Afraid of Quarantaine/Isolation in OV or inside - consider cancelling ?

odysee

Have been reading some stories here of positive tested cruisers who were moved by X from their suite/balcony to an OV with no possibility to even open window.

I am wondering how many of you are now reconsidering their booking(s) for next cruises as I am ? While I was willing to take risk of testing positive and being moved, I was betting on this being to an equivalent, at least balcony cabin.  But I  can t consider being stuck in a closed cabin for several days, which would be a horor for me.

Does X not realize that this is now a different ballgame for their prospective passengers ?

opinions ?

Edited by odysee
  • Like 6

• odysee changed the title to Afraid of Quarantaine/Isolation in OV or inside - consider cancelling ?

I think it’s a disgusting way to treat people. Being locked in a cabin is bad enough but not being able to go outside onto a balcony to get some fresh air is not acceptable.  Funny the CDC advices cruise lines to isolate people to balcony cabins for psychological moral…..

During the 2021 U.K. silhouette cruises as large section of deck 6 balcony rooms were set aside for isolation. Not sure why this is not happening now. 

Edited by iandjm
  • Like 10

20 minutes ago, odysee said:

Have been reading some stories here of positive tested cruisers who were moved by X from their suite/balcony to an OV with no possibility to even open window.

I am wondering how many of you are now reconsidering their booking(s) for next cruises as I am ? While I was willing to take risk of testing positive and being moved, I was betting on this being to an equivalent, at least balcony cabin.  But I  can t consider being stuck in a closed cabin for several days, which would be a horor for me.

Does X not realize that this is now a different ballgame for their prospective passengers ?

opinions ?

I feel the same way. I did cruise with confidence in Sept and Dec when Celebrity was sending Covid positive patients home in private transportation.  We’re scheduled to sail next week. Reading recent quarantine stories has me struggling l-cancel / go ????? I am claustrophobic. Being quarantined in an OV or porthole cabin would be detrimental to my health! There is no consistency in Celebrity’s  quarantine policy. Some ships are using balcony cabins. Celebrity needs to guarantee at a minimum quarantine in balcony cabin so their guests can return to cruising with confidence! 

We are quadruple vaccinated. 
Good Luck with your decision.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, luv4cruises said:

I feel the same way. I did cruise with confidence in Sept and Dec when Celebrity was sending Covid positive patients home in private transportation.  We’re scheduled to sail next week. Reading recent quarantine stories has me struggling l-cancel / go ????? I am claustrophobic. Being quarantined in an OV or porthole cabin would be detrimental to my health! There is no consistency in Celebrity’s  quarantine policy. Some ships are using balcony cabins. Celebrity needs to guarantee at a minimum quarantine in balcony cabin so their guests can return to cruising with confidence! 

We are quadruple vaccinated. 
Good Luck with your decision.

My daughter in law is claustrophobic and would never go on a cruise ship. You aren't afraid to sail?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rachiem said:

And with the Covid Assistance ending at the end of the month too! 
To give up a suite to go to an OV with no partial refund is not acceptable IMO. 

The end of Covid 19 assistance on 4/30 is critical to me. I cannot go to Europe (Italy) in August if not extended thru 9/1. I just don’t feel that lucky!!

• Like 3

Just a note about cancellation. We purchase both Cruise Care, as well as additional medical under another insurance company. Regarding Cruise Care, there is a special addition provided by Celebrity which allows 90 % refund up to date of departure for any reason not covered by the standard coverage of the policy. Read the fine print regarding when the policy must be purchased.

The following Cruise Vacation Cancellation Enhancement is provided by Celebrity Cruises and is not an insurance benefit. “Any Reason” Cruise Credits...............................equal to 90% of the non-refundable pre-paid Cruise Vacation Cost

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased the CruiseCare, Celebrity Cruises will provide you a cruise credit equal to 90% of the non-refundable value (excluding Flights by CelebritySM, previously known as ChoiceAir) of your Cruise Vacation prepaid to Celebrity, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered by Celebrity Cruises as a special service to guests that purchase this cruise ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. Credits are valid for one year from issue date, are not transferable, and have no cash value. To be eligible for the credits: 1. The travel protection plan must be purchased prior to having made final payment for the cruise; and 2. Notification of cancellation must be given to Celebrity Cruises prior to the ship's departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Celebrity, please contact the CruiseCare Help Line at 1-800-797-4516 or 1- 516-342-7262 regarding cruise credits. Please note that Flights by CelebritySM, previously known as ChoiceAir components are not subject to this cruise credit feature.

