Crown Princess propulsion issues again

rrshinn

8 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Algebra. 

If the distance between two ports is D miles and the time available to sail between them is T hours, then the speed achieved by the ship must be greater than or equal to D/T. 

The ship must arrive at Victoria by 7pm the day before the end of the cruise.  This is effectively non-negotiable.  So the distance she can cover prior to that is limited by the time she departs the previous port and the maximum speed she can reach under current mechanical conditions. 

Order of magnitude, it’s 900 miles between the mouth of glacier bay and the pier in Victoria.  The ship has to clear glacier bay at 3pm on Wednesday and be in Victoria at 7pm on Friday.  This is a span of 51 hours (time zone shift included). 

If they sail at a constant speed of 17.6 statute miles per hour, they can do so.  If they stop for three hours in Hoonah as the current plan, they have to make 18.75.

If they go to Ketchikan and stay the customary six hours, the situation worsens.  Leaving Ketchikan at 3pm Thursday they have 27 hours to go 625 miles.  That would require a speed of 23 mph  aka 20kts, which is towards the upper end of the range of this ship in perfect condition. 

it’s not a vast conspiracy.  It’s just maths 

You are all some smart people ! I know nothing about speed and  engines and things like that but I was thinking to myself because I googled the distance between glacier Bay and Icy, is 60 something miles and if it’s only traveling at a max speed of 12 miles an hour let’s say how the heck could they leave glacier Bay at 3 PM and get  to icy at 5:30 same day ? My guess is they will dump icy and head straight for Victoria 

im on May 14  ( as long as all goes well ) we will see

Edited by denversees4me
  • Like 1

It depends where you measure Glacier Bay from. My suspicion is they count from the ranger station at Point Gustavus, which is where the bay technically begins, rather than from the face of Margerie Glacier at the end of the bay.  So if you’re starting at the mouth of the bay, it’s only 22 nautical miles to Icy Strait Point.   

AA73EEA0-C1F9-4D27-A9BD-C993864433F3.png.08a0aa17dec252c3a921f0fc904015b5.png

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OKCruiseMan said:

Question. With reduced engine performance, will this impact the use of stabilizers? Going slower is one thing but swaying back and forth would be worse.

Sorry if already discussed. 

Speed does affect stabilizer performance, but at the 10-12 knot speeds she is currently maintaining, they will work fine.  Speed also affects the rolling motion of the ship, as it reacts with the speed of the waves.  Below about 6 knots, the fins will automatically retract, as there have been incidents where the fins were left extended when the ship docked, with resulting damage to the fin.  So, at slow speeds, the system thinks the ship is docking and retracts the fins.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The only good thing is a lot of people are jumping ship and maybe, just maybe the cruise will sail with less passengers.   Being spoiled by sailing with 50% capacity on the Majestic in October, I kind of like the less crowded spaces.   

But cruising along at 10 knots is like going on the Storybook Land Canal Boat ride at Disneyland....

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 5.31.59 AM.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Speed does affect stabilizer performance, but at the 10-12 knot speeds she is currently maintaining, they will work fine.  Speed also affects the rolling motion of the ship, as it reacts with the speed of the waves.  Below about 6 knots, the fins will automatically retract, as there have been incidents where the fins were left extended when the ship docked, with resulting damage to the fin.  So, at slow speeds, the system thinks the ship is docking and retracts the fins.

I guess I thought they may decide not to use them to put less strain on the engine. 

2 minutes ago, OKCruiseMan said:

I guess I thought they may decide not to use them to put less strain on the engine. 

The thought that they don't use stabilizers to save fuel, or power, is really pretty much a myth.  The fins don't add significant drag, especially when they can dampen roll, and a rolling hull presents more drag to the water than a couple of fin stabilizers.  Its just like folks think stabilizers can stop rolling.  The relative amount of force that can be generated between the small fins and the tens of thousands of tons of the ship itself tells you that's impossible.  Fins merely slow rolling to a more comfortable motion.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Would stabilizers be able to reduce fuel usage on cargo ships? 

