Discovery Princess April 29th Coastal

ceilidh1

On 4/29/2022 at 10:49 AM, ceilidh1 said:

It is separate from the platinum seating area and that is separated from the general seating area. I’m not sure if suite is somewhere else or with elite- it doesn’t make that clear on the signage. Within the elite lounge they are boarding by letter group. We have group A. I saw a few come in with group F. It’s pretty chilly in here with huge fans as well as air con.

I can answer that!! We were in a suite on the previous cruise and Elite & Suite were all in the same room. Once boarding was announced by the rep waving a boarding card at the front of the room EVERYONE crowded to the door regardless of which group they were in.

15 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Day 3 patters and testing info for return to US and disembark info

E87EB963-6F0A-41CF-9A75-5F5F350BAE6D.jpeg

We didn't get one of these for the end of our cruise...I wonder why?

Just got luggage tags w/info for where to go. We do walk-off, so went to Pax Svcs & got it changed.

DS didn’t want to get off the ship so I dropped him at kids club and booked an Uber to take me to Metreon Centre. First Uber canceled on me. Second Uber canceled on me. Third Uber was a lovely lady who told me that many of the drivers will no longer pick up from cruise ships as they are worried that passengers/crew have Covid! 

The Metreon Centre has a huge Target (sorry, but I miss target living in Canada) and I spent a lovely hour wandering around and got a few bargains. Such a beautiful day that I decided to walk back to the ship. It’s an easy half hour walk (no hills) and I checked out the farmers market and stores at the ferry building on the way back. 

B08DCEF6-D402-4796-A711-8B537C91B8B6.jpeg

45FF017A-F75E-47B8-BE7A-07811677A1F1.jpeg

F71154F3-E416-4A4B-B132-B88F1FE60ECC.jpeg

FC52BCBF-A3B0-4670-B9F8-9B8A6454D3E7.jpeg

437D6869-2DE2-4A86-8D03-96328E2AC39A.jpeg

48CE1888-979B-4D91-B709-C00F75E36C2B.jpeg

• Like 10

22 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Also, when I try to view what’s on using the new, improved medallion class app (and if I hear the term medallion class sailing one more time I swear I will throw myself off the ship) this is all I get. Every. Time.

D67A032F-13F5-4C85-AA1E-3F838359E34D.png

try logging out and logging back in using the quick access and your Room Number.   It worked for us. 

Lunch at Gigis outside on the “patio”. If I were a cruise ship designer, I would make those windows one solid pane of glass without the rail and steel pillars. 

Vegetarian pizza for me and margherita for DS

3B6BA617-5AB9-4E3C-ABA5-E2665CF52D21.jpeg

C4BCBDF5-2FCB-41C1-A792-5364B034B6DC.jpeg

BE251184-1BB1-4148-B5F7-0E2ECDBF4370.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So, just catching up while we are in port in San Francisco.  Since we live so close, we are staying onboard and enjoying the perfect weather from our balcony. 

We are enjoying the cruise immensely … it’s the second half of our B2B and we will be disembarking in Vancouver on Wednesday.  Wish we could stay onboard for an additional 4 days.  
we have a midship obstructed balcony on deck 8.  No obstruction whatsoever unless you look straight down.  We re above Sur La Mer and last week, the music from the deck below 2as obviously loud but a message on Crew Chat fixed that issue.  The only other issue we’ve had is that our toilet was leaking a bit … a crew chat message was sent and it was fixed within the hour.  Wow!  Great feature!  

So, for all the good stuff … our cabin is wonderful and in a great location.  I’d book it gain in a heart beat.  Our room steward is top notch!  
The service everywhere on the ship has been outstanding!  The food, with very few exceptions, has also been excellent.  
The ship is drop dead gorgeous!  I love the layout and all the little nooks for sitting to have a coffee or drink.  
The entertainment is phenomenal.  We absolutely raves about both production shows, Rock Opera and Starlight Bar!  Of note, there are no try’s or drink holders in the theater.  I think that is a great idea.  Aileen and Sticks are a most awesome duet and Darren Dowler, will be in the theater tonight. 

We are so happy to be entertained by such wonderful performers. 

