Please educate this RV newbie on drink package

As an experienced Carnival cruiser, we are finally going to try RC for the first time in July.  The drinks package gave me a little sticker shock compared to Carnival but I do understand that it is comparing apples to oranges based on the advantages that RC offers.  Can anyone help with some questions so I can convince my hubby to go for it?

I understand there is no drink minimum so I would not be wary of trying new things and not finishing it if I don’t like it.  However, is there a certain time that I would need to wait before ordering a new drink?

Is the drink package good in CocoCay and Labadee?

If I ordered a drink I did not like, would another member of my party (not in my room) who did not order the drinks package be able to finish it or is that a no-no?

thanks for any advice you could offer this newbie!

No limits as long as your aren’t obviously impaired. 

Package good on RC islands (huge plus over Carnival)

I have ordered drinks “rapid fire” often, have never been told I had to wait.

As far as someone else finishing a drink you did not like, that would probably be considered “sharing” and this a no-no; although who would know if you were discreet.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Drink package prices go up and down. If you purchase, and you see a lower price, you can cancel and repurchase.

As much as I loathe throwing away perfectly good alcohol, I do understand people wanting to try new things. Although it is against the rules to share, I would just be discreet passing it to someone else. Not right in front of bartender…LOL This is why I normally stick to alcohols I know I like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Camden72 said:

As an experienced Carnival cruiser, we are finally going to try RC for the first time in July.  The drinks package gave me a little sticker shock compared to Carnival but I do understand that it is comparing apples to oranges based on the advantages that RC offers.  Can anyone help with some questions so I can convince my hubby to go for it?

I understand there is no drink minimum so I would not be wary of trying new things and not finishing it if I don’t like it.  However, is there a certain time that I would need to wait before ordering a new drink?

Is the drink package good in CocoCay and Labadee?

If I ordered a drink I did not like, would another member of my party (not in my room) who did not order the drinks package be able to finish it or is that a no-no?

thanks for any advice you could offer this newbie!

There is no min or max. Drink away to your hearts content.  Try something unusual, don't like it, try something else.  The beauty of Royal plan is it allows experimentation without any risk or cost.

Package works fine on the Islands.

I would think if it was a one or two off there would be no harm in passing it off to someone else but if the intent is to subvert the package rules then I'd say don't do it.  

Also, I always recommend ordering the fresh squeezed OJ while having breakfast in the WJ.  It is lightyears better than the stuff they serve en-masse.  It is included with the package but some people never think about it.  It is the start to every morning I have onboard.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As the others have said, no time limits - order as much and as often as you want. When I've been ordering the same drink over and over again while sitting at the bar I'd find it refilled on its own without me even having to say anything. 

Technically giving your unfinished drink to someone else to finish would be "against the rules" - but if you're even remotely discrete about it, you will be fine. I've actually tried using the unlimited package for myself and buying a companion a drink and the bartender just waved it away and gave me both on the package.

Don't forget to grab bottles of water throughout the day. Any bar you pass is a potential water fountain - it's very handy (especially to stash in your room).

Someone else said, and I'll add on, fresh squeezed OJ in the morning is an often missed perk. I often have 2-3 glasses each morning at breakfast (accompanied by a bloody mary.)

One important thing that has not been mentioned. You can specify your liquor! If you just order a "rum and coke" you will get well (cheap) rum and coke. If you order "Pyrat and Coke" you'll get a superior spiced rum and coke - all included on your package. That works for virtually all drinks - another example is a "Grey Goose Blood Mary" - much better than dark eyes, or whatever the well vodka is.

One last thing - the package works for drinks up to $13 - anything over $13 you just pay the difference. So if you want to splurge and get a shot of some high end tequila you will only be paying the difference (if they bother to ring it up properly). 

If you feel inclined, tip a little for each drink you get - especially at your favorite bar. This will result in later favors, for instance letting you get a 2nd drink or not charging the excess for drinks over $13.

