CDC Ship Colors

Ronnieslady

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I may ask as we will be on a 18 day PC cruise next month, how many times have you been tested once you arrived at the terminal on embarkation day after, of course, providing a negative antigen/PCR test certificate upon arrival? I’ve read on other threads folks are tested at the terminal as well as 2 days afterwards. Did this happen on your cruise?

We did a B2B full transit of the Panama Canal on the Emerald Princess (January 28 - February 27) this year and had the following tests:

Jan 27 - Tested on our own prior to embarkation to meet Princess requirements

Jan 28 - Tested by Princess at the pier prior to embarkation (no charge)

Jan 30 - Tested by Princess on board required by Panama for transiting the Canal (no charge)

Feb 11 - Tested by Princess on board prior to arrival in LA on Feb 12 because we were B2B (no charge)

Feb 13 - Tested by Princess on board required by Panama for transiting the Canal (no charge)

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BabySarge said:

We did a B2B full transit of the Panama Canal on the Emerald Princess (January 28 - February 27) this year and had the following tests:

Jan 30 - Tested by Princess on board required by Panama for transiting the Canal (no charge)

Feb 11 - Tested by Princess on board prior to arrival in LA on Feb 12 because we were B2B (no charge)

Feb 13 - Tested by Princess on board required by Panama for transiting the Canal (no charge)

Hope that helps.

Thanks! It will be interesting to see how many onboard tests there will be in place the end of April. 

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! It will be interesting to see how many onboard tests there will be in place the end of April. 

I would expect that onboard testing will only be done for those who are symptomatic or doing a B2B from now on.  Even the CDC has lowered the threat level for cruising.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I would expect that onboard testing will only be done for those who are symptomatic or doing a B2B from now on.  Even the CDC has lowered the threat level for cruising.

That would be nice. Of course, what would be nicer is if they eliminated the B2B testing requirement as well. One can hope anyway …

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BabySarge said:

Hope that helps.

So was the test kit brought to you between appetizer and salad or main course and desert 🙂

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I was going to post how we were able to improve our chances for not catching C19 so we could pass the transition day test, but the details were a little lengthy. Suffice it to say we treated our strategy like a game where we would figure out how we could avoid folks in various uncomfortable settings, whether it was in the MDR or buffet, in the theater, riding in a elevator, walking from one end of a crowded ship to the other, or in a crowded tour bus.

But if anyone is interested, just let me know and I can post them.

I’m interested😊

33 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

I’m interested😊

In essence we treat moving around the ship like a game. Hey, what can I say, we're on a cruise and having fun is what it's all about, right? 😎

Dining: On our first visit to our dining room, my DW makes sure the hostess and/or maitre 'd know that if at all possible we would like an empty table next to us while dining and are also very willing to sit at the most undesirable table they have. But, in order to be able to do that, we always try to come when the dining room, especially in the evening, first opens. It's amazing how accommodating they can be when you don't care what (non-window) table you sit at.

Elevators: We're in our late 60s and are still able to use the stairs whenever feasible. But if we have to walk up 4+ flights of stairs, especially after a meal, we'll take the elevator with our masks on. Now, if either unmasked or 3 or more passengers decide to enter the elevator on an in-between floor, we get off there and walk up the rest of the way. 

Main theater: When we first board and are exploring the ship, we head to the main theater and develop a strategy as to where we will sit using knowledge from past cruises if possible. On a Celebrity ship, the theaters have 3-4 levels and have a U-shaped design, so it's pretty easy to develop multiple out-of-the-way seating options. Now, on a Princess ship, their theater seating takes a little more creative thinking. But, of course, that's all part of the game to make adjustments when necessary.

Downtime: We always get a balcony and try to determine which cabin location will produce the most shade during the cruise, especially in the afternoon. Hanging out with a bunch of people near the pool is just not something we would do. 

Excursions: If at all possible we sit in the back of the tour bus while most folks like to sit more towards the front and, of course, we wear our mask at all times while on the bus.

Reducing stress by walking in underutilized spaces: When we first get on the ship, we also check out where the entrances to the promenade walkways are and use them, when necessary, in a crowded situation when we need to get from one end of the ship to another. If not an option, we will use the nearby stairs, walk up a flight or two, and then walk through a cabin hallway to get to the other end of the ship.

But, most importantly, we treat it like a game as we've enjoyed not getting sick on/or after a cruise for many years now. Of course, we also have no desire to mess up our cruise by getting quarantined, either by getting C19 or being traced, as we usually are on B2B cruises that are at least 2-3+ weeks long.

The bottom line is that it's up to YOU to keep yourself safe and not worry about the variety of personalities that will be on the ship cruising with you and what they will do. If they catch C19, that's their problem, not ours. We did everything we could to avoid other passengers whenever possible on the ship or while on an excursion. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 4

@Ken the cruiserexcellent ideas. We play the same game. 95 masks only now. We stopped doing group excursions after Princess packed us shoulder to shoulder in the theater while we waited to get taken to board the bus last December. 

The Ruby is having Covid problems right now due to the relaxed protocols.  

