Booking to capacity yet?

Badfinger

If you mean that they are intentionally capping things at a 70% load; I don't think so any more.  But it's not as if the ships are maxed out with 4 to every cabin that will hold that many.  I do believe that on some ships and some sailings, they are reaching 100% double occupancy.  This was especially true at the peak of Spring Break.

They are selling as many berths as they can. If that means a sold out cruise, then that's what it'll be. They are discounting as necessary to fill as many berths as the sailing will bear.

Carnival (and Royal Caribbean) just had their largest week in history for booking new cruises, so expect passenger counts to be high on most sailings in the next year or so. People are ready to cruise and many still have Future Cruise Credits to use.

37 minutes ago, DGNewton said:

The empty ship party is over, I say over,,,,,,they'll sell er out if they can, but must have some overflow rooms for Covid....I expect that to go away with time too..

I don't know how many berths they have to set aside for COVID. My guess is not enough to notice the difference on an otherwise sold out cruise.

Carnival (to me, at least) seemed to be the "industry leader" in filling up their ships first.

I own CCL stock, so it's bittersweet - you want the company to do well (obviously), but have fond recollections of less crowded times!

Tom

• Like 2

On Mardi Gras right now. It is a madhouse. I’m

currently looking at over 30 ppl in line for the Java Blue cafe. Have to arrive 45mins early to almost every show to get a seat. It’s near sold out. Was on the ship in October at 75ish percent. Seemed empty compared to this.

4 minutes ago, bobbyg11 said:

On Mardi Gras right now. It is a madhouse. I’m

currently looking at over 30 ppl in line for the Java Blue cafe. Have to arrive 45mins early to almost every show to get a seat. It’s near sold out. Was on the ship in October at 75ish percent. Seemed empty compared to this.

Bummer.  Going to be on it in two weeks. I was afraid that the lines would be an issue.  Also, with the theater sizes being smaller, I was also concerned about getting seats for the shows.  Sure will miss the crowds from our September and January cruises.

20 hours ago, joe/jack said:

IT APPEARS THAT OUR 6-4-22 MARDI GRAS IS SOLD OUT AS WE WERE LOOKING FOR TWO ADDITIONAL 

CABINS 

IM EXPECTING 5k TO BE ON THAT WEEK

We are on that sailing. it is showing sold out for me as well. Almost everything for June on the Mardi Gras is sold out or very close. 

We have been on 7 cruises since cruising resumed last summer, and capacity increased each time.  Since February the crowds have been back to normal.  We just got off Mardi Gras on Saturday and according to guest services, we were "sailing full" and it was definitely a noticeable difference from our August cruise on Mardi Gras (which I believe was 50% - 60% capacity).  I truly believe cruising is back to normal, if not more popular than ever.  The airports were a nightmare (granted it was spring break for us) - people are more than ready to travel again (and seem to be trying to make up for lost time).  

Sorry, back to the original question, we have been on Breeze twice and yes, most recently it was close to capacity.  Family members were on Dream for Christmas and said it was at capacity then (not sure about now).

30 minutes ago, aacruise said:

Our family was on the Vista for Spring Break. There were 4600 passengers and not enough staff. Carnival was not prepared. Check-in and disembarkation were jokes.

That is a good point, there were staffing issues on Mardi Gras also.  We were told that Carnival is doing everything they can (and some crew members said they'd had their contracts extended) but they are having trouble hiring people (just like many other businesses).

12 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

That is a good point, there were staffing issues on Mardi Gras also.  We were told that Carnival is doing everything they can (and some crew members said they'd had their contracts extended) but they are having trouble hiring people (just like many other businesses).

I wonder if Carnival is coming to the table with offers sufficient to attract people back to this line of work, or if their efforts are limited to the additional crumbs that the slight bump in the tips will provide.

Yep - businesses of all types have found the bar raised (substantially in some cases) in their efforts to hire employees. This has been my personal experience as well. In my line of work, you can't simply pass along all the increased costs to the public. It's the guy in the middle (yours truly) who feels the pinch...

Tom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I wonder if Carnival is coming to the table with offers sufficient to attract people back to this line of work, or if their efforts are limited to the additional crumbs that the slight bump in the tips will provide.

Yep - business of all types have found the bar raised (substantially in some cases) in their efforts to hire employees. This has been my personal experience as well. In my line of work, you can't simply pass along all the increased costs to the public. It's the guy in the middle (yours truly) who feels the pinch...

Tom

Same here. We are in the medical field and having to pay staff 30 to 40 percent more than pre-pandemic but reimbursement has not gone up anywhere close to that.  Cost of supplies, utilities, etc. has also increased.  The only saving grace is we own our building (and have a mortgage) so "rent" hasn't gone up like it would have if we were leasing, but property values have increased which means taxes and insurance has also gone up.  Then, every time we turn around, it seems like there are more government regulations to meet that require time that isn't reimbursed. My husband is working longer hours, but bringing home less than he was pre-pandemic. I hope this trend doesn't continue.   

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

We were told it is due to visa/vaccination issues, but hard to know for sure. 

On Mardi Gras last week, the dance/entertainment group had been onboard for 11 months and our CD said that is unprecedented (we saw their final performance - they got to leave mid-cruise).

• Like 1

Mardi Gras was near capacity on our Feb 26th cruise and we are back on May 28th and expect it full.

We'll just adjust and pick and choose what we want to do,

All in all, we are cruising for R&R.  Don't want to get caught up in it all.

No need to worries!!!