Quantum/Oasis/Radiance classes - opinions wanted!

losfp

Hello RCL boarders 🙂 

I have never been on RCL (We've sailed a number of times, mostly on Princess, P&O Australia and Disney) but have always wanted to try one of the mega ships to see if it's a style of cruising that we'd enjoy.

We've not been able to do a big trip for a couple of years for... reasons.  But we are looking at one in Oct 2023.

We'd like to do one of these trans-atlantic cruises:

14 night from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale on Symphony of the Seas, or

15 night from Rome to Ft Lauderdale on Odyssey of the Seas.

Now we have never been to Europe so we're wary of knowing what to do, deal with the language difference etc, so we'd ideally like to pair that with a shorter cruise, maybe one of these:

3 night from Rome to Barcelona on Symphony of the Seas (and linking up with the 14 night above)

7 night from Barcelona round trip on Symphony of the Seas (likewise linking up with the 14 night above)

5 night from Barcelona round trip on Serenade of the Seas (and linking up with the 14 night)

7 night from Rome to Rome on Symphony of the Seas (and linking up with the 15 night above)

I would love to do the Symphony/Odyssey double so I can finally try the Oasis and Quantum class ships. But if time and funds only permits us to do a transatlantic, does anyone have any opinions on which of the Oasis or Quantum classes would make for a better experience? We're a family of 4, 2 daughters will be 10 and 15.

I would love recommendations or opinions from anyone who's cruised on any of these 3 ships (or other ships in the same class which might be similar). TIA 🙂 

The Serenade is an older, smaller ship, and would be similar in size to the Grand Princess.  We have sailed the Serenade several times, and we like the intimate feel of the ship.  The production shows and activities for kids are not nearly as good as you will find on Odyssey or Symphony. 

We sailed on Odyssey last October, and as the newest ship at the time, it contained all the new bells and whistles. Our cruises on two other Quantum class ships were canceled the last couple years, so that was our first time on that class.  The shows on Odyssey were very high tech (and very loud).  If you want to read a little about our experience on it, I did a live review, and there is a link to it In my signature.   There are some activities your daughters may enjoy, namely iFly and the bumper cars, but there aren’t as many as on Oasis class ships.

If I were to choose a ship for a trans Atlantic, I would choose Symphony (says someone doing their first TA on Anthem next year).   The reason I would say Symphony is because you will find many more things onboard for your daughters.  You do have to pre-book many of the shows and activities, but this is true of Odyssey also.

Four of the next five cruises we have booked are on Oasis and Quantum class ships, so we do prefer the larger ones.   Your trip to Europe sounds like a great holiday.  Enjoy your planning.

1 hour ago, losfp said:

always wanted to try one of the mega ships to see if it's a style of cruising that we'd enjoy.

Radiance class ships are not mega-ships.  If you want to experience a mega-ship, the Oasis class of ships are the largest cruise ships afloat.  We love being able to take a stroll though the greenery that is the central park neighborhood is something we do daily.  The boardwalk neighborhood is great for kids.

Plenty to do for children and adults alike.  My thought is that everyone should try an oasis class ship at least once.

Edited by Dewaldcruiser

If I  was you I would do  the 15 night from Rome to Ft Lauderdale on Odyssey of the Seas. It has a nice mix of port stops in Europe. The itinerary of that cruise is really special and unique for a TA.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

We are frequent cruisers on Royal and Celebrity and just returned from Symphony in February and Odyssey in March. This was our 2nd time on Symphony and we have also sailed on Oasis and Allure. Hands down OASIS class! It is by far our favorite and has SO much to do! We have a 3 and 6 year old, but did Oasis class even before they were born. Years ago we sailed on Jewel which is sister ship to Radiance. At the time we loved it, but I really think you will LOVE Oasis class, especially for a longer voyage and with 2 older kids. We found the service on Symphony in February to be WAY better than the service on Odyssey a month later. However, a lot did change on the ships within a month as well. Just a huge fan over here of Oasis class 🙂 Whatever you choose, you will have a wonderful time I am sure! 

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

If I  was you I would do  the 15 night from Rome to Ft Lauderdale on Odyssey of the Seas. It has a nice mix of port stops in Europe. The itinerary of that cruise is really special and unique for a TA.

