Blogging from the Ruby Princess

PescadoAmarillo

10 hours ago, Joy_K said:

I had my 2nd negative test this morning and was also released.  Today was day 10 for husband and since he tested still positive on day 5 was released today too.  Glad to hear G got out.  Like him, my medallion would not open my cabin so had to get a new one made.  I asked at front desk about and restrictions for me now and they said none, I was free to return to dining room.  I have had a call about FCC being applied to our next cruise and receipt being emailed and told we would get a letter from medical tonight about testing for the next 90 days.

Fantastic news!  I've been wondering how you were doing as we haven't heard anything from you lately.  If you can and have the energy to do so it would be helpful to know if the requests you made of staff while in isolation were fulfilled in a reasonable timeframe and anything more you would be willing to share.  I sure hope that you can enjoy what's left of your cruise and will fill us in on how things are going onboard.  If you don't, I certainly understand.  You definitely deserve to relax and enjoy the remaining days of your cruise.

J, I hope that your test is negative.  Great news that G is now negative and able to resume the cruise.  I really do hope that he will weigh in about his experiences in isolation as you've said that he's been reading this thread.  You've shared a couple of snippets of things that have happened to him but I hope that he will share more about his time in "lockdown" and how things are going now.

Likewise I would encourage anyone else onboard to weigh in.  There are a lot of us longtime cruisers with cruises coming up and reading about your experiences will help all of us assess our personal risks.  Hoping more will come out about the causes of this outbreak be it a sudden (and hopefully short-lasting) surge that they were unprepared for, short staffing, etc. but we cannot count on that.  All that we have are the reports of those onboard and the more posts we have from those onboard - both good and bad - the more we will be able to make an informed decision about our own future plans.

Again, many thanks to Joy_K, Pescado Amarillo, and Optotronics for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

Fantastic news!  I've been wondering how you were doing as we haven't heard anything from you lately.  If you can and have the energy to do so it would be helpful to know if the requests you made of staff while in isolation were fulfilled in a reasonable timeframe and anything more you would be willing to share.  I sure hope that you can enjoy what's left of your cruise and will fill us in on how things are going onboard.  If you don't, I certainly understand.  You definitely deserve to relax and enjoy the remaining days of your cruise.

J, I hope that your test is negative.  Great news that G is now negative and able to resume the cruise.  I really do hope that he will weigh in about his experiences in isolation as you've said that he's been reading this thread.  You've shared a couple of snippets of things that have happened to him but I hope that he will share more about his time in "lockdown" and how things are going now.

Likewise I would encourage anyone else onboard to weigh in.  There are a lot of us longtime cruisers with cruises coming up and reading about your experiences will help all of us assess our personal risks.  Hoping more will come out about the causes of this outbreak be it a sudden (and hopefully short-lasting) surge that they were unprepared for, short staffing, etc. but we cannot count on that.  All that we have are the reports of those onboard and the more posts we have from those onboard - both good and bad - the more we will be able to make an informed decision about our own future plans.

Again, many thanks to Joy_K, Pescado Amarillo, and Optotronics for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

Excellent post @azbirdmom

Hopefully others on the sailing could let us know what the experiences are like on the ship for those who weren’t affected by Covid as well as what isolation was like for others who were.  Have they canceled events for instance.  

G please let us know how the rest of your sailing ended up compared to your first 45 days.  That would probably be eye opening for those who debating whether or not to cancel their Ruby sailing.  

@PescadoAmarilloI hope you are feeling better today and that your tests come back negative.  

@Joy_Kglad you are out and about and covid free.  Thanks for letting us know.  Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise and would love to hear what changes you see to the rest of your sailing compared to your last.  

And thanks to those on board who have contributed to this live from thread and are giving your experiences.  CC is more than not a place for us to get more information that from Princess itself

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bmc alabama said:

I think that one thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that Princess over the past couple of weeks has had a good number of their ships on 10+ day itineraries.  The PC cruises, the transatlantics, etc.  It seems as these are where you are seeing these reports.  I think that it is definitely happening on other ships, but people aren't getting symptoms until they get off the ship, especially on 3-5 night cruises.

There were definitely people on our March Mardi Gras cruise that were fine on the ship, but reported coming down with COVID a few days after the trip.  On a sidetone, it seems as though a number of people came down with Influenza A, so don't forget about that either...

I have wondered about this as well, many (not all) of the reports of Covid I have read online have been with the longer 10+ day cruises and in some cases people doing b2b (or more). And I suspect some ports/excursions might introduce more risk than others. Of course there are no doubt cases and  asymptomatic people on the shorter cruises and those who test positive only when they return home. I have been on a 10 night and a 5 night recently in the Carribean and was not concerned. A bit more concerned for Alaska in May due to the long flight on the front end and having to test negative on the back end to fly home from YVR. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Joy_K said:

I had my 2nd negative test this morning and was also released.  Today was day 10 for husband and since he tested still positive on day 5 was released today too.  Glad to hear G got out.  Like him, my medallion would not open my cabin so had to get a new one made.  I asked at front desk about and restrictions for me now and they said none, I was free to return to dining room.  I have had a call about FCC being applied to our next cruise and receipt being emailed and told we would get a letter from medical tonight about testing for the next 90 days.

