Air freshener?

pootsien2

I just returned from a 5-day Cabo cruise on the Discovery Princess. I enjoyed the cruise, however my cabin had a bad odor which was noticeable to me as soon as I walked in and whenever I didn't have the balcony door open! I asked my room steward to spray with some air freshener but it still didn't smell good. I guess it may have been lingering cigarette smoke. Next cruise i will bring something, but what? Thanks for suggestions. 

47 minutes ago, pootsien2 said:

I just returned from a 5-day Cabo cruise on the Discovery Princess. I enjoyed the cruise, however my cabin had a bad odor which was noticeable to me as soon as I walked in and whenever I didn't have the balcony door open! I asked my room steward to spray with some air freshener but it still didn't smell good. I guess it may have been lingering cigarette smoke. Next cruise i will bring something, but what? Thanks for suggestions. 

May have been the head. Air freshener will accomplish zero in that case. Engineering is best equipped to handle plumbing odors. Smoky drapes? Steward should’ve changed them out before you arrived. Same goes with anything involving fabric.

Bringing air freshener? A better question might be “on which other cruise line(s) would I not need it?”

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

May have been the head. Air freshener will accomplish zero in that case. Engineering is best equipped to handle plumbing odors.

Since Discovery Princess is so new, the odors may be due to a new ship's sometimes "teething problems".  The Room Steward should have informed his/her Supervisor of the issue; then the Chief Housekeeper; then the Engineering Department.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pootsien2 said:

We bring these: https://www.amazon.com/Renuzit-Adjustables-Freshener-Breeze-Ounce/dp/B004IWO4TE/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?crid=IJ5KPQ8RIUJA&keywords=renuzit+odor+neutralizer&qid=1651521180&sprefix=renuzit+odor%2Caps%2C229&sr=8-10

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

May have been the head.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Since Discovery Princess is so new, the odors may be due to a new ship's sometimes "teething problems".

I would suspect the bathroom floor drain has a dried out trap.  This is not the shower floor drain, there is another drain for the rest of the bathroom, typically either a gutter across the doorway, or a round drain tucked under the toilet.  A glass of water down this drain stops the odor almost immediately.  With a new ship, likely the crew have not gotten into the habit of pouring water down these drains.  This is not the first cabin smell thread I've seen on Discovery.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Since Discovery Princess is so new, the odors may be due to a new ship's sometimes "teething problems".  The Room Steward should have informed his/her Supervisor of the issue; then the Chief Housekeeper; then the Engineering Department.  

Yes, I bet that is where the stench originated! The steward didn't seem to know what I was referring to! He offered to clean the carpet! I wish that I had known about those drains, I'm sure I won't be the only one complaining. It is the first in 20 cruises that I have had that issue. Thanks! I also will bring one of those solid air fresheners next time. 

I always bring one of the little cardboard fresheners that are made for use in a car.

Some cheap ones are downright nasty, but Fabreeze makes a few pleasant scents.

Find them in the car care section of WalMart or any hardware store.

Yes sometimes it's the drain, but sometimes it's just dirty carpet, or a malodorous former occupant / kids.

I just came back from a cruise and was blasted with "dirty feet" smell as soon as I first  opened the cabin door.

Air freshener card to the rescue! 

3 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I always bring one of the little cardboard fresheners that are made for use in a car.

Some cheap ones are downright nasty, but Fabreeze makes a few pleasant scents.

Find them in the car care section of WalMart or any hardware store.

Yes sometimes it's the drain, but sometimes it's just dirty carpet, or a malodorous former occupant / kids.

I just came back from a cruise and was blasted with "dirty feet" smell as soon as I first  opened the cabin door.

Air freshener card to the rescue! 

Gross!

• Like 1

When it comes to air fresheners, I usually slummed it with travel-size Axe body spray.  It's been used by middle school boys to attract girls since the day it was invented, but I improvise it as a bathroom air freshener.   The bottles are small and cheap enough to simply discard at the end of my cruise, I can spray them like full-size Glade air fresheners, and they block out bathroom odors pretty well.

That said, I use them for odors caused by toilet usage, because ship bathrooms don't have exhaust vents like land bathrooms do.  That said, I never had to deal with musty-type smells in my cabin, and hopefully, I'll never have to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

That said, I use them for odors caused by toilet usage, because ship bathrooms don't have exhaust vents like land bathrooms do.

Every cruise ship cabin I know of has an exhaust vent in the bath, it just doesn't have a switch, it runs 24/7.

14 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Every cruise ship cabin I know of has an exhaust vent in the bath, it just doesn't have a switch, it runs 24/7.