Not really.  The displacement of cargo ships is so much greater than cruise ships (the largest cargo ship ever built could lift 3 Oasis class cruise ships) that the force generated by the fins would be even less on cargo ships.  Also, the metacentric height of cargo ships is much lower than cruise ships, so cargo ships tend to roll much more slowly than cruise ships, so the motion is slower.  Also, going back to the displacement difference between cargo ships and cruise ships, the additional area presented by a rolling cargo ship hull is a smaller percentage than a cruise ship rolling to the same angle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2022 at 1:24 PM, Eaglecw said:

Princess knew of these problems long before it was announced. We made all of our excursion plans and Princess springs this BS on us so most of our excursion plans are out the window. Stopping at Hoonah/Icy Point is like tossing a bone to your dog. What are you going to do for 3 hours in Hoonah? By the time you get off the ship it'll be time to get back on. I'm happy we could switch over to the Discovery. This will be our 18th cruise to Alaska.

Is there a cost to switching over to the Discovery? Having issues with their customer service in getting a straight answer. We don't sail until August. 

The Crown is scheduled to do the 28 day RT to Tahiti in November 2022 and March 2023. I read skepticism in previous posts that these propulsion problems can be fixed in the October dry dock. It sounds like something to be concerned about. 

3 hours ago, KruzPrincess said:

The Crown is scheduled to do the 28 day RT to Tahiti in November 2022 and March 2023. I read skepticism in previous posts that these propulsion problems can be fixed in the October dry dock. It sounds like something to be concerned about. 

Since I haven't seen a definitive answer to what the problem is, I don't understand how folks can have any idea whether it can be fixed or not.  If you have some information about the problem, please link it for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sjde said:

So the May 7th sailing ended up cutting out Juneau and adding Ketchikan back in? What about May 14 and May 21? And did they still go to Icy Straight Point? 

There are some “Live” threads for the 14th and 21st sailings.

8 hours ago, sjde said:

So the May 7th sailing ended up cutting out Juneau and adding Ketchikan back in? What about May 14 and May 21? And did they still go to Icy Straight Point? 

May 21st sailing:

Saturday, May 21 Seattle, Washington 4:00 PM
Sunday, May 22 At Sea
Monday, May 23 Juneau, Alaska 4:00 PM 10:00 PM (changed to 6 pm arrival)
Tuesday, May 24 Skagway, Alaska 6:00 AM 8:30 PM
Wednesday, May 25 Glacier Bay National Park (Scenic Cruising) 6:00 AM 3:00 PM
Thursday, May 26 At Sea
Friday, May 27 Victoria, British Columbia 7:00 PM 11:59 PM
Saturday, May 28 Seattle, Washington 7:00 AM

Why is it that Carnival Corp. ships seem to have more propulsion problems than anyone else, and they are always on the same ships? The Vista now also has propulsion problems for the 2nd or 3rd time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 9:37 AM, deliver42 said:

Why is it that Carnival Corp. ships seem to have more propulsion problems than anyone else, and they are always on the same ships? The Vista now also has propulsion problems for the 2nd or 3rd time.

The issue is not with Princess but with the ship builder Fincantieri.  This ship was a lemon since she was launched. A year does not go by but we hear of another 

Fincantieri built ship with major problems. 

Edited by Me by the Sea

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 10:03 AM, sjde said:

Coral- So you didn’t/ aren’t going to Icy Strait Point?

We did not go to Icy Strait Point and we got half of the the time in Juneau with all but 2 or 3 shore excursions cancelled due to the limited time there.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:24 AM, Me by the Sea said:

The issue is not with Princess but with the ship builder Fincantieri.  This ship was a lemon since she was launched. A year does not go by but we hear of another 

Fincantieri built ship with major problems. 

Could be; but, I think it's more lack of maintenance on Carnival's part. Nonetheless, after this issue on Princess and many on CCL (where I'm at diamond level), I'm going back to MSC where I've already booked two cruises.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LovetheSea said:

After hearing how many issues Crown Princess is having, we changed over to the Discovery Princess from our August cruise. Leaving one day later. They were very nice and accommodating at Princess customer service. 

We did the same thing...and had the same experience. We were not charged a cancellation fee.

• Like 1