Afraid of Quarantaine/Isolation in OV or inside - consider cancelling ?

odysee

1 minute ago, Tyler414 said:

Not sure where you dreamed up this reply, I was simply stating it may encourage folks to not report felling ill...

what is the alternative? they take the risk when they decided to sail.

9 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

If that is the case....then don't sail. Very simple solution.

Yes and many booked passengers are now considering this.  However that is not the best solution for X to improve revenues either.  Therefore I think they need to look for better options.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, odysee said:

A lot of passengers book balcony especially because of Covid, thinking if we had to be quarantained we could stay in our cabin.  Because of this and because being slightly claustrophobic, I would never book OV or inside.

Probably just being naiv and thinking that as we are boostered and very unlikely to get very sick,  and as the second person is very likely to test positive a couple of days later anyway they could let us decide if

- we want to stay together in our booked cabin.

- or that positive person could stay there and the negative person move to OV as he can get out and move about at will.

Thought this could be organized as well if they are just willing.

The whole idea behind quarantine is not just cabins scattered wherever, it is clustering those quarantined cabins to so that the appropriate actions can be taken by staff to minimize the risk of spreading. That means,no...you don't get a choice.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

take a look...  why would you think other wise. You think you have a right to behave any way you like without repercussions, especially if is deemed your behavior threatens other passengers?

You are making some wild assumptions here. I do not put my faith in the ability to conduct contact tracing effectively nor do I 'believe' all test results (false positives.) Testing vaccinated/boosted passengers with no symptoms for something that is similar to a cold, is pointless in my opinion.  

That said, I was asking about contractual obligations, not personal opinions, so as to determine the risk to travel this summer. 

Take care. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Virginia100 said:

I believe what most are thinking like me is that with the 2nd booster shot the chances of getting seriously ill if no pre conditions is practically nil. But current practices are if you are positive and feel fine you are still quarantined and cruise effectively ends. I’m not particularly concerned with effects of being positive but ramifications of being positive: quarantine, flying back to the US, cost of isolating in a foreign country, etc.

Exactly 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I received my booster 3 weeks before the ship sailed. I became extremely ill for 6 weeks. I now have lingering problems called "long covid". 

What exactly is your point. Like many other people on this board do you think if you  contract covid, having been vaccinated, that the symptoms are minimal and therefore not an issue?

I assume you got Covid aboard ship? Not that it truly matters. I am sad that you have lingering issues. My symptoms a couple of weeks ago were moderate, but not minimal.

We have pretty much proven what CDC has said all along - ships are a very high risk environment for respiratory infections. I’m not sure cruising has a future if the experience has to change too much. Where I live, almost everyone has either had Covid or gotten vaccinated or some combo of both. Hospitalization rates and ICU rates especially, are very low. It’s not a bad cold, but getting close to a bad flu in terms of impact. That doesn’t matter to the person who has long Covid or ends up in the hospital, their experience is 100%.

Trying to get an idea of where we are on the road to endemic. If cruising has a long term future in a Covid endemic world, routine testing of non-symptomatic persons has to stop and symptomatic persons have to be incentivized to present for testing. I’m not sure cruiselines can survive half full and with passengers canceling at that last minute based on last weeks Covid numbers. I also don’t think cruising will survive with long term masking required - even though that would reduce transmission now.

Again, I’m sorry you have long Covid, but I think your tone is a bit too confrontational in response to my question.

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

I assume you got Covid aboard ship? Not that it truly matters. I am sad that you have lingering issues. My symptoms a couple of weeks ago were moderate, but not minimal.

We have pretty much proven what CDC has said all along - ships are a very high risk environment for respiratory infections. I’m not sure cruising has a future if the experience has to change too much. Where I live, almost everyone has either had Covid or gotten vaccinated or some combo of both. Hospitalization rates and ICU rates especially, are very low. It’s not a bad cold, but getting close to a bad flu in terms of impact. That doesn’t matter to the person who has long Covid or ends up in the hospital, their experience is 100%.

Trying to get an idea of where we are on the road to endemic. If cruising has a long term future in a Covid endemic world, routine testing of non-symptomatic persons has to stop and symptomatic persons have to be incentivized to present for testing. I’m not sure cruiselines can survive half full and with passengers canceling at that last minute based on last weeks Covid numbers. I also don’t think cruising will survive with long term masking required - even though that would reduce transmission now.

Again, I’m sorry you have long Covid, but I think your tone is a bit too confrontational in response to my question.

Your response is pretty much where I think. For cruising to survive the testing needs to stop, passengers with no symptoms are left alone and if you get sick enough to see the on board medical group it’s treated like a common sickness not the bubonic plague. Masking needs to optional everywhere not country specific. And the testing includes not just pre boarding but the remaining country entry ones like the US. This will upset some but cruising will never recover to being profitable under current conditions. 

To be real honest if cruise lines want to be  so secure in their sailings just require the booster for all passengers and those over 50 the second booster.  I’m up to date with Moderna and getting my 2nd booster with Phizer in July, before my August cruise.

Edited by Virginia100
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Virginia100 said:

Covid 19 assistance ends 4/30. I have nothing on an extension. 12 days to go. Anyone know different?

