Unfortunately, that's one and done for us.

Blackduck59

We really wanted to be wowed by our cruise on Viking Orion, unfortunately we weren't.

Having read many glowing reports and looking at the helpful posts and camaraderie among the regulars on the Viking board we felt confident we had made a good choice with Viking. We paid the premium price expecting a step above our excellent experience with Celebrity.

I understand that Viking has no control of the sea state but Orion seemed to be fairly unstable even in a moderate sea. She was not just rockin' and rollin' but shaking and rattling (no I'm not talking about the entertainment). I now better understand the concern of another member during their recent trans Atlantic voyage although I surmise the sea state for them was even worse. Yes I understand weather on the Pacific Coast so crappy weather was always possible even probable. Again, nothing Viking could do.

I had expected exceptional service from all crew but it just seemed that we were invisible (and I'm a big guy) to the servers much of the time. When someone did stop to ask if we wanted anything all crew were very courteous and cheerful. Celebrity had a "system" with the drink menu whether it was laying down or standing up. We tried both ways...no joy. If there is a system on Viking I wish I had gotten the briefing.

Food quality and variety in "The Restaurant" and "World Cafe" were okay but certainly not outstanding. One glaring thing was just how "crusty" the buns were in the bread basket, very hard. For what should be a fine dining experience in the restaurant I was struck by the lack of care in plating the meals, everything was splocked on the plate akin to Chucks Diner. I's not like they were in a rush, the 2 times we ate dinner in "The Restaurant" it took well over an hour. The world buffet was okay as well but nothing was outstanding.

Scheduling of "Entertainment" seemed strange to me. Trivia in the theatre at noon? Musicians starting to play in the lounges at the beginning of dinner service? Meanwhile there is literally nothing laid on in the afternoon (except afternoon tea). 

I will say that our 1 dinner in Manfredi's was excellent. Starting right upon arrival at the host station we felt like valued guests. All our food selections were wonderfully prepared. The included wine suited us fine although I did request the Grahams 6 grapes port to finish (that wasn't necessarily an easy thing to get)

I don't want to make this an extra long opening post so feel free to ask questions or add your own comments. For us this cruise did not represent good value for the $8,000.00+ CAD that we paid for a 9 day voyage (actually 8 because we disembarked a day early in Victoria)

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

For us this cruise did not represent good value ...

Interesting - we came to Viking from a different mainstream line and could not have been happier with the value equation, largely based on what we perceived as continuing degradation of service on the old one - but that's why there are multiple cruise lines!

It's always useful to hear a contrarian view - thanks for the post, and hopefully you won't attract too much flame 😈.  Cheers 🍺🥌.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CurlerRob said:

Interesting - we came to Viking from a different mainstream line and could not have been happier with the value equation, largely based on what we perceived as continuing degradation of service on the old one - but that's why there are multiple cruise lines!

It's always useful to hear a contrarian view - thanks for the post, and hopefully you won't attract too much flame 😈.  Cheers 🍺🥌.

I welcome differing views, I would think there were people on the same cruise I was on who had a totally different take with their experience and have become or will continue to be Viking loyalists and that's okay too.

• Thanks 1

Granted, Viking is not for everyone.   Sorry you didn’t have the same experience that most of us have had.  Sounds like Celebrity is more suited to your preferences and that’s okay.  Sometimes our expectations get the better of us.   Hopefully your next cruise won’t be so disappointing.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Blackduck I agree with CurlerRob except our first experience was with Viking so we have nothing to compare it to. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and I hope this isn’t the last we see of you on this board

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, millybess said:

Blackduck I agree with CurlerRob except our first experience was with Viking so we have nothing to compare it to. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and I hope this isn’t the last we see of you on this board

Cheers @millybess, I'll be around from time to time if I feel I can add to the conversation. We are looking at an New England and East Coast Canada, so far Holland America is the front runner mostly for the itinerary which includes a stop in Newfoundland. I guess we'll find out if we like that line, the upside is it won't cost us nearly as much per day to find out,

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

We really wanted to be wowed by our cruise on Viking Orion, unfortunately we weren't.

