Cash currency required for Honduras and Mexico?

Hi All,

2 weeks away from our Liberty of the Seas cruise to Honduras (Roatan) and Mexico (Cozumel & Costa Maya). From what I can see online, the tourist areas we will be going to accept US dollars but can other travelers here confirm?

Either way, how much 'cash' do you usually take for stops? I'm planning on having some for tipping on shore and buying local gifts if any.

Tourist areas in both Mexico and Honduras gladly accept USD (heck, most of the pricing you see on menus and such is in USD).  If I don't have something specific in mind I want to buy, I usually carry $100 in smaller bills.  That's almost always enough for a typical half-day out.

If I blow through $100, I just use a travel credit card with no foreign transaction fees.  Always use tap-to-pay (or Apple/Google pay) if available to avoid skimmers.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1

yes.  They do take US dollars.  Fyi - don't give any bills that are torn as they will not accept for payment.  Learned the hard way in Cozumel on a land trip last year and a month ago in Honduras.  We carry 1 credit card, and about $50 to $100 for cash if on excursions.  If renting a car, $150 plus credit card.  We aren't big drinkers.  If getting a cab, find out beforehand how much cab fare is for your destination, look at AI vs PAYGO and estimate.  Hope this helps!

4 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Tourist areas in both Mexico and Honduras gladly accept USD (heck, most of the pricing you see on menus and such is in USD).  If I don't have something specific in mind I want to buy, I usually carry $100 in smaller bills.  That's almost always enough for a typical half-day out.

If I blow through $100, I just use a travel credit card with no foreign transaction fees.  Always use tap-to-pay (or Apple/Google pay) if available to avoid skimmers.

Thank you, my card is contactless so I will definitely remember that tip!

4 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

yes.  They do take US dollars.  Fyi - don't give any bills that are torn as they will not accept for payment.  Learned the hard way in Cozumel on a land trip last year and a month ago in Honduras.  We carry 1 credit card, and about $50 to $100 for cash if on excursions.  If renting a car, $150 plus credit card.  We aren't big drinkers.  If getting a cab, find out beforehand how much cab fare is for your destination, look at AI vs PAYGO and estimate.  Hope this helps!

Thanks! I'm not renting a car and like you we are not big drinkers. We have a 3yo so have to do the RCI excursions so we at least don't have to worry about cab fares!

13 minutes ago, Dragoncruiser22 said:

Thanks! I'm not renting a car and like you we are not big drinkers. We have a 3yo so have to do the RCI excursions so we at least don't have to worry about cab fares!

then I would just bring $50-$100 in cash with cc.  If you have any left over especially in Costa Maya, there's a great gelato place...😁

You can always stock up on vanilla in Costa Maya or Cozumel! 

On one Roatan trip, we stopped at a local stand for a quick bite and we paid in USD but were given change in Honduran currency. I have been trying to remember to bring back the money for years😂😂.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

well, if you are going to be on an RCI excursion, then you probably don't need more than $50-100 per location, in case you need an umbrella (if not provided), drinks, food, trinkets, tips, etc.

We don't usually need more than $200 for the 5 of us when we simply take a taxi to a beach club (not AI). In Roatan the taxi was $15 pp roundtrip, it's probably more now after the pandemic, plus $20 pp for a chaise and umbrella. If you don't need a chaise, you can plop yourself on a beach towel for free. 

Same in Costa Maya - like $3-5 pp for taxi each way and $15-20 per adult for a chaise and a drink.

They all take dollars. We've been to all three locations many times.

57 minutes ago, Dragoncruiser22 said:

Thank you, my card is contactless so I will definitely remember that tip!

I'd use cash. I never want to use my credit card outside the US, especially in a country where armed guards are guarding the gas station.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Fyi - don't give any bills that are torn as they will not accept for payment.  

Never had this issue in Cozumel.  In Roatan, they are very picky about the condition of the bills.  I have had many $20 bills turned away by vendors because they had to many folds.  Bring your best dollars, no rips/tears, folded corners, or multiple folds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

You can always stock up on vanilla in Costa Maya or Cozumel! 