Joy, so glad to hear you’ve been freed. I think pretty much everyone else has been, too. (I’m highly skeptical, for reasons I won’t go into right now). While I’m glad that you are not restricted in any way, I find it hugely irritating. The senior doctor definitely told us that G would not be allowed to eat outside the cabin for ten days. That, and the difficulty I was having getting meals delivered played a huge role in incenting me to leave. It also states that same thing in writing on the CDC website. Now, nothing. No restrictions. You all can be running around without masks if you want, and dining at large tables. God speed. 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. You certainly deserve to. And good luck to everyone still on the Ruby Princess. 

I just received my PCR test results from yesterday and I am negative. I guess I have a garden variety LRI picked up…who knows where? Except for food deliveries in the cabin, trips to the medical center to be tested (all with KN95 masks, and flying home (with an N95 mask changed midway), I’ve been around no one. I will continue to stay at home as long as I feel unwell, but won’t feel bound by any day limit. Hopefully I’ll be up and around sometime soon. 

With nothing else to report (at least not until my husband is home safe and well. THEN I might come back to dish a bit), I’m signing off now. Thanks to those who offered such compassionate support. I wish you a safe and healthy future (but can’t recommend you spend it on a cruise ship!). 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Joy, so glad to hear you’ve been freed. I think pretty much everyone else has been, too. (I’m highly skeptical, for reasons I won’t go into right now). While I’m glad that you are not restricted in any way, I find it hugely irritating. The senior doctor definitely told us that G would not be allowed to eat outside the cabin for ten days. That, and the difficulty I was having getting meals delivered played a huge role in incenting me to leave. It also states that same thing in writing on the CDC website. Now, nothing. No restrictions. You all can be running around without masks if you want, and dining at large tables. God speed. 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. You certainly deserve to. And good luck to everyone still on the Ruby Princess. 

I just received my PCR test results from yesterday and I am negative. I guess I have a garden variety LRI picked up…who knows where? Except for food deliveries in the cabin, trips to the medical center to be tested (all with KN95 masks, and flying home (with an N95 mask changed midway), I’ve been around no one. I will continue to stay at home as long as I feel unwell, but won’t feel bound by any day limit. Hopefully I’ll be up and around sometime soon. 

With nothing else to report (at least not until my husband is home safe and well. THEN I might come back to dish a bit), I’m signing off now. Thanks to those who offered such compassionate support. I wish you a safe and healthy future (but can’t recommend you spend it on a cruise ship!). 

🥺🙏🏻

• Like 1

Our host cjskids asks…

• Hopefully others on the sailing could let us know what the experiences are like on the ship for those who weren’t affected by Covid as well as what isolation was like for others who were.  Have they canceled events for instance.  

Writing live from the Explorers Lounge aboard the Ruby.  All is very, very normal   No events cancelled or changed. No covid or health protocols changed. 

Observationally, some mask all the time and some mask in congested areas.  The sign at the elevators says Princess “suggests” you mask in the elevators.  There have been no Princess written or PA comments received to ask for heightened practices.  

I too stood in the 2 hour embarkation line, and everyone I saw was masked.  YMMV. 

Edited by tcdcruiser
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This is the group I stood behind the entire time. None of them were masked. 

0460F5F6-7373-4AFE-B442-1E1BDD121BFA.jpeg

Yikes!  I'd be in an almost panic mode if I had been there.  Fortunately it was outside, but it would still cause me to stand back quite a bit from the crowds, and ask those behind me to back up.  

Glad you tested negative, though.  One less thing to worry about.  Hope you recover from you cold soon. 

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Here’s another view. 

But it was outdoors.  Any breeze since near the water?  (Glad to read earlier you were negative even if feeling under the weather).  When does G's voyage end?  Is/was there another leg?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

0460F5F6-7373-4AFE-B442-1E1BDD121BFA.jpeg

Yikes!  I preferred our cruise on the Ruby in January (Mexico) when everyone (but one or two) were masked whenever they left their cabins.  (and through the entire embarkation)

Edited by CruisinMinnie

Last year we were scheduled for 40+ days of B2Bs and canceled.  One of the reasons is before final payment, it was unknown what was going on with covid AND our friend from St. Thomas called out of the blue to say he strongly advised we do not cruise as many of the people in the islands, St. T and surrounding, do not believe in getting the jab and he was worried about us going because of DH in the high risk category.  Our doctor concurred.  

So, it may be coming from that?  I don't know.  But the new Deltracron as they are calling it is more contagious they say.  