Edited by DerekB
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Camden72 said:

We are also experienced Carnival cruisers and have been switching over to Royal.  Everyone is giving you good advice.  My advice is....unless you are infrequent alcohol drinkers, the drink package will be worthwhile and save you money in the end.  The drinks on Royal are more expensive. Heck, everything on Royal is a bit more expensive.  To us, the quality on Carnival has finally sunk to a level that we were not willing to accept.  We want a more livelier experience than Princess, so Royal is a nice fit for us. If you "buy in" to the Royal experience, you will be able to see if the extra cost is worth it to you.  Enjoy your cruise!      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Don't forget to grab bottles of water throughout the day. Any bar you pass is a potential water fountain - it's very handy (especially to stash in your room).

More good advice!

• Thanks 1

One thing that's not really mentioned much when people talk about doing the drinks package math - although the OJ/water talk has alluded to it - having the drink package buys you more than just alcohol.  As stated, it includes bottled waters, juice plus the fountain/canned sodas and a ton of other drinks (although not all.)  As much as I try, even I can't do all booze, all the time, so the drinks package does cover those times as well.  Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Broons77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All adults in the cabin must purchase a drink package of some type. If you book it on-line they must all be "UDP". However, if someone is not  drinker of alcohol you can call customer (no service) and request that you purchase a (1) "UDP" and (1) a refreshment package. It can't seem to be done on-line, only directly with RCCL.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

All adults in the cabin must purchase a drink package of some type. If you book it on-line they must all be "UDP". However, if someone is not  drinker of alcohol you can call customer (no service) and request that you purchase a (1) "UDP" and (1) a refreshment package. It can't seem to be done on-line, only directly with RCCL.

UDP is Unlimited Dining Package.

Deluxe Beverage Package (DBP) is what Royal calls it. Don’t want to confuse those unfamiliar with the packages.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

I’ve always wondered if you do this, is the passenger with the refreshment package able to purchase alcoholic drinks and just pay for them individually? Or does this raise red flags as to your reason for not buying the DBP. I can make the drink package worthwhile for myself no problem but my wife drinks 1-2 drinks a day and really only water other than that. We usually just pay as we go for that reason.

Edited by Mrcar09

If you are paying $66 per day for the UDP, you are looking at a minimum of 5-$13 drinks a day to break even. Now if you go for beer and wine, you will need to drink more to make up for it. Remember, if you are off ship or board late the first day, etc. you have to make up for it to break even. Just do some math before you purchase it and take a look at some of the drink menus that are posted online.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Green said:

If you are paying $66 per day for the UDP, you are looking at a minimum of 5-$13 drinks a day to break even. Now if you go for beer and wine, you will need to drink more to make up for it. Remember, if you are off ship or board late the first day, etc. you have to make up for it to break even. Just do some math before you purchase it and take a look at some of the drink menus that are posted online.

DBP

DBP

DBP

DBP

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, LaCal said:

Keep checking a few times a week on the drink pkg prices 

The sales change frequently 

Got our drink pkg on sale for $51.99 a day 🍹🍹🍹😜 for our May cruise 

Got ours for £40 a day for our June and July cruises. Special promotion which may have been only available in the UK. Had to ring though, couldn’t get it online through the Cruise Planner.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Broons77 said:

One thing that's not really mentioned much when people talk about doing the drinks package math - although the OJ/water talk has alluded to it - having the drink package buys you more than just alcohol.  As stated, it includes bottled waters, juice plus the fountain/canned sodas and a ton of other drinks (although not all.)  As much as I try, even I can't do all booze, all the time, so the drinks package does cover those times as well.  Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Don't forget the speciality coffees (just not in the Starbucks cafe)

And upgrade the morning juice to a Mimosa!!

8 hours ago, Mr. Green said:

Remember it is not just $13 alcohol drinks being paid for. Was already going to get the soda package? There's $8 already gone. Wanted bottles of water through the day? $3.50 each. A specialty coffee and some fresh OJ in the morning? Could be $10 off. We are at $41 now to break even and we're not even past afternoon or had a cocktail. 

• Like 1

Here's the deal, once a drink is in your hands, no bartender cares where it goes next if you do not like it. In Nov, I cruised solo (room by myself) and family and friends were also on the cruise and I did not get the booze drink package. Was no problem for anyone to hand me a drink on occasion. I also went and got my mom drinks so she didn't have to get up and go. No problem using her card to get her drinks either.

Enjoy yourself and don't overthink this or let anyone scare or shame you.

The upcoming cruise, my wife has the booze package and I just have the deluxe beverage package.

Edited by Pomc99
  • Thanks 1