First time Princess Cruiser, Got Covid :(

maggipie

38 minutes ago, Napagirl said:

We are getting on board the Ruby in a few days and I've been reading all the threads re: those who have been quarantined to be sure we are going in with eyes wide open.

As we prepare our strategy for being reasonably "safe", I have noticed so many of those who got covid said they masked the whole time except when eating. I'm thinking to further reduce our risk, we can do the buffet and eat outdoors or order room service. 

I have also seen that in some cases, people were unable to get cough medicine - so we will be packing a small medicine bag just in case. I normally do this anyway, but I'll be sure to have anything that would be helpful for this particular virus.

My greatest of appreciation goes out to the OP and all of the others who have shared their experience which is helping the rest of us prepare. And best wishes for a speedy recovery to all.

Mucinex DM tablets. One every 12 hours. They’re easier to pack than cough syrup. Can also get the generic version, guafinisen with dextramathorphan. Target sells one under its Up and Up brand. They’re the only thing that helped my coughing for about 3 days.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

Just wondering if Princess wasn't prepared for this occurring again †o this degree and were scrambling to get the proper documentation printed and distributed on all the ships.  I would think going forward that the above letter (which seems pretty detailed) would be the norm going forward.  It is very unfortunate for those that fell through the cracks and didn't receive proper notification of what was going on.  My husband and I both tested positive within 2-5 days after returning home from a recent 10-day cruise.  We were fortunate enough that we were safely back home to isolate.  We have decided going forward no longer than 7-day cruises for us for awhile.  We both were asymptomatic with just a lingering cold after returning home, however decided to test to not infect anyone else. As others have mentioned airports can be just as bad as cruise ships if not worse.  Although masks are required, you still see many not wearing them appropriately and there are no vaccination mandates for flying.  You never know if the person sitting next to has been vaccinated or not.  We spent probably 10 hours flying on our return trip in crowded (spring break week) airports, actually 2 different for connecting flights, with hardly anywhere to sit.  There are so many variable that can play into actually getting covid, who knows for sure?

As Omicron has shown, I don't think it matters if the person next to you is vaccinated or not, they can still transmit it.  

This is why I think that for cruising, testing everyone at the port makes the most sense, even moreso than vaccination or recovery, which would provide protection against severe illness, but wouldn't necessarily affect transmission.  Making everyone test right at the port (like DCL and Virgin do) isn't foolproof either, but I think is the most effective if you are trying to minimize spread.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

As Omicron has shown, I don't think it matters if the person next to you is vaccinated or not, they can still transmit it.  

This is why I think that for cruising, testing everyone at the port makes the most sense, even moreso than vaccination or recovery, which would provide protection against severe illness, but wouldn't necessarily affect transmission.  Making everyone test right at the port (like DCL and Virgin do) isn't foolproof either, but I think is the most effective if you are trying to minimize spread.

I agree with you about testing at the port. I'm able to test on the Thursday before my Sunday cruise, that makes zero sense to me. Everywhere I go and people I'm around for those three days, I can pick it up, not know it and bring it on the ship. Testing should be done day of.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, memoak said:

In restaurants you don’t know who is vaccinated either. Hasn’t kept me from eating. I will be flying later this month and even if they lift the mask mandate on planes I will probably still wear one

Yeah I get that, I don't always wear mask in restaurants at home.  However I also don't go and spend 10 hours sitting side by side with complete strangers when I go to a restaurant.  Just saying my experience at the airport after this last cruise was bad.  We usually only fly NS, however will all these last minute flight schedule changes and short staffing we ended up with a connecting flight (never again).  I agree I will also continue to wear masks when flying for awhile as my husband flies frequently for work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Laying off employees they sure wish they had back now. That much experience and knowledge is not easily replaced, as we’re experiencing first hand. 

And...therein lies the root of a LOT of the customer service issues we are all seeing.  Well, if they at least stay with Princess they'll *eventually* get to where we need them to be!

• Like 2

@maggipie  I’m so sorry you and your family had your vacation interrupted by covid.  I hope you are feeling better.

I am wondering if your daughter is of an age where she would have spent time in the kids club?  If so, do you think she may have picked it up there?

2 hours ago, Napagirl said:

…I have noticed so many of those who got covid said they masked the whole time except when eating…

I’ve noticed this, as well. There’s even some studies that demonstrate this trend (e.g., other than indoor dining “always wore”).

All the Best! Safe travels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Mucinex DM tablets. One every 12 hours. They’re easier to pack than cough syrup. Can also get the generic version, guafinisen with dextramathorphan. Target sells one under its Up and Up brand. They’re the only thing that helped my coughing for about 3 days.  

THANK YOU. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, caribill said:

Sorry your family was affected by Covid.

One surprise to me in the letter you received is that smokers are permitted to smoke on the balcony of the quarantine cabin.

Maybe because they are unable to go to the designated smoking areas??? But that's just a really really wild assumption.... But things are kooky as it is.