I guess I don't understand all the confinement if there are no symptoms.  It is no different than the flu when people before covid were hacking all over and sick and running all over the place.  Will it be like this forever?  What about just people who are really sick from the covid in isolation?  I just feel terrible for all who have been in lockdown with no real symptoms and have ruined their vacation.  Truth be told, there were many more who were positive, just not tested at the right time.  Think about it...most of those people have come off the plane and been sitting in airports, and taking cabs, etc. etc. Truly after 3 days, they probably would be tested then.  

I was so excited about going on our 50 day trip in January and now I am totally depressed as I don't want to be stuck in quarantine and without being by my husband, who has no idea what meds he takes!!!!  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I just received my PCR test results from yesterday and I am negative.

After disembarking Ruby on March 27 and getting home to find my husband was positive for Covid-19, I had all kinds of Covid symptoms, from coughing to congestion to headache and difficulty breathing on and on.  But once I tested negative several days in a row the symptoms went away.  I now wonder if they were psychosomatic because I was so stressed out about him having Covid and worried that I and my family at home might get it.  Hopefully, now that your PCR test came back negative, the stress will be relieved and your symptoms will lessen.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cvpends said:

After disembarking Ruby on March 27 and getting home to find my husband was positive for Covid-19, I had all kinds of Covid symptoms, from coughing to congestion to headache and difficulty breathing on and on.  But once I tested negative several days in a row the symptoms went away.  I now wonder if they were psychosomatic because I was so stressed out about him having Covid and worried that I and my family at home might get it.  Hopefully, now that your PCR test came back negative, the stress will be relieved and your symptoms will lessen.  

When my brother tested positive in January, I had similar symptoms that ended up being psychosomatic. Went through quite a few tests that week to reassure myself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I would find this hugely distressing, mainly because you largely based your  rather expensive decision to leave the ship on the advice you were given by Princess.  

To find out now that this advice was incorrect, or would not be followed, and that within a few days both you and G would have been be free to enjoy (?) the rest of your cruise is upsetting.  

But having said that, it is probably a big relief to both you and G to have you safe at home given your medical issues.   

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Marjan1 said:

I would find this hugely distressing, mainly because you largely based your  rather expensive decision to leave the ship on the advice you were given by Princess.  

To find out now that this advice was incorrect, or would not be followed, and that within a few days both you and G would have been be free to enjoy (?) the rest of your cruise is upsetting.  

But having said that, it is probably a big relief to both you and G to have you safe at home given your medical issues.   

It’s maddening. And did I only catch it because I was flying home?  I’m trying not to think about it. I fear my head will explode. 

You’re right…they have suddenly jettisoned everything we were told (ie most people still test positive after 6 days and so are in for 10, no meals outside cabin if you do get out before 10 days). It seems nearly everyone got released without restrictions. If they don’t test everyone on board en route to Ensenada, I believe that means they’ve given up. If they do, it would have made sense to clear out the rooms for the next batch of positives. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cvpends said:

Mine aren’t psychosomatic (I can barely talk without coughing) but I am seeing some improvement over Sunday. Of course I’m relieved he is out from all that, and the inconsistencies in service. 

After I received my results today, I phoned Mom and told her I was home. That was an interesting conversation. 😆

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

After I received my results today, I phoned Mom and told her I was home. That was an interesting conversation. 😆

Wow! I wish I could have listened on that conversation!  😳

I bet your mum gave you grief for not letting her know what was actually going on!!  💞🇦🇺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

Our host cjskids asks…

• Hopefully others on the sailing could let us know what the experiences are like on the ship for those who weren’t affected by Covid as well as what isolation was like for others who were.  Have they canceled events for instance.  

Writing live from the Explorers Lounge aboard the Ruby.  All is very, very normal   No events cancelled or changed. No covid or health protocols changed. 

Observationally, some mask all the time and some mask in congested areas.  The sign at the elevators says Princess “suggests” you mask in the elevators.  There have been no Princess written or PA comments received to ask for heightened practices.  

I too stood in the 2 hour embarkation line, and everyone I saw was masked.  YMMV. 

Thank you foe taking the time to post. 

Hope you have enjoyed the cruise so far. 

On the first time Princess cruiser, got COVID thread, a list of FAQs that people in isolation received was posted (thank you!). My husband received nothing like that. He just sent me the total of what he has received so far in writing. We have learned more by reading the letter from the Majestic Princess than we previously knew. 

42844518-3762-44A2-A10A-1F2452072BD5.jpeg

1602E740-5BDD-4970-8D52-6E59AD8BC4A1.jpeg

BE5F1D12-8B38-4A09-8D20-F43870788FA5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Dear Pescado:  Just reading your story is enough to produce nightmares.  I just returned from a 10 nights on the Grand to Mexico and had I known about your experience with the Covid protocols, I certainly would have canceled.  My SO was already packed and he canceled the cruise because of another poster's story.  I had a pleasant experience but then again I stayed away from people, had a table for one and wore my mask religiously.  

Grateful to you for sharing and wishing you and your hubby good health and enjoyable experiences in the future.

• Like 3