Mariner of the Sea hit by another Ship in port at Grand Bahama Island

34 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

Unfortunately i think you should start making back up plans….

I don’t think people should make back up plans!! There is a team of people working hard on this already and I am sure Royal would be doing everything to have this inspected and repaired in the absolute shortest time possible. I am on a BTB at the end of this cruise and I have no concerns. I trust Royal and am sure it will all be fine. We are in the right spot for any maintenance to be done and get this fixed in the shortest stone possible. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, mattnorris75 said:

I don’t think people should make back up plans!! There is a team of people working hard on this already and I am sure Royal would be doing everything to have this inspected and repaired in the absolute shortest time possible. I am on a BTB at the end of this cruise and I have no concerns. I trust Royal and am sure it will all be fine. We are in the right spot for any maintenance to be done and get this fixed in the shortest stone possible. 

I appreciate your updates and insights, matt.  If they don't cancel your next cruise, I'll see you on board Saturday.

• Like 3

Ok so it does look like that is the only damage thankfully! You can still walk around the aft on deck 4. I’ve attached some photos from deck 4 looking up to deck 5. Looking over the stern of our ship there is no visible damage to Mariner other than where the bridge wing of the other ship hit. 

Still no official update but hopefully just some welding and painting and it will be fixed quickly. So for any future cruisers, I think it will all be ok!! Please don’t spend time stressing or making other plans. 

I really hope my post hasn’t caused distress to future cruisers. That was certainly never my intent. I only posted it as this is a rare event to witness and wanted to share it as we have a common interest in cruising. It was distressing to witness being hit, but I am glad that the damage doesn’t appear to be as bad as first thought.

Once I hear of any further details from the Captain or anything like that I will post a further update. 

8112331E-C791-4BEE-ADCA-31F3BFB9240E.jpeg

7464EC98-71C2-49FE-9369-30B8DDB6C614.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

If you are going to have a ship glance by and do some superficial damage,  a shipyard you own a joint stake in isn't a bad place for it to happen.

By the looks of it, it was well above the waterline and pretty minor relatively speaking.  There will be some mandatory inspections but all in all it doesn't look that bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mattnorris75 said:

I think you came along at the perfect time to alleviate some anxiety of future Mariner passengers. From the pics alone I gotta agree with you, doesn't look like anything worth cancelling any cruises over. Enjoy!!

• Like 3

I recall sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas many years ago and it had a big dent on the starboard side forward just above the waterline after an encounter with a dock.  They touched up the paint and continued to sail until they were able to get permanent repairs done.

17 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I recall sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas many years ago and it had a big dent on the starboard side forward just above the waterline after an encounter with a dock.  They touched up the paint and continued to sail until they were able to get permanent repairs done.

Empress had a big dent after continuously banging against the dock during a tropical storm in Bermuda.

Grandeur had a break on deck 10 starboard above the pool towel station.

16 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Just curious so where would you estimate the location of the damage in this picture?

image.png.147f199180e715fbc62ad7a8a82620ff.png

I would say at the end of the large oval opening on deck 5 (the one without the circular opening at the end), down towards the deck 4 (promenade) deck opening.

16 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Many ships go to the graveyard with dents and ripples in the hull, that are  not considered to affect the strength of the hull enough to require repair.  It is left to the ship owner to decide if they want to fix the "cosmetics" or not.  If the dent does not have a severe crease in it, it is frequently left in place until the next scheduled drydock.

A repair in this area does not need a shipyard, or even time out of service as the NCL Escape needed, as others have suggested.  It will most likely be blocked off until a repair can be made (likely in a week) at the turn-around port, where a few welders and a dock arm is all that is needed to fix it.  They will likely tarp the area to reduce the sparks flying and welding flash, and get the damaged section cut out and the replacement section tacked in place in port, and then if necessary finish the welding while at sea.  Does not even require much, if any, survey after the repair.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Another_Critic said:

Hopefully Mariner was legally parked.  👌

Doesn't really matter, in an allision, a maritime term for one moving object striking a stationary object, the moving object is always responsible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

And it ruined a perfectly good port day in - - - oh, wait, it's Freeport. Never mind.

A comedian on one cruise said when he woke up on the morning of arrival in Freeport, looked outside, and thought he was back in Bayonne - except for a few palm trees.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, mattnorris75 said:

Agree with Chenkp75 reply further below. Just above the “of the” words 2 openings up. 

Can you look down and see if the "duck tail" has any damage.  I was thinking it was the outboard end of that opening, but being closer to centerline the duck tail may have gotten scraped.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Can you look down and see if the "duck tail" has any damage.  I was thinking it was the outboard end of that opening, but being closer to centerline the duck tail may have gotten scraped.

No I had a look over the stern and all is complete and intact at the waterline. Looks like the only impact was deck 5 thankfully. 

• Like 1