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Ken the cruiserexcellent ideas. We play the same game. 95 masks only now. We stopped doing group excursions after Princess packed us shoulder to shoulder in the theater while we waited to get taken to board the bus last December. 

The Ruby is having Covid problems right now due to the relaxed protocols.  

That would definitely be annoying!

I've always been amazed when there were norovirus outbreaks in the past that made the CDC list or the news.  It was always something like 10% of passengers and 2% of crew which is interesting when you think about how the crew works long hours in a high stress environment, lives in closer quarters, and some end up partying quite a bit - all of these things that you could argue would have an impact on one's immune system, yet they didn't get sick in the same rates as the passengers.

I asked a bartender one time about it, we had a good chat and hypothesized that it might be because the crew is on average younger than the average passenger, but what really stood out is what he said next.  He mentioned how management drills into the crew's normal procedures frequent handwashing opportunities (obviously sick crew members is bad for business and costs the cruise lines more), and sadly, he also mentioned how often he would notice passengers coming and going from the public restrooms very quickly, so quickly that they either didn't wash hands, or barely rinsed them.  He had trouble understanding why people would spend so much money on a cruise, and "risk" getting sick by taking a shortcut that takes an extra maybe 3 minutes total out of someone's day.  

Obviously C19 is more easily spread by respiratory droplets than noro is, but I suppose if someone coughs down when you are walking by them and it gets on your hands, if you wipe your mouth/nose/eyes it could be trouble.

I love the game idea above - cruising now its not too hard of a game since the ships aren't sailing full, but I'm sure it will get much harder in the coming months.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 5:55 AM, BabySarge said:

Hope that helps.

Grand to Hawaii:  March 10

Testing 2 days before.  No testing at embarkation.  No testing on the way (Safe Travels).  No testing after leaving Hawaii.  No testing returning to LA.  I would have welcomed any testing on board.  

I did test myself before getting off to visit family in Honolulu with my own kit.  Negative.  I was negative for in Transit to next voyage.  

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:55 AM, Daniel A said:

Orange now means .3% (three tenths of one percent) of passengers and crew have tested positive.  In the case of the Grand as an example, the ship has a capacity of 3750 passengers and crew.  In the current climate, let's assume only 1600 passengers and 900 crew totaling 2500 souls are aboard.  In order to get to orange status, 8 people testing positive out of that 2500 would trigger a raise from green to orange.  If the transmission rate aboard is sustained or other factors are present, then the ship would go to red.  Another way the ship would go from green to orange is if the ship submits its daily covid report late.  CDC then punishes the ship by coding it as orange even if there were no covid cases reported in the delayed report.

The new chart is below:

cdc-color-status-1.jpg

I checked before my recent cruise to Hawaii.  The color changed on March 4 and continues (today).   The total number of passengers on my voyage was 1983 plus crew.  @Daniel Ais correct that maybe 8-10 crew and passengers may have tested positive.

Yes, most passengers in the Princess Theater were unmasked.  Yes, elevators are starting to be crowded with no social distancing.  It didn't help that we had so many sea days with no where to go.

But, I am thankful to be on the Grand Princess that is slightly smaller than her sister ships.  The crew is amazing.  Cleaners are out an about all the time.  Sanitizing between theater events.  Walking up and down the Piazza stairs.  I tried to walk through the buffet (one end to the other) and was asked to stop and wash my hands.  The buffet and Elite lounge is not self serve.  

No matter where you go, you will find those that are still cautious and those who do not think about anybody but themselves.  

I tested negative as an in-transit passenger.  I was cautious.  I avoided the crowds.  I felt safe (not safer).  I feel for the passenger on the Ruby who caught COVID after being so diligent.  I am not a risk taker, but enjoy cruising.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

In essence we treat moving around the ship like a game. Hey, what can I say, we're on a cruise and having fun is what it's all about, right? 😎

Dining: On our first visit to our dining room, my DW makes sure the hostess and/or maitre 'd know that if at all possible we would like an empty table next to us while dining and are also very willing to sit at the most undesirable table they have. But, in order to be able to do that, we always try to come when the dining room, especially in the evening, first opens. It's amazing how accommodating they can be when you don't care what (non-window) table you sit at.

Elevators: We're in our late 60s and are still able to use the stairs whenever feasible. But if we have to walk up 4+ flights of stairs, especially after a meal, we'll take the elevator with our masks on. Now, if either unmasked or 3 or more passengers decide to enter the elevator on an in-between floor, we get off there and walk up the rest of the way. 

Main theater: When we first board and are exploring the ship, we head to the main theater and develop a strategy as to where we will sit using knowledge from past cruises if possible. On a Celebrity ship, the theaters have 3-4 levels and have a U-shaped design, so it's pretty easy to develop multiple out-of-the-way seating options. Now, on a Princess ship, their theater seating takes a little more creative thinking. But, of course, that's all part of the game to make adjustments when necessary.

Downtime: We always get a balcony and try to determine which cabin location will produce the most shade during the cruise, especially in the afternoon. Hanging out with a bunch of people near the pool is just not something we would do. 

Excursions: If at all possible we sit in the back of the tour bus while most folks like to sit more towards the front and, of course, we wear our mask at all times while on the bus.

