Insurance question please.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

No. I haven't look at the reviews for Covermore.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you entirely. If you look at any travel insurance reviews they are full of complaints and let's face it to go on a cruise without it is not on. Probably best to use whoever and not take notice of the reviews and  that is probably what I will do. I am at that age where I am lucky to get any insurance cover. I must thank you for all the advice you have given me on all the insurance and bank card topics, so helpful.

Cheers John

Just now, JohnGc said:

Don't get me wrong I agree with you entirely. If you look at any travel insurance reviews they are full of complaints and let's face it to go on a cruise without it is not on. Probably best to use whoever and not take notice of the reviews and  that is probably what I will do. I am at that age where I am lucky to get any insurance cover. I must thank you for all the advice you have given me on all the insurance and bank card topics, so helpful.

Cheers John

Thanks for your comments. 🙂

4 hours ago, Cbtours said:

They are definitely covering 80+ because I got a quote for insurance which included my 83 year old husband

Just found this On Comm Bank World debit card with Covermore insurance so now a bit confused. I will have to wait for a reply from Covermore.  " Apply for cover with our range of Upgrades if you have existing medical conditions, want to do more adventurous activities or want extras for skiing or cruising, or if you’re aged 80 or over. A premium applies. "  

In the Seniors Card Directory 2022 (NSW) Insure and Go has an advertisement Save 15%
on travel insurance Promo code:Sen22
coverage up to 100, all preex medical considered over the phone or online

car remtal excess waiver coverage in silver and gold. 1300401177 to get quote 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

In the Seniors Card Directory 2022 (NSW) Insure and Go has an advertisement Save 15%

Worth checking out

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Just tried them and the cruise icon won’t work so  looks like they are not covering cruises,,don’t fancy sitting by the phone today

Cheers Carole

49 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Just tried them and the cruise icon won’t work so  looks like they are not covering cruises,,don’t fancy sitting by the phone today

Cheers Carole

I've got to phone them on Wednesday so I'll pass on anything useful after that.

On 4/24/2022 at 2:32 PM, JohnGc said:

Very true, have you looked at the reviews on product review ?  I always read between the lines and after many years of getting reviews for anything I am interest in purchasing  Covermore reviews win the prize.

I had a claim with Covermore a few years ago. We were on a driving holiday through Europe and we were stopped in traffic due to a major car accident and couldn’t get to our prebooked hotel accomodation by nightfall. I had booked through a TA and I found out the hotel was very expensive. When I got back home I checked what Covermore required and they wanted print or electronic details of the accident. Thankfully I had purchase a local newspaper with the accident details. Covermore paid out minus the excess without any issues.

5 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

I had a claim with Covermore a few years ago. We were on a driving holiday through Europe and we were stopped in traffic due to a major car accident and couldn’t get to our prebooked hotel accomodation by nightfall. I had booked through a TA and I found out the hotel was very expensive. When I got back home I checked what Covermore required and they wanted print or electronic details of the accident. Thankfully I had purchase a local newspaper with the accident details. Covermore paid out minus the excess without any issues.

That is good to know. I wonder if it would have been difficult if you had not bought the newspaper. I would imagine trying to get evidence from Europe once home would not have been easy.

1 hour ago, JohnGc said:

That is good to know. I wonder if it would have been difficult if you had not bought the newspaper. I would imagine trying to get evidence from Europe once home would not have been easy.

Well done with newspaper evidence.  We caught the last ferry out of Alaska for the Season after returning our hire car at

night putting key in box as requested. Someone used the car for a day after we left, which we got charged for.  We had no

dated ferry ticket, so I photocopied a dated page from my diary which the car hire company accepted and cancelled extra charge 

49 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Well done with newspaper evidence.  We caught the last ferry out of Alaska for the Season after returning our hire car at

night putting key in box as requested. Someone used the car for a day after we left, which we got charged for.  We had no

dated ferry ticket, so I photocopied a dated page from my diary which the car hire company accepted and cancelled extra charge 

When we have had to leave a hire car we take photos of all sides of the vehicle to show there is no damage and photograph the location where we parked it. The photos are time stamped. Luckily we haven't had to use the photos in an argument, we we know someone who was charged a lot of money for 'damage' that they supposedly did to the hired car. They were able to claim on insurance, but that wasn't the point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

When we have had to leave a hire car we take photos of all sides of the vehicle to show there is no damage and photograph the location where we parked it. The photos are time stamped. Luckily we haven't had to use the photos in an argument, we we know someone who was charged a lot of money for 'damage' that they supposedly did to the hired car. They were able to claim on insurance, but that wasn't the point.

Good idea. There are some crooks in the car hire business. Always check fine print such as not covered for single car accident (Tas) not covered for driving between dusk and Dawn (Uluru)

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good idea. There are some crooks in the car hire business. Always check fine print such as not covered for single car accident (Tas) not covered for driving between dusk and Dawn (Uluru)

.... and not covered for driving on unsealed roads.

