Afraid of Quarantaine/Isolation in OV or inside - consider cancelling ?

odysee

5 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

There is no way the ship can contact trace random people coming in contact.  I have not heard of anyone being left at port on a B2B due to a negative test. 

You won't make all of the associations, but thanks to lists, interviews and a LOT of video, it's not that hard to get caught up in the procedure.

We have had plenty of first hand reports of passengers caught up in contact traces who were confined to their cabins for 2 days of negative testing, and only then let loose into the general population with masks afterward.

And yes, we have first hand reports of passengers who were on B2B cruises, got caught up in a contact trace, subsequently tested negative, and were still left at the pier at the 'turn' between their B2B legs because they could not answer "No" to the question regarding contact with a positive case in the last 14 days.  It happens. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

There is no way the ship can contact trace random people coming in contact.  I have not heard of anyone being left at port on a B2B due to a negative test.

I personally know of 2 groups.  I solo and 1 couple who were not allowed to continue on the second leg of their back to back after being identified as close contact and testing negative.

The ship uses an interview and seapass data to identify the patterns of the person testing positive then uses video and facial recognition to identify those "random" passenger whom the target passenger was in close contact with.   They then contact your stateroom, watch your seapass activity and send security with photo searching the ship to find you to test.

I have seen security with photos many times walking around the ship looking for people.

Facts learned onboard 9 Celebrity sailings July through 2 weeks ago.

On 4/18/2022 at 4:01 PM, papaflamingo said:

I am not positive, but if you are identified as in contact with someone who tests positive you'll be tested.  But again, our Dec. Reflection cruise had cases but we weren't in the least affected by them.  They were a very small percentage of the cruise (about 150 was what I heard), and it was never officially broadcast as to how many had Covid.

I can tell you that in the April 9 the sailing on the Apex, after my husband and I tested positive, our travel buddies were not tested and were told they would not test them unless they were symptomatic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

There is another thread about getting COVID on cruise “Getting COVID…” and they were isolated in their own Concierge Infinite Veranda SR. 

I was on the Apex on April 9th sailing and we were isolated in our stateroom, concierge level, infinity veranda after testing positive on day 5

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Unfortunately, I believe that both of these statements show that you are misinformed.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, tinaincc said:

The real issue is how positive cases are being treated now days when cases do not = over run hospitals or overrun medical centers on ship or on land. They are not giving you medical care.  Except for extreme and unusual cases, you are told to stay inside take tylenol and stay hydrated (this goes for land medical care as well, I know, I just had it.)

Here is another dread to watch out for. A gentleman on FB posted his bill, he felt ill on his cruise and reported to sick bay. He tested negative and was diagnosed with a sinus infection. His bill from the medical center was just about $3000. Had it been covid $ 0. Perhaps we should all bring our own home test kits with us before we visit sick bay ? Especially if not carrying insurance ?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Here is another dread to watch out for. A gentleman on FB posted his bill, he felt ill on his cruise and reported to sick bay. He tested negative and was diagnosed with a sinus infection. His bill from the medical center was just about $3000. Had it been covid $ 0. Perhaps we should all bring our own home test kits with us before we visit sick bay ? Especially if not carrying insurance ?

100% what we are doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Actually you do not have that right. Read your contract.

Since you are referring to the contract terms, why don’t you specifically cite the language you are referencing?  You seem to only want to argue with people.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, cruise52 said:

Since you are referring to the contract terms, why don’t you specifically cite the language you are referencing?  You seem to only want to argue with people.  

For what it's worth, you are currently afforded a full refund, prorated against the cost of the cruise fare, for the number of days you spend in isolation, which should answer your original question, and has been mentioned in these threads numerous times.

Well, you asked for it (sigh).  Google not working for you?

See red highlighted sections.

