Jim_Iain – Silhouette Live Post April 8, 21, 30 - B3B - TransAtlantic, Portugal Spain, France and the Norwegian Fjords

Jim_Iain

Thank you so much for your very informative reply…..by the way your photo are absolutely gorgeous and I admire your ability to just go with the flow!! We are going to Alaska on a B2B next week and just worried about testing positive on the 2nd leg…..I think I will be one of those CRUISERS kicking and screaming if confined to an inside room on deck 3…LOL

• Like 1

I am enjoying these pics as much as the ones from the first 2 cruises.  So glad you’ve been able to enjoy the unexpected change of plans.

The comments about Battenburg cake prompted me to find a recipe. . . Might just try it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

I am enjoying these pics as much as the ones from the first 2 cruises.  So glad you’ve been able to enjoy the unexpected change of plans.

The comments about Battenburg cake prompted me to find a recipe. . . Might just try it!

Iain said it's delicious and well worth the work.    It has been one of his favorites since he was a child and always to grab one and bring back his childhood memories.

We have had quite a busy week and and dinner were joking saying it felt like a port intensive cruise.   We decided tomorrow will be an at sea day and just relax.   Shhhh.. Don't tell him,  I already planned we are going to Winchester for lunch.    I'll let him sleep in and then just say we are going for lunch....

I've always wanted to see Winchester Cathedral.     So many of the things we have done this week I have wanted to do for years. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ok --- Really Apple Maps -   You have to start playing nicely with me instead of playing games and laughing at us.  

At everyone's suggested we set off to The Needles.   Easy enough RIGHT?  

The drive down was nice and THEN....  It told us to make a right turn and follow road to parking lot.   OK  that seems easy enough. 

The road turned to gravel an no where to turn abound until we got to the “Parking Lot”

A95665FC-B3BE-4FA7-A698-3487E836565A.thumb.jpeg.3c5cd3718bd59e371cf95cbee9959e59.jpeg

B1AAF58A-E6D9-403E-8623-6C36D14C68B6.thumb.jpeg.302b2dd5cfb1192523cbac60f68c0e8d.jpeg

4EBB41DD-B374-4A4B-A801-EB211BB7C221.thumb.jpeg.8e2927a2c0dca213a08b82149e386017.jpeg

The Parking Lot

Something similar happened to us in the mountains west of Denver a few years ago. We knew where we were going, but decided to follow Google maps just to see if would take us on an alternate route to avoid traffic. We ended up at a turnoff to a dirt road, luckily with a chain across it. Made us wonder how many unwary tourists had previously tried to drive up that road😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Iain said it's delicious and well worth the work.    It has been one of his favorites since he was a child and always to grab one and bring back his childhood memories.

👌Ask Iain how he ate it as a child. I can remember peeling the icing off and eating it after I had broken the cake up into each square. I still love eating it that way😋

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We live near an areal called Gilroy which grows about 80% of U.S. production of Garlic.   Each year they have a Garlic Festival with every garlic product including garlic ice cream.   Unfortunatly many of you may remember July 28, 2019, when a gunman opened fire on the crowd killing 3 and wounding 19. 

It has dampened the spirit of the festival ever since. 

Especially since they've cancelled it this year and maybe forever.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We live near an areal called Gilroy which grows about 80% of U.S. production of Garlic.   Each year they have a Garlic Festival with every garlic product including garlic ice cream.   Unfortunatly many of you may remember July 28, 2019, when a gunman opened fire on the crowd killing 3 and wounding 19. 

Gilroy is on my bucket list as I love to grow and eat garlic!  I remember that shooting spree.  How sad.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were in San Francisco when it happened. The next day we drove to Paso Robles for my niece’s wedding. We passed right by Gilroy. I felt so sad. We live in Orlando and the anniversary of Pulse is always a subdued week.

Fortunately, we were in Paso Robles for a very happy occasion. What a great town!

Vivien

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bama4cruisin said:

You can order it on Amazon. I’ve had better, but I still enjoy it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

At everyone's suggested we set off to The Needles.   Easy enough RIGHT?  

The drive down was nice and THEN....  It told us to make a right turn and follow road to parking lot.   OK  that seems easy enough. 

The road turned to gravel an no where to turn abound until we got to the “Parking Lot”

Jim, have you tried the Waze app.  We swear by it and it has never given us a funky route and helps avoid traffic messes.  

I’ve been following along since your journey began, always so much fun.  Katie

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have had quite a busy week and and dinner were joking saying it felt like a port intensive cruise.   We decided tomorrow will be an at sea day and just relax.   Shhhh.. Don't tell him,  I already planned we are going to Winchester for lunch.    I'll let him sleep in and then just say we are going for lunch....

I've always wanted to see Winchester Cathedral.     So many of the things we have done this week I have wanted to do for years. 

Well worth it.  Be sure to chat with the local volunteers who are lovingly caring for the place.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

've always wanted to see Winchester Cathedral.  

Me too.

We were close when we had a day to spend in Southampton, while waiting for a flight back to Manchester. We had trolly bag cases with us, as we had just got off  a 2 day repositioning cruise, Amsterdam to Southampton in 2012( took us to Elite).

We took the train to Winchester and tried to get into the Cathedral, but they wouldn’t  let us in with out bags and were not prepared to store them.😱

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Redking said:

👌Ask Iain how he ate it as a child. I can remember peeling the icing off and eating it after I had broken the cake up into each square. I still love eating it that way😋

He is one to like to get a little icing on each bite.   I'm with you.   To me the icing is the best part and must be peeled off.   LOL

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oville said:

Jim, have you tried the Waze app.  We swear by it and it has never given us a funky route and helps avoid traffic messes.  

I’ve been following along since your journey began, always so much fun.  Katie

At home I use Waze about 99% of the time.   I initially used it when we arrived but It had so many "Wazer" icons on the screen I could hardly see the route.  When I got to our flat I turned off that "feature".  

I'm on a very slow phone data with the free T-Mobile and it was often lagging so shifted to Apple Maps which I never use.   I may give it a try again now that I have shifted off some of the features. 

One thing I have liked about Apple Maps is it is really good about the instructions especially about which roundabout exit to get off. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

Jim, I so appreciate you continuing to post about your trip. I am absolutely LOVING to see your perspective both on England and life in general. My DS is at "uni" in London and COVID has definitely changed so many things that I thought were going to be able to happen over the time he has been there. My thoughts and mind are often across the pond and I'm really enjoying the visual now too. Your lens is a joy to view through. You are inspiring with your attitude. I spent several days reading your TR when it was around 67 pages, only to catch up to discover the news. How happy I am for you that your COVID was short lived and seemingly mild, virtually non-existent symptoms. What great weather you are having! 

• Like 1

I’m so pleased you are having such a good time, especially when you consider the alternative stuck in the bowels of the ship. I’m trying to make the most of our missed maiden on Beyond by having drinks in the garden but it’s just not the same! 

As a matter of interest with both your’s and Iain’s symptoms being extremely mild would you have thought you needed to call medical on board to get tested?