

Using deductive reasoning, one would conclude it does matter to some people....and that's cool.  If it doesn't matter to you, that's cool too....'jeez, get over it'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jkaczanowski said:

On Wonder right now.  We’re at about 4900 and it feels it.  With only 1 flowrider, lines for it have been ridiculous and theater was packed last night. 

Are they still social distancing loungers on the pool deck or are they all back?

5 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

As far as I know after 35 cruises with Royal, MDR has never been open for lunch on embarkation day.

• Like 1