There are quite a few less passengers on this sailing the previous one, which is so nice.  We’ve been spoiled with such low capacity since the return to service … good for the cruiselines, though. There are still some obvious supply shortages but nothing that has bothered us too much.  
There is no Vines on this ship but the Crown Grill Bar and Crooners are lovely substitutions.  The crew even helped to locate seats for us during packed performances.  ❤️
The Crown Grill Bar has some nice wines but just switched over from the Wheelsouse Bar last week.  There are no longer wine flights available.  It’s still a nice relaxing place to enjoy a glass of wine, nonetheless.  All wine is now served in nice glasses … wow!  That’s so great … hope that policy lasts a very long time.  

There are nice touches a board … soap and lotion is now all in dispensers.  Paper invites are no longer the norm .. I love the efforts to not use so much paper.  They don’t print out the photos but have them available in the photo shop digitally.  They don’t service the passenger cabins twice daily, which is excellent for us!  We never want for anything!  
The process for the In Transit passengers was so organized.  There were almost 250 of us and I think we were off and back on the ship in less than 15 minutes.  

• Like 5

On 4/30/2022 at 3:25 PM, ceilidh1 said:

A few pics from sailaway. Just a small, personal whine (sorry)…I MUCH preferred the old sailaway parties where it was just the cruise staff leading the cheesy dances and all the guests dancing on the open deck. These newer “staged” ones are ok, but nowhere near as fun ms not as much atmosphere (just my opinion - can you tell I don’t deal well with change?)

34C7B689-5CBB-4D85-B692-AD50B0D50EDB.jpeg

4514AEF7-D078-4673-A506-E4934E6C591A.jpeg

B575F35C-2C5A-434C-8C89-124F391FF899.jpeg

8548AE5F-A7BE-4087-BD53-9E1EEFAE06E8.jpeg

D79F53AA-4485-4E0D-9BFD-E4DF2882B9DB.jpeg

BB178DB9-5593-4EB4-8290-31775BDA803B.jpeg

Totally agree with you about the sail away parties. I really enjoyed the old ones that were actually dance parties. We were on the first two Discovery sailings b2b, and when they brought out Fortuna Luck to promote the bingo program, we left the “party”. 

Edited by Knittinkittin
Typo

On 4/30/2022 at 3:30 PM, ceilidh1 said:

Also, when I try to view what’s on using the new, improved medallion class app (and if I hear the term medallion class sailing one more time I swear I will throw myself off the ship) this is all I get. Every. Time.

D67A032F-13F5-4C85-AA1E-3F838359E34D.png

When we where onboard a few weeks ago, I got this every time I tried to access Journeyview on the app for the whole cruise. It worked well on the screens by the elevators though. Still prefer the Patter, where you can see everything at a glance. 

On 4/30/2022 at 3:54 PM, ceilidh1 said:

I would have agreed with you but then I sailed with Matt O! Prior to that, no one made n impression enough to make me choose a sailing because of them. I suspect no one will again!

I thought DuVall was very good, but in my opinion no one compares with Matt O. Never will. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Knittinkittin said:

Totally agree with you about the sail away parties. I really enjoyed the old ones that were actually dance parties. We were on the first two Discovery sailings b2b, and when they brought out Fortuna Luck to promote the bingo program, we left the “party”. 

My high school drill and song teams put on a better performance, and that was back in the 70's!

15 minutes ago, Knittinkittin said:

I thought DuVall was very good, but in my opinion no one compares with Matt O. Never will. 

No one will ever be Matt O. Miss him so much just got off the Discovery 1 week ago, sure wish Matt was on the cruise

5 minutes ago, trafficgirl124 said:

No one will ever be Matt O. Miss him so much just got off the Discovery 1 week ago, sure wish Matt was on the cruise

Completely agree and I'm not one who particularly cared who the CD, Captain etc. would be on our upcoming cruises until Matt.  Does anyone know where he landed?  Did he move to another line or is he pursuing his dreams on dry land?

44 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Completely agree and I'm not one who particularly cared who the CD, Captain etc. would be on our upcoming cruises until Matt.  Does anyone know where he landed?  Did he move to another line or is he pursuing his dreams on dry land?

He is home in Bristol, UK currently. He is back to working retail for the short term and went back to art college. He is still figuring out what he wants to do in his next career path!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The Crown Grill Bar has some nice wines but just switched over from the Wheelsouse Bar last week.

