they already raised our gratuities 😡

Traveller20074

Thank you for the heads-up.  I just checked our POA cruise and I do see they raised our gratuities $82.   I do not think they raised them on our two Bermuda cruises we have also booked.  I will be calling NCL.

1 hour ago, Diane67B said:

Do you know if the extra money goes right to the staff? I wouldn’t mind, if it did. They deserve it. 

Agree, but raising the fares would result in 100% of the passengers paying the money toward the staff, this will only get a proportion of that.  People willing to pay the daily gratuity wind up subdidizing those who don't.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Traveller20074 said:

on the NCL Pride of America cruise for November.  it shows as $16.60 / per person per day.   heads up.  better check yours 

Daily Service Charge increases are effective April 1, 2022. You may be able to pre-pay at the old rate. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vince_g said:

sorry but CC replaced my link with a tiny little bit of text from the thread I was attempting to link you to...

That's what it's supposed to do.  If you click on the thread title that you embedded it takes you to that whole thread.

• Like 1

I called and he said it was the Hawaii tax.  I call BS because its the same amount if they charged the 16.16 gratuity.   and if its the GRATUITY, it isn't going to tips, it's going to the government.   I checked the other reservation (we have 2 groups traveling but reservations are linked)  and its also $16.16 per person per day.      

8 hours ago, vince_g said:

Isn't there some additional tax charged on POA? I think they are calling it some kind of tax. Check that out.

the gratuity is just that.  tips to the staff on the ship NOT a tax.  that would be over and above I would think.  and its such a coincidence that the tip is what the $16.16 per person per day is?  highly unlikely 

10 hours ago, jlabs03 said:

Yes, this is the gratuities for the staff.

yes, but they said if you prepay the tips ahead of time it's charged at $15.50 per day per person NOT $16.16.  They raise them April 1st to $16.16 which they are trying to charge me NOW.  I will not be prepaying my gratuities

10 hours ago, negn said:

$0.50 / day for cabins.  $1.50/day in Haven.  Don’t think that will break anyone.  Now if they add a fuel surcharge that would be something else.    

we have 7 sailing. it is a big chunk from $15.50 to $16.10  per person per day.  quite a large sum that I'm not willing to pay since they aren't supposed to go up till APRIL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From email recently received fro NCL.

As long as cruise reservation was made by March 31 and pre paid before sail date. You can keep “ old” DSC rate.

• $20.00 per person per day - The Haven & Suite
  • $18.00 per person per day - Club Balcony Suite
  • $16.00 per person per day - Balcony and below

Guests who make a reservation on or before March 31, 2022, will have the option of pre-paying their service charges at the current rate, if done prior to sail date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate are not affected

• Like 1

$16.16 = $15.50 + 4.275% tax.  You aren't getting charged the higher amount - you are getting charged the special Hawaii tax on the amount of the DSC.  If you calculate that 4.275% tax on the $15.50 DSC, you get 66 cents.  Which, when added to the $15.50, gets you to $16.16.

• Like 3