Cruise out of NY

young_ens

Morning all!   Last night I found a good deal to me for a Caribbean cruise out of NY, she's on hold until I figure out a few things. 

Main reason for starting this: I'd be driving from Canada, so I'd like to hear some opinions on how cruising out of NY is.  Those who drove, where did you park (I know NY is painfully expensive land)?  Any of you park in Jersey and ferry over?  Some other option?

TIA!

We cruised out of NY once and parked right at the pier. It is a bit pricey but pretty normal for NY (I think it's $40 a night). It is also a secure parking lot so you can have peace of mind about your car being where you left it. You also don't have to worry about lugging your luggage on a ferry, or walking with it for a block or two, or loading it out of your car into a cab (or a bus). We drove from the north and got on the Henry Hudson Parkway, which takes you right to the terminal. The weather going south on the cruise will be similar to that in the north, so if you are cruising during the colder months you wouldn't start seeing warmer temps for a day and a half or so.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It is also a secure parking lot so you can have peace of mind about your car being where you left it. You also don't have to worry about lugging your luggage on a ferry, or walking with it for a block or two, or loading it out of your car into a cab (or a bus).

+ @jpurdy

Good to know it is secure.   I had those exact feelings in the second sentence, leaning me to local parking which would be nice at disembarkation. 

Follow up: Does the lot become full and I'd need plan b (or c) for parking?   How's driving in NY?   Signage good for out of towners?

Just now, young_ens said:

+ @jpurdy

Good to know it is secure.   I had those exact feelings in the second sentence, leaning me to local parking which would be nice at disembarkation. 

Follow up: Does the lot become full and I'd need plan b (or c) for parking?   How's driving in NY?   Signage good for out of towners?

I live in NYC and can tell you that signage is great, chances are you won't have any trouble finding the pier/parking at all, however be prepared for traffic and that others will be driving like they are in a video game 🙂
Seriously, if you arent used to traffic and aggressive drivers (cabs, ubers, trucks) it can be a bit intimidating.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, young_ens said:

+ @jpurdy

We sailed out of NYC a couple times. Even with the higher parking cost, it was worth it to know the car was safe, and we did not have to worry about getting a spot. Easy to get luggage to the ship, and easy when disembarking. Fun to sail past manhatten, and the statue of liberty. Add a day or two before or after to see NYC if you have not been. See the sights, go to a broadway show.

So easy, if coming from north on 95, I believe exit 1 right before going over the GW bridge, to Henry Hudson Parkway. You won’t be going fast due to traffic, so just keep in right lane when close. Once on HH, straight shot along Hudson River to port. You will see the ship and easy off with signs to parking. We get to port by 11 and have never been turned away. Just as easy to get back on 95. Good signage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, young_ens said:

+ @jpurdy

I believe there is ample parking at the pier for everyone. Since the terminal is right off the road you aren't really driving in NY, or at least it didn't feel like it. As you come down Henry Hudson you can see the ships and it's a right turn into the lot. On disembarkation you take a left turn and head north on Henry Hudson. They do have signs but the ship is a better sign.

We sailed out of NYC on our first cruise in January of 2018 and it was an amazing experience.  Both leaving and coming back in on the morning of your last day.  We did not drive though. Think of it this way… with HST you are well into thirty something a day to park at Toronto Pearson airport if you flew! 

Baltimore is another great option as it is only $15 per day and if you are a fan of the spirt class ship, it is a real bargain.

Enjoy!

Love sailing out of New York City, been doing that since 1970’s , but nothing cheap about time in New York City, but I think you should at least spend a day walking around, great restaurants, broadway plays , museums, World Trade Center museum is fantastic, but it cost nothing to walk around see the fountain at World Trade Center, visit Alexander Hamilton grave a few blocks away .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WELDON said:

Sailing on Magic in September.  Ship arrives back in Manhattan at 8 am.  What time should I book a flight out of LaGuardia?  I will use Carnival transfer to airport.

I can't say what Carnival's current practice is, but my recollection is that cruise lines typically won't allow you to use their airport transfer to LGA unless your flight departs no earlier than about 12:30 or 1 pm. You may want to ask this question on the Carnival board because someone there may be able to provide more accurate insight, although Carnival hasn't cruised from NY in over two years so no one can really have current information.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 12:10 PM, Corby114 said:

LGA is a busy airport. I wouldn’t book a return flight home before 1:00PM. Gives you plenty of time to have breakfast and be off of the ship before 9:00AM. 

Princess says LGA 6 hours after disembarking and 8 hours after for JFK and EWR airports.  

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Princess says LGA 6 hours after disembarking and 8 hours after for JFK and EWR airports.  

I believe they would be talking about ship’s scheduled arrival time rather than the time you actually disembark. 4 hours after you are ashore should work for all three airports.

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I believe they would be talking about ship’s scheduled arrival time rather than the time you actually disembark. 4 hours after you are ashore should work for all three airports.

My booking states do not book a flight from LGA until at least 6 hours after ships arrival time.  That’s what I thought we were talking about, sorry.  I am using their transfer to the arpt, so I had to adhere.

Thanks for catching  that!

I think most lines recommend something like 1:00 PM (or later) flights from NYC area airports.  While most people could make much earlier flights on most arrival days,  it makes sense to allow for A) the occasional late return to port, or B) possible delay in clearing for debarkation, or C) serious traffic snags— three variables which can impact plans.

On 3/30/2022 at 7:56 AM, young_ens said:

Morning all!   Last night I found a good deal to me for a Caribbean cruise out of NY, she's on hold until I figure out a few things. 

Main reason for starting this: I'd be driving from Canada, so I'd like to hear some opinions on how cruising out of NY is.  Those who drove, where did you park (I know NY is painfully expensive land)?  Any of you park in Jersey and ferry over?  Some other option?

TIA!

Where in Canada would you be coming from and where would you be crossing into the US?

Laura