Acceptable id for cruising

JMorris271

i can't believe we did this . We are sailing on May 7. Checked out Passports and find that they expire 1 month after we get back. Can anyone tell me what other ID forms are acceptable for cruising? We both have the Real ID drivers license.  Thanks.

Edited by JMorris271
complete question

2 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

i can't believe we3 did this . We are sailing on May 7. Checked out Passports and find that they expire 1 month after we get back. Can anyone tell me what other ID forms are acceptable for cruising? We both have the Real ID drivers license.  Thanks.

Where are you cruising from and cruising too? If you are cruising in North America your passport is good. All you need is a valid passport. If you are cruising in Europe you will need to expidite getting your passport renewed. 

19 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

i can't believe we did this . We are sailing on May 7. Checked out Passports and find that they expire 1 month after we get back. Can anyone tell me what other ID forms are acceptable for cruising? We both have the Real ID drivers license.  Thanks.

If your cruise line requires all passengers to have passports for all itineraries (most premium/luxury lines do), request an emergency passport appointment in a major city that has a US passport agency office there. Though the appointment will probably need to be within two weeks of travel, you may be able to set it sooner. 
You could try expedited mail-in. But, this could be way too close. And that (passport return not received yet) is a main reason for emergency appointments.

It can vary by cruise line so you would need to confirm with yours first, but with RCCL and Celebrity, for any US based closed loop itinerary, in lieu of a passport, all that is required is an original birth certificate and a valid picture ID.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

For a closed loop cruise your passport should be sufficient but your cruise line might have more stringent requirements. Your REAL ID would need to be accompanied by a government issued birth certificate (or naturalization certificate or consular report of birth abroad).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

For a closed loop cruise your passport should be sufficient but your cruise line might have more stringent requirements. Your REAL ID would need to be accompanied by a government issued birth certificate (or naturalization certificate or consular report of birth abroad).

I agree - a passport is usually sufficient.  But the OP is concerned about the expiration date with their passports.  Some cruse lines have rather stringent rules - as you indicate - also regarding sailing dates and expiration dates.  They would need to check that as well.

46 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It can vary by cruise line so you would need to confirm with yours first, but with RCCL and Celebrity, for any US based closed loop itinerary, in lieu of a passport, all that is required is an original birth certificate and a valid picture ID.

An original government issued birth certificate, not just any original as they will not accept an original hospital certificate.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Since OP left out needed vital information the only part of OP's post that can be answered is that a  REAL ID drivers license on it's own is not sufficiant to cruise anywhere. Any drivers licence Real ID or not combined with a birth certificate can be used on some cruises dependeng on port of embarkation and debarkation. If their passports have a month left at the end of the cruise they will be valid on the same cruises that only need a BC and DL.

You need to have your passports with you!!!  The Real ID isn't enough to get you on the ship without a birth certificate.  I am guessing your Real ID is your state driver's license. When you are doing the online check-in, register your passports that will be current throughout your cruise, and present the passports at check-in. for extra security/peace of mind, you can bring along your gov't issued birth certificates as back-up documentation, but your still current (at the end of the cruise) passports should be fine.

5 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

We checked with Carnival.  They said that the real ID is good enough if the PP expires within 2 months of the end of the cruise.

Make sure that you have that in writing with a name and contact number for the person who does not believe you to call.

DON

If the OP showed up just his/her Real ID (most likely a driver's license) without a birth certificate or current passport, they would be denied boarding.  It would not matter what anyone from Carnival told them over the phone, and having a name wouldn't help at all..  The folks who will determine what is needed will be at the pier. 

If the OP didn't bring their still current passport, or their gov't issued birth certificate, they would be given an opportunity to contact someone at home to find and take a photo of the gov't issued BC, which would be electronically sent to the office at the pier.  The birth certificate would be printed out, and if approved by a supervisor at the pier, it would be given to the passenger and they would be able to complete embarkation.

OP, bring your still current passport.  You can bring your gov't issued birth certificate as back-up documentation.

10 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

OP, bring your still current passport.  You can bring your gov't issued birth certificate as back-up documentation.

If you have a current passport, why is there any need for a back up?

