Afraid of Quarantaine/Isolation in OV or inside - consider cancelling ?

odysee

27 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

There have been zero practical suggestions made that make sense. Just some don't like the way it is because it doesn't suit them personally.  Contrary to what some think, it really isn't all about them.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. We are making our displeasure known here on the boards, by calling and talking to Celebrity, by talking to the officers and concierges on the ships and, in some cases, by cancelling our cruises and letting Celebrity know why. Isn't that how life works now? Everybody starts talking about a hashtag and, if enough people hashtag "#bringbacktheShamrockShake", McDonald's may listen to popular demand and bring back the shake. Well, we are paying thousands of dollars to cruise in an industry that is already rocked financially. Hopefully enough of us can question, complain and cancel to the point where the bigwigs at Celebrity do listen and make adjustments.

By the way, I would love it if they brought back the Shamrock Shake. 🙂

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

lol  don't cruise.  Don;t book a year in advance and them be start complaining because you opted to do so. You do not have some sort of inalienable right to be in a suite or veranda cabin even if you paid for it, because you took a risk and too bad it didn't go the way you wanted. It is not possible to make that kind of guarantee and keep the healthy passengers healthy. 

I disagree, I think a passenger does in fact have a right to either stay in the cabin they paid for or be fairly compensated for the accommodations in which they paid if the cruise line finds it necessary to move a passenger.  A passenger should receive compensation for the days they are unable to use the room they booked or be provided LKQ - Like, Kind and Quality in accommodations if they are required to move.  There is a risk to cruising, but no one is signing a waiver that if they get Covid they are giving up their rights to receive the product for which they paid and expected.  The cruise line knows the risks as well.  When people booked their cruise has no bearing on this issue.  

• Like 8

I think it's important to point out that the people on this thread who posted that these policies incentivize people to "hunker down and wait it out" instead of reporting their symptoms have not stated that people SHOULD avoid reporting symptoms, or that people with symptoms SHOULD walk around the ship infecting everyone.  Rather, they are saying that if the policies seem too draconian, SOME people will end up feeling that it's not in their best interest to report. 

Again, I (and the posters suggesting that this could happen) are not saying that it's a good idea to avoid reporting--just that X would do better to provide a pleasant quarantine experience, making it more likely for passengers with symptoms to report.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, ShelleyQT said:

I think it's important to point out that the people on this thread who posted that these policies incentivize people to "hunker down and wait it out" instead of reporting their symptoms have not stated that people SHOULD avoid reporting symptoms, or that people with symptoms SHOULD walk around the ship infecting everyone.  Rather, they are saying that if the policies seem too draconian, SOME people will end up feeling that it's not in their best interest to report. 

Again, I (and the posters suggesting that this could happen) are not saying that it's a good idea to avoid reporting--just that X would do better to provide a pleasant quarantine experience, making it more likely for passengers with symptoms to report.

Self report ? Like non 1099 income gets reported for federal taxes? Everyone on here needs to get real. Unless your really bad off only a few will self report their illness. 

Sailing on Thursday from Southampton on the Silhouette. I was totally freaked out about catching the virus and being quarantined in an ocean view cabin ( I do have real problems with confined spaces) but I have come to terms with this now because

1) The chances of catching the virus are reasonable low if I mask up really well  and am careful. No travel in elevators, no  shows, no port tours (open top local bus tour be great),  walk everywhere in port no sharing table in bars or restaurants. 

2) Took a virtual tour of an Ocean View and it's actually not that bad.  Big window. Unlikely I would be out on a balcony anyway as I will be ill.

3) If worst comes to the worst and I cannot deal with it I will disembark at the next port, shack up in a local hotel for a few nights and arrange a flight home (I'm British Isles) so cheap enough.  So longest confinement would be 1 day.  This is an unlikely scenario but in my mind is a safety valve.

If confined to an inside cabin I will leave at the next port.  That is something I could not deal with.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cruise52 said:

I disagree, I think a passenger does in fact have a right to either stay in the cabin they paid for or be fairly compensated for the accommodations in which they paid if the cruise line finds it necessary to move a passenger.  A passenger should receive compensation for the days they are unable to use the room they booked or be provided LKQ - Like, Kind and Quality in accommodations if they are required to move.  There is a risk to cruising, but no one is signing a waiver that if they get Covid they are giving up their rights to receive the product for which they paid and expected.  The cruise line knows the risks as well.  When people booked their cruise has no bearing on this issue.  