I second Jim's vote.   Odyssey has MUCH  better itinerary. IMO.    Quantum class ships are built for cold weather sailings and have multi level solarium plus another section with indoor pool.   I suspect your family will get a lot of use of the indoor pool for a TA crossing in October/November.

the 270 theater/lounge is one of our favorite spots on this ship class.   Bumper cars and roller skating will be lots of fun too!

If able to arrange a b2b before or after the TA that would be great.

Also check out royals air2sea program as they usually offer great pricing for one way flights to Europe and payment is not due until final payment is due for your cruise.   This offers you flexibility to change flights prior to final payment.

Next big question, what cabin type are looking at?

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I second Jim's vote.   Odyssey has better itinerary. IMO.    Quantum class ships are built for cold weather sailings and have multi level solarium plus another section with indoor pool.   I suspect your family will get a lot of use of the indoor pool for a TA crossing in October.

the 270 theater/lounge is one of our favorite spots on this ship class.   Bumper cars and roller skating will be lots of fun too!

Also check out royals air2sea program as they usually offer great pricing for one way flights to Europe and payment is not due until final payment is due for your cruise.   This offers you flexibility to change flights prior to final payment.

Have to be  either 2 regular balconies or 1 balcony cabin that holds 4 passengers, there are no suites available on that sailing as of right now.

Plenty of Oceanviews and insides available too if they wanted to go  that way.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Have to be  either 2 regular balconies or 1 balcony cabin that holds 4 passengers, there are no suites available on that sailing as of right now.

Plenty of Oceanviews and insides available too if they wanted to go  that way.

For a TA crossing 2 obstructed balconies would work just fine too but I don't think they connect.     There are some that only have 50% obstruction where you simply cannot look straight down but that doesn't matter as you will see lots of ocean on sea days.

The Odyssey itinerary is really nice!   

Thank you all so much for your thoughts so far. The 14n Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale on Symphony was the one that caught my eye at first as I was discussing the big Oasis class ships with my wife and how we've never tried them.  So since last week I have been putting together options on how we might do it. 

ie: 

Few days in Barcelona + 14n Symphony TA

Few days in Rome + 3n Symphony + 14n Symphony

Few days in Paris + few days in Rome + 3n Symphony + 14n Symphony

7n Symphony + 14n Symphony

But today I saw the 15n Odyssey and thought huh. That's another option:

7n Symphony + 15n Odyssey

It doesn't leave a lot of time on shore (as we would have to take time off work and school so we're working on a tight schedule), but as it's our first time ever visiting Europe, I don't mind that too much as visiting ports from a ship is a nice way to gently introduce yourself to a location, and you can always go back later on to spend more time in ports you enjoy.

What I like about this option is the itinerary (the Symphony TA has 9 days in a row of sea days!!) and the ability to try both the Quantum and Oasis class ships.  We would likely go the cheapest cabin options possible as we like to spend as much time on deck or enjoying the facilities as possible and only really use the cabin to rest and sleep, and on a trip as big as this, the costs do add up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, losfp said:

Thank you all so much for your thoughts so far. The 14n Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale on Symphony was the one that caught my eye at first as I was discussing the big Oasis class ships with my wife and how we've never tried them.  So since last week I have been putting together options on how we might do it. 

ie: 

It doesn't leave a lot of time on shore (as we would have to take time off work and school so we're working on a tight schedule), but as it's our first time ever visiting Europe, I don't mind that too much as visiting ports from a ship is a nice way to gently introduce yourself to a location, and you can always go back later on to spend more time in ports you enjoy.

What I like about this option is the itinerary (the Symphony TA has 9 days in a row of sea days!!) and the ability to try both the Quantum and Oasis class ships.  We would likely go the cheapest cabin options possible as we like to spend as much time on deck or enjoying the facilities as possible and only really use the cabin to rest and sleep, and on a trip as big as this, the costs do add up.

Probably much cheaper to spend the extra days on a cruise ships rather then those pre cruise land options in Europe if $$ is an issue

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I second Jim's vote.   Odyssey has MUCH  better itinerary. IMO.    Quantum class ships are built for cold weather sailings and have multi level solarium plus another section with indoor pool.   I suspect your family will get a lot of use of the indoor pool for a TA crossing in October/November.