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

The only need for it is to make oneself feel better, it adds nothing to the process since the passport is still valid and would be accepted.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Because the OP called Carnival and even though their passport was still valid throughout the cruise, Carnival suggested using Real ID, which is useless w/o a BC or passport.  The passport should be fine since it expires 2 months after the cruise, but to give the OP peace of mind I suggested bringing their BC.  It is overkill I know, .having both the passport and BC, but it's better than the OP just showing up with just the Real ID and nothing else.  :  )

10 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The only need for it is to make oneself feel better, it adds nothing to the process since the passport is still valid and would be accepted.

I know my friend.  It just scared me when the OP said Carnival told them to bring/use Real ID.  What a mess that could be (no passport or gov't issued birth certificate).

18 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

We checked with Carnival.  They said that the real ID is good enough if the PP expires within 2 months of the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I know my friend.  It just scared me when the OP said Carnival told them to bring/use Real ID.  What a mess that could be (no passport or gov't issued birth certificate).

Unless the OP was asking about what he could use to re-board the ship at a port of call, in which case the REAL ID would work. The OP hasn't asked the clearest of questions and has left large questions un-answered to enable us to provide the answer he seeks. If he did that to the CSR then it would prevent them from providing an answer as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Yes, you and your fellow workers better hope that that is not part of the script that the customer service representatives have and are reading to passengers who ask that question. I'm sure you realize that they are going to blame you as they heard it on the phone from Carnival. 😢

• Thanks 1

For others finding this thread - while the RealID the OP has is NOT enough for a closed-loop cruise originating/returning in the US, if you're lucky enough to live in a state with the Enhanced Driver License program (there are only a few, mine is one, being New York), that EDL IS enough.  The EDL is a very small step removed from a passport card (which is also valid for that type of cruise).

Now, is it advisable to cruise with JUST that?  Heck to the no!  It can be done and many people do it, but if there ever comes a situation where you might need to fly home from a foreign port it becomes MUCH more complicated if you don't have the passport book.  Even though I have the EDL, I still bring my passport book on a cruise, but it stays locked in the safe on port days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

It should scare. Real ID has no application to cruising. It will only be needed for domestic air travel when it actually goes into effect. It is a TSA requirement. Deadline been extended so many times. Passengers who go the birth certificate and photo ID route don’t need the photo ID to be a Real ID. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

For others finding this thread - while the RealID the OP has is NOT enough for a closed-loop cruise originating/returning in the US, if you're lucky enough to live in a state with the Enhanced Driver License program (there are only a few, mine is one, being New York), that EDL IS enough.  The EDL is a very small step removed from a passport card (which is also valid for that type of cruise).

There are five states on the Canadian border. There has been some confusion on the boards in the past with people confusing Real ID with EDL and thinking that Real ID is the same thing and is enough.  Perhaps the Carnival agent was confusing Real ID with EDL. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

It should scare. Real ID has no application to cruising. It will only be needed for domestic air travel when it actually goes into effect. It is a TSA requirement. Deadline been extended so many times. Passengers who go the birth certificate and photo ID route don’t need the photo ID to be a Real ID. 

It's more than for just domestic air travel, it is used to gain access to any property under federal jurisdiction so it would be needed to enter a federal building, federal courthouse or military installation (to name a few major ones).

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Perhaps the Carnival agent was confusing Real ID with EDL. 

Sadly, this is a real possibility.  Last season (2021) a number of passengers arrived for their Alaska cruise having been told by all sorts of people, including travel agents, that there was no need of having a passport or birth certificate because all the ships were bypassing Canada.  Only those passengers who could have someone at home electronically send to the pier a photo of their gov't issued birth certificate made it on to the ship.  All others unfortunately denied due to not having proof of citizenship.

32 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It's more than for just domestic air travel, it is used to gain access to any property under federal jurisdiction so it would be needed to enter a federal building, federal courthouse or military installation (to name a few major ones).

I am in NY state, and when I renewed my driver's license, I was asked if I wanted the EDL. When I told them I had a passport that at the time still had 9 years left on it, I was told I did not need the EDL. 

The post office is a federal building; will I need my passport to enter it? When and if I need to renew my passport, will I need to buy a lot of stamps since I will have to send in the passport and will not have it until the renewed one arrives?