I didn't notice this on any of the cruises I've been on.  I didn't hear any fan whatsoever; the bathroom was dead silent.  Then again, they were all on Fantasy class ships; maybe they don't have bathroom exhaust fans, while newer ships probably do.  So that travel-size Axe body spray sure came in handy.

13 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I didn't notice this on any of the cruises I've been on.  I didn't hear any fan whatsoever; the bathroom was dead silent.  Then again, they were all on Fantasy class ships; maybe they don't have bathroom exhaust fans, while newer ships probably do.

Nope, every ship has one.  It is not a fan in each bathroom, it is a common exhaust fan for many cabins so the fan is not heard.  There will be a round vent in the wall.  Every cabin gets a certain amount of fresh air delivered, and the bathroom exhaust balances out removing the same amount of stale air.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Nope, every ship has one.  It is not a fan in each bathroom, it is a common exhaust fan for many cabins so the fan is not heard.  There will be a round vent in the wall.  Every cabin gets a certain amount of fresh air delivered, and the bathroom exhaust balances out removing the same amount of stale air.

Well, that's different.  But the fan strength was still too weak to pull out the post-shower steam and the bathroom usage odors.  Plus now, after Covid, we need stronger fans to facilitate air exchange, preferably from outside and not just recirculating the ship air.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

8 hours ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Well, that's different.  But the fan strength was still too weak to pull out the post-shower steam and the bathroom usage odors.  Plus now, after Covid, we need stronger fans to facilitate air exchange, preferably from outside and not just recirculating the ship air.

All ships bring in fresh air constantly, even before covid.  And, the only recirculated air in your cabin is recirculated from your cabin.  You get no air into your cabin from any other cabin or public space.  The air exchange rate on cruise ships is the same as used by the HVAC industry, or slightly greater, again even pre-covid.  The exhaust fans are not designed to remove bathroom odors in a "burst" fashion like your home bathroom fan.  The exhaust fan and the fresh air inlet fan are balanced to provide slightly more air supply than is exhausted, so there is a small overpressure in the cabin, compared to the passageway outside.  This overpressure leaks out under the cabin door, so that no air from the passageway enters the cabin, even when the door is opened.  This is designed to prevent smoke in the passageway from entering cabins, and also provides the newer benefit of not having cross-contamination of airborne viruses between cabins.  If you had bathroom fans like you have at home, each time someone switched one on, it would drop the air pressure in that cabin, and unbalance the entire HVAC zone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

All ships bring in fresh air constantly, even before covid.... [truncated]  

That's very good information! 👍  Now I know.  Still, I'm sure cruise lines will modify their systems to pull in more air from outside, after Covid has been around.  I'm not afraid of it, but I do like the idea of breathing ocean air even when I can't open the windows/portholes, or worse, staying in an inside cabin.

That said, I spent 95% of the time on the ship (when not sleeping) on the Lido deck or in various public indoor spaces.  So the bathroom cabin thing is a minor issue.  The sprays I served their purpose well.

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The exhaust fan and the fresh air inlet fan are balanced to provide slightly more air supply than is exhausted, so there is a small overpressure in the cabin, compared to the passageway outside.  This overpressure leaks out under the cabin door, so that no air from the passageway enters the cabin, even when the door is opened. 

I appreciate your explanation of this!  I have noticed air leaking out under the cabin door when I would be in the hallway,  but, never thought anything about it.  That would be a safety factor for the guest in case there is a fire aboard and smoke in the hallway.  Thank you!  

On 5/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, cruizergal70 said:

On 5/5/2022 at 8:43 AM, Reina del Mar said:

We always bring a little something with us, just in case of a "smelly" situation, and both of these options work well, especially since spaces are so small.  

Just remembered something that used to work for us….Purex three in one washing sheets. Keep some in suitcases to keep them fresh..easier to carry than sprays. Sadly they don’t seem available in supermarkets these days but similar items can be found in Amazon..not sure if the scent is as strong though.

I must be on a roll now, as Lush bar shampoo/conditioner have strong scents that send fragrance around rooms.

Edited by Reina del Mar

Look up delimoline. It's a citrus derivative....it's citrus oils

Look for scent/scent removal products that are citrus and have a small percentage of delimoline/citrus oil. You can even make your own and put in a small 3oz TSA-legal spritzer.

Green Gobbler makes an orange oil cleaner (does work good) and you mix just a tiny bit with water, it's kills any smell....naturally. 

https://fragranceconservatory.com/ingredient/limonene

Edited by EngIceDave

• 2 weeks later...