No indoor pool on Odyssey othervthan solarium 

If you like smaler ships and are less into the mega ships you can go for the 5 night Serenade followed by the transatlantic. Otherwise I would suggest to spend some time in Europe first and then go for the Odyssey transatlantic might be the best option.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, losfp said:

I think the kids would be bored with 9 sea days on Symphony.    The Odyssey crossing has numerous port stops and Bermuda is always nice too!   I'm staying with vote for this TA and adding a 7 night sailing on Symphony will give you the best of both worlds.

Maybe get yourself an OV and an interior cabin across the hall for the kids.    Or 2 connecting interior cabins since you won't spend much time in your cabin anyway.   

I think a family of 4 would be way too tight in 1 cabin for that many days, plus you want the storage space with packing for that many days.    

You can have laundry done for $34.99 a bag.  And handwash bathing suits etc.

25 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I didn't realize that, I thought it had similar footprint of other Quantum class ships.

Part of Quantum Ultra changes. 

Also got rid of the 4 seperate dining rooms

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Maybe get yourself an OV and an interior cabin across the hall for the kids.    Or 2 connecting interior cabins since you won't spend much time in your cabin anyway.   

I think a family of 4 would be way too tight in 1 cabin for that many days, plus you want the storage space with packing for that many days.    

Money is a factor, but you are right - for 2 weeks you don't want to go mad in a space that's too small. There's some "spacious ocean view" cabins that might suit, they appear to offer a bit more space that would work with 4.

But I guess in the end we'll see what will fit money-wise, and just make it work. It's not the end of the world if we have a tiny room while we're on a big, amazing cruise ship.

Thanks so much for your feedback 🙂

We normally pack light and do laundry every few days, but it appears that RCL doesn't offer self-serve laundromats on board?

16 hours ago, losfp said:

ie: 

No matter the TA you pick, I would recommend visiting a couple cities in Europe pre cruise.  So 3-4 days in Paris and 3-4 days in Rome and then do the TA.  I personally wouldn’t do a second cruise before in Europe. Use that time to really see Europe on foot  (you only scratch the surface on a cruise).  Your kids will love Rome.  Another great city, particularly for a European first timer and someone with kids, is London.   So much cool stuff for kids and adults to enjoy (Tower of London and the Crown Jewels, Windsor Castle, etc for example).   Plus, no language issues, but you will be ok wherever you go on that.  It is easy to fly or travel by train depending what cities you visit.  Whatever cities you pick, you can always do the second ship at a different time on a different trip.  

In my opinion , if flying all the way to Europe, spend as much time on foot as possible.  Then spend the last couple weeks enjoying the Atlantic crossing.  

Independent of itinerary, I would Symphony.   But you probably pick based on itinerary too.  

• Like 1

The Symphony is an awesome ship. It has everything you can possibly want on a ship, and the kids would love it. The Quantum Class is also very good. The Radiance would be more like the ships you've already been on. Whichever you choose, have a great cruise.

13 hours ago, losfp said:

Money is a factor, but you are right - for 2 weeks you don't want to go mad in a space that's too small. There's some "spacious ocean view" cabins that might suit, they appear to offer a bit more space that would work with 4.

But I guess in the end we'll see what will fit money-wise, and just make it work. It's not the end of the world if we have a tiny room while we're on a big, amazing cruise ship.

Thanks so much for your feedback 🙂

We normally pack light and do laundry every few days, but it appears that RCL doesn't offer self-serve laundromats on board?

If you book Odyssey before they disappear, cabins 8510. 8110, 9510. 9110 would be perfect for your family.   They are priced as spacious OV but are much larger than others, these couple of cabins are about 300 Sq compared to 212 Sq.     I just did mock booking and price would be $4328 for 4 people.    If you booked 2 interiors at 165 sq' each that would be $4482 with tax and port fees.

Check out the deck plan and Google Photos of these cabins.   

No self serve laundry on any royal ship.   I pack small woolite and hand wash a lot of items such as bathing suits, blouses, bras, etc.  

• Thanks 1