4. PUBLIC HEALTH, COVID-19 POLICIES AND PROCEDURES, KNOWING ACCEPTANCE OF THE RISKS: a. Recommended Consultation with Personal Physician. Passengers are encouraged to discuss the advisability of travel with their personal physicians and to review the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (“CDC”) website for updated information. The CDC has identified elderly persons and persons with certain chronic medical conditions as being at increased risk of life-threatening complications from being infected with COVID-19. PASSENGER ACKNOWLEDGES, UNDERSTANDS AND ACCEPTS THAT WHILE ABOARD THE VESSEL, IN TERMINALS AND BOARDING AREAS, OR DURING ACTIVITIES ASHORE AND/ OR WHILE TRAVELING TO OR FROM THE VESSEL, THE PASSENGER OR OTHER PASSENGERS MAY BE EXPOSED TO COMMUNICABLE ILLNESSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO COVID-19, INFLUENZA, COLDS AND NOROVIRUS. PASSENGER FURTHER UNDERSTANDS AND ACCEPTS THAT THE RISK OF EXPOSURES TO THESE COMMUNICABLE ILLNESSES AND OTHERS IS INHERENT IN MOST ACTIVITIES WHERE PEOPLE INTERACT OR SHARE COMMON FACILITIES, IS BEYOND CARRIER’S CONTROL, AND CANNOT BE ELIMINATED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. PASSENGER KNOWINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY ACCEPTS THESE RISKS AS PART OF THIS TICKET CONTRACT, INCLUDING THE RISK OF SERIOUS ILLNESS OR DEATH ARISING FROM SUCH EXPOSURES, AND/OR ALL RELATED DAMAGES, LOSS, COSTS AND EXPENSES OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER. b. Agreement to Abide by Current COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures are subject to guidance and directives of established health authorities in the U.S. and other destinations where the Vessel visits, including the CDC and other international, national and local health agencies when the Vessel is within those agencies’ jurisdiction. Passenger acknowledges that these directives may change from time to time and that Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may therefore change. Passenger expressly agrees to comply not only with the COVID-19 Policies and Procedures as they are described herein, but also as they are set forth on Carrier’s website at www.celebritycruises.com, at all times including pre-embarkation, while onboard, during port calls and shore excursions and/or final disembarkation. In case of any conflict between the COVID-19 Policies and Procedures described herein or on Carrier’s website, the website governs. Passenger’s agreement to abide by Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures constitutes an integral part of this Ticket Contract. c. COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Passenger understands that Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may or will include (but are not be limited to): (1) providing an accurate, truthful and complete health questionnaire in a form and containing any and all health or travel-related questions as required by Carrier in its sole discretion, for each Passenger prior to boarding; (2) pre-embarkation and/or periodic testing and temperature checks of each Passenger; (3) modified capacity rules for activities (including but not limited to restaurants, gyms, and entertainment events onboard and for shore excursions) which may limit or eliminate the ability of Passenger to participate in particular activities; (4) mandatory use by each Passenger (except where medically contraindicated) of face coverings in most
locations outside of the Passenger’s cabin while onboard, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions; (5) mandatory social distancing of Passengers at any/all times while on board and during embarkation, disembarkation, and shore excursions; (6) additional restrictions during shore excursions depending on local conditions, including but not limited to denial of disembarkation at destinations unless participating in only Carrier-approved shore excursions; (7) mandatory hand-sanitizing by Passenger upon entry or exit of any public areas; (8) confinement of Passengers to cabins, quarantine or emergency disembarkation of Passenger if, in Carrier’s sole discretion, such steps are necessary to prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19; (9) the required completion by Passenger in a timely manner of any written authorizations or consent forms required for Carrier to carry out its COVID-19 Policies and Procedures (including but not limited to medical information, medical privacy, or personal data privacy consent forms), and; (10) other policies and procedures deemed by Carrier in its sole discretion to be necessary to reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19. Passenger acknowledges that: (i) Carrier’s Privacy Policy for Health Protection Measures (“Health Privacy Policy”) is an integral part of Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures; (ii) the Health Privacy Policy has been made available to Passenger; and (iii) Passenger agrees to the terms of the Health Privacy Policy. d. Mandatory Compliance with COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Notwithstanding any other provision contained herein or in Carrier’s Refund Policy, any noncompliance by Passenger or members of Passenger’s travelling party with Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract shall be grounds for refusal to board, refusal to re-board after going ashore, quarantine onboard the Vessel, disembarkation, reporting to governmental or health authorities, or other steps deemed necessary in Carrier’s sole discretion under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, Passenger shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Passenger will be responsible for all related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses and for proper travel documentation for any port, or for departure from or arrival to Passenger’s country of residence. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable for any damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger as a result of such denial of boarding, refusal to re-board, quarantine, disembarkation, or other steps taken by Carrier.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As of May 1st, 2022 the celebrity covid coverage expires. Lets let that sink in. Any customer travelling and needs to get a covid test 2 days prior to sail date and gets a positive result cannot board the ship and cannot cancel the cruise. Therefore you will lose money paid. Royal Caribbean who is the parent company has already extended the coverage till next year. Lets let that sink in. Celebrity as of this writing has not and after speaking with Celebrity on the phone they do not know if they will.