Having read many glowing reports and looking at the helpful posts and camaraderie among the regulars on the Viking board we felt confident we had made a good choice with Viking. We paid the premium price expecting a step above our excellent experience with Celebrity.

I understand that Viking has no control of the sea state but Orion seemed to be fairly unstable even in a moderate sea. She was not just rockin' and rollin' but shaking and rattling (no I'm not talking about the entertainment). I now better understand the concern of another member during their recent trans Atlantic voyage although I surmise the sea state for them was even worse. Yes I understand weather on the Pacific Coast so crappy weather was always possible even probable. Again, nothing Viking could do.

I had expected exceptional service from all crew but it just seemed that we were invisible (and I'm a big guy) to the servers much of the time. When someone did stop to ask if we wanted anything all crew were very courteous and cheerful. Celebrity had a "system" with the drink menu whether it was laying down or standing up. We tried both ways...no joy. If there is a system on Viking I wish I had gotten the briefing.

Food quality and variety in "The Restaurant" and "World Cafe" were okay but certainly not outstanding. One glaring thing was just how "crusty" the buns were in the bread basket, very hard. For what should be a fine dining experience in the restaurant I was struck by the lack of care in plating the meals, everything was splocked on the plate akin to Chucks Diner. I's not like they were in a rush, the 2 times we ate dinner in "The Restaurant" it took well over an hour. The world buffet was okay as well but nothing was outstanding.

Scheduling of "Entertainment" seemed strange to me. Trivia in the theatre at noon? Musicians starting to play in the lounges at the beginning of dinner service? Meanwhile there is literally nothing laid on in the afternoon (except afternoon tea). 

I will say that our 1 dinner in Manfredi's was excellent. Starting right upon arrival at the host station we felt like valued guests. All our food selections were wonderfully prepared. The included wine suited us fine although I did request the Grahams 6 grapes port to finish (that wasn't necessarily an easy thing to get)

I don't want to make this an extra long opening post so feel free to ask questions or add your own comments. For us this cruise did not represent good value for the $8,000.00+ CAD that we paid for a 9 day voyage (actually 8 because we disembarked a day early in Victoria)

Good post there young Lyle, without being rude was the $8k Canadian $ per person or for both?

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Good post there young Lyle, without being rude was the $8k Canadian $ per person or for both?

That was for both of us Les, but there were "gratuities" and a few "not included" drinks on top of that. We had paid for a couple excursions but they were both cancelled so they were credited back to us which meant our on board account only came to less that $75.00 in the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

That was for both of us Les, but there were "gratuities" and a few "not included" drinks on top of that. We had paid for a couple excursions but they were both cancelled so they were credited back to us which meant our on board account only came to less that $75.00 in the end.

Cheers, Lyle.😁

I sail both Viking and Celebrity.  Is Viking worth three times the price of Celebrity?  Probably not.  I enjoy both but understand your criticisms. I think all cruise lines staffing is still suffering from Covid.  I thought the Viking staff was very friendly but somewhat inexperienced in some areas.  

• Like 2

As a former Celebrity  cruiser, I prefer Viking.  Smaller ship, nicer staterooms, understated elegance and comfort in the public spaces. Aquavit bar and outside seating area reminds me of the Sunset bar area on the  Celebrity M  ships.  Service on both lines  always met my expectation.

I was on the Orion back in July  and crew and the  officers were outstanding.  Always out and about asking if you needed anything.  Maybe  there is a crew turnover recently   and you got a more inexperience  crew on your sailing

Thank you for your  review and sorry you were did not have the best cruise  in site of your terrible weather. 

I do plan on sailing  Celebrity  next winter , out of Tampa  on the Constellation for a short winter getaway.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I sail both Viking and Celebrity.  Is Viking worth three times the price of Celebrity?  Probably not.  I enjoy both but understand your criticisms. I think all cruise lines staffing is still suffering from Covid.  I thought the Viking staff was very friendly but somewhat inexperienced in some areas.  