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Watching $$$$$$ fly out the window?

Haven't eaten in a restaurant for 2 years.

Then you probably not cruise either. Sitting at a bar right now with a beer and pork sliders 🍔 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flipchild32 said:

Maybe because they are unable to go to the designated smoking areas??? But that's just a really really wild assumption.... But things are kooky as it is.

That's exactly why they are allowed to smoke out on the balconies of the quarantine rooms.  The crew must isolate when they first board the ship and it is rather surprising how many of the crew and staff do smoke.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

It is a bit strange, particularly if it increases the liklihood of someone catching COVID from breathing in the smoke on another nearby balcony.  On the other hand, Princess is probably thinking that smokers are going to smoke no matter what, and if you don't let them smoke on the balcony then they are going to smoke inside the quarantive cabin, and that maybe increases the fire danger (and the smell in the cabin for future occupants).

Crew, who are also in join the ship quarantine, are allowed to smoke also. 🙂

19 hours ago, STCKcruises said:

Really helpful info and all the best for a speedy recovery. Did all 4 of you have to move to the isolation cabin or just the positive one plus you by choice? Were the negative ones allowed to continue as normal?

The only one required to quarantine was my daughter, but she looked so very sad there was absolutely no way I would have let her go alone!

A word on testing, when I called down to report DD's positive test, the nurse I spoke to asked me to test myself too, but I figured Princess had a lot more antigen tests than the few we brought, so I requested she test me, which she did, but after my negative test, she did not offer to test DH and DS (all three of us were asymptomatic). The negative testing for both was with our antigen test stash. She also did not give clear instructions on what DH & DS could/could not do, so they just followed the current CDC recommendations for close contacts.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, kb4683 said:

@maggipie Sorry this happened to your family cruise.  Glad the symptoms are/were mild.

Could you please direct me to Cruise Raider’s post that you mentioned?  (Title of thread, post #, etc.)

Thank you.

Cruise Raider posted a letter addressed to guests (post #6), under "Caribbean Princess cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver for tomorrow cancelled"

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

@maggipie:  Thank you for sharing your experience.  I'll be on the Majestic in two weeks, so your experience especially hits home.  It's nice to know, for both me and your party, that you all were treated relatively well.

I have two questions, if you're feeling up to it and have time:

1. Were you ever tested again by ship personnel?  If so, did you get a confirmed positive?
  2. Has this experience put Princess on your no-go list permanently?  I know it's a snap reaction, but I've found snap reactions are often the best ones.

Thanks again and get well soon.

1. No, we were not tested again, and for the positive test that was our ticket to the quarantine cabin, the nurse did a cursory glance at our antigen test that was sitting on the desk and remarked "That is positive all right!"  Guess she thought it would be nuts for anyone to fib their way into isolation. Since we returned home, we've both had a PCR test for official confirmation, should we need it the next 90 days.

2. No, we're still good with Princess! If Eclipse had sailed, Covid could've snuck up on us there too. Plus Port of SF is just 25 miles north ... much closer than any of our prior Celebrity ports.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Thank you for posting!  I'm relieved to hear renting a car or selecting your own hotel was an option.  The letter noted reimbursing the contracted rate if selected your own hotel.  Did anyone helping you say anything about reimbursement for the rental car?  Just curious.

Yes, our guest services liaison said save all receipts, so on that online form (thanks again Cruise Raider!), I submitted receipts for car rental, gas and lunch, which is probably minuscule compared to what it would cost to keep our family of 4 down in LA until we could fly back on Wednesday!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grover_ said:

@maggipie  I’m so sorry you and your family had your vacation interrupted by covid.  I hope you are feeling better.

I am wondering if your daughter is of an age where she would have spent time in the kids club?  If so, do you think she may have picked it up there?

My daughter got kicked out of the kids' programs a couple years ago but she's still my little girl 😍

We were being SO very Covid anti social; in fact, DS still qualifies for the kids program but he did not go.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes!  We're both doing fine, mainly congestion and some coughing. DH and DS remain asymptomatic, and tomorrow they'll both get a PCR test, 5 days from our drive up (we all wore N95's for the drive).

My best to those of you heading out soon, I sincerely hope you are spared the Catch-Covid-on-your-Cruise experience!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, tonit964 said:

How could they not be prepared? They had a year and a half pause to get it together and be prepared for other variants and surges and how to handle that once cruising started again. What the heck were they doing all that time?

Exactly this!    This should have been it from the beginning.  Speedy recovery to the OP's daughter.  Glad everything worked out.  I have a cruise coming up in June, so I'm hoping this will be the ongoing practice (or better).

12 hours ago, Flipchild32 said:

Amazing how it is too big a fire hazard for a healthy person to smoke on a balcony but is not for a Covid patient.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tonit964 said:

How could they not be prepared? They had a year and a half pause to get it together and be prepared for other variants and surges and how to handle that once cruising started again. What the heck were they doing all that time?

Recording new music to play while you are on hold on the phone with Princess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3