All I am looking for is for Celebrity to extend the cancellation coverage if you test positive prior to the cruise. If you decide to still go the rest is on the customer. Without this assurance from Celebrity I will not gamble with the $4500 I have paid.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Not wise to be traveling without insurance in the midst of a worldwide pandemic...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevetod said:

As of May 1st, 2022 the celebrity covid coverage expires. Lets let that sink in. Any customer travelling and needs to get a covid test 2 days prior to sail date and gets a positive result cannot board the ship and cannot cancel the cruise. Therefore you will lose money paid. Royal Caribbean who is the parent company has already extended the coverage till next year. Lets let that sink in. Celebrity as of this writing has not and after speaking with Celebrity on the phone they do not know if they will.

All I am looking for is for Celebrity to extend the cancellation coverage if you test positive prior to the cruise. If you decide to still go the rest is on the customer. Without this assurance from Celebrity I will not gamble with the $4500 I have paid.

That's why you get travel insurance, which you should have anyways when cruising due to the potential of any number of medical/accident issues happening during your cruise that could cost you thousands if not insured.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

Not wise to be traveling without insurance in the midst of a worldwide pandemic...

Not wise to be traveling without insurance no matter what the situation.  Pre-covid had to cancel a European cruise 10 days before sailing due to illness. Without insurance we would have lost almost $8000.  

• Like 3

• Colorado

I don’t question that a refund for quarantine would be due if placed in mandatory isolation, especially if someone was taken from their cabin to a lower category cabin,  (Suite to inside cabin). there are others on this board disputing that passengers are entitled to equal accommodations at the very least or a pro-rated refund of cruise fare if placed in mandatory isolation.  Please read my post as I didn’t pose a question but merely pointed out that it isn’t a “too bad for you” and “the cruise line owes you nothing” if you get Covid.  

For what it's worth, you are currently afforded a full refund, prorated against the cost of the cruise fare, for the number of days you spend in isolation, which should answer your original question, and has been mentioned in these threads numerous times.

1 hour ago, cruise52 said:

Canderson beat me to it.  You book a cruise for thousands of dollars and don't even read the contract? You have no idea what rights and freedoms you have surrendered and then you complain bitterly about it?  I don't want to argue. I do expect adults to accurately read what they sign up for and to understand the logistical challenges a cruise line faces, instead of whining about me..,me...me

• Like 2

So, how much of a risk-taker are you?  Do you read your contract, get insurance or just do your own thing?

Bottom line is that cause and effect is reality.  Only you can decide the issue in real time with info' available at that moment.  Yes, it is and has been a huge learning curve for all of us that care to pay attention...these discussion are important for clarity and decision-making.