Note (again) the long standing policy that passengers in “quarantine “ or similar confinement will be reimbursed for nights missed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, farawayatsea said:

3) If worst comes to the worst and I cannot deal with it I will disembark at the next port, shack up in a local hotel for a few nights and arrange a flight home (I'm British Isles) so cheap enough.  So longest confinement would be 1 day.  This is an unlikely scenario but in my mind is a safety valve.

If confined to an inside cabin I will leave at the next port.  That is something I could not deal with.  

You will be taking your chances on what quarantine room the “next port” will have for you for however long they deem necessary.

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Possibly, but they are tested to so often and they were double masked in January, I think far more likely that this is between passengers.

"On April 4, 2021 a flight from Delhi to Hong Kong all passengers tested negative within 72 hours of departure. During the 3 week mandatory quarantine in Hong Kong 53 tested positive. This type of plane carries a maximum of 188."

So many of our service providers were whisked away for 5-10 days quarantine just for having close contact with a positive tested guest. 2 butlers, 1 room steward, 1 sommelier, 1 concierge on just one 7 day cruise. "We have met the enemy and they is us." Pogo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Virginia100 said:

Self report ? Like non 1099 income gets reported for federal taxes? Everyone on here needs to get real. Unless your really bad off only a few will self report their illness. 

So are you saying you cheat on your taxes and wouldn’t report a possible Covid sickness?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Viking doesn't have the same passenger load

Size doesn't matter, pax:crew ratio does.  While not quite as good as Viking's, Celebrity's is the lowest among all major lines.  The difference is that Viking added the necessary personnel to accomplish the task.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Virginia100 said:

There are honest people, even among cruisers, who actually try to follow the rules and observe common societal standards, like honesty and integrity. People who e.g. report their income, don’t try to smuggle banned items aboard, who would let Medical know if they feel sick so that others might be informed and a mass outbreak avoided. And then there are those who are self centered, think everything is all about them. Oh well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, luv4cruises said:

I feel the same way. I did cruise with confidence in Sept and Dec when Celebrity was sending Covid positive patients home in private transportation.  We’re scheduled to sail next week. Reading recent quarantine stories has me struggling l-cancel / go ????? I am claustrophobic. Being quarantined in an OV or porthole cabin would be detrimental to my health! There is no consistency in Celebrity’s  quarantine policy. Some ships are using balcony cabins. Celebrity needs to guarantee at a minimum quarantine in balcony cabin so their guests can return to cruising with confidence! 

We are quadruple vaccinated. 
Good Luck with your decision.

If this were the case those that booked ocean view staterooms would then get an upgrade if they came down with Covid and tested positive and got moved to a stateroom with a balcony for fresh air!  

1 hour ago, mauimary said:

If this were the case those that booked ocean view staterooms would then get an upgrade if they came down with Covid and tested positive and got moved to a stateroom with a balcony for fresh air!  

A good incentive for honesty and reporting maybe?  Those in suites and aqua move down slightly but would still be bearable having outside space. Less cancellations for Celebrity. everyone wins, or at least loses less. It’s not asking a lot to be accommodated for up to possibly ten days somewhere with access to outside space. Even prisoners have that right. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Would I like being quarantined in a OV rather than my balcony?  Nope.  But if you want to cruise, that's the risk you take.  But some here are saying they're afraid of being asymptomatic and testing positive.  If you're asymptomatic why would you test at all on board?   

If you’ve been in close contact with someone who tests positive you may be tested. There have also been tests required for all passengers on some longer cruises or cruises to ports of call requiring testing 

9 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

lol  don't cruise.  Don;t book a year in advance and them be start complaining because you opted to do so. You do not have some sort of inalienable right to be in a suite or veranda cabin even if you paid for it, because you took a risk and too bad it didn't go the way you wanted. It is not possible to make that kind of guarantee and keep the healthy passengers healthy. 

We are trying to have a vacation here not play roulette or blackjack! It shouldn’t have to be a ‘too bad situation’. If someone is unlucky enough to catch covid while onboard, at least a basic a level of care, food, medical attention and access to outside space  should be a minimum requirement when quarantined. This would keep everyone safe and at least bearable for the infected passengers involved.  I’m not sure why you would find this questionable? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, canderson said:

Viking does it daily on 'their' dime ... not that their fares don't cover it adequately, of course.