• Thanks 3

Ditto to concerns voiced about being more worried about testing positive and having trip and precious vacation time destroyed than about serious consequences of a Covid infection since we’re vaccinated and boosted.

What is the Covid protection which ends on 4/30 mentioned above?

We’re booked to sail from Southampton to Norway in July. Our flights are booked, to include allowing a week in UK before the cruise. Does anyone know if we can use the scheduled flights if we reschedule the cruise? I’m thinking I would rather spend two weeks in the UK.

• Like 5

We cruised in Dec. on Reflection no problem.  There were some cases (I heard around 150 but not sure) but they had no affect on us other than crew tended to be more strict in wearing masks toward the end of the cruise.  Would I like being quarantined in a OV rather than my balcony?  Nope.  But if you want to cruise, that's the risk you take.  But some here are saying they're afraid of being asymptomatic and testing positive.  If you're asymptomatic why would you test at all on board?   

The incidents of Covid on cruise ships are well lower than I ever would have suspected.  For me, I'll take the risk.  I want to cruise.  I'm tired of wasting my retirement at home afraid to go anywhere. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

We cruised in Dec. on Reflection no problem.  There were some cases (I heard around 150 but not sure) but they had no affect on us other than crew tended to be more strict in wearing masks toward the end of the cruise.  Would I like being quarantined in a OV rather than my balcony?  Nope.  But if you want to cruise, that's the risk you take.  But some here are saying they're afraid of being asymptomatic and testing positive.  If you're asymptomatic why would you test at all on board?   

The incidents of Covid on cruise ships are well lower than I ever would have suspected.  For me, I'll take the risk.  I want to cruise.  I'm tired of wasting my retirement at home afraid to go anywhere. Il

I was wondering this as well.  If you're boosted you shouldn't need to do any onboard testing, or at least that was my understanding.  

• Like 2

Papa flamingo I’m not sure if contacts of Covid positive passengers are tested. Moreover, as we all know, even after vaccination and booster, anyone can develop a trivial upper respiratory illness due to Covid, thus creating the moral obligation to be tested (e.g. Jet Blue). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tigerfnan23 said:

I was wondering this as well.  If you're boosted you shouldn't need to do any onboard testing, or at least that was my understanding.  

If you are identified by the ship contact tracing procedure as being exposed to a positive passenger, the staff will test you and possible isolate you in your cabin for 24 hours with a subsequent Covid test again the following day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

My daughter in law is claustrophobic and would never go on a cruise ship. You aren't afraid to sail?

Always a balcony cabin and you can always be outside any time you choose- -pools, bars, decks. Flying is more difficult. 

16 minutes ago, runningtide said:

If you are identified by the ship contact tracing procedure as being exposed to a positive passenger, the staff will test you and possible isolate you in your cabin for 24 hours with a subsequent Covid test again the following day. 

How do we know what the procedure is? 
is it being on a bus (more than likely but how far away) at a restaurant or just people they are travelling with? 

My issue is now the 1 day pretest in Italy. A long way to go and airfare paid to test positive there and have it all fall apart. Cannot use CWC as it requires 48 hour notice and Covid  assistance ends 4/30. You have zero protection in this instance,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

My issue is now the 1 day pretest in Italy. A long way to go and airfare paid to test positive there and have it all fall apart. Cannot use CWC as it requires 48 hour notice and Covid  assistance ends 4/30. You have zero protection in this instance,

Sorry - I know we’ve already had this conversation - but for the benefit of anyone else interested - travel insurance is your only option here.

And I might add, you have 0 protection even if you are able to go but test positive for the return flight home.

6 hours ago, odysee said:

opinions ?

