Before I book this Alaskan Cruise...

mbarker10

Prices are super low right now, and me and the husband can go for under $1000. 

Start: Seattle Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord Juneau Ketchikan Victoria End: Seattle , on the Spirit, 6 day. Plane tickets are gonna eat us alive but I figure we won't see prices like this again.

Anything particular I need to know about this cruise? Anything that makes you go ehhh I wouldn't do that? Or special circumstances?

I just booked this same cruise. $100pp (before taxes and port fees) for a balcony with $200 OBC. We weren't gonna do Alaska for 2 more years, but I figure we likely aren't going to see prices like that again.

Yes, the plane tickets are EXPENSIVE.. They are going to cost us more than the cruise itself, but all-in will still be less than the cruise would have been normally.

Edited by Pyxie
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

No, why would it be an issue? I'm on the 8 day spirit in August to Alaska. Book and go because cruise prices elsewhere and on other lines are double what we are getting on Carnival. 

Makes me nervous with prices so cheap is all. Just wasn't sure if there was some odd scenario that was making prices cheap besides trying to fill up the boat. Thanks!

Just now, mbarker10 said:

Makes me nervous with prices so cheap is all. Just wasn't sure if there was some odd scenario that was making prices cheap besides trying to fill up the boat. Thanks!

Nope, just consider yourself lucky to have gotten the promo. I think they are trying to fill ships, but there is no odd scenario or catch to it. Just a really amazing deal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

I just booked this same cruise. $100pp (before taxes and port fees) for a balcony with $200 OBC. We weren't gonna do Alaska for 2 more years, but I figure we likely aren't going to see prices like that again.

Yes, the plane tickets are EXPENSIVE.. They are going to cost us more than the cruise itself, but all-in will still be less than the cruise would have been normally.

We weren't either! I had Alaska on our 2024 cruise list, but ugh it's so cheap. And yes, plane tickets are more than the cruise! I'm not getting that OBC but otherwise yes. I think mine showed up as $135 pp for a balcony.

Yes!  We took advantage of the deal too.  $135 per person for an 8 day with obstructed balcony.  Couldn't pass it up.  Taxes and port fees are triple the cruise price, and airfare will cost as much as a the total cruise, but still consider it a fantastic bargain.  We already had an Alaskan cruise booked for next year at 3 times the price... we'll see if we keep that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mbarker10 said:

The cruise is great.  It is airfare and news about crime in Seattle that unnerve people

3 hours ago, mbarker10 said:

It's a great fare. Just keep in mind that excursions in Alaska are expensive= they can add up to as much as your cruise fare. Check the weather ahead of your trip and plan accordingly.

I live in Seattle, and before Covid, would cruise 6-8 times per season, booking at the last minute. It's a beautiful state. Have fun !

We are doing our first cruise on one of these deals to Alaska this summer. Too good of deal to pass up. I booked a guaranteed interior and then paid upgraded to an extended balcony.

We live in seattle so for us it’s easy.
Seattle is nice and we like it here so don’t let the news of crime here scare you away. it’s really not bad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We booked an Alaskan cruise on NCL a year and a half a go at a PREMIUM for our 40th and then, of course, these amazing offers come along. So I’m taking my 12 year old granddaughter in June. What a deal, couldn’t pass it up along with that $200 OBC, and it will be here first cruise, just the 2 of us.  It’s a port we can actually drive to. The “crime” in Seattle isn’t any worse than anywhere else. 

Edited by kona_wahine
  • Like 1

Yup I booked this cruise a few day ago as well. We are going on the 8 night cruise and got an obstructed view balcony for $1000 total. That includes $200 OBC! Too good of a deal to pass up! 

Edited by mr. godfredo

I got a super deal too for the Alaska cruises, and booked a 6 day on the Spirit.  I live in Seattle so it's just a quick uber to drop me off at the port.  What's not to love?  

Maybe a couple small things.  No skagway on the itinerary I booked.  Port times are much shorter than I'm used to.  7 to 3PM in Juneau, 7 to 1PM Ketchikan, and Victoria has 8PM to 11:59.  The late / short victoria time has been in place for years - but I've never had such early & short port times in the other ports on my other carnival cruises.  Nor missed Skagway entirely before.  It's a wonderful port and I always look forward to booking an excursion in the Yukon.  

