TOO much ambiguity, we just cancelled 8/1 APEX trip

tinaincc

Unfortunately the event of the last few days and Celebrity’s complete lack of transparency, we have cancelled our August 1 APEX cruise (Amsterdam RT). The final straw was the recent posts from those quarantined and those tested and quarantined against their will. We chose to put our money where our mouth is and hope that Celebrity will read these boards. 

We have already had Covid but with these new, more mild strains, we were concerned that we could test positive and be quarantined outside of our paid cabin and outside the country. This happened to a friend this Summer so it became something that I could not justify the risk. Especially since we were looking at a 12 day cruise. The thought of deck 3 or worse was too much.

Im hoping these rediculous rules change soon. We couldn’t risk making our final payment on May 3 with so much ambiguity.

Safe travels to you brave one’s that continue on.

• Like 14

It is unfortunate that the signs of the times continue to play a critical part in the decisions we make pertinent to our vacations. Certainly, the only right choice is what works best for each of us and as long as we are comfortable with the decisions we make and the chances we take, all is well. 

DW and I have five cruises planned between May 2022 and March 2023 including Europe, the Caribbean and Antarctica. We are prepped and ready to go. For us, the time has come, to raise the roof and have some fun...all night long. We are cruising with eyes wide open and realize that we have done the most that we can do. Hopefully, that is enough to see us through.       

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

I totally understand. We cancelled our first cruise in 2 years that was the end of Feb. our TA was so mad at us that he screamed at me in the phone. Needless to say he is history. We are going on the Solstice in Alaska.. yes, it does concern me, but we will do our best to be cautious. 

• Like 1

Just curious, what are “the events of the last few days” to which you refer? 

For myself, I try to be mindful and cautious, trying to avoid being infected with Covid. It may happen to me anyway, at home or while traveling. In either case, I expect to be under some form of quarantine/isolation for a period. I would rather be in quarantine in a Deck 3 cabin aboard a ship than in my spare room at home. Better room service on board I am sure! And in either location I’ll have my iPad loaded with dozens of unread books.

Hopefully you will have the chance for a visit to Iceland some time in the future…

4 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Unfortunately the event of the last few days and Celebrity’s complete lack of transparency, we have cancelled our August 1 APEX cruise …

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I would rather be in quarantine in a Deck 3 cabin aboard a ship than in my spare room at home.

I suspect there are many, myself included, to whom this makes no sense.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mikewomb said:

I totally understand. We cancelled our first cruise in 2 years that was the end of Feb. our TA was so mad at us that he screamed at me in the phone. Needless to say he is history. We are going on the Solstice in Alaska.. yes, it does concern me, but we will do our best to be cautious. 

Not sure but think might have had the same TA.  He berated us for cancelling cruises during this fragile time. Told us I don't get paid if you don't sail. Not exactly a warm relationship.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

Not sure but think might have had the same TA.  He berated us for cancelling cruises during this fragile time. Told us I don't get paid if you don't sail. Not exactly a warm relationship.

I had used this guy for multiple years. He was a real jerk. If people don’t feel like cruising, then so be it. What part of keeping a customer do people not understand, and it is worse now than ever.

We were ready to jump in to book having read earlier threads on Celebrity sailings.

I have monitored many sailings and reports on the individual roll calls pre and post sail date.

I have NO intention of reserving a suite ( we are fortunate we only sail suites at our age), only to be removed to an OV or worse, with difficulty communication needs. Being transferred to a hotel in some port is also is not in my game plan.

The reports of waiting for meals; no communication from ship management etc. tell us: Common Sense prevails and hopefully we will sail again.

We are so happy for all who sailed safely and returned without Covid.

For those who did-your shared experiences have served to educate so many to make their own choices.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Unfortunately the event of the last few days and Celebrity’s complete lack of transparency, we have cancelled our August 1 APEX cruise (Amsterdam RT). The final straw was the recent posts from those quarantined and those tested and quarantined against their will. We chose to put our money where our mouth is and hope that Celebrity will read these boards. 

We have already had Covid but with these new, more mild strains, we were concerned that we could test positive and be quarantined outside of our paid cabin and outside the country. This happened to a friend this Summer so it became something that I could not justify the risk. Especially since we were looking at a 12 day cruise. The thought of deck 3 or worse was too much.

Im hoping these rediculous rules change soon. We couldn’t risk making our final payment on May 3 with so much ambiguity.

Still wondering, what are you alluding to “in the last few days”. And, now rereading your post, I am curious what rediculuos rules you are objecting to. It is hard for me to understand your point with these vague assertions… Can you provide specifics?

Stan

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Still wondering, what are you alluding to “in the last few days”. And, now rereading your post, I am curious what rediculuos rules you are objecting to. It is hard for me to understand your point with these vague assertions… Can you provide specifics?

