Fake tan / leg make up

Hello,

I like to fake some colour on my (very white) legs in the summer, it also helps cover spider veins. I'm not looking to get a deep tan, just a little colour.

I usually use the Jergens lotion that builds up over a few days, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a fake tan or leg make up product that has more instant colour? Being in hot tubs/pools/ocean tends to make the colour disappear fast, and the daily lotion type of self tanner doesn't really work well if you are in water like this every day. I'm not too worried about having the colour while I swim, but I like a little colour when I wear my skorts and dresses!

I've seen Sally Hansen Airbrush legs has a product in a spray can & a lotion, and that there are some instant sunless tanning products - just wondering if anyone has tried any and has recommendations?

Thank you!

I've been a Jergens user for years.  Tried some others but the scent overtook me (St Tropez for sure).  I have a trial size of Isle of Paradise self tanning mouse that I have to try.  The Sally Hansen does sound interesting though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 57redbird said:

I can't attest to the staying power but I really like St. Tropez Whipped Marshmallow -- doesn't turn me orange & smells good.

When I tried St. Tropez Classic, I had to get up and take a shower and change my sheets - the smell was overwhelming and gave me a headache.  Glad it doesn't do that for you.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

When I tried St. Tropez Classic, I had to get up and take a shower and change my sheets - the smell was overwhelming and gave me a headache.  Glad it doesn't do that for you.

UGH!

• Like 1

Maybe not really what you're asking, but last summer I got a spray tan; not the kind where you go into an automated booth, but the kind where a technician hand-sprays you 🙂 I was quite happy with the results. 

2 hours ago, ams1130 said:

Maybe not really what you're asking, but last summer I got a spray tan; not the kind where you go into an automated booth, but the kind where a technician hand-sprays you 🙂 I was quite happy with the results. 

I've never tried a spray tan,  what's worried about the colour! How does a spray tan hold up to being in water?

8 minutes ago, britincanada said:

I've never tried a spray tan,  what's worried about the colour! How does a spray tan hold up to being in water?

The salon I went to had a range of colours to choose from. I went fairly light; my daughter wanted her money's worth lol so went darker. I found it quite natural looking. We weren't in ocean water so I don't know if that makes a difference, but it lasted for a week or so with lake swimming. Hope that helps 🙂 

37 minutes ago, ams1130 said:

The salon I went to had a range of colours to choose from. I went fairly light; my daughter wanted her money's worth lol so went darker. I found it quite natural looking. We weren't in ocean water so I don't know if that makes a difference, but it lasted for a week or so with lake swimming. Hope that helps 🙂 

Thank you! I will investigate further!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was a longtime fake home tanner.  Somewhere in my fake tan journey I learned to use sunscreen when swimming with a fake tan.  We should ALL use sunscreen anyway, but some website recommended using it to preserve your fake tan when swimming.  It did help as I recall.  I haven’t been “faking” it the past year or so though.  I am semi retired now, so I have time to return to my girlhood days of “laying out” LOL.  It gives me enough color to not look like Casper.  But I am not completely opposed to wearing a pair of panty hose if my legs need more help! 

• Like 3

I found an Australian product called Bronze Babe, which I used last summer.  Less orange-y than Jergens, which I tried for many years.  It is also less likely to come off on towels than Jergens; however, I still hesitate to use any on a cruise, with only white towels in the cabins.

• Like 2

I prefer Sally Hansen lotion to the aerosol spray.  It cover imperfections without making a mess in the bathroom.  I can apply an extra coat over my veins.   Washes off the next day.

• Like 1

I like the Jergens lotion and use it!  Just a piece of advice on spray tans (IMO, for myself).  Oh, dear, I got one a few years back and was never able to enhance my tan on the ship or get any darker.  It almost seems like the spray tan created a barrier.  

Just wanted to update - I bought Sally Hansen leg make up lotion in light, tried it out today and I'm happy with it. It reminds me of a product I used to buy many years ago in the UK called No7 Barely There Stocking Cream, adds some color and helps hide my veins.

