Blogging from the Ruby Princess

PescadoAmarillo

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Is anyone who tested positive or had a spouse who tested positive, giving Princess feedback as to covid protocol inconsistencies? Thanks

When my husband gets safely home I will be sending a few thoughts 😉 to them. 

Someone above asked about the crew who tested positive (I think meaning the ones we are aware of). Our cabin steward is still not working. DH saw someone just down the hall (his same section) being moved to quarantine two days ago. This person must have self reported, as no ship-wide testing has been done. This is the second cruise where they’ve stopped doing mid-cruise testing (15 day cruises) and I believe it’s because it’s best for them if they remain unaware of how widespread COVID is. I think they’re just trying to hold on until the shorter, upcoming cruises where they can get people off the ship before they realize they’ve contracted COVID. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

😉 This is the second cruise where they’ve stopped doing mid-cruise testing (15 day cruises) and I believe it’s because it’s best for them if they remain unaware of how widespread COVID is. I think they’re just trying to hold on until the shorter, upcoming cruises where they can get people off the ship before they realize they’ve contract

This is a very logical conclusion - to remain unaware. If they keep testing, the ship color will become red on these long cruises.

• Like 2

I was very surprised that Princess stopped embarkation testing AND 2 days into cruise testing on my Hawaii 15 day cruise.  I am glad I brought my own tests on board prior to visiting family in Honolulu and disembarking 25 days later.  It does seem as though Princess would rather keep their head in the sand.  I had a good time on the cruise ship but would be very leary about cruising now.  Too many factors are impacting quality of cruising.

Wishing J and G, and Joy, and everyone else that was caught up in this fiasco a speedy recovery.  I would like to think Princess will reach out to all of you and make things right.  I know, wishingful thinking.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s really scary.  😦 

Sorry don't mean to scare you.  We just have to recognize the system as what it is.  No system is perfect no matter how good intention the design is.

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was very surprised that Princess stopped embarkation testing AND 2 days into cruise testing on my Hawaii 15 day cruise.  I am glad I brought my own tests on board prior to visiting family in Honolulu and disembarking 25 days later.  It does seem as though Princess would rather keep their head in the sand.  I had a good time on the cruise ship but would be very leary about cruising now.  Too many factors are impacting quality of cruising.

Wishing J and G, and Joy, and everyone else that was caught up in this fiasco a speedy recovery.  I would like to think Princess will reach out to all of you and make things right.  I know, wishingful thinking.

I think any mass market line would have done the same on longer cruises, (i.e. go easy on testing and contact tracing), not just Princess.

Edited by ebeluga
  • Like 2

Just now, ebeluga said:

Sorry don't mean to scare you.  We just have to recognize the system as what it is.  No system is perfect no matter how good intention the design is.

I understand. It’s still scary though!  😳

So, if they don’t test mid cruise, we could really be spreading it.  Those with symptoms, would get quarantined, I guess.  

35 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

This is a very logical conclusion - to remain unaware. If they keep testing, the ship color will become red on these long cruises.

And they do have to report the cases they find through testing.  Which means, they may not be able to go into a port if there are high numbers.  So, all the more reason not to test. 
Interesting…. 🧐 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

I think any mass market line would have done the same on longer cruises, (i.e. go easy on testing and contact tracing), not just Princess.

True…unless it’s a requirement by the next port visited. 

1 hour ago, ebeluga said:

I think it would be much better to

1) know before passengers board and

2) know what you’re dealing with partially through the long sailings

rather than have to cope with an outbreak where there’s not enough staff to handle the situation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, syesmar said:

I think it would be much better to

1) know before passengers board and

2) know what you’re dealing with partially through the long sailings

rather than have to cope with an outbreak where there’s not enough staff to handle the situation.

Ah, logic and common sense.   You know they’d never try that old fashioned idea!

• Like 4

I have been dying to go on a cruise, but after reading yours and G’s

experiences as well as the other recent experiences of pax, it feels too risky to cruise right now. We have decided to take a nonstop flight to Hawaii and enjoy open-air dining, beach time, and balcony time. It’s not risk-free but still feels safer than cruising for now.  When things improve, I’ll happily board a Princess ship once again, though. 

I’m glad G was asymptomatic and really hope you heal soon! 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

When my husband gets safely home I will be sending a few thoughts 😉 to them. 