On one Roatan trip, we stopped at a local stand for a quick bite and we paid in USD but were given change in Honduran currency. I have been trying to remember to bring back the money for years😂😂.

mac_tlc

One trip one of the stores in the Cozumel port gave me change in pesos. I was dumbfounded. But it was like a dollar so I shrugged and gave it to my nieces who got a kick out of it. 

• Like 2

FYI unless the people skimming credit cards in ports wait months to use them... I've honestly never had a problem using my credit card at a cruise port. I usually prefer it over worrying about the cash on hand. It's not like I'm on the hook if it's used anyways. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bstel said:

Never had this issue in Cozumel.  In Roatan, they are very picky about the condition of the bills.  I have had many $20 bills turned away by vendors because they had to many folds.  Bring your best dollars, no rips/tears, folded corners, or multiple folds.

I was on vacation in Cozumel last year and had money given back to me at the Money Bar, and 2 other spots.  Also just last month while getting ice cream after a bike ride in Cozumel when we docked there on the Symphony.  If you want to do it, go ahead.  All 4 bills were 20's so it was a PIA.  I just share info.  People can do as they please.

23 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I'd use cash. I never want to use my credit card outside the US, especially in a country where armed guards are guarding the gas station.

I travel a lot internationally for work.  Over 150 different countries.

EVERY time a card has been compromised, it has occured in the US.  EVERY TIME.

In my experience, using a credit card outside the US is safer than in the US.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, SRF said:

EVERY time a card has been compromised

I am not just talking about compromising cards... There have been stories here on cc about people who have discovered bogus charges after having alcohol (or something else) poisoning at beach clubs... but since they signed the slips - the credit card company couldn't do anything about it. This wouldn't happen if you are paying $53 in cash.

18 hours ago, smplybcause said:

One trip one of the stores in the Cozumel port gave me change in pesos. I was dumbfounded. But it was like a dollar so I shrugged and gave it to my nieces who got a kick out of it. 

It's not always followed, but it is the law in Mexico to give change in Pesos.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 3:09 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I have had fraudulent charges on my credit cards exactly twice in my life (and travel 150-200 nights most years, using crecit to pay whenever possible)....both times linked back to using the card in Florida.  

And as a woman who is often out and about on my own in various countries, I defintely feel safer keeping minimal cash on my person.  

I guess experiences vary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I travel a lot internationally for work.  Over 150 different countries.

EVERY time a card has been compromised, it has occured in the US.  EVERY TIME.

In my experience, using a credit card outside the US is safer than in the US.

your experience matches mine.

54 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I am not just talking about compromising cards... There have been stories here on cc about people who have discovered bogus charges after having alcohol (or something else) poisoning at beach clubs... but since they signed the slips - the credit card company couldn't do anything about it. This wouldn't happen if you are paying $53 in cash.

I am confused...they signed slips without looking at the amounts?  

Just now, xxHadleyxx said:

I am confused...they signed slips without looking at the amounts?  

The one I recall - the wife signed it without looking at it because her hubs was having a medical emergency (caused by whatever he drank at the beach club). Others signed the slip being out of it or simply drunk.

7 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

And as a woman who is often out and about on my own in various countries, I defintely feel safer keeping minimal cash on my person.  

you are free to do whatever makes you feel better. I simply answered a question as to what I would do.

Sometimes cards get declined for no reason at all. For years my mom's Chase Visa was declined on a weekly basis at a local public transportation kiosk. EVERY WEEK. My manager couldn't use his Amex on many occasions in Germany. Sometimes it pays to bring a bit of cash with you.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

I've never had a problem with folded money in Honduras, but even the tiniest of tears/rips will be refused because their banks will not accept them.

Anytime I'm paying in USD, I make sure to always bring plenty of small bills so I can pay in the next higher dollar amount and then just let them keep the change.  Paying $26 for something that came to $25.28 is better than paying $30 for that same order.

I also travel with cards that don't have a foreign transaction fee, and also that aren't tied to any of my automatic monthly debits, so that if a card IS compromised, it's no big deal to cancel it and get a new one.  It's a real PITA to have to change all of your automatic transactions, so I have them all go through one card and I don't use that when I travel.

• Like 1

Back to OP - Roatan will have at least one kiosk that sells carved wood.  A decent sized bowl can cost $100 or more.  Mexico is mostly trinkets and often not made locally.  But Cinco Soles is a pretty good brand of vanilla.  About $7 a pint.