Reducing stress by walking in underutilized spaces: When we first get on the ship, we also check out where the entrances to the promenade walkways are and use them, when necessary, in a crowded situation when we need to get from one end of the ship to another. If not an option, we will use the nearby stairs, walk up a flight or two, and then walk through a cabin hallway to get to the other end of the ship.

But, most importantly, we treat it like a game as we've enjoyed not getting sick on/or after a cruise for many years now. Of course, we also have no desire to mess up our cruise by getting quarantined, either by getting C19 or being traced, as we usually are on B2B cruises that are at least 2-3+ weeks long.

The bottom line is that it's up to YOU to keep yourself safe and not worry about the variety of personalities that will be on the ship cruising with you and what they will do. If they catch C19, that's their problem, not ours. We did everything we could to avoid other passengers whenever possible on the ship or while on an excursion. 

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas. We follow many of them, and we have one more…never hold onto the bannister when going up or down the stairs unless absolutely necessary!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, travellingnana said:

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas. We follow many of them, and we have one more…never hold onto the bannister when going up or down the stairs unless absolutely necessary!

That’s a great idea & I will bring medical gloves for going up & down the stairs. I will throw them away when I get to where I’m going, then put on a new pair for going back to my cabin.  Since I need to hold on when taking the stairs @ my age. With all that glove changing I might feel like I’m back @ work.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Grand to Hawaii:  March 10

Testing 2 days before.  No testing at embarkation.  No testing on the way (Safe Travels).  No testing after leaving Hawaii.  No testing returning to LA.  I would have welcomed any testing on board.  

I did test myself before getting off to visit family in Honolulu with my own kit.  Negative.  I was negative for in Transit to next voyage.  

Well, you fared better than I did. After starting to feel a little iffy on the flight home, I woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat and tested positive.   I was frustrated with the lack of testing, masks and distancing on our cruise. And I know from speaking with a passenger who had been quarantined that 20+ isolation cabins were in use.  Regarding the Hawaiian ambassador, Rowena, yes, she is a very sweet lady but getting in each other's personal space is not appropriate right now. I went to her hula classes and she encouraged us to aloha each other at the beginning of each class by hugging one another. No thanks!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pompeii said:

Well, you fared better than I did. After starting to feel a little iffy on the flight home, I woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat and tested positive.   I was frustrated with the lack of testing, masks and distancing on our cruise. And I know from speaking with a passenger who had been quarantined that 20+ isolation cabins were in use.  Regarding the Hawaiian ambassador, Rowena, yes, she is a very sweet lady but getting in each other's personal space is not appropriate right now. I went to her hula classes and she encouraged us to aloha each other at the beginning of each class by hugging one another. No thanks!  

i totally agree with you.  Lack of masking around the ship was a big concern of mine. I stopped going to Brian and Rowena’s events. 

I am so sorry that you tested positive. Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Hawaii’s daily average was 87.  It is my belief that embarkation testing would have prevented a spread among passengers (verses picking it up while in the islands).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pompeii said:

I’m so sorry to hear you tested positive.  I was on the same cruise  and stopped going to Rowena’s events. Super nice lady filled with aloha - and it was supremely uncomfortable to me that she kept trying to hug me after hugging dozens of unmasked people while she was unmasked too. 

I still don’t feel 100% (minor headache and throat) and plan to take another at home test tomorrow or Tuesday to be sure since the first one was negative. But if I got it - I think her events could have been to blame as I never took off my mask - even in the dining room.  I gave up on soup but managed to eat everything else with the mask on.  

Wishing you a speedy recovery to get well soon! 

Edited by CACruiser1973
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

i totally agree with you.  Lack of masking around the ship was a big concern of mine. I stopped going to Brian and Rowena’s events. 

I am so sorry that you tested positive. Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Hawaii’s daily average was 87.  It is my belief that embarkation testing would have prevented a spread among passengers (verses picking it up while in the islands).

1 hour ago, CACruiser1973 said:

I’m so sorry to hear you tested positive.  I was on the same cruise  and stopped going to Rowena’s events. Super nice lady filled with aloha - and it was supremely uncomfortable to me that she kept trying to hug me after hugging dozens of unmasked people while she was unmasked too. 

I still don’t feel 100% (minor headache and throat) and plan to take another at home test tomorrow or Tuesday to be sure since the first one was negative. But if I got it - I think her events could have been to blame as I never took off my mask - even in the dining room.  I gave up on soup but managed to eat everything else with the mask on.  

Wishing you a speedy recovery to get well soon! 

Thanks to you both for the well wishes. I'm not feeling too badly but my new symptom this morning was a backache. Some Tylenol helped with that. CACruiser, I would definitely test again if you want to be sure because there are many false results due to testing too early in the infection. I wondered about that since I tested kind of early but my second red line was dark and solid and showed up quickly so there wasn't any doubt.   I'm sure you know this, but be sure to circle the swab firmly several times against the nasal walls. I think a lot of false negatives are due to people just twirling the swab in their nostril without realizing they need to get cells from the walls of their nose to have an accurate result. 

I mainly just want to get out of isolation in my own home. I've been banished to the bedroom since I live with other family members. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1