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

Canderson beat me to it.  You book a cruise for thousands of dollars and don't even read the contract? You have no idea what rights and freedoms you have surrendered and then you complain bitterly about it?  I don't want to argue. I do expect adults to accurately read what they sign up for and to understand the logistical challenges a cruise line faces, instead of whining about me..,me...me

You assume a lot don’t you.  I never said I didn’t read the contract but simply asked you to cite the portion of the contract that you believed was contradictory to the opinion I expressed.  Second, I never complained, whined, or consider that I am surrendering my freedoms because I book a cruise.  I disagreed with your commentary, analysis, and rude posts.  Cruise lines face challenges like many industries, but they are well aware of the challenges, they collect a hefty fare, and yet choose to sail knowing full well of the exposure.  Contract law is subject to interpretation and interpretation is not always aligned among the parties.  What matters is what the ruling party or judge interprets.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Can you give me some examples? I have not seen that anywhere.  Also we did a cruise on Reflection in Dec.  There were about 150 positive cases throughout the 7 night cruise and we saw absolutely no evidence other than it was announced.  No mass testing, no mandatory masking, no cancellations of anything.  So I can only speak from personal experience and what I have personally read. 

There are many threads here about testing during cruises of 15 days or more and for entry to certain ports. Hawaii is one example. I seem to recall some in Europe as well. Here is one recent one. I believe the same poster shared about their experience with testing during a Panama Canal cruise around the holidays

9 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It’s not exactly the way to encourage people who may feel sick to come forward. I know some on here bang on about the terms of the contract and we are all perfectly capable  of reading and understanding this. But it seems very clear to me there is no consistency with the way Celebrity is handling covid 19 cases onboard various ships, and before someone  jumps on my post to say that Celebrity cannot due to varieties of numbers etc. There can and should be some consistency,  for example it appears some Captains are announcing covid cases onboard, some are not. Some ships quarantine passengers in balconies some in ocean view, some passengers are being charged exorbitant fees for reporting symptoms if not covid, but want people to come forward to report any sickness. I would like to know who exactly is making these decisions. Individual captains or some land based administrative body because there is no written policy it seems to be made on the hoof. 
If Celebrity really want to encourage people to cruise why not be consistent with their handling of covid onboard. If they want to put people in OV just be open straight about it. If they plan to charge medical fees then inform people of this before they report. Some risks I’m happy to take, but I’m not prepared to play roulette with the vagaries of not knowing exactly  what I’m signing up for.

Edited by sunlover33
  • Like 9

As far as medical center fees are concerned I believe they will give you a complementary exam if you report with symptoms consistent with covid.  I would imagine the passenger with the $3000 medical bill for sinus infection agreed to some sort of treatment and was billed accordingly.   Yes if it was covid there should have been no cost under the current policy.

I agree with others.  That's what medical insurance is for.  My insurance doesn't cover me outside the US that's why I have a separate annual travel policy with high limits.

7 hours ago, Torfamm said:

There are many threads here about testing during cruises of 15 days or more and for entry to certain ports. Hawaii is one example. I seem to recall some in Europe as well. Here is one recent one. I believe the same poster shared about their experience with testing during a Panama Canal cruise around the holidays

What was the reason given?  And this is certainly not the norm.  One can always find an exception to the rule.  This is not policy fleet wide, may have been due to destination port.  Our cruise in Dec. cancelled San Juan because they changed the rules that a negative test within 3 days had to be performed and we'd be more than 3 days since we had our pre-cruise testing.  So rather than testing the whole ship, the port was cancelled.

Again, this is a fluid situation highly impacted by local rules. Not the normal rules of the cruise line. 

Edited by papaflamingo

16 hours ago, RichYak said:

Unfortunately, I believe that both of these statements show that you are misinformed.

Rather a harsh statement.  I consider myself quite informed thank you.  And yes, I have now been "informed" of a few people who weren't able to continue on a B2B and of 1 case of Princess testing the entire ship.  The dates of those events were missing as was the reason for the ship testing.  But to listen to many here, it appears that the belief is that this has been happening routinely when indeed, it has not.  We can always find an exception.  Do you want me to post about the people removed off a B2B because they got Norovirus on the first cruise?  Or ships that returned to port early because of Norovirus outbreaks?  

In all honesty if you zero in on one or two cases you wouldn't leave your house.  I tend to go with the norm.  The norm is that all B2B's will go as planned, few cases of Covid will occur.  The entire ship won't be tested.  That's the norm.