I have not heard anything different about the exact current program being extended.  I was commenting about your belief that Celebrity would force move an infected Suite/ Balcony passenger to an OV cabin on Deck 3 without any compensation.  I believe there would  be appropriate compensation.  

Edited by jagoffee

49 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

The whole idea behind quarantine is not just cabins scattered wherever, it is clustering those quarantined cabins to so that the appropriate actions can be taken by staff to minimize the risk of spreading. That means,no...you don't get a choice.

So why not have a quarantine floor of balcony cabins like most other cruise lines are doing? I too feel we need to reconsider our attitude to covid in light of current treatments, vaccinations and disease effects. As cangelmd inferred, under these restrictions cruising will never recover. Although I feel some people would prefer the infected wear a bell and shout unclean whenever in the presence of others. Time to move on after 2 years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, odysee said:

Yes and many booked passengers are now considering this.  However that is not the best solution for X to improve revenues either.  Therefore I think they need to look for better options.

This is a global public health issue. There are no good options that will set everything back to what was. Accept it or don't. Those are your choices.  It becomes incrementally better as time goes on, but is unlikely to return to the way it was before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

Sorry!! Why should I not sail?  I simply stated for passengers mental health in dealing with that situation a balcony would help. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

To be real honest if cruise lines want to be  so secure in their sailings just require the booster for all passengers and those over 50 the second booster.  I’m up to date with Moderna and getting my 2nd booster with Phizer in July, before my August cruise.

That would wipe out many of the cruisers from the UK. The second booster has just started for over 75 year olds. No idea when the younger folk will be able to get them. 😒

• Thanks 1

You have no basis whatsoever to say that.

I actually do since the crew are not swapped out every sailing the outbreak will likely  be passed from one sailing to another and the current silhouette outbreak likely came up from the crew to the passengers?

2 minutes ago, sunlover33 said:

So why not have a quarantine floor of balcony cabins like most other cruise lines are doing? I too feel we need to reconsider our attitude to covid in light of current treatments, vaccinations and disease effects. As cangelmd inferred, under these restrictions cruising will never recover. Although I feel some people would prefer the infected wear a bell and shout unclean whenever in the presence of others. Time to move on after 2 years. 

How exactly to you know what "most other cruise lines" are doing? How do you even know what exactly Celebrity is doing on any singe ship and any single sailing?  You don't.  Just because you are weary of the situation doesn't mean it's over.

• Like 2

I have every intention on continuing to cruise and abide by whatever the current Cruise Line policy is.  We have our 3rd post Covid cruise in two weeks and this will be the first one that masks are optional.  Some passengers don't like the optional policy but there again, it's your choice to go or not go.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Celebrity is not going to move you from a Suite to an OV cabin without any compensation

Why not? It is your fault you caught Covid? Good luck proving it wasn't your fault?

Edited by ace2542
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I actually do since the crew are not swapped out every sailing the outbreak will likely  be passed from one sailing to another and the current silhouette outbreak likely came up from the crew to the passengers?

I think your logic is flawed.  Even though everyone is tested, people who are negative today will have a few positives tomorrow. Testing preboarding is not a guarantee that everyone who boards is covid-free.  Staff on the other hand were quarantines on board for weeks before the ship sailed. They are likely infected by passengers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Do you know if you are determined to be a close contact if they can force testing on you?  What if you decline?

You can’t decline, you have accepted the terms and conditions set out in the conduct policy. The section on quarantine is deliberately vague. It needs to be made clear the conditions of quarantine so guests are able to make an informed decision to cruise or cancel. If I was moved from my suite to a balcony that I could live with,  but an IV or inside never. If there is no clarity before sailing I’m inclined to cancel. 

Guest Health, Safety, and Conduct Policy

Celebrity Cruises
(Last Updated: January, 2021)

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/conduct-policy

13 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Staff on the other hand were quarantines on board for weeks before the ship sailed. They are likely infected by passengers

And those infected staff likely spread it back up the chain to the passengers on the next cruise surely?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

And those infected staff likely spread it back up the chain to the passengers on the next cruise surely?

I've been reading your back-and-forth with Guppy and really don't understand your point. If someone is covid positive, they contracted the disease from someone. Good public health standards and good policy says that you try to find where the infection started. Thus, you contact trace. Which means that you test those who have recently been in close contact with the infected individuals. Which of course includes crew as well as other passengers. And if you were riding in a minivan with 8 others, not only will they be traced, but the driver will as well. The whole business of whether the infection spreads up from staff or down to staff is meaningless.

But as Guppy has noted, they live in more of a bubble than we do before and during their time onboard.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Doesn’t work that way. Read your Contract of Passage. If you do not cooperate or abide by terms, you can be disembarked at the earliest opportunity.

And until then, I'm sure they can detain you. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I've been reading your back-and-forth with Guppy and really don't understand your point. If someone is covid positive, they contracted the disease from someone. Good public health standards and good policy says that you try to find where the infection started. Thus, you contact trace. Which means that you test those who have recently been in close contact with the infected individuals. Which of course includes crew as well as other passengers. And if you were riding in a minivan with 8 others, not only will they be traced, but the driver will as well. The whole business of whether the infection spreads up from staff or down to staff is meaningless.

But as Guppy has noted, they live in more of a bubble than we do before and during their time onboard.

My point is it remains onboard in the staff from cruise to cruise? Should crews not be being switched out every time where possible?