It was the Crown Grill Bar on 3/27 when we boarded the inaugural cruise. 🙂 I like it better than on earlier Royal-class ships.

image.thumb.jpeg.0315e381e775c3188bba8b61fbfc4a60.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

5 hours ago, tiggerrr said:

We decided we’ve been to San Francisco enough that we’re going to spend the day on the ship. Found a quiet corner of the Wake View Bar area to curl up with a book. 

03EBC771-955D-40A8-92BD-C4B669CBD184.thumb.jpeg.296c36645947bc1769ee1917ab69e242.jpeg

Spent the afternoon in the pool and hot tub and then early dinner reservations at Ketchikan dining room. 

Banana rum soup and Prime Rib with Yorkshire Pudding for me and Mac n Cheese for DS. I’m not sure about soup - it was good but more of a dessert! Prime Rib was a perfect medium rare but as a Brit who grew up with roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding every Sunday, the Yorkshires didn’t make the cut!

Dessert was banana, chocolate, rum tart and a lemon meringue cheesecake. Both were excellent! DS created his own sundae of blueberry sorbet, pineapple sauce, and whipped cream. He claimed it was great, but I’m not convinced!

153CE2D0-B310-4972-8E6E-9C037E245E3B.jpeg

183846EE-6DC3-4E32-8BDB-B5BD5E6606E1.jpeg

691DDFAD-9504-4176-B8A8-B39AC204AF39.jpeg

AE43D522-2A9C-4F90-90F3-8EFED3B478F2.jpeg

39426FBB-F9E2-4A3A-AACA-825B545CCA12.jpeg

0020346C-E63D-41B0-AA96-2E8135F3C237.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dog said:

To:OP- interesting- I see many cabins available to book. Thanks 

Agree, that seems too high, especially for a short Alaska cruise, only visiting Ketchikan, not RT embarkation port, and early in the season.

But, it was asked and that's the answer we got so we have to take that at face value I guess.

I've been checking regularly and based on available cabins and some of the very inexpensive prices, it seems more like 60% full, although I'm sure they always try to oversell.

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

So, just catching up while we are in port in San Francisco.  Since we live so close, we are staying onboard and enjoying the perfect weather from our balcony. 

We are enjoying the cruise immensely … it’s the second half of our B2B and we will be disembarking in Vancouver on Wednesday.  Wish we could stay onboard for an additional 4 days.  
we have a midship obstructed balcony on deck 8.  No obstruction whatsoever unless you look straight down.  We re above Sur La Mer and last week, the music from the deck below 2as obviously loud but a message on Crew Chat fixed that issue.  The only other issue we’ve had is that our toilet was leaking a bit … a crew chat message was sent and it was fixed within the hour.  Wow!  Great feature!  

So, for all the good stuff … our cabin is wonderful and in a great location.  I’d book it gain in a heart beat.  Our room steward is top notch!  
The service everywhere on the ship has been outstanding!  The food, with very few exceptions, has also been excellent.  
The ship is drop dead gorgeous!  I love the layout and all the little nooks for sitting to have a coffee or drink.  
The entertainment is phenomenal.  We absolutely raves about both production shows, Rock Opera and Starlight Bar!  Of note, there are no try’s or drink holders in the theater.  I think that is a great idea.  Aileen and Sticks are a most awesome duet and Darren Dowler, will be in the theater tonight. 

We are so happy to be entertained by such wonderful performers. 

There are quite a few less passengers on this sailing the previous one, which is so nice.  We’ve been spoiled with such low capacity since the return to service … good for the cruiselines, though. There are still some obvious supply shortages but nothing that has bothered us too much.  
There is no Vines on this ship but the Crown Grill Bar and Crooners are lovely substitutions.  The crew even helped to locate seats for us during packed performances.  ❤️
The Crown Grill Bar has some nice wines but just switched over from the Wheelsouse Bar last week.  There are no longer wine flights available.  It’s still a nice relaxing place to enjoy a glass of wine, nonetheless.  All wine is now served in nice glasses … wow!  That’s so great … hope that policy lasts a very long time.  

There are nice touches a board … soap and lotion is now all in dispensers.  Paper invites are no longer the norm .. I love the efforts to not use so much paper.  They don’t print out the photos but have them available in the photo shop digitally.  They don’t service the passenger cabins twice daily, which is excellent for us!  We never want for anything!  
The process for the In Transit passengers was so organized.  There were almost 250 of us and I think we were off and back on the ship in less than 15 minutes.  

I would love to know what room number you are in for future reference. THANKS