13 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Make sure you also photograph the fuel gauge. We had one company try to charge us for a full tank of petrol when we had just filled the tank before returning the car. We had the receipt to prove it, of course.

55 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Make sure you also photograph the fuel gauge. We had one company try to charge us for a full tank of petrol when we had just filled the tank before returning the car. We had the receipt to prove it, of course.

Wow. I never thought of that. I do write

down the final mileage details after our Alaskan experience though 

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We were also charged for fuel - more than twice the capacity of the tank - even though we had filled it only a couple of kilometres from the rental car depot. When we hired the vehicle we had to leave a blank credit card charge form with the company. It was a one way hire so we couldn't follow our usual practice of asking for the form back when we returned the car. We hadn't photographed the fuel gauge (good idea by the way) and didn't find out about the charge until we got home. It took a lot of arguing before the Australian branch of Hertz refunded the money. Maybe my winning argument was the amount of money that was charged.

My wife has had cancer treatment , it will be one year since the Chemo finished when we go on our cruise. When providing pre existing medical answers for cruise Insurance ,depending on the company they will either ( A ) decline your application for all cover if you have had cancer in the last 5 years,  ( B ) not cover you for pre=existing cancer but will for everything else, ( C ) give you the opportunity to pay extra cost to cover it. Now say you have Covid coverage, and you are allowed to be insured for all but cancer and were unlucky enough to catch covid , could they possibly decline a Covid claim by saying you have had cancer and your immune system has been compromised. Just a thought.

Edited by JohnGc

2 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

My wife has had cancer treatment , it will be one year since the Chemo finished when we go on our cruise. When providing pre existing medical answers for cruise Insurance ,depending on the company  they will either ( A ) decline your application for all cover if you have had cancer in the last 5 years,  ( B ) not cover you for pre=existing cancer but will for everything else, ( C ) give you the opportunity to pay extra cost to cover it. Now say you have Covid coverage, and you are allowed to be insured for all but cancer and were unlucky enough to catch covid , could they possibly decline a Covid  claim by saying you have had cancer and your immune system has been compromised. Just a thought.

I doubt that they could. If when you applied for the insurance you advised the history of cancer, I can't see that the insurance company could knock back a claim for something else (COVID or flu or whooping cough etc ) on the grounds that your immune system has been compromised. They would have to advise you that they would not cover claims for any infectious disease when you went through the discussions about pre-existing conditions.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I doubt that they could. If when you applied for the insurance you advised the history of cancer, I can't see that the insurance company could knock back a claim for something else (COVID or flu or whooping cough etc ) on the grounds that your immune system has been compromised. They would have to advise you that they would not cover claims for any infectious disease when you went through the discussions about pre-existing conditions.

Yes I am inclined to think that would be the case. As you can probably guess I am a bit cynical regarding insurance. After making my eyes sore going through all the PDS on different companies you realise it is a minefield of what is and what's not. Some say you do not have to declare the cancer treatment if you do not intend to claim for it, others say you must and then won't insure you at all. and others want it declared but give you the opportunity to decline or pay a fee to cover it. 

Just now, JohnGc said:

Yes I am inclined to think that would be the case. As you can probably guess I am a bit cynical regarding insurance. After making my eyes sore going through all the PDS on different companies you realise it is a minefield of what is and what's not. Some say you do not have to declare the cancer treatment if you do not intend to claim for it, others say you must and then won't insure you at all. and others want it declared but give you the opportunity to decline or pay a fee to cover it. 

It is difficult to know whether you should keep quiet about the past cancer treatment on the grounds that it isn't relevant or advise the insurer. My inclination is towards full disclosure.

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is difficult to know whether you should keep quiet about the past cancer treatment on the grounds that it isn't relevant or advise the insurer. My inclination is towards full disclosure.

If you have the big C and do not declare it, then you have a claim on something else. Insurance Co will request your medical history from your GP, then you are in strife, they can wipe you.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

If you have the big C and do not declare it, then you have a claim on something else. Insurance Co will request your medical history from your GP, then you are in strife, they can wipe you.

When they give you the option of applying for cover or not for pre existing conditions, I don't see how they could deny a claim for something that is not related to that condition, though I don't doubt that they would try and probably difficult to get a definitive answer beforehand

43 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

When they give you the option of applying for cover or not for pre existing conditions, I don't see how they could deny a claim for something that is not related to that condition, though I don't doubt that they would try and probably difficult to get a definitive answer beforehand

Crazy thing is if you had cancer and have had surgery plus treatment and declared clear you are not going to cark it on a cruise, cancer is not an overnight problem. I would like to know why the insurance companies consider it a big risk to them.