Thanks all for sharing ideas!

• Like 2

If you're not planning to swim, this stuff is amazing. You buff it on just as you would face colour. I really like it for legs.

Laura Geller Baked Body Frosting

I once got a spray tan and it was really nice and even. I got the tan in the evening and when I woke up the next day the colour had 'matured' and it was a lot darker than I expected. Not really a bad thing - just a surprise. 

8 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

If you're not planning to swim, this stuff is amazing. You buff it on just as you would face colour. I really like it for legs.

Laura Geller Baked Body Frosting

I once got a spray tan and it was really nice and even. I got the tan in the evening and when I woke up the next day the colour had 'matured' and it was a lot darker than I expected. Not really a bad thing - just a surprise. 

Thank you - I am planning to be in the water on our trip. This looks good though for when I'm not planning to be in water.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, britincanada said:

Hello,

I like to fake some colour on my (very white) legs in the summer, it also helps cover spider veins. I'm not looking to get a deep tan, just a little colour.

I usually use the Jergens lotion that builds up over a few days

I call this "knocking the white off".  

I like Jergens too; I find that every other day in summer is just about right. 

• Like 1

I have what look like spider veins that were caused by infected mosquito bites.  I use Dermacol on my face, the back of my hands, forearms, and my legs.

Dermacol is a cover-up, and a little goes a long way.  I buffer it with a lotion, but make sure it's not water based, because Dermacol is waterproof, and won't mix with gels.  A very light layer on darker areas works perfectly, and the discoloration goes away.

You have to work with it, to get it right, but it's wonderful.  On my lower legs I will put a pea size amount, mix well with lotion, cover ALL my skin from knees to toes (if I'm wearing sandals).  Then, I will go back with a make-up sponge and dab the darker areas again individually.

You want the darker areas to get LIGHTER, so you match your skin tone, and use a little more on the dark spots.  I wear very, very little make-up, and mostly use Dermacol to even out the spots to match the skin.  

$15 on Amazon.  I have very fair skin and use #208, which is an ivory.  #209 has more pink in it.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, britincanada said:

Thank you pcur!

You're welcome! 

It's pretty amazing stuff, but practice with very little to begin with.  There are Youtube videos about it, too.  Almost everyone puts on too much to begin with.  If I'm in a hurry, I will just use the make-up sponge and dab the dark spot:  back of my hands, cheeks, leg spots.  Washes off easily with soap and water, including clothes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Coconut Water Mousse in medium.  I am pasty white.  I really liked that all it did was “knock off the white”!  It smelled slightly of coconut, nothing strong.  I used a mitt to apply it. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I use Jergens every couple days in summer to be able to wear shorts. They have one for fair skin.

If I am doing a formal dinner or wedding I use the Sally Hansen for fair skin (I'm a ginger) on my legs and it does help cover my spider veins and sun damage (I'm in my 60's).

The Sally Hansen does have the potential to rub off so it is something I do for a dinner and then scrub with a washcloth in the shower before getting into white sheets.

I have used St. Tropez and it is a nice brown color (not orange) but is a little trickier to apply--make sure you exfoliate and scrub your knees and ankles well. Advantage is that you see how much color is going on as you apply it. Rodan + Fields tanner is pretty nice and not smelly--worked well and not orange.

I have also done spray tans with varying results. One was way too dark for my skin and the soles of my feet were stained!

I always, always use sunscreen and avoid sun exposure---skin cancer and MOHS surgery is no fun, plus you don't want to end up with your face looking like a handbag.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I realize I am replying a bit late to this thread, but I recently (this past summer) found Bondi Sands at Target (I like the foam) and it gives me the most natural color when applied with the mitt on clean skin. Certainly not orange. I don't mind the smell either. I usually use light/medium and it's perfect for covering veins and lightening the white! 

Agree with sunscreen and hats as well. 

• Like 2