Saga cruises of the UK have been doing that on ships with outbreaks.  You really wouldn't want to go through this. Everyone on board was tested then something called a Code Quebec would be called where every single passenger was returned to their cabins until all the results were returned.  According to posters onboard this could be an hour or two at a time and effectively it was a ship wide lockdown. Passengers arriving on the ship's also received notification of the requirement to take only cruise line provided tours after boarding/sailing. Also if the covid cases onboard rose above the required limit for ports then Saga apparently happily offloaded them into hotels. One cruise became a mystery cruise as the ship wasn't allowed to dock where intended and other ports which would accept the ship were used.

Anyone can read the story as those on board posted on the Saga CC boards.

Not suggesting it will happen with Celebrity's ships but just an example of what a cruise line can and will do in these strange times.

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Saga cruises of the UK have been doing that on ships with outbreaks.  You really wouldn't want to go through this. Everyone on board was tested then something called a Code Quebec would be called where every single passenger was returned to their cabins until all the results were returned.  According to posters onboard this could be an hour or two at a time and effectively it was a ship wide lockdown. Passengers arriving on the ship's also received notification of the requirement to take only cruise line provided tours after boarding/sailing. Also if the covid cases onboard rose above the required limit for ports then Saga apparently happily offloaded them into hotels. One cruise became a mystery cruise as the ship wasn't allowed to dock where intended and other ports which would accept the ship were used.

Anyone can read the story as those on board posted on the Saga CC boards.

I've a friend just back from a Saga cruise and there was an outbreak, she tested positive as others in her group was and she was confined to her cabin for the last six days of a twelve night cruise.  This is what I fear too.  I'm on Azamara in June (smaller 690 guest ship) b2b and have a suite on each leg.  If one is quarantined you are moved to a deck 4 window cabin.  I'm pondering.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

10 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

I have no problem risking catching covid on a cruise

I have no problem testing daily.

I have no problem contacting the medical centre to say I feel unwell 

I have no problem being confined to a balcony cabin if I test positive 

BUT I have a real problem not knowing Celebrity’s policy before I board and where I may end up if I am positive. OV or even as I have read on Millennium in an inside cabin. 
Celebrity needs to be open and transparent about their covid policy, it’s not enough to say “well if you don’t want to take the risk don’t cruise”. If we all do that there will be no cruise ships in the future. Just be honest, transparent, so people can make an informed choice and maybe consider looking after the people who are the future for your industry. 

Absolutely word perfect summary. Thank you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I've a friend just back from a Saga cruise and there was an outbreak, she tested positive as others in her group was and she was confined to her cabin for the last six days of a twelve night cruise.  This is what I fear too.  I'm on Azamara in June (smaller 690 guest ship) b2b and have a suite on each leg.  If one is quarantined you are moved to a deck 4 window cabin.  I'm pondering.

Phil

Phil, do you know what type of cabin your friend was quarantined in? If Celebrity and Azamara are using OV cabins I’m just wondering if all cruise companies  are all adopting this policy? If so it will be land based holidays for us for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

I believe it was @jetblue in his post documenting his experience who said the Hotel Director stated the issue with balconies was due to pressurization.

While I understand that some Celebrity ships have been using balcony cabins, and it's definitely more desirable than inside or oceanview cabins this does make some sense to me.

Just last week on Constellation I was walking down the hallway and noticed the wind coming from the closed doors on at least 2 cabins on the hallway.   It was clear to me that the balcony doors were open in those cabins.  (nothing to do with quarantine, just people enjoying the balcony).

So the HD's explanation does make some sense to me.  Not that it makes an OV any more palatable.

• The CDC don’t see issues with pressurisation they support the use of balcony cabins. I suspect the hotel director is spinning a line to support their policy. 

• Selection of cabins for isolation or quarantine should consider the following:
    • Proximity to the medical facility and gangways for ease of patient transport
    • Location in dead-end corridors or low-traffic areas to minimize potential exposures
    • Spacing between other occupied cabins to reduce transmission risk
    • Absence of interconnecting doors to reduce accidental exposures
    • Positioning within view of security cameras for enforcement of isolation or quarantine
    • Presence of balconies for psychological morale

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/management/technical-instructions-for-cruise-ships.html

• Like 2