Someone above asked about the crew who tested positive (I think meaning the ones we are aware of). Our cabin steward is still not working. DH saw someone just down the hall (his same section) being moved to quarantine two days ago. This person must have self reported, as no ship-wide testing has been done. This is the second cruise where they’ve stopped doing mid-cruise testing (15 day cruises) and I believe it’s because it’s best for them if they remain unaware of how widespread COVID is. I think they’re just trying to hold on until the shorter, upcoming cruises where they can get people off the ship before they realize they’ve contracted COVID. 

FYI - another passenger on this sailing just posted a similar story to G's on the rollcall. Seems things in isolation have not improved much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

FYI - another passenger on this sailing just posted a similar story to G's on the rollcall. Seems things in isolation have not improved much.

Thank you for that. Here is the link to what he is saying. Apparently my “perception” 😉 is a shared one. This sounds sadly familiar. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Leaked photo of Princess executives deciding whether or not to test onboard:

image.png.e35f6af4c46bdeeee0d15ad69dcb3991.png

😉

As I always say - Princess = consistently inconsistent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pamster said:

On FB someone on Discovery B2B reported that their between cruise instructions say nothing about being tested. No testing, no cases, no quarantine, I guess. 

I find all of this so sad and disrespectful of passenger safety (if true)

Edited by AZjohn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pamster said:

On FB someone on Discovery B2B reported that their between cruise instructions say nothing about being tested. No testing, no cases, no quarantine, I guess. 

1 hour ago, AZjohn said:

I find all of this so sad and disrespectful of passenger safety (if true)

We boarded Discovery on 3/27 and on the afternoon of the day before turnaround day on 4/3 all in-transit passengers were tested. I would be very surprised if it would be any different tomorrow for anyone who is in-transit for the next cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

We boarded Discovery on 3/27 and on the afternoon of the day before turnaround day on 4/3 all in-transit passengers were tested. I would be very surprised if it would be any different tomorrow for anyone who is in-transit for the next cruise.

Yes.  Thanks for the true info!

• Like 1

Another current report from the Ruby Princess (this time from Facebook). 

We are on the Ruby Princess in quarantine. We wore our masks, were very careful about hand sanitizing, kept our distance and still got Covid. It is difficult to get food, service, answers. The phone rings and rings and no one picks up. We no longer have symptoms but have to remain in quarantine until the end of the cruise and then 3 days on land. We have 39 more days booked later this year. We are cancelling them all.

***update: I just opened our door to put out our garbage. There are now trays at the inside cabins, meaning all 139 balcony cabins are full and they are using inside cabins for isolation. I feel horrible for those people. At least we have fresh air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

I’m surprised by the inconsistent treatment of quarantined passengers by different ships.  Ruby experience (thinking primarily about communication and food delivery) seems vastly inferior to Other Princess ships commented upon in various CC threads.  Wondering if it’s the ships leadership, or if Ruby has been hit with a higher number of quarantined people that has stretched their system too thin.  

Edited by LoriPhil

24 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

I’m surprised by the inconsistent treatment of quarantined passengers by different ships.  Ruby experience (thinking primarily about communication and food delivery) seems vastly inferior to Other Princess ships commented upon in various CC threads.  Wondering if it’s the ships leadership, or if Ruby has been hit with a higher number of quarantined people that has stretched their system too thin.  

This is a report from the Caribbean Princess the cruise before the cancelled cruise and dry dock. she is replying to the lady with the report from the Ruby Princess (above). I am reading similar stories from the Sky also.  I really think it’s largely dependent on the length of the cruise. 

We were in a similar situation last week on  our ship things got so bad they were using two floors as quarantine and yes all our inside cabins were also filled but those where crew members 2 to a room. I actually would say hello to them when putting out our trays. We have been in isolation for 6 days now in a hotel so excited to be flying home tomorrow afternoon! Being in quarantine when the ship has lots of COVID is not fun as the room service is overworked and they tend to bring many meals at the same time so the trays can stack up making the meal cold by the time they head upstairs with them. I don’t fault Princess and it’s hard to blame the passengers walking around with this new variant spreading it as it usually presents itself with mild symptoms many shaking it off as allergies or a slight cold. It was horrible being in quarantine having to try getting food from room service for over 3 hours once where trying to order lunch ran into ordering dinner instead. I understand you not wanting to travel until this new variant gets under control they say it’s the most spreadable one to date.  I am so sorry you lost your vacation to this, try and stay positive…

• Thanks 1