The other thing - from the route I've been able to see the cruise ship  takes - it shows a lot of travel time spent sort of hugging the coastline, instead of inside passage.  Not sure if this will translate to seas that are more rocky, but it wouldn't surprise me.  

3 hours ago, Amoxie said:

We are doing our first cruise on one of these deals to Alaska this summer. Too good of deal to pass up. I booked a guaranteed interior and then paid upgraded to an extended balcony.

We live in seattle so for us it’s easy.
Seattle is nice and we like it here so don’t let the news of crime here scare you away. it’s really not bad. 

I have no idea how bad it is in Seattle but compared to where I live it probably isn't all that bad.☺️

• Haha 1

I have a 24hr hold on an 8-night on the Spirit... it's really difficult for me to get away in May-August, and we *just* got off a B2B yesterday, but those prices! I can't fathom not taking advantage of this deal...

• Like 1

I wouldn’t book it. So many negative factors to consider when comparing against other options.

Shorter cruise, only two Alaskan ports, visits Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay, only one scenic cruising day and also RT Seattle… a better option would be one way with Whittier or Seward to combine time in Alaska. Also, the fact that it’s on Carnival instead of one of the cruise lines with more Alaskan experience.

The Carnival option is the exact opposite of what I would want in an Alaskan cruise. Aren’t they also a random midweek departure on Carnival or did they finally move away from that?

Edited by xDisconnections

12 minutes ago, AQW said:

I have a 24hr hold on an 8-night on the Spirit... it's really difficult for me to get away in May-August, and we *just* got off a B2B yesterday, but those prices! I can't fathom not taking advantage of this deal...

The weather in Alaska in May is pretty good, cold but at least it isn't end of season where you can count on heavy rain.  It really is a great opportunity - bring your binoculars for on board the ship!  

6 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I wouldn’t book it. So many negative factors to consider when comparing against other options.

Shorter cruise, only two Alaskan ports, visits Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay, only one scenic cruising day and also RT Seattle… a better option would be one way with Whittier or Seward to combine time in Alaska. Also, the fact that it’s on Carnival instead of one of the cruise lines with more Alaskan experience.

It could be better, but for $70 pp, not per day but the base fare of the cruise - I don't think I can complain.  I have seen Glacier Bay, on carnival on my first Alaska cruise.  The one way cruises are the best I hear, but then I also hear you are seriously missing out unless you do a land portion tour too.  I thought it was an amazing deal myself.

Just now, CanWeGoYet? said:

It could be better, but for $70 pp, not per day but the base fare of the cruise - I don't think I can complain.  I have seen Glacier Bay, on carnival on my first Alaska cruise.  The one way cruises are the best I hear, but then I also hear you are seriously missing out unless you do a land portion tour too.  I thought it was an amazing deal myself.

Meh.

Why waste time off with such a disappointing itinerary? I’d still rather pay a higher fare and enjoy my trip. Cost isn’t everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

The Carnival option is the exact opposite of what I would want in an Alaskan cruise. Aren’t they also a random midweek departure on Carnival or did they finally move away from that?

This is definitely helpful. I have read repeatedly that glacier bay is not to be missed, so it may be in our best interest to wait until we can get a better itinerary. As much as I want to go, I know this will probably be a one and done (the Alaskan itinerary) so it may be more worthwhile to wait for an itinerary that will be amazing. Thanks for the advice. We’re not cruising in 2023 but we may push this to 2024 and get a truly exceptional itinerary. 

Edited by mbarker10

1 minute ago, mbarker10 said:

This is definitely helpful. I have read repeatedly that glacier bay is not to be missed, so it may be in our best interest to wait until we can get a better itinerary. As much as I want to go, I know this will probably be a one and done (the Alaskan itinerary) so it may be more worthwhile to wait for an itinerary that will be amazing. Thanks for the advice. We’re not cruising in 2023 but we may push this to 2024 and get a truly exceptional itinerary. 

My pleasure! Sometimes you need a more negative outlook to have a more open visual of what you’re looking for.

My advice- check out Princess or Holland America. They have the largest presence in Alaska with the most experience in the area. They secure more permits than the competitors for some glacier viewing experiences and have the connections to bring local experts onboard to really elevate and immerse you into Alaska.

This is one of the few itineraries where cost shouldn’t be a factor and it’s better to reserve exactly what you’re looking for.

• Like 1