Do you think they are stupid?  Do you seriously think they will leave suites and balcony cabins empty just in case they have to isolate someone?  If so, how many?  If you are traveling with someone and you test positive and your companion does not, do you think it is appropriate for each of you to have a suite? 

I would say they are well aware and that this is the risk you take. If you are unprepared to take the risk don't go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rachiem said:

And with the Covid Assistance ending at the end of the month too! 
To give up a suite to go to an OV with no partial refund is not acceptable IMO. 

Our 55th Annoversary is this coming June.  We had a Family celebration cruise booked for a  total of 16 with 8 grandchilden ages 13 to 23 booked in balcony cabins for July. Each cabin was specifically chosen on the same deck and location with 5 granddaughters having 2 adjoining balcony rooms and 3 grandsons in a triple balcony room. There was no way we were going to take a chance of possible isolations because of covid and our Family moved so we cancelled the entire cruise and have made new plans to celebrate!!

P.S. We will rely on the great memories from our 50th Anniversary cruise celebration.😍

• Like 1

I’ve Not read every post about COVID isolations, but I haven’t seen any examples of an Inside Cabin being used for isolation, so not sure why this is being repeated over and over, except to, say we say, Blow Things Out of Proportion, along with the misstatements that X isn’t providing some recompense for the isolations.

I’d rather go back complaining about not being able to bring on my favorite 10 cases of wine; my iron because people will point and laugh at my winkle in my t-shirt; can’t spend extended times in a laundromat in the middle of a vacation…..you know, fun stuff such as that!

den 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We were due to cruise out of Civitavecchia next month on the Edge. We were planning to spend almost three weeks traveling in Italy including a seven night cruise. 

We just felt that spending a lot of money and not being able to fully enjoy it was not worth it. We took the CWC guarantee and moved it to a cruise closer to home. At this time we won’t cruise for more than seven nights. Now we will be a short drive home if one of us becomes sick on our cruise. 

We didn’t like the idea of the testing requirements. Not worth the roll of the dice to be left standing at the port if you test positive trying to decide what to do and where to go or test positive the day prior to your flight. Italy will still be there in the future. I want my vacation to be a “vacation” and to try and relax as much as possible. 

Each person has to decide what works for them. There’s no right or wrong answer here. Some people will simply take the risk and I applaud those people and wish them a great trip. We just can’t do it. No one should be chastised for making the decision not to cruise right now which I have witnessed on this very board. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

What this actually does is deter people from being honest about their symptoms. People would rather hunker down in their own suite balcony and wait it out rather than get tested and isolate by themselves in an inside cabin.

Really? Anyone who would do this is so incredibly self-absorbed and self-centered without regard to staff and others they should, if found out, never be permitted to cruise on that line again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

There’s been a number of people (including me) who have posted that they contracted Covid connected to a cruise - has anyone heard of anyone becoming seriously I’ll or needing hospitalization. I think I read a post from someone whose spouse got sick after the trip and got treatment on land, but anyone else?

Edited by cangelmd

57 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

We were due to cruise out of Civitavecchia next month on the Edge. We were planning to spend almost three weeks traveling in Italy including a seven night cruise. 

We just felt that spending a lot of money and not being able to fully enjoy it was not worth it. We took the CWC guarantee and moved it to a cruise closer to home. At this time we won’t cruise for more than seven nights. Now we will be a short drive home if one of us becomes sick on our cruise. 

We didn’t like the idea of the testing requirements. Not worth the roll of the dice to be left standing at the port if you test positive trying to decide what to do and where to go or test positive the day prior to your flight. Italy will still be there in the future. I want my vacation to be a “vacation” and to try and relax as much as possible. 

Each person has to decide what works for them. There’s no right or wrong answer here. Some people will simply take the risk and I applaud those people and wish them a great trip. We just can’t do it. No one should be chastised for making the decision not to cruise right now which I have witnessed on this very board. 

I felt that way in 2020 but have come to accept that masking and pre/mid cruise testing is a fact of international travel anymore. With no end date in sight. We have taken an international trip and have another one booked. If those requirements go away, great. In the meantime, I'm done letting covid stop me from doing things I want to do and taking the trips I want to take. 

• Like 2