That much disparity in pricing? 

26 minutes ago, duquephart said:

That much disparity in pricing? 

$6000 vs $2000 for regular veranda.  Maybe not always that much.  But at least double for same cabin.  Viking does include some extras (coffees, some alcohol) so it is difficult to make an exact comparison.  

8 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

$6000 vs $2000 for regular veranda.  Maybe not always that much.  But at least double for same cabin.  Viking does include some extras (coffees, some alcohol) so it is difficult to make an exact comparison.  

You can but a lot of coffee and alcohol for $4000!

• Like 1

So much of the price disparity depends on the cruise you’re taking.  We have found the best values in Transatlantics. Based on as close to an apples to apples comparison we can make, Viking has cost between $15 and $30 per person per day more than Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. We determined that for us, the lack of children, free wifi, included Nordic suite, bringing on liquor, and the wine/beer/soda at meals makes it a good value FOR US. Part of what helps to lower Viking’s cost is the onboard credit our TA provides (max allowed by Viking) which covers the daily service charge for both of us and leaves a little bit for cocktails.  On the other lines we typically can only get $150 or $200 per cabin obc. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

So much of the price disparity depends on the cruise you’re taking.  We have found the best values in Transatlantics. Based on as close to an apples to apples comparison we can make, Viking has cost between $15 and $30 per person per day more than Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity. We determined that for us, the lack of children, free wifi, included Nordic suite, bringing on liquor, and the wine/beer/soda at meals makes it a good value FOR US. Part of what helps to lower Viking’s cost is the onboard credit our TA provides (max allowed by Viking) which covers the daily service charge for both of us and leaves a little bit for cocktails.  On the other lines we typically can only get $150 or $200 per cabin obc. 

You didn't figure "wine/beer/soda at meals" into your "apples to apples comparison?"

6 minutes ago, duquephart said:

You didn't figure "wine/beer/soda at meals" into your "apples to apples comparison?"

Since I don't drink alcohol, it is not a priority to me but, yes, that does have value.  I also like the specialty coffees.  Very hard to make true apples to apples comparisons of cruise line.  Viking also includes internet which has value.  And the included shore excursions.  

On the negative side, having to pay in full a year or more in advance is a definite negative.  

Edited by basenji56
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Even $100 more a day makes Viking a better value, yes.  Only $30 a day extra makes it a true bargain.

• Like 1

It’s your vacation.  Spend your money where it works for you.  We’ve done Viking river and ocean, and we’re planning an expedition cruise in August.  For us, Viking’s no kids, no photographers, no “nickle & diming”, beautiful new ships, free internet, no crowds, included spa, and included drinks, make it the line we want to travel with.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Interesting post.   We are Celebrity cruisers trying out Viking for the first time, going on the Viking Star in March as we liked their Panama Canal itinerary.   

The idea of a much smaller ship and what we saw on You Tube of the ships themselves is exciting to us.   Your food and service comments are intriguing, so I guess we will need to wait and see and assess for ourselves.   

So your next Celebrity cruise is?       

First impression is everything, isn't it?  We loved our one and only Viking cruise and felt the intrinsic values provided by Viking aren't matched by mass market lines.  We loved it so much that we booked another Viking cruise for late 2022, albeit a river cruise.

Back to first impressions...  DW and I have a "never again" cruise line - Celebrity.  We did a short weekend cruise on Celebrity to the Bahamas, and it did not live up to the reputation (or hype) purported on CC.  We chalked it up to "paying the tuition" and vowed not to spend more money with them.  We'd be upset if we had spent 8 grand and the cruise was not to our satisfaction.

When looking at the cruise cost one must add in the "gratuitity" since it is, essentially, a mandatory service fee. Lots of folks fail to take that into account. If you can't "buy" the cruise for the advertised price then the advertised price is bogus.