Stan

I think you can find extensive discussion of issues the OP is referring to in the 30 page thread by jetblue. I think the OP has the same concerns many have about the uncertainty of how you will be treated if you test positive or if you get isolated if a close contact. The thread is worth reading if only to demonstrate jetblue's handling of his quarantine with major aplomb.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

It is hard for me to understand your point with these vague assertions

It's only hard if you haven't visited this Celebrity board in the last few weeks or if you simply choose to be obtuse.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I think you can find extensive discussion of issues the OP is referring to in the 30 page thread by jetblue. I think the OP has the same concerns many have about the uncertainty of how you will be treated if you test positive or if you get isolated if a close contact. The thread is worth reading if only to demonstrate jetblue's handling of his quarantine with major aplomb.

Thanks, I appreciate a bit of clarity (even from a Jayhawk!) I’ll look for that thread. I have seen several where people got all hysterical because OMG they were found to be positive and couldn’t cope with their obligations to fellow passengers. But I am still wondering what specifically the OP was alluding to. Very frustrating when people don’t clearly state what their issue is and leave us to try and read their minds.

Part of my reaction to the “uncertainty “ concerns is that, so what. Stuff will happen, we will cope. I do realize others may not be as willing to adapt to circumstances.

Stan

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It's only hard if you haven't visited this Celebrity board in the last few weeks or if you simply choose to be obtuse.

That is just rude. The request to elaborate shows a desire to understand. Your comment implies that people who aren't immersed in every thread or who are new to the forum don't deserve an explanation. Not everyone follows the OP's comments. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, tinaincc said:

How could this happen to your friend this summer while summer and cruising in Europe from Amsterdam have not even begun? And if you are an American in Europe the quarantine will always be outside your country….

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Life is a gamble and there’s insurance for it. 

No insurance is going to save my sanity when moved to deck 3!

10 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Just curious, what are “the events of the last few days” to which you refer? 

For myself, I try to be mindful and cautious, trying to avoid being infected with Covid. It may happen to me anyway, at home or while traveling. In either case, I expect to be under some form of quarantine/isolation for a period. I would rather be in quarantine in a Deck 3 cabin aboard a ship than in my spare room at home. Better room service on board I am sure! And in either location I’ll have my iPad loaded with dozens of unread books.

Hopefully you will have the chance for a visit to Iceland some time in the future…

Read JetBlue’s thread. Also, changes from Celebrity’s policy.

10 hours ago, RichYak said:

I suspect there are many, myself included, to whom this makes no sense.

Agree!

9 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Stan

Testing someone who goes to the gift shop for cold medicine and threatening him to be off boarded if he doesn’t comply is one “rule” that I don’t agree with. Also moving passengers to deck 3 vs a balcony cabin or allowing them to stay in their paid cabin type is another, should I go on?

6 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

How could this happen to your friend this summer while summer and cruising in Europe from Amsterdam have not even begun? And if you are an American in Europe the quarantine will always be outside your country….

My friend and I, along with our spouses were sailing Crystal in the Bahamas in July. She was quarantined in Nassau. The implication that I am either stupid or lying is offensive. 

23 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

No insurance is going to save my sanity when moved to deck 3!

Read JetBlue’s thread. Also, changes from Celebrity’s policy.

Agree!

Testing someone who goes to the gift shop for cold medicine and threatening him to be off boarded if he doesn’t comply is one “rule” that I don’t agree with. Also moving passengers to deck 3 vs a balcony cabin or allowing them to stay in their paid cabin type is another, should I go on?

My friend and I, along with our spouses were sailing Crystal in the Bahamas in July. She was quarantined in Nassau. The implication that I am either stupid or lying is offensive. 

Ok, so it was last summer and not in Europe…

Everyone has their own view on the issue.  You refer to ridiculous rules while I refer to them as prudent rules.  

The only reason I have cruised since Covid (and have future cruises booked) is that I feel Celebrity is doing it’s best to keep passengers safe.  

I applaud you for doing what you feel is best for you. Hopefully you’d applaud Celebrity for doing what’s best for other passengers.  

• Like 10

11 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

...I would rather be in quarantine in a Deck 3 cabin aboard a ship than in my spare room at home. Better room service on board I am sure! And in either location I’ll have my iPad loaded with dozens of unread books....

Ya got a point there..... But I'd still rather stay in my balcony cabin with my wife! Didn't someone say "misery loves company"? 😎

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Unfortunately the event of the last few days and Celebrity’s complete lack of transparency, we have cancelled our August 1 APEX cruise (Amsterdam RT). The final straw was the recent posts from those quarantined and those tested and quarantined against their will.

I only have issue with this statement.  People know what the stakes are and the rules when they board.  Ridiculous to some, but still the stated rules and obligations.  So it cannot be "against their will".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I only have issue with this statement.  People know what the stakes are and the rules when they board.  Ridiculous to some, but still the stated rules and obligations.  So it cannot be "against their will".

I don’t think people are aware of the fact that they can buy medicine from the gift shop and that could trigger them to be force tested and quarantined in their cabin for 24 hours.